What's new

The Indian within

a very oversimplified explanation . .

if that was the case. . Aam Aadmi party would have got nothing in the Delhi elections. . Modi wave has got more to do with the failures of the current government :coffee:

Of course it is over simplification, modi is talking about development and his riot free 10 years record (which is good for development) and thats what the common middle class wants.

The over simplified mind of pakistani begins with Modi = Osama, I know its retarded but thats how it is. OTOH the average Pakistani is unhappy Osama is dead, but worries himself sick that Indian middle class is becoming less tolerant LOL!

It never ceases to amaze me how these Lahoriyas & Karachiwalas think that Pakistan is restricted to the bourgeoisie of these two cities & these two cities alone !

Most of Punjab isn't culturally very similar to Indian Punjab let alone the Saraiki, the Hindko, Potowhari or Gojri Belt !

And what of the Baluch, Sindhi & Pukhtoon Belt ? How does one keep on white-washing them whenever the Culture or rather the Culture (s) of Pakistan are discussed ?

And what of the Gilgiti & the Baltis ? They - like Northern Punjab - have cultural similarities with Occupied Kashmir not with India !

I have no qualms over appreciating the commonalities between the two of us whether Cultural or Linguistic but blowing them out of proportion against all sense of reason & proportion is either moronic or the author & not the rest of us is guilty of a confused identity !

most of pak punjab from lahore to bahawalpur and sialkot/jhelum/attock have many cultural simialrities with Indian. Punjab till delhi,it is a fact and thats because there r numerous people who used to travel between delhi n peshawar.

i dont know the narrative of your bourgouise but what u say is not true.

Baloch/Pashtuns/Sindhis may be different.

very positive article .....
and a well written too.....
both BD and pakistan share the cultural similarity with india.....and follow the same..but fear to acknowledge it.......
may be we will have peaceful relation in future ......
and one thing more we need to give up our hate rather than bloom love and friendship......
paksitan need to give up its fear on india.....india was never interested in pakistan.....we have our own problems to handle....

@Developereo You also forgot the accusation that Right wingers throw around of Pseudo-secularism implying that they themselves are secular. :-)

As I understand it, the right wingers are not claiming the mantle of secularism for themselves. They are accusing the "pseudo-secularists" for supporting laws which, according to the right wingers, violate secularism.

That accusation betrays a narrow understanding of secularism without context. It is true that a truly secularist government would not pass laws based on religion. However, it is also true that any responsible government will pass laws to assist a minority facing systematic discrimination (on whatever basis).

So, if a person faces discrimination by virtue being a Muslim or a low-caste Hindu or having dark skin, then it is incumbent upon the government to pass laws that redress such discrimination.

The right wingers erroneously point to such legislation as violating secularism.

@Developereo Really?

Because Indians in the North-East and the Southern parts dismiss the aloofness of the Delhi Elite.

India's urban elite are a mix of different ethnicities. You have Delhi elites, Mumbai elites, Tamil elites, Bengali elites, etc. etc.

Also another Modi tactic, to berate the English speaking, colonised Brown Sahibs in charge of the country and speak for the 'common' Man, whilst taking the help of the captains of industry.

Modi is a demagog.

He knows that the Indian nation as a whole, and Hindus in particular, are yearning for someone who will shout their pride from the rooftops. While that is fine by itself, and I have no issues with it, Modi also uses the anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant card when convenient.

Of course it is over simplification, modi is talking about development and his riot free 10 years record (which is good for development) and thats what the common middle class wants.

The over simplified mind of pakistani begins with Modi = Osama, I know its retarded but thats how it is. OTOH the average Pakistani is unhappy Osama is dead, but worries himself sick that Indian middle class is becoming less tolerant LOL!

but i expect better from the Title Holders . . . .irrespective of their nationalities . . . is it something too much to ask for ? :coffee:

As a Urdu-speaking Karachiite, I have to say you are absolutely right.

The myopia and arrogance of the urban elite is quite astonishing. Far from appreciating Pakistan's diversity, these people routinely dismiss these groups you mentioned.

As an Urdu-speaking Lahoriyaa - I see the myopia & the arrogance every day; I don't know why being more attuned to our cultural roots involves paying homage to North Indian Culture or even that of Indian Punjab ? I can't understand why people don't realize that Pakistan lies at the crossroads of three major sub-continents or unique geographic entities - South Asia, Central Asia & the Middle East, which gives us a unique blend of ethnic, linguistic, historic & geographic paradigms !

That said I have no qualms over appreciating the similarities between Pakistan & Afghanistan, Pakistan & Iran & Pakistan & India but there is a difference between appreciating similarities & white-washing everything with the same 'brush' !

Its so sad & depressing !

He did cover those groups as well, am guessing you didn't read the entire article.

I did read the entire article !

These 'groups' are more than 90% of Pakistan; his 'similarities' don't extend beyond the Suburbs of Lahore or Karachi let alone the entireity of those Provinces !

As an Urdu-speaking Lahoriyaa - I see the myopia & the arrogance every day; I don't know why being more attuned to our cultural roots involves paying homage to North Indian Culture or even that of Indian Punjab ? I can't understand why people don't realize that Pakistan lies at the crossroads of three major sub-continents or unique geographic entities - South Asia, Central Asia & the Middle East, which gives us a unique blend of ethnic, linguistic, historic & geographic paradigms !

That said I have no qualms over appreciating the similarities between Pakistan & Afghanistan, Pakistan & Iran & Pakistan & India but there is a difference between appreciating similarities & white-washing everything with the same 'brush' !

Its so sad & depressing !

I think we should probably cut the author some slack and accept that he is talking about his own views. He is not speaking for the average Balochi or the average Pakhtun.

As a Karachiiite, I agree with him on many points since there is no denying the strong cultural connections with India.

My only comment was about his characterization of what's happening within India.

Back
Top Bottom