What's new

South China Sea Forum

At an international press briefing in Washington DC on May 8, deputy spokesperson of the US Department of State Marie Harf called on China to stop its provocative, escalating act in the East Sea – a dangerous step that can threaten peace and stability in the region.

She voiced the US’s concern about escalation in the region, saying any sovereign claims should be settled peacefully and any effort to change the status quo running counter to international law threatens regional peace and stability.

Harf said the US would continue to ask China to settle sovereign disputes peacefully in accordance with international law, and put an end to similar provocative acts.

Congressman Eni Faleomavaega of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific, on May 8 also strongly criticized China for violating Vietnam’s sovereignty and called upon the US to issue a clear and decisive statement of response.

In a press release, Eni Faleomavaega noted China’s drilling rig HD-981 is anchored within Vietnam’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and continental shelf, about 120 nautical miles from Ly Son island of Vietnam.

He thanked US Senator John McCain for his leadership in unequivocally stating that China’s territorial claims to these waters have no basis in international law.

Eni Faleomavaega asserted that “China’s provocative actions are an escalation of its intent to threaten peace and maritime security in the East Sea“.

He recalled that since 2009, China has escalated its claims of the ‘nine-dash line’, cut ship cables, established Sansha City, enforced its Fishery Law, enhanced oil explorations in disputed areas, attacked Vietnamese fishing vessels, launched patrol boats, and conducted military exercises in the East Sea to flex its power and deter other claimants.

The congressman called on Chinese leaders to take immediate steps to deescalate tensions, and the US to lead the way.

U.S. Helps Vietnam Defend Fishermen Who 'Get into Trouble' With China
Days after sparks flew with China, U.S. Coast Guard official reveals 'uncanny' meeting.

U.S. Coast Guard still protects Vietnamese fishermen from Chinese ships such as this one leaving the Xingang Port of Haikou on March 26.

By Paul D. Shinkman April 9, 2013 SHARE
NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. --- The U.S. Coast Guard actively helps Vietnam protect its fishing vessels at a time when the Chinese are testing the boundaries of their Pacific neighborhood, a top official says.

Many of the officers involved in this effort remember firsthand the late 1960s and early 1970s when the U.S. and Vietnam were at war, says Coast Guard Rear Adm. William Lee. Now the two governments are cooperating to develop a fighting force that can help Vietnamese fisherman and others when they "get into trouble."

While speaking at the annual Sea-Air-Space expo here, Lee described a meeting he conducted with Vietnamese counterparts the week after one of its vessels reportedly caught fire after Chinese sailors fired a flare at it.

"They have thousands of fishermen who set to sea every day without the benefit of a U.S. Coast Guard-like entity who can go out when those guys get into trouble," said Lee, the deputy for Operations Policy and Capabilities. "There is a growing demand for Coast Guard-like authorities and capabilities and training efforts. The problem is there is far more demand than there is supply to meet the demand at the present moment."

Lee says he sat down to lunch in March with a senior Vietnamese Naval officer and an Army colonel roughly his same age who slept in a bunker outside Hanoi before entering service in 1972.

"We both found it kind of uncanny that here we are all these years later. He, still on active duty after all those years, talking to the U.S. government about building capacity in their country," he said. "That story is remarkable."

News broke on March that Chinese officials had engaged a Vietnamese fishing boat in disputed waters in the South China Sea. The Chinese boat allegedly fired a warning flare, which the Vietnamese claims set its fishing boat on fire.

Lee's interaction with the Vietnamese officers was "one small vignette of many of the things happening over there in Southeast Asia," he said. The U.S. Coast Guard has also met with Chinese counterparts in Honolulu for talks in recent weeks, he added.

The Chinese have themselves embarked on efforts to improve their coast guard. Until March, it had five separate entities that performed the same efforts of the U.S. Coast Guard. Now they have combined four of those together, Lee said.

"They took a lesson looking across the spectrum there and saw how we do business," he said.

Last edited:
Like every international fiasco china instigates, you will come out the antagonist as usual. I honestly don't understand why you like coming out on the losing side? china needs to hire some good foreign affairs advisers, cause the past 60 years have been terrible for you.
Losing end? How did you come to that conclusion? Because you say so? LOL Look, my troll friend, you must understand that nobody understand these petty states than we do. The history of jogging for position in dispute area had been going on since the establishment of UNCLOS. The Vietnam, Phillipines all trying to do that. Even not too long ago, the Phillpines and Vietnam were fighting over some reef in Spratly. LOL Look at the map in South China Sea islands to see who control what. We know them too well. I must say we understand this dirty game too much. After all we live and survive in this South China Sea for ages.

it's to bad these issues can't be sorted out over a nice meal.

Tell us what we did wrong. Why can't we drill near our island, just 18 miles away?

It looks like this region is also claimed from Vietnam. China depends on good relations with its neighbors.

Tell me, do you really want live in constant confrontation, war and hate with your entire nighborhood? I believed harmony is a great aspect in the chinese culture. Why not sit down and work on cooperation about this issues.

The problem i see is that the weak chinese government has zero rule over the military. This can lead to such conflicts.

Losing end? How did you come to that conclusion? Because you say so? LOL Look, my troll friend, you must understand that nobody understand these petty states than we do. The history of jogging for position in dispute area had been going on since the establishment of UNCLOS. The Vietnam, Phillipines all trying to do that. Even not too long ago, the Phillpines and Vietnam were fighting over some reef in Spratly. LOL Look at the map in South China Sea islands to see who control what. We know them too well. I must say we understand this dirty game too much. After all we live and survive in this South China Sea for ages.

