What's new

Sri Lankan bank, Bank of Ceylon in Chennai attacked

Skyline

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
A group of men attacked the Bank of Ceylon branch in Egmore on Thursday afternoon, causing injuries to some employees and police personnel on duty.

Police suspect the attack was in protest against the visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa to India on Friday.

Around 1.30 p.m., 12 masked men arrived in autorickshaws and motorcycles at Jarret Gardens 2nd Avenue, Casa Major Road, where the bank in located in a two-storey building, police said.

They entered the premises by pushing the two policemen on duty and damaged the guardroom and the bank’s signboard on the ground floor. “They barged into the first floor office and attacked clerk Maria Rajesh and trainee Janakan, a city college student, with clubs and shards of glass. The group shouted slogans against Mr. Rajapaksa and damaged the cubicles. They threw whatever object they could lay their hands on at glass partitions and damaged a wall clock,” said an investigating officer.

The attack lasted only a couple of minutes. Eight CCTV cameras installed at different spots in the branch recorded the incidents from 1.30 p.m. to 1.32 p.m. The men did not go to the top floor, where cash was kept.

Maria Rajesh and Janakan were taken to the Government Kilpauk hospital. Their condition was stable. Janakan suffered cut injuries on his back.

According to a senior police official, the attackers have been indentified as members of an outfit. A hunt is on to apprehend them. Additional police security has been provided for the bank and also to the office of the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commissioner in Nungambakkam, sources said.

In the morning, police arrested a 15-member group that tried to lock the TTD information centre on Venkatanarayana Road in T. Nagar in protest against the visit of Mr. Rajapaksa to Tirupati. They were later released on bail.

ceylon_1356327g.jpg

The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : Bank of Ceylon in Chennai attacked

Skyline@ do u know why Indian Tamil nude Hates Sri Lankan

If your English is so bad that you cannot form a single statement correctly use Urdu .

@Topic

They are so stupid They attacked Their own people .

And i don't Think its a trend , it's an one off incident and i don't think any Sri Lankan Bank has been attacked anywhere else in India on this issue .

Defeating Tamil terror organization in SL by our Army!

Good for you , Job well done , But do remember it happened because Indian government stopped Supporting LTTE during the late eighties and even sent a Peace Keeping forces numbering 100000 for a couple of years . We lost a PM in suicide attack for your cause .

Good for you , Job well done , But do remember it happened because Indian government stopped Supporting LTTE during the late eighties and even sent a Peace Keeping forces numbering 100000 for a couple of years . We lost a PM in suicide attack for your cause .
India trained Tamil tiger terrorist group in their soil, Karma effected Indian PM got killed in their own soil by them. A sand story though what to do.

India trained Tamil tiger terrorist in their soil, Karma effected Indian PM got killed in their own soil. A sand story though.

He got killed as he withdrew support and even sent IPKF to harm them . I am in no ways saying India is all Saint but it has done it's part in correcting the mistaken policies .

He got killed as he withdrew support and even sent IPKF to harm them . I am in no ways saying India is all Saint but it has done it's part in correcting the mistaken policies .

Indian decision was so late, correcting the mistakes are good. We don't have issues between India and Sri Lanka except that, all the trouble makers are TN politicians and their terror supporting activities.

Indian decision was so late, correcting the mistakes are good. We don't have issues between India and Sri Lanka except that, all the trouble makers are TN politicians and their terror supporting activities.

I don't think they are in position to do that as center does not support them on this issue and have not supported them in a couple of decades even more , but you will see war drumming of this issue near every election to get votes by Tamil politicians .

I don't think they are in position to do that as center does not support them on this issue and have not supported them in a couple of decades even more , but you will see war drumming of this issue near every election to get votes by Tamil politicians .

It maaybe a vote catching exercise by politicians. but for the common folks its an emotional issue.

Please dont trivialize it.

It maaybe a vote catching exercise by politicians. but for the common folks its an emotional issue.

Please dont trivialize it.

It might be but terrorism is not the way, never have been either its Maoists , LTTE , Talibans , Jihadis , fundamentalists or anyone .

I do support the cause for human rights but not decimating a sovereign democratic country on ethnic lines .

What a bunch of vandals! Screw'em!

Had to come in maks and beat their own folks , who are hospitalized . So much for Tamil cause that they are beating tamils in their own lands .

And a 15 member group has been arrested :tup: . Nice work by Tamil Nadu police .

It might be but terrorism is not the way, never have been either its Maoists , LTTE , Talibans , Jihadis , fundamentalists or anyone .

I do support the cause for human rights but not decimating a sovereign democratic country on ethnic lines .

Please dont call Lanka a democractic country. They are fast moving towards a dictatorship under rajapaksa.

Defeating Tamil terror organization in SL by our Army!

Or may be treating Tamil citizens of Sri lanka as second citizens right from the get go. Why do you think they picked up arms against Sinhala Srilanka? Were they not treated as non-citizens as outsiders when they were born on the very same land? Did they not experienced the bias of your polity? Be honest and accept the stupid things Srilankan Sinhalas have done to Sri lankan Tamils. It was your fallacy that your citizen took up arms against you.

Back
Top Bottom