What's new

Slumdog Millionaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
its really not
its a brit production

Everyone I know is talking about this great new Oscar winning Indian movie.
I’m sure many Americans are grateful for the message of hope it brings during these difficult times.

And who really cares if it’s Indian or British? Danny Boyle could have hardly made this movie without Indian collaboration and creative input.

Was excellent movie, but its extension of Patrick Swayze" CITY OF JOY"..Both target the slums of India. City of Joy target slums of Calcutta. Otherwise not much difference , both revolve some way around gangsters and saviors..

Well the Oscars have to be given to the different ethnics now that the world is becoming more globalized.

African Americans had their Oscars, "Indians" now have (alright touch and go with that one, but you know what I mean), the Chinese are next up (but there's a question mark), plus the South Americans should get their piece of the pie if they can improve their economies.

‘Slumdog’ Oscar success divides India

India reacted with mixed feelings as Slumdog Millionaire, an enthralling rags-to-riches tale set in the slums of Mumbai, scooped up eight Academy Awards in Los Angeles, including Best *Picture.

India’s film industry was bitterly at odds in the run-up to last night’s awards over whether to acknowledge Slumdog Millionaire as an Indian film as excitement grew over its 10 Oscar nominations. The $15m (€12m, £10m) budget film was directed by Danny Boyle, a British film-maker, and featured a cast of largely unknown actors.

Where relatives of the child actors celebrated the Oscar win, and jubilation erupted in their home neighbourhoods, its critics have preferred to view the film as foreign, although its content, actors and musical score are Indian.

As the acclaim has grown, controversy about how the film portrays India has deepened. The protagonist, Jamal Malik, grows up in a slum and survives insuperable odds to track down his childhood sweetheart. His mother is killed in a sectarian riot forcing him and his brother to become beggars.

The brother joins a gang, while Jamal finds a job as a lowly chaiwallah (teamaker) in a call centre. By some extraordinary chance, he becomes a contestant on the Who Wants to be a Millionaire? game show.

But even to win the game show, he has to overcome a corrupt system. While on the show, he is a popular hero. Backstage, Jamal is tortured by the police as the show’s managers try to extract a confession that he has cheated.

The backdrop to a redemptive love story is that of a poor, brutal and blighted society. That world, though real to hundreds of millions of Indians, is sharply at odds with how modern India sees itself. Many Indian viewers are highly uncomfortable with the depiction of the slumland, the deliberate maiming of children and police torture.

“There are no mass celebrations in the slum,” says Ganesh, who works for a travel agency in Dharavi, where much of the movie is set. “Most people in Dharavi haven’t even seen the movie.”

The film has been sharply criticised as “poverty ****”. Well-respected local filmmakers have described the film as titillating western audiences with its portrayal of slum life.

Priyadarshan Nair, an India film-maker, complained strongly that the film makes a mockery of India. “It’s nothing but a mediocre Bollywood film, which has used references from several Hindi films very smartly,” he wrote in the newspaper India Today at the weekend.

“India is not Somalia. We are one of the foremost nuclear powers in the world, our satellites are roaming the universe. Our police commissioners’ offices don’t look like shacks and there are no blind children begging in the streets of *Mumbai.”

Even some who like the movie are unhappy with its title. “Dog is really offensive for us Indians,” says Krishna Pujari, a former street child who now organises ethical tours of the slum.

Much of the resentment stems from the fact that India’s own booming Bollywood film industry – and the big names of Indian cinema – have not previously been recognised at the Academy Awards. Slumdog Millionaire and its cast, including child actors drawn from the slums, have succeeded where the glitz and the greats have not.

India has, however, found a way to celebrate the film. Critics and cinema-goers alike have praised A.R. Rahman, a well-known Indian musician, for his score, which captured an Oscar.

But some view Slumdog Millionaire’s success in Los Angeles as a geopolitical moment for India, and proof of a warming relationship with the US. Morris Reid, a lobbyist for the entertainment industry who was an adviser to former US president Bill Clinton, says the film’s success would awake a generation to India’s possibilities.

“Because of Slumdog Millionaire, millions of people in Kansas will be saying: ‘I’ve seen that movie and I’m interested in India’,” says Mr Reid.

“A lotus from the swamps” is how a proud father of a child actor in the film describes his son’s achievement. The prime minister, Manmohan Singh, reiterated that sentiment saying: “The winners have done India proud.”

FT.com / India / Politics & Society - ?Slumdog? Oscar success divides India

Well the Oscars have to be given to the different ethnics now that the world is becoming more globalized.

African Americans had their Oscars, "Indians" now have (alright touch and go with that one, but you know what I mean), the Chinese are next up (but there's a question mark), plus the South Americans should get their piece of the pie if they can improve their economies.

Do you have a hot new conspiracy theory for us roadrunner :woot:? The Chinese already have three Oscars for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Do you have a hot new conspiracy theory for us roadrunner :woot:? The Chinese already have three Oscars for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

There is the Mumbai connection. I'm sure I could formulate one. But then it might prejudice my genuine case against Gupta. So I'd better not.

