What's new

Software Engineers Thread.

err..Don't you think you will have to come up with an entirely new OS to interact with that ?

yeah, the design includes a new os, with a simple, elegant and fast user-interface ( no 3d-desktop silliness for example ), the user-applications being apps and with a visual way of writing those apps.

Intel has a monopoly over the market for a reason, right ? Big reason. So big a reason, that when Intel's immediate rival, AMD sells a processor, even then too Intel makes money.

i don't want to make money... the project will be open-source.

the project basis is not only technological but also political. :)

Ada's really common with military software due to its simplicity and ease of testing - that last criteria is what makes it very, very useful, especially to safety engineers. Nothing worse then having to test shi**y software and offer a safety report on its shortcomings.

Most military systems will use it... but not exclusively it. As @Blue Marlin hinted at, I'm a defense contractor that builds software solutions for unmanned systems, mostly in the maritime domain.

Now, could either you or @Blue Marlin tell me what I'd use Python or LISP for know I work with unmanned systems?

No. I use LISP as the basis for a home-grown language. I have a strong grounding in LISP, clojure isn't one dialect I've personally used and haven't encountered in my professional dealings.

We use LISP as the foundation, but not LISP or its dialects themselves. Isn't Clojure run through Java? I'd never touch Java, even with a pole... too many security issues for military use. Though newer versions are more security sensitive.
what!? you use python? you use that to program the rasberry pi!!?:D
c++ and c are go to languages outside of the millitry domain. c++ can be used for millitary applications but is quiet rare to find it on western systems but a bit common in non western tech, but you have to be very specific and constant with what your coding. its like giving directions to go to the shop by the step and if there are problems along the way, what would you do as a plan b. that was going to be my final year project but i chose to go easy and make an courier encryption application.

what!? you use python? you use that to program the rasberry pi!!?:D
c++ and c are go to languages outside of the millitry domain. c++ can be used for millitary applications but is quiet rare to find it on western systems but a bit common in non western tech, but you have to be very specific and constant with what your coding. its like giving directions to go to the shop by the step and if there are problems along the way, what would you do as a plan b. that was going to be my final year project but i chose to go easy and make an courier encryption application.
Where did he mentioned Rasberry Pi ? The choice of Python could be the reason due to its vast library available, and specially image computation and analysis purpose. Python could be compiled to machine code, and used the resources and library specifically for the requirement. Actually the choice of the programming language depends on the requirement of the party and the task to be completed. It was earlier times when the computing power of the processor was low, low ram, and needed small footprint. Now a days processors are fair enough even ARM Quadcore board have a small footprint size. Together with the Realtime Linux and Python could be used very well in UAV application, comunicating with various sensors. C++, C, ADA might run faster, but the ease with which python could be used to build the software will nullify any advantage. For speed issues Stackless python derivatives are also there including cpython.

Where did he mentioned Rasberry Pi ? The choice of Python could be the reason due to its vast library available, and specially image computation and analysis purpose. Python could be compiled to machine code, and used the resources and library specifically for the requirement. Actually the choice of the programming language depends on the requirement of the party and the task to be completed. It was earlier times when the computing power of the processor was low, low ram, and needed small footprint. Now a days processors are fair enough even ARM Quadcore board have a small footprint size. Together with the Realtime Linux and Python could be used very well in UAV application, comunicating with various sensors. C++, C, ADA might run faster, but the ease with which python could be used to build the software will nullify any advantage. For speed issues Stackless python derivatives are also there including cpython.
that was the last time i used python when i was programming the rasberry pi.
when your coding for millitary applicastions you must ensure the code is secureand that its fast. c++ and c and other c based languages are precompiled where as python is interprated. am never a fan of python, you can do what python can in c++.

that was the last time i used python when i was programming the rasberry pi.
when your coding for millitary applicastions you must ensure the code is secureand that its fast. c++ and c and other c based languages are precompiled where as python is interprated. am never a fan of python, you can do what python can in c++.
But python can do more elegantly and quickly specially modelling. Who told you that Python cannot be used in military. Infact Application Server Zope written in Python was used by US Airforce. NASA use Python, infact google bots are using python.

Advantage of using Python :-

* Learn quickly than C, C++, ADA
* Advance and vast resources, libraries
* Stable and secure

But python can do more elegantly and quickly specially modelling. Who told you that Python cannot be used in military. Infact Application Server Zope written in Python was used by US Airforce. NASA use Python, infact google bots are using python.

Advantage of using Python :-

* Learn quickly than C, C++, ADA
* Advance and vast resources, libraries
* Stable and secure
in the end bud, it's just my prefrance.

google bot wont get past this

file name: Robots.txt

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

Noobish quetion!
wouldnt python be too slow for military applications compared to lets c/c++, ada etc?

Noobish quetion!
wouldnt python be too slow for military applications compared to lets c/c++, ada etc?

No, Python builds a framework, it's a scripting language not a programming one, C++, or in my case a LISP variant, provides the "meat-and-potatoes." It's good enough to lay the initial framework, a good set of walls if you'd rather, but it's not what's being used for the majority of a project.

For those wondering, and to answer the question I posed to Blue Marlin (and reiterate what's been said before regarding my employment) - here is the reason for the use of these languages:

PDFians ! Please list your occupation or field of study here :)

I use Python and a variant of LISP to write algorithms for military AIs, to be used on unmanned systems - specifically in the maritime dominion.

Last edited:
in the end bud, it's just my prefrance.

google bot wont get past this

file name: Robots.txt

User-agent: *
Disallow: /
It is just a convention in the internet world. you can write your own bot in python( or which ever lang) to retrieve those pages.

Need somebody to do it online, let me know!
checkout LearnSocial.com. I bought a 'all you can eat' pass for $225. It is valid for three months and I did Hadoop, Informatica. I also enrolled on a few others to just access the material.

Hadoop was fantastic - it was taught by one Syed who is absolutely the best I could have imagined. We did 3x2hour sessions online for 8 weeks I think.

Even if they don't have the 'all you can eat' deal, I think it is still highly worth it.

No, Python builds a framework, it's a scripting language not a programming one, C++, or in my case a LISP variant, provides the "meat-and-potatoes." It's good enough to lay the initial framework, a good set of walls if you'd rather, but it's not what's being used for the majority of a project.

For those wondering, and to answer the question I posed to Blue Marlin (and reiterate what's been said before regarding my employment) - here is the reason for the use of these languages:

PDFians ! Please list your occupation or field of study here :)

I use Python and a variant of LISP to write algorithms for military AIs, to be used on unmanned systems - specifically in the maritime dominion.
we used C/c++ and assembler in my time for embedded systems.

Hello mates ~!

Im using C and Assembly to code hardware drivers for micro-processors like 8051, AVR, STM8, Cortex-M3, Cortex-M4 MCU and other ARM-core CPU ... i got national C program certificate and passed naitonal professional examination to get the qualification certificate of Embeded System Designer from China government. Strictly speaking, im not good at ARM assembly just for start.s file for CPU setup ... then it's C program.

Usually i like to write a Firmware Library for the MCU/CPU's peripheral registers like rcc.c, gpio.c, timer.c, systick.c, wdg.c, adc.c, i2c.c, spi.c, usart.c, flash.c, lcd.c, flash.c etc, after preparation i start to write MCU/CPU's drivers by following schematic circuit diagram. Using the tool like Keil MDK and IAR to code & debug these 8-bit/32-bit micro-processors. Since 2011 i started my code journey not too long ...

Just right now im trying to code Linux drivers for CPU (SoC chip), everything is new for me to program under Linux environment ... im using Ubuntu-15.04 version Linux OS as current program environment, and some cross-tool like arm-linux-gcc to compile the project. Begin from learning Linux's Shell command + vi/vim + write Makefile + recompile Linux Kernel + write bootloader, i already spent some time to finish them and fimily with these develop processes ... but it not end yet, it seems still need 1-2 month time to learn how to program Linux driver model. Well right now im doing it ... =(. @Blue Marlin

wr16dg.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom