What's new

Stuck in Sichuan: Pakistani JF-17 Fighter Program Grounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohp

New Recruit

Reaction score
The military world has no shortage of irony. The defense industry has its moments too, as Pakistan just discovered. An aircraft whose development was driven by military sanctions from the US and Europe is now derailed by military sanctions. This leaves the Pakistani Air Force dependent on an alternative from... America. Meanwhile, the Chinese are left with no export launch customer for a plane they may now have to reluctantly buy themselves, instead of the favoured and more capable J-10. Somewhere in Delhi, champagne is pouring - but first, a bit of background.

The JF-17/FC-1 is a sub-$20 million fighter designed as a co-operative venture between Pakistan and China to replace F-7P (MiG-21+) and Mirage 3/5 aircraft in Pakistan's fleet. China also has options to produce them, but has made no firm decisions and seems unenthusiastic. It's a comparable peer for India's still-under-development LCA Tejas, Taiwan's ****-1 Ching Kuo fighters, and South Korea's T/A-50 Golden Eagle supersonic trainer & light fighter. Sino Defense reminds us that the JF-17/FC-1 'Xiaolong' has a long history...

The site recalls that China signed a $550 million agreement with Grumman in 1986 to modernise its J-7 fighter (MiG-21 copy) under the "Super-7" upgrade project, with US and British firms competing to provide the engine and avionics. The project was canceled after the Tienanmen Square massacre, but Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation managed to continue the programme with its own resources, and the project was re-branded as FC-1 (Fighter China-1). US sanctions related to Pakistan's nuclear program and Chinese-Pakistani use of ballistic missile components led Pakistan to seek helps from its Chinese ally. A joint development and production agreement was signed in June 1999, with China Aviation Import and Export Corporation (CATIC) and Pakistan each contributing 50% of the estimated $150 million development costs.

The Pakistan Government had hoped to sign a deal to acquire 150 JF-17/FC-1 fighters in 2007, with 8 aircraft in service by year's end. China had reportedly even bought 100 Klimov RD-93 engines from Russia for installing on JF-17s, with an option to contract another 400 engines.

There's only one problem: Russia has just refused permission for the transfer of its RD-93 engines, derived from the RD-33 that equips the MiG-29. The decision comes only a few days after a visit to India by Russia's Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov, during which a number of joint defense projects were discussed. These include the MRTA transport aircraft, and reportedly a "5th generation fighter" project as well.

Coincidence? Not a chance. Replacement with another engine? Unless it's a very close copy, that requires re-work of the entire fighter design and takes years. Just ask the J-10 project team.

Russia's biggest arms buyer is India; this was bound to happen.

The military world has no shortage of irony. The defense industry has its moments too, as Pakistan just discovered. An aircraft whose development was driven by military sanctions from the US and Europe is now derailed by military sanctions. This leaves the Pakistani Air Force dependent on an alternative from... America. Meanwhile, the Chinese are left with no export launch customer for a plane they may now have to reluctantly buy themselves, instead of the favoured and more capable J-10. Somewhere in Delhi, champagne is pouring - but first, a bit of background.

The JF-17/FC-1 is a sub-$20 million fighter designed as a co-operative venture between Pakistan and China to replace F-7P (MiG-21+) and Mirage 3/5 aircraft in Pakistan's fleet. China also has options to produce them, but has made no firm decisions and seems unenthusiastic. It's a comparable peer for India's still-under-development LCA Tejas, Taiwan's ****-1 Ching Kuo fighters, and South Korea's T/A-50 Golden Eagle supersonic trainer & light fighter. Sino Defense reminds us that the JF-17/FC-1 'Xiaolong' has a long history...

The site recalls that China signed a $550 million agreement with Grumman in 1986 to modernise its J-7 fighter (MiG-21 copy) under the "Super-7" upgrade project, with US and British firms competing to provide the engine and avionics. The project was canceled after the Tienanmen Square massacre, but Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation managed to continue the programme with its own resources, and the project was re-branded as FC-1 (Fighter China-1). US sanctions related to Pakistan's nuclear program and Chinese-Pakistani use of ballistic missile components led Pakistan to seek helps from its Chinese ally. A joint development and production agreement was signed in June 1999, with China Aviation Import and Export Corporation (CATIC) and Pakistan each contributing 50% of the estimated $150 million development costs.

The Pakistan Government had hoped to sign a deal to acquire 150 JF-17/FC-1 fighters in 2007, with 8 aircraft in service by year's end. China had reportedly even bought 100 Klimov RD-93 engines from Russia for installing on JF-17s, with an option to contract another 400 engines.

There's only one problem: Russia has just refused permission for the transfer of its RD-93 engines, derived from the RD-33 that equips the MiG-29. The decision comes only a few days after a visit to India by Russia's Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov, during which a number of joint defense projects were discussed. These include the MRTA transport aircraft, and reportedly a "5th generation fighter" project as well.

Coincidence? Not a chance. Replacement with another engine? Unless it's a very close copy, that requires re-work of the entire fighter design and takes years. Just ask the J-10 project team.

Huh? What's all this blabbering about?! Who said Russia wouldn't sell RD-93 or isn't capable of mass producing it for Pakistan? Also, there's a backup plan, Pak can opt for a Chinese engine in the very near future. :)

:pakistan::china:

Scare-monger..... :woot:

:rofl: :rofl:
Indian wet dreams about RD-93, they jsut still can't believe that we have got it & Russikies sold it..

Oee listen do u know JF-17 is flying with RD-93, First Squadron will be operational in a few months...

Mods delete this thread...

mohp, you are a clown that belongs in the circus.

Why don't you quote the whole article?

Stuck in Sichuan: Pakistani JF-17 Program Grounded? No.

"...Coincidence? Didn’t look like it. Replacement with another engine? Unless it’s a very close copy, that requires re-work of the entire fighter design and takes years. Just ask the Chinese J-10 project team.

As it turned out, however, that wasn’t necessary. Russia authorized re-export of the RD-93 engines, in an announcement that caught even India’s diplomats by surprise. The engine comes with some disadvantages, including a tendency to leave smoke trails, but re-export approval removed a huge potential roadblock and let the program proceed more or less on schedule."

I was eating some Halwa and your clown like tactics almost made me spit the halwa out of my mouth!

Alhomdillah, your article is simply too good to be true (for you). The Russian president personally authorized the transfer and we have initiated mass production!

Last edited:
The article "Stuck in Sichuan: Pakistani JF-17 Fighter Program Grounded" appeared in January 2007. Since than Russia (Putin personally as far as I remember) approved Chinese sell of RD-93 to Pakistan. If you can't find factual articles at least find the ones which are latest.

my God, U people just broke his dreams..... hehehheeee

mohp
Be happy man we Grounded it, Crawl back to Bharat Rakshak...

go light some Fire crackers...

BTW for a moment i was like this :blink:

Last edited:
It would be a big surprise if PAK wouldn't get the engine of Russia. We Germans always laugh about Inida being scared of his neighbours, seriously, India, u r the power of tears. I am sure our army could beat Indian foot soldiers. Germany is stronger than the most people think.

It would be a big surprise if PAK wouldn't get the engine of Russia. We Germans always laugh about Inida being scared of his neighbours, seriously, India, u r the power of tears. I am sure our army could beat Indian foot soldiers. Germany is stronger than the most people think.

Its an OLD news, Indians are absolutely worked up with RD-93, I remember the way they cried when RD-93 was sold, Even i read an article in which an Indian was saying that JF-17 will not become reality because they don't have any Engine :lol:

Sorry Indians ur Russian Friends sold it to us & they are selling to China as well, Tsk Tsk...
I m thinking where was the Diplomatic Leverage of Indians :P

Indian dude stop posting old article and without link. These type of topic usually locked in other forums.

Back in January 2007, DID wrote:
complete headline , which my Indian dude didn't bother to post is..

Stuck in Sichuan: Pakistani JF-17 Program Grounded? No.

Willingness to be Jewed? ... :eek:

Sshhhh
Professor Don't Spoil their dreams, they still think we Don't have RD-93 :bounce:

JF-17 is flying without Engine

BTW i m thinking will be using AL-31 or some Chinese Engine in J-10B(FC-20)?? Will anyone tell me about this...

But the Pakistani Lobby did block the GE404 Engines for the Indian Tejas and the stealth frigate engines for the Indian Navy. Yes. JF17 will fly and will fly with Pakistan colors.:victory::pakistan::cheers:

yes I think burp *** **** (aka bharat rakshak) is the place for such info to lurk....

JF-17 is done with developing and now PAF thinking is looking at it's successor aircraft inlike DODO & company who are still stuck on LCA / Arjun etc.

PAF projects have been very practical concentrating on the possible and building on them to expand capabilities instead of seeking to build the Mars lander on the first attempt..

:pakistan: :china::partay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom