What's new

The Health and Fitness Thread

I feel jealous of you younger guys. I am resticted to cardio exercises and keeping fat index as low as possible. When I was younger I did do some heavy pumping. My brother whose a cop does some workout to keep fit but he also has to be able to move fast. So his regime is strength/speed/stamina ~ all round fitness in keeping with his job

Gi0PLvU.png

I feel jealous of you younger guys. I am resticted to cardio exercises and keeping fat index as low as possible. When I was younger I did do some heavy pumping. My brother whose a cop does some workout to keep fit but he also has to be able to move fast. So his regime is strength/speed/stamina ~ all round fitness in keeping with his job

You look like David Schwimmer :P
tdy_lauer_davd_160519.today-inline-vid-featured-desktop.jpg

@I.R.A , can you tell me how to remove belly and waist fat??

All in all, I want to look like this :

jackalpants.jpg

How can I achieve this with push-ups and other exercise that can be done without going to a gym?? How much can I do without weights??

I do two kinds of push-ups :

(1). The sliding push-up ( raising the hips high towards the back, sliding forward using the arms. moving the head high to the front ). This I do 12 reps.

2. The normal push, which I do 21 reps.

I try to do this routine at least once a day.

Last edited:

Cardio. End of story.

Also if you bulk up muscle it helps a lot....because then you can go into a lower carb diet too and your body metabolism will burn up the fat even if you are just sitting/sleeping. But you must bulk up the muscle (push ups are fine, also do squats + pull ups at least too to target the largest muscles in the body) first....thats crucial.

(1). The sliding push-up ( raising the hips high towards the back, sliding forward using the arms. moving the head high to the front ). This I do 12 reps.

How many sets do you do?

Its best to give a day in between the workouts (give a chance to body to recuperate and build muscle) and go harder at the workouts (reps and sets to failure etc, a cpl minute break between em etc) when you do them.

Also experiment with all hand positions for pushups and also the body inclines you can do. I find I get a much better pump and long term results if I mix in incline pushups, (spaced far enough from my shoulder day) for example.

@django

jackalpants.jpg

How can I achieve this with push-ups and other exercise that can be done without going to a gym?? How much can I do without weights??

Do a lot of squats and eat sensibly.Kudos bhai

Cardio. End of story.

Also if you bulk up muscle it helps a lot....because then you can go into a lower carb diet too and your body metabolism will burn up the fat even if you are just sitting/sleeping. But you must bulk up the muscle (push ups are fine, also do squats + pull ups at least too to target the largest muscles in the body) first....thats crucial.

How many sets do you do?

Its best to give a day in between the workouts (give a chance to body to recuperate and build muscle) and go harder at the workouts (reps and sets to failure etc, a cpl minute break between em etc) when you do them.

Also experiment with all hand positions for pushups and also the body inclines you can do. I find I get a much better pump and long term results if I mix in incline pushups, (spaced far enough from my shoulder day) for example.

@django
Try deadlifts bhai, work so many muscles of the body.Kudos bhai

Yah if you have access to barbells and gym I can give really great routine I use right now (squat, deadlift (mixed with RDL), bench press, shoulder press etc). But I'm not sure what jamahir (and others in this thread) has access/time/interest for.

Bodyweight + dumbell regimens are really all you need to hit a good percentile (w.r.t time/cost) compared to most people if you know how to use them effectively.

Cardio. End of story.

Okay.

And will crunches and side leg-lifts work??

Also if you bulk up muscle it helps a lot....because then you can go into a lower carb diet too and your body metabolism will burn up the fat even if you are just sitting/sleeping. But you must bulk up the muscle

My goal is to be like Edward Fox in that picture. Slimly muscular.

Here's another pic of him from 'The day of the jackal' :

jackal75car-main.jpg

(push ups are fine, also do squats + pull ups at least too to target the largest muscles in the body) first....thats crucial.

Okay.

About pull-ups, earlier I used to stay in another room which had a ledge and I could do 20 pull-ups. Later I moved to another room which didn't have a ledge.

But I should be able to join a gym in another three or four months, so I can do the pull-ups and even the cardio then.

How many sets do you do?

Push-ups, nowadays once per day, but I try to do two.

Okay.

How does one know what hand positions are working??

