What's new

Software Engineers Thread.

I've just completed one of the biggest projects of my career. Not in terms of budget, but in terms of pure coding and functionality. Wrote some 15,000+ lines of code for this web application over past 32 days with the help of around 75 cups of coffee.. :coffee:

Anyone using Laravel here? I started learning and using this amazing framework few months ago, and I'm in total love with this framework. Its by far the best PHP framework out there today in my opinion. :smitten:

If anyone is working in PHP, has sufficient experience and is good on OOP then you gotta look into Laravel. Its difficult to get going with it in start, but once you're in you'll just love it.
Laravel is good, I've heard. One of my friends work on php. He is quite good.

What kind of things you work on ?
One thing I've noticed, probably not many Java guys in Pakistan ? may be wrong there though. Any particular reason ?

Laravel is good, I've heard. One of my friends work on php. He is quite good.

What kind of things you work on ?
One thing I've noticed, probably not many Java guys in Pakistan ? may be wrong there though. Any particular reason ?

I've edited my last post, Laravel is awesome.

I am primarily a web developer, working in PHP, CodeIgniter, CakePHP, Wordpress, Joomla, jQuery, AJAX, Zurb Foundation etc.. Recently, moved towards Laravel and working in it for past 4 - 5 months.

About Java, there are a lot of people working in Java here. But the thing is, the companies working in Java are way too less compared to other plateforms. So getting a good job in Java here is pain especially when you're new in the market. The competition is too tough with very limited jobs, you got to be best of the best.

When I passed out from university back in 2008, I was a Java programmer myself. Worked extensively in J2SE, J2ME etc in my university projects, my final project was also in Java. But when I stepped into the professional world, I realized its too tough to get in. So instead I preferred Flash, ActionScript, Flex etc to get in as they had a lot of demand with healthy salaries at that time. After 4 - 5 years, Flash / Flex started to become obsolete so I had to move into PHP as my preference was always web development over software development.

There are lot of modules to choose from, right ? You may want to specialize in HR or BI or Finance or reporting only, I believe they use Hana for that. So, you will have to tell, in which direction you want to go.

Or is it like you want advice on which module should you go for ?

To be honest we are running a ghetto ERP software of our own with client side VB program and sql server. My areas are Operations, Supervision and training. BI and HR would be interesting.

To be honest we are running a ghetto ERP software of our own with client side VB program and sql server. My areas are Operations, Supervision and training. BI and HR would be interesting.
Hmm.. SAP might be a costly solution to migrate to, for any company. But that depends upon necessity and budgets.
If you are just switching over to SAP, then I'll suggest HR module to go for first.. It is centrally located in any ERP solution and moving to and fro from HR module will be easy. Next thing to do should be Reporting as it is a cross cutting concern.
You may also look into Open Source ERP and CRM | Odoo

It will be a cheaper opensource alternative.

I've edited my last post, Laravel is awesome.

I am primarily a web developer, working in PHP, CodeIgniter, CakePHP, Wordpress, Joomla, jQuery, AJAX, Zurb Foundation etc.. Recently, moved towards Laravel and working in it for past 4 - 5 months.

About Java, there are a lot of people working in Java here. But the thing is, the companies working in Java are way too less compared to other plateforms. So getting a good job in Java here is pain especially when you're new in the market. The competition is too tough with very limited jobs, you got to be best of the best.

When I passed out from university back in 2008, I was a Java programmer myself. Worked extensively in J2SE, J2ME etc in my university projects, my final project was also in Java. But when I stepped into the professional world, I realized its too tough to get in. So instead I preferred Flash, ActionScript, Flex etc to get in as they had a lot of demand with healthy salaries at that time. After 4 - 5 years, Flash / Flex started to become obsolete so I had to move into PHP as my preference was always web development over software development.
CodeIgniter is awesome, so I have heard. So look into Javascript based frameworks like AngularJS. Hehe, I don't know much about most of these things, but I have good idea about where you can use what.

So, far as Java is concerned, very very powerful language.

Focus on functional role of ERP. If you don't have good accounting knowledge than go for MM or HCM of SAP.

Did my A levels in Accounting and Economics. Everything was on paper back then. No quickbooks.

CodeIgniter is awesome, so I have heard. So look into Javascript based frameworks like AngularJS. Hehe, I don't know much about most of these things, but I have good idea about where you can use what.

AngularJS is next top thing in my wishlist, just couldn't get spare time to get my hands on it from past couple of months. AngularJS is new power house of front end. The good thing is, it has awesome support with Laravel, so a Laravel + AngularJS is a killer combination these days.

C is the classic of classics, i still using C to code the microcontroller just like my avatar ... even Linux Kernel coded by C, of course application layer most by Java or C++.

