What's new

There will be NO expansion of the exclusive club

Seems I have to spell out my statement long hand.

1. France supports India's bid for UNSC because it knows others will block the motion.
2. Greece supports Turkey's bid for EU because it knows others will block the motion.
3. India is willing to dismantle all her nuclear weapons if the US, Russia, China, etc. dismantle theirs because it knows others will block the motion.

There doesn't need to be any conflict between France and India for France to play duplicitous games. As others have noted, why on Earth would an exclusive club allow more members? The UN is as relevant or irrelevant as it has always been. India may think the world revolves around her, but adding India to the UNSC will have zero impact on how the rest of the world perceives the UN.

France has traditionally always opposed US and UK on many issues, and moreover, it does not has the leverage that US has on India…so supporting India for UNSC is actually a way of negating US influence. When the question of support arises, I am sure France won’t back track for that matter neither will UK and Russia, but the key is US as has been proved in Indo US nuclear deal

However, on the issue of India entry into UNSC making UN relevant, I agree with you.

China has already supported India's motion. Don't blame us. It is the US that is blocking your bid.

China verbally supporting india because china know US will block the bid but I doubt China will support india when US willing to support india's bid.

The only world changing solution is to dissolve the UNSC. No country should have the right to Veto anything that has been passed by the entire World

Thar could be a 'should be' but definitely not a 'would be' :toast_sign:
If all these Veto power hopeful nations suddenly shifted their minds to dissolving the UNSC it would come crumbling down within an year.

You will see the entire world rally up with them.

Last edited:
China verbally supporting india because china know US will block the bid but I doubt China will support india when US willing to support india's bid.

china will support india , it will be make up with few economic deals with china...

The US is in no mood to weaken its grip on the UNSC any further.

India is not bidding for itself,it is bidding for G-4,though it is true that U.S want g-4 inside security council without veto power

Britain, France and even Russia won't help India out either, they know to speak good words when they know fully well America won't hesitate one bit to use its Veto to India's Veto Powers.

U r totally wrong here,first of all both the nation's never had any conflicting interest with India,and they r two members which protected India every time at the security council with their veto power,i confirm they will b the only members inside SC who will back India

If India truly wants to make its mark on the world, then help us get rid of the UNSC, not mess it up any further. General Assembly should vote on everything and majority wins. Thats it.

Definitely,but that is nothing we can control,for that not only India,but the rest of the world should stand together and speak to stop this monopoly

Seems I have to spell out my statement long hand.

1. France supports India's bid for UNSC because it knows others will block the motion.

Thats a very serious assumption without any logical basis in support of it whatsoever.

They just dont give these type of messgaes on the official website of the Embassy of France with those kind of intentions..do they.?

Our two countries work together to strengthen international cooperation on major economic and geostrategic issues. In this sense that France supports the participation of India as a permanent member of UN Security and the transformation of the G8 into the G14 including India.

Message de l?Ambassadeur : Le site Internet de l?Ambassade. - French Embassy in India - Ambassade de France en Inde

Anyways I admire your optimism that somehow India's bid will be blocked.You could have just said US/China may block the move.
But attributing a move to the French,that is diametrically opposite to their government's stated position is a bit far....

Please refrain from making weird logic like 'because they know others will block it'. Just because you know it, doesn't make it stated position of said countries.

Ok guys.. why this fight? Lets leave it.

Because Pakistan does not want India to become a UNSC permanent member India will not get it. Leave Pakistanis alone... let them enjoy themselves till India gets in...

and by the way,it is not up to security council to decide on this matter,thr entire general assembly will vote

Sooner or later there will be expansion in permanent seat for UNSC for sure....and INDIA is less opposed contender from the G4

Some very nice discussion going on here. kudos.

For once I agree with my Pakistani friends on this issue.

Whilst, having a permanent membership on UNSC is good, but this isn't the priority no.1 for us. The aggressive way we are pressing for a permanent membership, if we had channeled this aggression into the other top priority jobs in hand, would have resulted in other people inviting us to join UNSC.

And those most pertaining issues, if one is a true patriot, can be gathered here from the posts of the most pronounced India bashers in this forum. While their motive behind these India bashing posts are ulterior, the truth behind their posts are not.

Poverty eradication, Removal of corruption, caste-ism, homogenous development, toilets, slums, complete denouncement of religious/ racist intolerance, Human rights etc. etc. are the most important goal in front of us rather then running after UNSC seat like a small boy running after candy. We are yet to be fair and matured enough to go for global policing work when the need of the hour to put our own house in order. Isn't it apparent from the constant self-praising by our immature medias and most of the posters here? Being patriotic is one thing but it should not make us close our eyes to the most pertinent issues in hand.

Development does not mean glittering opening/-closing ceremony of CWG, but it means big stride towards homogeneity. Ten thousand people having half the world's wealth while Millions go to bed empty stomach cannot be a sign of true development. Both China and India has yet to see the actual development in this regards.

Do pardon my cynicism.

Actually, this issue is probably one of the most reliable measures of actual global power. There has been a lot of talk about superpower this and superpower that but, when the chips are down, there is only one superpower on the planet.

Let's face it, if France leaves the UNSC, nobody's going to notice. Same for England and Russia and, at least for now, China. But if the US decides to leave the UN, then it truly will become an irrelevant side show. It also means that, as long the others feel confident the US will oppose India's entry, they can make all the pronouncements they like.

The main reason why China and Russia support India's entry into the UNSC is not because they love India but because they want to dilute the West's power -- specifically the US-Britain duo. Of course, India also knows it and doesn't care as long as it gets their support.

France is a funny one. On the one hand, they don't want to dilute one of the few symbols of power they retain in a world where they are increasingly being relegated to second tier. On the other hand, they can't resist 'sticking it' to the Anglos (US-UK): on many foreign policy issues, France usually takes the exact opposite view as the US.

Now, coming to Britain, this is one of a handful of issues where British foreign policy differs from their trans-Atlantic cousins. With their economy in doldrums, Britain may well decide to suck up to India. Britain will continue to vote in lock-step with all US motions and, if there is a fight on a particular issue, it will be the US which leads the charge -- with Britain chiming in a predicable 'me too', so whether India is there or not won't make any difference.

That only leaves the US. Will it continue to oppose India's entry, as France is betting? And will France change its tune if the US supports India? The second question is easier to answer: the French will not stand in India's way if everybody else is on board. Only the US -- the only real superpower -- has the luxury to have a dissenting voice and, chances are, the US will eventually relent and allow India into the UNSC. As stated earlier, India is not a threat to US global power.

Back
Top Bottom