And what are incline push-ups?? The same as the slide push-up I mentioned in my last post??

And what do you think of this vid and this vid??

Do a lot of squats and eat sensibly.Kudos bhai

In what different ways do squats help??

About eating, in 2013 my weight was 45 kg but then I started eating two egg parathas a day and in a few months my weight became 74 kg. I am not tall and wish to convert the weight to lean muscle.

Yah if you have access to barbells and gym I can give really great routine I use right now (squat, deadlift (mixed with RDL), bench press, shoulder press etc). But I'm not sure what jamahir (and others in this thread) has access/time/interest for.

When I join a gym in three or four months, or perhaps buy a bar-bell ( and the weights ), I will be able to do dead-lifts.

Bodyweight + dumbell regimens are really all you need to hit a good percentile (w.r.t time/cost) compared to most people if you know how to use them effectively.

Okay.

Last edited:
They will help release more growth hormone which will help muscle growth, the reason for this is the biggest muscles in the body are in the legs.Kudos bhai

About eating, in 2013 my weight was 45 kg but then I started eating two egg parathas a day and in a few months my weight became 74 kg. I am not tall and wish to convert the weight to lean muscle.
:o::o::o: That is downright unhealthy whereas 74kg seems in normal range, mind me asking your height bhai

And will crunches and side leg-lifts work??

These are OK, dont make your main exericise regimen tho and definitely not for belly fat reduction. "Spot reduction" is a complete myth....right out there with the slimming pills and stuff like that.

Ab crunches (and other general aesthetic ones like bicep curls, calf raises etc) are good to do on cardio day timing wise for me.

But you need dedicated days for the proper anabolic barbell exercises like squats, deadlift, presses etc AND/OR their bodyweight/dumbell equivalents (at a minimum). These will grow all your muscles organically (including abs) more than any aesthetic popularised one will....and also promote overall fat burning (and sugar burning) metabolism over time.

My goal is to be like Edward Fox in that picture. Slimly muscular.

K keep to bodyweight regimen (with spot of dumbell work) then. You wont get too bulked up (esp if you control the food intake in proportion too) but get a good tone and slimmer muscle look.

After a year or so can judge where you are and see if you want to bulk more or its fine. It can be better scaled from that point too (once you got into the mode of it and know what you like and prefer overall etc and what is producing results you like).

Important thing is to always structure the exercise so that entire body is getting targetted, no matter what level/scale/aesthetic goal you are operating to.

Like if you have no time etc, but access to a pool, swimming is also a perfect way scaled for each person and scaleable over time (increasing intensity, duration etc), it does everything together (cardio and full muscle workout as long as you do an assortment of strokes)....and you dont have to think so much about are you getting enough of this and that balance etc.

Okay.

About pull-ups, earlier I used to stay in another room which had a ledge and I could do 20 pull-ups. Later I moved to another room which didn't have a ledge.

But I should be able to join a gym in another three or four months, so I can do the pull-ups and even the cardio then.

Good. Can alternate between chin ups (palms facing toward you) and pull ups (reverse). Former targets biceps bit more, latter the back more. Remember to keep your core nice and compact too....dont let upper body sag etc.

Equivalent in gym can also be the lat pull downs etc. You can also try dumbell rows for specific targetting of back.

How does one know what hand positions are working??

Basically if you fail earlier at them, means something regarding them is not as developed in your body, and focus on those more for a bit etc. Over time you should be able to pump out a good number of any variant/position (wide, medium, narrow/diamond hand position....incline vs non incline body angle etc)....and add even more advanced ones as you like with time. Like I am seeking to do handstand pushes later this year which is basically a completely bodyweight shoulder press....but it needed a long time of doing inclines mixed in to develop the stabilisers and such as well.

Incline push up, sorry I guess its technically "decline" pushup:

Decline_Pushup1.png

I guess I dont do incline (which is reverse) where your hands rest on a higher surface to make it easier.

Also remember with push ups, when you feel like you have done your last one, its good to remain in the higher static position (i.e dont let your core touch the ground) and take a mini-rest and see if you can pump out a few more few seconds later etc....and do again...till you get to complete failure (And take the rest between sets). Then you can even try putting knees down and squeezing out some more that way. till you can't do anymore of those. Get the full maximum of the time you commit basically....and the state you put your body in (that it only gets in that opportunity). This promotes the deep muscle fiber creation.