IMG_20150918_165212.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm.. SAP might be a costly solution to migrate to, for any company. But that depends upon necessity and budgets.
If you are just switching over to SAP, then I'll suggest HR module to go for first.. It is centrally located in any ERP solution and moving to and fro from HR module will be easy. Next thing to do should be Reporting as it is a cross cutting concern.
You may also look into Open Source ERP and CRM | Odoo

It will be a cheaper opensource alternative.

I don't think any mid level company can afford to switch over branded ERP softwares. I have some free time and trying to get some cobwebs off my resume. Has to be practical as well, as in could further job opportunities domestic and abroad. What about some microsoft or cisco certifications?

I don't think any mid level company can afford to switch over branded ERP softwares. I have some free time and trying to get some cobwebs off my resume. Has to be practical as well, as in could further job opportunities domestic and abroad. What about some microsoft or cisco certifications?
CCNA/CCNP if you want to go for Networking.
I will suggest go opensource, go green, go Java. It is THE most powerful language with lots of support.

@srshkmr What kind of Graph based solutions are available in Big Data ?

I've just completed one of the biggest projects of my career. Not in terms of budget, but in terms of pure coding and functionality. Wrote some 15,000+ lines of code for this web application over past 32 days with the help of around 75 cups of coffee.. :coffee:

Anyone using Laravel here? I started learning and using this amazing framework few months ago, and I'm in total love with this framework. Its by far the best PHP framework out there today in my opinion. :smitten:

If anyone is working in PHP, has sufficient experience and is good on OOP then you gotta look into Laravel. Its difficult to get going with it in start, but once you're in you'll just love it.

Those who don't know about Laravel, its just another PHP framework which completely object oriented and RESTful framework. It has taken PHP world with a storm and in short time span of past one and half years, Laravel has become number 1 PHP framework out there in market easily surpassing other major frameworks like Yii, CodeIgniter, Cake PHP, Symfony etc..

7 Best PHP Frameworks for 2015 | Winspire Web Solution | LinkedIn
I am currently working on mvc in php i wanted to use laravel in my project but my boss didnt recommend me that!i used pdo prepared statements and Mysqli instead. I think laravel is neck and neck with entity framework in .NET

Those who don't know about Laravel, its just another PHP framework which completely object oriented and RESTful framework. It has taken PHP world with a storm and in short time span of past one and half years, Laravel has become number 1 PHP framework out there in market easily surpassing other major frameworks like Yii, CodeIgniter, Cake PHP, Symfony etc..

7 Best PHP Frameworks for 2015 | Winspire Web Solution | LinkedIn
By the way whats your project about

I am currently working on mvc in php i wanted to use laravel in my project but my boss didnt recommend me that!i used pdo prepared statements and Mysqli instead. I think laravel is neck and neck with entity framework in .NET

Don't know about .net's sentity framework but Laravel has its own Eloquent ORM for all sort of DB handling in an efficient way. You got to explore this if you want to dive deep into PHP MVC.

By the way whats your project about

It was a web app for an international firm that organize world wide sports events (races, running, swimming, cycling etc). A complete app, were all the events will be created, people from all over the world can register for different events, pay online, confirm their participation, membership, buy e-tickets that will be verified on the day of event via barcode reader, Bib numbers (the number on the back of athletes in a race) generation.

Also a complete system for post event stats, all the post event calculations about rankings, total time, time for each lap, rating based on different categories like youngest female, oldest male, fastest male etc.. A flickr like photo sharing module for all event related pictures, event calendars, event data import and export, a racer / participant can track, search or export his stats. And a lot of other things.

Don't know about .net's sentity framework but Laravel has its own Eloquent ORM for all sort of DB handling in an efficient way. You got to explore this if you want to dive deep into PHP MVC.

It was a web app for an international firm that organize world wide sports events (races, running, swimming, cycling etc). A complete app, were all the events will be created, people from all over the world can register for different events, pay online, confirm their participation, membership, buy e-tickets that will be verified on the day of event via barcode reader, Bib numbers (the number on the back of athletes in a race) generation.

Also a complete system for post event stats, all the post event calculations about rankings, total time, time for each lap, rating based on different categories like youngest female, oldest male, fastest male etc.. A flickr like photo sharing module for all event related pictures, event calendars, event data import and export, a racer / participant can track, search or export his stats. And a lot of other things.
Thats a hell alot of work. what payment APIs did you integrate in that app?

@srshkmr What kind of Graph based solutions are available in Big Data ?

My Project is creating Data through the users that use our services . so we created a Graph based solution .

if you want some opensource i heard this is good Fast, Scalable Machine Learning Platform | Dato

Stripe, Paypal, 2Checkout and Authorize.net, based on client's requirements..

I did this in Ruby on Rails . along with payments for 3 banks in just 3 hours :P

Back
Top Bottom