What's new

Spot-fixing/Match-fixing scandal

Pakistan captain Salman Butt denies any wrongdoing over 'spot-fixing'

The Pakistan captain, Salman Butt, has said he has seen no evidence that he is implicated in any of the "spot-fixing" allegations against members of his team.

England's victory in the fourth npower Test at Lord's was entirely overshadowed today by newspaper revelations – and the subsequent arrest of a 35-year-old man, from outside the Pakistan squad – alleging attempts to defraud bookmakers.

The Pakistan team manager, Yawar Saeed, has confirmed Butt and the pace bowlers Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif had their mobile phones taken away by Scotland Yard officers investigating the case at the tourists' hotel last night.

Butt, however, said: "These are just allegations. Anybody can stand up and say things about you – it doesn't make them true.

"They include quite a few people. They are still ongoing, and we will see what happens. There is nothing I have seen, or been shown, that involves me."

Asked whether there is cause already for him to resign from the captaincy – a position 25-year-old Butt took over only last month after the retirement of Shahid Afridi – he said: "Pakistan have won a Test match from Australia after 15 years [without winning one] and from England after nine years – so does that mean I should resign from this current situation?"

Butt declined the opportunity to publicly deny allegations made against him in a newspaper investigation which also named 18-year-old bowlers Amir and Asif.

Instead, during a joint press conference with Saeed, it was the team manager who responded to the majority of questions posed specifically about the "spot-fixing" reports.

"Allegations are only one thing. They are all serious, whether they are small or big," Saeed said. "No allegations are true until they are proved either way, so at this point of time they are just allegations."

Saeed, who committed Pakistan to honouring a schedule of two Twenty20s and a five-match one-day series against England next month, admitted the team have been shaken by the controversy.

They suffered the heaviest defeat in their history – by an innings and 225 runs – after being hustled out for only 147 in their second innings this morning. Saeed acknowledged the team, who did not have time to practise before batting because of their late arrival at the ground, were hardly in the best frame of mind to give their best in a Test match.

"Obviously we are not delighted about it; we are sad. It was very sober feelings in the dressing room," he said. "We didn't have a cup of coffee either this morning. We didn't want one, because I was talking to the team. A lot had happened overnight, and it was my duty to talk to them, and get their focus back on to the match.

"As far as the Scotland Yard investigations are concerned, I wouldn't like to say anything more yet, because it is not right for us to do that. Scotland Yard officers came, interviewed, came to my room, went to his [Butt's] room and two more. They were there for about two or three hours. After that, I asked them if there was anything we could do. They said 'no'."

The next task for Saeed is an urgent meeting with the Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ijaz Butt. A post-series debrief is mandatory, but Saeed confirmed he will be speaking to Butt at the team hotel today.

"As a manager, whether they [PCB] ask for it or not, I will give my report. I have not spoken to them today, because we came to the ground. Now the series is over, I will certainly talk to them.

"The chairman of the PCB is in town, and I will be seeing him and giving him my report. I will be meeting him this afternoon."

There is no suggestion from Pakistan at this stage that the limited overs leg of their tour is in jeopardy. They are due to travel to Taunton for a warm-up match against Somerset on Thursday, and Saeed said: "As far as I am concerned, the one-day series is on.

"We are moving to the west country tomorrow and we will play all the one-day matches and the T20s."

It was left to Butt, meanwhile, to reflect on the ignominious end to a Test campaign in which Pakistan were occasionally competitive but always vulnerable and went out on a dispiriting low for themselves and their sport.

"We didn't play good cricket. England played a lot of good cricket in this game," he said, before insisting this morning's loss of six wickets for 106 runs – despite Umar Akmal's 79 not out – was not merely the result of the stress caused by the News of the World story.

"It is not something you can connect with the morning's display, because yesterday evening the team collapsed to 74 all out."

Pakistan captain Salman Butt denies any wrongdoing over 'spot-fixing' | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Well i will bring India in because i see the most disgraceful headlines on TOI.....ONLY. Where did women come from???

Anyhow as i said apna sikka khota nikla, Dushman ko kya bolen.

Well i will bring India in because i see the most disgraceful headlines on TOI.....ONLY. Where did women come from???

Anyhow as i said apna sikka khota nikla, Dushman ko kya bolen.

Mate, it is a PTI report - not a ToI report. Irrespective, why bother reading ToI if you expect to paeans about Pakistan. When I read Nation.pk or Dawn - I don't expect to read India praising articles. And although it is not the politically correct thing to say - I will go out and say it - ToI reflects what most Indians think - infact what most Indians on this forum think which is - "What else do you expect from Pakistanis?"

I don't doubt that many Indian guys posting here are fans of Aamir - at the same time, there is the obvious - "As if this is a surprise" feeling. And this is true not just of India but of the rest of the cricketing nations as well. An Aussie or South African umpire has dubbed Pakistani cricketers as "cheats" saying "Thank god the cheats are out of the World Cup" in 2007.

All major sporting teams reflect upon their country - be in the Iran vs. USA, North Korea vs. South Korea or erstwhile West Germany vs. East Germany. The world over - people know the Pakistani nation through their cricket team. And since the late 90s - I regret to inform you but Pakistani cricketers have done little to improve the image of their country. India is seen as a hegemonic bully because it flexes it muscles - Pakistan is seen as a nuisance. Instead of the ICC, if this was FIFA - you do realize Pakistan would have been suspended from international cricket.

Last edited:
The match fixing game started with wasim akram
Remember the infamous world cup quarter final
The whole setup is involve up to Mr 10%
Thank God now Scotland yard are investigating and the players in England
They cannot be influenced by Mr 10%

This is nadir of not only of Pakistan Cricket but also of world cricket. ICC has to be strict in it's intent in protecting the game

But when the question is asked, Salman butt was hesitant to answer, and he preferred to just stay quite and give no comments, allowing Yawar Saeed to answer the question..

Seems guilty to me.

I think he was largely silent due to the language problem. Coupled with Saeed's hearing problem, it made for quite a confusing press conference.

Man this is so sad. A nation which once produced world class cricketers is now represented by a bunch of ball masticating bunch of ********. It was a pleasure to see Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis etc. Now these people have brought such disrespect to the gentleman's game. :disagree:

Players will get life bans if found guilty: Minister

KARACHI: Sports Minister Ijaz Hussain Jakhrani has promised life bans for any Pakistan cricketers found guilty of match-fixing after a man was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud bookmakers.

On Saturday, London police said they arrested a 35-year-old for offering bribes to some Pakistan players for spot fixing in the fourth test against England at Lord's following allegations in the tabloid newspaper, the News of the World.

England went on to clinch victory on Sunday by an innings and 225 runs, winning the series 3-1.

"We are waiting for a detailed report from the Pakistan Cricket Board and if any players are found guilty of being involved in fixing they will be banned for life," Jakhrani said on Sunday.

President Asif Ali Zardari has called for a detailed report from the cricket board over the allegations.

Spot fixing involves betting on incidents during a match, such as no-balls and wides, which have been pre-arranged.

President's spokesperson, Farhatullah Babar, said the president wanted to be kept informed of developments and the status of any inquiry that may be ordered or held in London.

"The chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (Ijaz Butt) has been directed to immediately submit a preliminary report about the incident," said Babar.

Players will get life bans if found guilty: Minister

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

PM terms match fixing incident shameful

MULTAN: Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani Sunday in reaction to the news report of a British daily in connection with the alleged spot-fixing by Pakistan cricketers and initiation of probe into the allegations by the Scotland Yard termed the incident a shameful one.

“The incident has caused our heads to tilt down in shame,” the Prime Minister said when asked to comment on the news report here.

The PM said he was concerned over the issue and would ask the sports board to launch an inquiry into it.

charsi team ka reselt aysa hi hota hai hahahhah

:rofl:

Bhai..ap is forum k comedian ka kaam kar rahe ho kya?

@Topic

Guys..its not match fixing.

Spot fixing is differrent than match fixing as spot fixing doesnt affect the overall result of match.

Last one to do it was Marlon Samuels.

i wish aamer dont get a life ban. He is so much talented and have started his career only recently. It will be a huge loss for pakistani cricket fans and fans of him like me.

Aamer is a newcomer in the game and showed his talent...but if he is found guilty; if ANY of them are found guilty --I would support their dismissal. Any confirmation of Aamer being guilty would leave me super disappointed, considering I was very vocal in the past about how Pakistan requires new and talented young faces

It's time that this sport is cleaned up once and for all; even if it has to be Pakistanis to be made example of.

lets wait and see what happens.....

Back
Top Bottom