Do remember to have adequate nutrition some time before and close after the activity.

Thats pretty crazy weight gain dude. As django said, check where region of your optimal BMI is to get overall idea of where your ideal "slim" weight (like say BMI of 20 -22) is.

Squats ( can start unweighted now, and move to dumbell and barbell later) are probably single best free weight exercise period...it targets several of your largest muscles all at once, lot of stabilizers too and as django said, creates anabolic environment long term. I would then rank deadlift, RDL and bench/shoulder press in that order.

This all basically means organic muscle growth at your pace/discretion....more muscles means higher rest calorie consumption. Which means if you have a good proper diet, your body will seek energy from any extra fat reserves over time (known as "cutting"). When those are depleted to equilibrium you will find you are lighter but higher muscle % and will find what level of diet will be needed to adequately nourish/develop that equilibrium long term.

Also stick to free weights wherever possible, the machines (leg presses, weighted cages, back machines etc) do not promote good stabiliser growth and your natural balance development (which is crucial for practical function over simple aesthetic). But you will need to look up the proper technique to doing squats, deadlifts right (preferablly have someone you know that knows stuff to spot you +correct you etc) starting right from the low weight (so you scale this up properly over time). Too many ppl I have seen have developed bad habits from poor form starting out and it has potential for long term injury esp as you add weight.

Lower abs and upper abs

Lower ........ leg raises (variations), knee ups, cycling, leg crunches etc etc

Upper ........ crunches, half sit ups, declined crunches, half crunches, twisters ...... planks ..... variations

Don't try one single routine for long, keep varying

and read this (I find the tips and exercises useful) website blogs for body weight exercises

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/?...ink&utm_campaign=runtastic_blog_runtastic_com

You will have your own look ......... sometimes you start to achieve something else and end achieving totally different results. Don't remain fixated its boring. Free yourself of these worries and enjoy your exercise routines.

Push ups mainly involve your pecs, shoulders, arms (triceps etc) ..... little to no involvement of your abdominal muscles. Pull ups similarly require upper body strength mainly arm strength .... planks (variations) on the other hand are core strengthening exercise, that involve different muscles.

Bring in the dips ..... another body weight exercise, variations of this exercise tend to target your different muscles involving pecs, lats, shoulders, triceps etc

Lunges ..... you can do it without weight or with weight (any home appliance etc which can be lifted in one hand easily)

Squats, kick backs ....... watch female fitness models (because they are more concerned about their thighs, inner thighs, glutes, thigh gap and lots of other female related crazy stuff) ...... I perfected my form after watching their videos and images. (If you can control your hormones, because they have seriously nice built bodies and curves :D)

Squats, kick backs ....... watch female fitness models (because they are more concerned about their thighs, inner thighs, glutes, thigh gap and lots of other female related crazy stuff) ...... I perfected my form after watching their videos and images. (If you can control your hormones, because they have seriously nice built bodies and curves :D)

ahaha :enjoy:

Lower abs and upper abs

Lower ........ leg raises (variations), knee ups, cycling, leg crunches etc etc

Upper ........ crunches, half sit ups, declined crunches, half crunches, twisters ...... planks ..... variations

Don't try one single routine for long, keep varying

and read this (I find the tips and exercises useful) website blogs for body weight exercises

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/?...ink&utm_campaign=runtastic_blog_runtastic_com

You will have your own look ......... sometimes you start to achieve something else and end achieving totally different results. Don't remain fixated its boring. Free yourself of these worries and enjoy your exercise routines.

Push ups mainly involve your pecs, shoulders, arms (triceps etc) ..... little to no involvement of your abdominal muscles. Pull ups similarly require upper body strength mainly arm strength .... planks (variations) on the other hand are core strengthening exercise, that involve different muscles.

Bring in the dips ..... another body weight exercise, variations of this exercise tend to target your different muscles involving pecs, lats, shoulders, triceps etc

Lunges ..... you can do it without weight or with weight (any home appliance etc which can be lifted in one hand easily)

Hi,

You are a smart kid---.

For that very reason---when boys first learn to dance---they dance like girls---because that is who they have been watching.

Back
Top Bottom