What's new

The Plight of the Adivasis, Indian State Terrorism & the Moist Rebellion

Thats not half of the worries ....its the planting of IED's on roads, derailing train tracks etc ....its basically Terrorism .....

I see.

Well, urbanization is still good for providing infrastructure, healthcare, education and policing, to people who might otherwise not have gotten any. Education alone should be enough to stop many of the recruits from joining up.

However, as a downside, I think terrorists can hide just as well in big cities as they can in tribal areas.

This Maoist problem can be solved if new urban centres can be established in these jungles and 'outsiders' should be encouraged to settle there. With the mixing of people, both tribals and maoists will loose their dominance.

That's the main problem ...the mentality of the Tribal people ...they don't wish to mix , dont wish to modernize .....

Now the dilemma the Govt struggles with is that is it morally/ethically right to shove modernity down their throats ..or do we allow them the freedom to make that decision at the cost of progress of our nation and internal peace .

And of course we are no China , Human Rights organizations who raise a hue and cry over every minor issue are given full license here....

I see.

Well, urbanization is still good for providing infrastructure, healthcare, education and policing, to people who might otherwise not have gotten any. Education alone should be enough to stop many of the recruits from joining up.

However, I think terrorists can hide quite well in big cities also.

If ur definition of education is going to a room on daily basis and cramming stuff up then its not gonna change anything

Thats not half of the worries ....its the planting of IED's on roads, derailing train tracks etc ....its basically Terrorism .....

They kill construction workers building roads and blow up railway stations in the name of protecting Tribals from the so called 'oppressors'. It reminds me of Modus Operandi of some clans who deliberately keep their followers isolated from outside world.

If ur definition of education is going to a room on daily basis and cramming stuff up then its not gonna change anything

It did well for Hong Kong. We have one of the lowest crime rates on the planet.

That's the main problem ...the mentality of the Tribal people ...they don't wish to mix , dont wish to modernize .....

Now the dilemma the Govt struggles with is that is it morally/ethically right to shove modernity down their throats ..or do we allow them the freedom to make that decision at the cost of progress of our nation and internal peace .

And of course we are no China , Human Rights organizations who raise a hue and cry over every minor issue are given full license here....

The britishers were doing the exact same thing to us and we called it abuse.Britishers also thought that they were leading us into a better , a more civilized world. To these adivasis our govt is no different than britishers.

And when u classify their acts as terrorism think of Bhagat singh and other revolutionaries that India treats as heroes

I am from Orissa. You can't compare with 1970 with 2011. At that time, no one has electricity. Now no electricity in tribal areas.
Problem with tribal leaders. Our district is boarder to andhra pradesh. before 2002, no issues. After heavy operation in there, most naxal leader came to our district. And problem started.

Wrong, major towns and cities had electricity but power only reached my home village in the late 1970s and these tribal areas due to the lack of contact with outsiders are lagging behind rest of India by decades if not by a century or two. So it will take time.

Due the fact that you are from Orissa, can you throw light on the problem why some Tribals are against POSCO project. I heard POSCO project will destroy their beetle farms. Is it true?

They kill construction workers building roads and blow up railway stations in the name of protecting Tribals from the so called 'oppressors'. It reminds me of Modus Operandi of some clans who deliberately keep their followers isolated from outside world.

That reminds me of Bhagat Singh

The britishers were doing the exact same thing to us and we called it abuse.Britishers also thought that they were leading us into a better , a more civilized world. To these adivasis our govt is no different than britishers.

And when u classify their acts as terrorism think of Bhagat singh and other revolutionaries that India treats as heroes

I agree. So do you want the Tribals to be left alone as we had done for centuries, letting them languish in perpetual poverty.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

That reminds me of Bhagat Singh

Bhagat Singh did not blew up railway stations.

It did well for Hong Kong. We have one of the lowest crime rates on the planet.

yeah but that is way too small a sample set to base generalisations on.In India even the most skilled guys ( phds) are without jobs. I read an article few days ago where a govt univ in India advertised for 10 clerical posts and more than 50 phds applied for the same.

I see.

However, as a downside, I think terrorists can hide just as well in big cities as they can in tribal areas.

Agreed with your point.Proper education,more means to support their life style will bring the tribals to the main stream.Afterall the grievance of the rebels is due to the negligence towards them.
Lots of positive steps have been taken.The Union ministries now have to allocate separate funds specially for tribal welfare and that is in addition to the annual budget allocated for improvement of infrastructure in the tribal areas.

A report on the same :

Ministries urged to allocate separate funds for tribal welfare

NEW DELHI: Beginning 2011-12 fiscal, Union ministries may have to earmark funds for exclusive welfare of tribals even if they make roads that are used by all communities, give telephones across social divisions and provide food without consideration of caste.

As Union budget is presented this Monday, tribal affairs minister Kantilal Bhuria has written to all his colleagues that they earmark funds under the Tribal Sub Plan (TSP) as per their financial obligation marked by the Planning Commission's task force, headed by Narendra Jadhav.
He has also asked them to separately mention the TSP funds for every scheme in the Budget Estimates. A copy of Jadhav committee report has been attached to the letter.

The 1974-promulgated sub-plan states that every ministry should spend money on tribal welfare in proportion to the community's population (8.2%). But the plan, devised to ensure that marginalised groups get a share in development, has been a non-starter. The stock objection from most ministries has been: how do they spend money on tribals when their projects cater to all social groups?

Bhuria hopes the Jadhav committee will settle the debate on plan quantification for tribals in infrastructure and civic amenities, which has proved tricky and largely been the reason behind its not taking off.

The Jadhav panel divided Union ministries into three categories -- those which are to spend less than 7.5%, those between 7.5% and 8.2% and those above 8.2%.

The first category covers ministries where division of money specifically for tribals is not easy. The panel devised a formula and arrived at a figure. The telecommunications department is to spend 0.25% of its outlay, road transport and highways (3.5%), IT department (6.6%), textiles (1.2%), food and public distribution (1.4%), culture (2%), science and technology (2.5%).

The figure shot up to 8.2%, thanks to ministries catering to human development like higher education, youth affairs, sports, women and child development and health, family welfare and also coal.

The expectation is much higher from rural development (17.5%), school education (10.7%) and drinking water (10%).
The Jadhav committee also devised a similar formula for Scheduled Caste Sub Plan in which the plan financial obligation for dalits is 16.2%.

Source

I agree. So do you want the Tribals to be left alone as we had done for centuries, letting them languish in perpetual poverty.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Have u ever heard of Kakory robbery. google it and learn

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

who r we to make decisions on their behalf. Let them be the judge of their own life. All we can do is lend a helping hand.Unfortunately that helping hand is killing them let alone raise them out of poverty.

who r we to make decisions on their behalf. Let them be the judge of their own life. All we can do is lend a helping hand.Unfortunately that helping hand is killing them let alone raise them out of poverty.

Then we can throw IPC into Indian Ocean and let a free hand to every single Indian to run his life as the way he seems fit. Who are we to make decisions on their behalf?

You are comparing a train robbery (which Maoists also do) to deliberate targeting of infrastructure along with the persons building/maintaining that infrastructure.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

The law of the country holds supreme.It applies to all Indian,irrespective of being a tribal or non-tribal.you cannot just go on bloeing up roads and killing people just because you think that it is the right way to protest.

Then we can throw IPC into Indian Ocean and let a free hand to every single Indian to run his life as the way he seems fit. Who are we to make decisions on their behalf?

Do not forget that India was never a single unified country before the britishers. A part of the reason being so much cultural diversity throughout India. Once India was concieved , every Indian was given a right to freedom.Clearly in this case this has not been respected.....

So yeah throw IPC in the ocean coz there is none for these helpless guys anyways

Back
Top Bottom