Vietnam controled Islands from long time ago. we didn't have trouble with man Qing China in the past. Kanton Governor has been stated in the past that Island not belong to China.

KMT is claimed it 1948 with nine dash. Its baseless.

Islands belong to Vietnam. china occupied Island of Vietnam 1974 with force. China don't have right to claim EZZ for Paracel. Control of China is illegal
We already control the northern half of Paracel prior to re-taking Southern part of Paracel completely in 1974. The battle to decide the fate of Paracel is all legal. In fact, we fought a bloody battle to win this against the South Vietnam regime. You are currently a Northern regime ruling Vietnam which should have no business in this Paracel, at all. Your North VN prime minister even renounce Paracel to us in exchange for us to lend you Woody Island to stage a fight against the USA during Vietnam War.

1. I am not interesting in debating with people that lack basis understanding of an EEZ. Paracel archipelagos is large enough as a group and can sustain life on its own. That is the very definition of entitlement to an EEZ.
2. There is no dispute. We control 100%.

control 100% means no dispute ? nonsense ...
Paracels are disputed because China robbed it from Vietnam in 1974.

Do you apply the same argument when you snatch the Scarborough shoal from Phillipines ?

It looks like this region is also claimed from Vietnam. China depends on good relations with its neighbors.

Tell me, do you really want live in constant confrontation, war and hate with your entire nighborhood? I believed harmony is a great aspect in the chinese culture. Why not sit down and work on cooperation about this issues.

The problem i see is that the weak chinese government has zero rule over the military. This can lead to such conflicts.
You need to keep your bullshit high-moral ground to yourself. LOL This tactic and double standard is too obvious for everyone with a brain to see. If Japan can nationalizing a dispute island in Diaoyu/Senkaku without the West outcry, why are you crying if we drill near our control island? LOL You see, my friend, Japan is your puppet ally so you don't cry. LOL Double standard impose on us is clear. There is no legal or moral ground when you play double standard on us. LOL

We have said many times before that the door to bilateral negotiation to settle dispute is always open. It is the Vietnamese who decided to keep the door shut. It's not us. Don't blame us for keeping our principle. Even UNCLOS principle said dispute shall be solved on bilateral basis if existing between two states.

When US invades and destory countrys by lying...
its all O K.

But when China or Russia does something with no bloodshed.
Their the bully.

Freakin stupid logic people go by these days.....
Only you freaking stupid logic, we never say US do everything is OK.
You're surely noob

Hard to have a nice meal with China if they try to steal food off the plates of others.It is the nature of the beast. It can't be changed. I just advice Vietnamese and Japanese to sit down with a revolver in their pocket.China has no friends. Not overseas, not in the neighborhood. They should know: nobody will accept aggression. I would love to be the one sitting at the table when this happens so I can pull out my revolver and make an end to this.

We already control the northern half of Paracel prior to re-taking Southern part of Paracel completely in 1974. The battle to decide the fate of Paracel is all legal. In fact, we fought a bloody battle to win this against the South Vietnam regime. You are currently a Northern regime ruling Vietnam which should have no business in this Paracel, at all. Your North VN prime minister even renounce Paracel to us in exchange for us to lend you Woody Island to stage a fight against the USA during Vietnam War.

taken with force is illegal.

China is liar. after 1954, China and North VN signed it. Islands belong to South Vietnam, it located in south of 17th parallel. north regime didn't have right about Island of South vietnam.

No evidence for that renounce or exchange. China stop lie.

Vietnam controled Islands from long time ago. we didn't have trouble with man Qing China in the past. Kanton Governor has been stated in the past that Island not belong to China.

KMT is claimed it 1948 with nine dash. Its baseless.
I'm not going to sit here and argue with you over bullshit rightful administrative right because territories prior to establishment of the UN is always shady, depending on who have the bigger gun and can impose their strength on others. Beside territory exchange between different states exist since millennium. What matter most, in international legal term, is who is the current administrative owner? That question was resolved 40 years ago.

You need to keep your bullshit high-moral ground to yourself. LOL This tactic and double standard is too obvious for everyone with a brain to see. If Japan can nationalizing a dispute island in Diaoyu/Senkaku without the West outcry, why are you crying if we drill near our control island? LOL You see, my friend, Japan is your puppet ally so you don't cry. LOL Double standard impose on us is clear. There is no legal or moral ground when you play double standard on us. LOL

We have said many times before that the door to bilateral negotiation to settle dispute is always open. It is the Vietnamese who decided to keep the door shut. It's not us. Don't blame us for keeping our principle. Even UNCLOS principle said dispute shall be solved on bilateral basis if existing between two states.

Well explain me how this "bilateral negotiation" would look like and how a compromise could look like between china- japan-vietnam and so on.

And no, Japan is not our "puppet ally". I see Japan as a friend. And i would be happy if China see us as friends too.

yes, that is sad.

China has intentionally escalated the tension. the Chinese want to turn Asia into battlefields like Middle East or Central Africa.

On a press conference, the spokeswomen of the US Department of State Marie Harf called on China to stop its provocative, escalating act in the East Sea – threatening peace and stability in the region.

I think Vietnam should bring China before the UNSC.

Marie%20Harf_copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom