What's new

Some hard facts about Pakistan's defense budget....

i ve heard some time back in this forum that the defence budget of Pakistan does not include the payment of soldiers salaries....that if true would actually mean that the defence budget is actually more than what it is perceived to be....however i don know if its true....can some one clarify if soldiers pay comes under the defence budget or is it seperate....?

The real issue is of priorotising the expenditures, currently what pakistan need is investement where there will be more returns, As per my understanding Pakistan has a good military industry that can be exploited and utilized to chunk more money for the army and govt.

i ve heard some time back in this forum that the defence budget of Pakistan does not include the payment of soldiers salaries....that if true would actually mean that the defence budget is actually more than what it is perceived to be....however i don know if its true....can some one clarify if soldiers pay comes under the defence budget or is it seperate....?

It includes the salaries.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

I read in Pakistani newspaper it is 26% actually including pensions.

Incorrect it's 18% of the national budget out of which about 10%(of the national budget) is paid, the rest is reserved by the government to cover the deficit.

as of now,its quite important for pakistan to have a strong military.

also focus on economy.

Defense budget includes everything incl. the pay.

Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh on June 3 announced a 2,767 billion rupee budget for the fiscal year ending June 31, 2012.

Debt servicing alone will consume 38% of the next fiscal year's budget, with 1,034 billion rupees earmarked for debt servicing and repayment of foreign loans, compared with an original 699 billion rupees, later revised to 726 billion rupees, in the 2010-11 budget.

A separate allocation for security-related expenses and the amount given over to pensions of military personnel have not been included in the 495 billion rupees (US$5.76 billion) in budgeted defense expenditures. If added, these bring total military and security costs to 900 billion rupees.

That leaves around Rs.834 Billion for everything else.

Pak Army also happens to be one of the most fruitful investments that the budget makes. Pakistan's largest taxpayer is the Fauji Foundation which is a military concern and returns about US$ 700 Million each year in taxes alone. That does not include the taxes paid by it's employees.

Considering the handouts they've gotten over 60 years, it's the least they could do :p

Fact is, Pakistan Army qaum per koi ehsan nahi kar rahi by setting up these companies. I'm not going to go into reasons why (you probably have a good idea), but I will say that I do support the army in taking such initiatives.

Considering the handouts they've gotten over 60 years, it's the least they could do :p

Fact is, Pakistan Army qaum per koi ehsan nahi kar rahi by setting up these companies. I'm not going to go into reasons why (you probably have a good idea), but I will say that I do support the army in taking such initiatives.

They provide jobs, generate capital, that's all that matters.

Incorrect it's 18% of the national budget out of which about 10%(of the national budget) is paid, the rest is reserved by the government to cover the deficit.

Its 26% according to Pakistani newspaper
Extra Rs150b sanctioned above defence budget – The Express Tribune

ISLAMABAD:
On top of the Rs495 billion officially-sanctioned defence budget, the government has allocated an additional Rs150 billion for the armed forces, almost half of which was billed under the Armed Forces Development Programme.
A senior official of the finance ministry, citing the ‘Budget-in-Brief’ document, said the total defence and security allocation comes to around Rs645 billion, which is almost 23.8 per cent of the total budget. In addition, Rs73.2 billion would be paid from civilian accounts on army pensions – a practice initiated by Musharraf in 2000. By adding the three allocations – stated budget, contingent liabilities and army pensions – the total allocations total Rs718 billion, almost 26 per cent of the total budget.

Its 26% according to Pakistani newspaper
Extra Rs150b sanctioned above defence budget – The Express Tribune

ISLAMABAD:
On top of the Rs495 billion officially-sanctioned defence budget, the government has allocated an additional Rs150 billion for the armed forces, almost half of which was billed under the Armed Forces Development Programme.
A senior official of the finance ministry, citing the ‘Budget-in-Brief’ document, said the total defence and security allocation comes to around Rs645 billion, which is almost 23.8 per cent of the total budget. In addition, Rs73.2 billion would be paid from civilian accounts on army pensions – a practice initiated by Musharraf in 2000. By adding the three allocations – stated budget, contingent liabilities and army pensions – the total allocations total Rs718 billion, almost 26 per cent of the total budget.

Defence budget only 18%: Kayani | Pakistan Today | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, World news, business, sport and multimedia

If external debt payment is 38% then 18% on military is very big burden on economy..only 44% is left for other things

That is the External Debt Payment in comparison with the budget, it does not mean that the portion of the budget corresponding to it will be paid to clear the debt. Only small portions of the budget are reserved for debt payment each year, that is why the debt continues for many years at a stretch.

whats up with indians, why do they care so much about our defense budget, we actually need to spend more on defense.

Back
Top Bottom