There is the Mumbai connection. I'm sure I could formulate one. But then it might prejudice my genuine case against Gupta. So I'd better not.

You already have, remember, were Gupta was orginally Indian, but turned out Pakistanie.:eek:

Last edited:
Still sticking to the "gupta" nonsense I see. Ah well! It takes all sorts to make a world.

Anyways, Slumdog Millionaire is a good movie but certainly not exceptional enough to win Best picture IMO. It would have never received this much attention if it had been made by an Indian director. A.R.Rehman has also made much better songs than the one for which he won the oscar. Taare Zameen Par was a better movie too but it didnt make it to the oscars even in the best foreign lang film category.

And isn't there anybody else here who thinks that "The Dark Knight" was like a hundred times better than Slumdog Millionaire and should have won Best Picture????????????

P.S: What the hell happened here guys?? Looks like half the Indian members got banned -- Flintlock, ahmedsid, paritosh....

Everyone I know is talking about this great new Oscar winning Indian movie.
I’m sure many Americans are grateful for the message of hope it brings during these difficult times.

And who really cares if it’s Indian or British? Danny Boyle could have hardly made this movie without Indian collaboration and creative input.

its a british film
even a r rahman recently stated that in the indian media
im just trying to get some indians out of disbelief
and srry but americans are pretty dumb when it comes to knowledge
that y everyone u know is calling it a indian film
i know im living here

I watched the movie last night, its was brilliant and very confronting!
I hope the movie brings some changes in India for the betterment of slums.

I watched the movie last night, its was brilliant and very confronting!
I hope the movie brings some changes in India for the betterment of slums.
That will only come with sustained economic growth, smart allocation of resources, investment into critical infrastructure, increased rates of education and better family planning. Great movies only bring Oscars, Golden Globes and BAFTA awards.

Salman Rushdie: Thumbs down on “Slumdog Millionaire”

Speaking at Emory University on Sunday night, famed Indian novelist Salman Rushdie had few kind words for either Oscar-winning film “Slumdog Millionaire” or the novel from which it was drawn. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Rushdie “lambasted” both the “feel-good movie” and the book.

“The movie piles impossibility on impossibility,” Rushdie told the audience. “Q&A” by Vikas Swarup, the novel from which the movie was adapted, was the source of the film’s problems, he opined.

Rushdie didn’t have much positive to say about other Oscar contenders either. He called “The Reader” a “leaden, lifeless movie killed by respectability” and criticized “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” complaining that, “It doesn’t finally have anything to say.”

Rushdie is Distinguished Writer in Residence at Emory and will be giving occasional lectures there over a period of five years. He may eventually have the chance to discuss a move of his own with the Emory community. A film version of his novel “Midnight’s Children” is scheduled for release in 2010.

Salman Rushdie: Thumbs down on “Slumdog Millionaire” | csmonitor.com

Indian party claims 'Slumdog'

By Amy Kazmin in New Delhi

Published: February 25 2009 02:00 | Last updated: February 25 2009 02:00

India's ruling Congress party is seeking to capitalise on Slumdog Millionaire 's Oscar victory, claiming its own "good inclusive governance" over the past five years paved the way for the film's international triumph.

With parliamentary elections imminent, Abhishek Singhvi, a Congress spokesman, suggested the British-produced film was an Indian achievement - and proclaimed its Oscar winners, including Irish director Danny Boyle, national heroes. "We salute true heroes of achieving India at its best - each of the eight Oscar winners, regardless of their nationality - for the film of India, by India, for India," he told reporters.

Crediting the Congress-led coalition with creating a "conducive environment" for making the small-budget film, Mr Singhvi classed Slumdog 's Oscar glory with other high points of its term, including the landing of an Indian lunar probe, and the Indo-US nuclear deal.

The ruling party's embrace of Slumdog is the latest twist for a film that has generated deep ambivalence among affluent Indians, aspiring to see their nation as an emerging economic superpower.

The Oscars won by beloved Bollywood film composer A. R. Rahman and the Oscar for Resul Pookutty for best sound mixing were a particular source of pride.

The victory had special poignancy as both men are Muslims, a religious minority that still faces pervasive, deep-rooted discrimination within India's Hindumajority society.

Yet even as India - and the Congress - seeks to bask in Slumdog 's reflected Oscar glory, the feel-good factor is likely to dissipate quickly, given pressing economic problems. Standard & Poor's yesterday warned that it could cut India's long-term sovereign credit rating to junk, lowering its ratings outlook to negative from stable on concerns about the government's "unsustainable" fiscal position.

In a statement, S&P said the consolidated fiscal deficit - which includes off-budget oil and fertilizer subsidies - for the year ending March 2009 was 11.4 per cent of gross domestic product, up from 5.7 per cent last year.

FT.com / UK - Indian party claims 'Slumdog'

Does the " nationality' of a film matter more than its content ?

Does the " nationality' of a film matter more than its content ?

no but there a a mere confusion going on that many people think slumdog is a indian film and we're trying to clear that up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom