What's new

Slumdog Millionaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh for crissake, its an Indo-Brit joint production. End of discussion.

Please, Why dont you guys try to see Cinema for what it is! CINEMA!!!! Stop being so after the Sour Grapes!!! Its Cinema, Its for ALL, Its INCLUSIVE not EXCLUSIVE!!!!

Indeed a great flick, Superb. Some squemish scenes and uncomfortable moments, but one of the best movies I've had the pleasure of experiencing,worth winning Academy.

NEW DELHI (AFP) - "Slumdog Millionaire," the runaway hit film that has charmed audiences around the world, seems to have hit a sour note with one Indian activist a day before its release in India.
ADVERTISEMENT

Tapeshwar Vishwakarma, representing a slum-dwellers' welfare group, is suing the film's music composer A.R. Rahman and one of its stars, actor Anil Kapoor, for depicting slum-dwellers in a bad light and violating their human rights.

Vishwakarma objected to the use of words such as "slumdogs" to describe the millions of inhabitants of India's cramped shantytowns, and filed a defamation case against the duo in the east Indian city of Patna, according to media reports Thursday.

His lawsuit alleges that the very name of the movie is derogatory and an affront to the dignity of India's many slum-dwellers.

The Golden Globe-winning film tells the rags-to-riches story of a young orphan from Mumbai who defies expectations to win the Indian version of the popular gameshow Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

It has won accolades in India and abroad, and is viewed as a possible contender for next month's Oscars.

Vishwakarma told the Times of India that he is only suing Kapoor and Rahman because they are more familiar to Indian audiences than the film's British director Danny Boyle.

"Vishwakarma made it clear that he hardly expected anything positive from a British filmmaker as their ancestors described us as 'dogs'," Vishwakarma's lawyer Shruti Singh told the Indo-Asian News Service.

"But what hurt him was that even Indians associated with the film hardly bothered to object to calling us a 'slumdog'."

The film's co-director Loveleen Tandon is quoted in the Mail Today newspaper as defending the movie, saying "the title is really not meant to be taken as insulting or offensive."

The Patna court will hear the case on February 5.

how can they sue AR Rahman and Anil Kapoor? hahahahahah They should sue the Writer and Producers/Director. No one made this furore when the Book Came out, now everyone is after a pound of flesh. After Amitabhji its the slum dwellers turn! Good going, its onlly when u attack someone big, or famous that you too can be famous. Typical Mentality!

Planning to see it shortly. There are some in India who feel the movie is about exploiting Indian poverty to get Western eyeballs, I am not so sure.

I would make a decision after watching but my initial impressions are positive.

It is an Indian film produced and directed by Westerners!

Just like if a Shekhar Kapoor or a Shyamalan or an Amritraj make a film in Hollywood, it still remains an Hollywood film.

But this point doesn't really matter so much. Let's discuss the movie and cut out if it is Indian or not.

Yes Cinema is Cinema, no matter who makes it! Its for us all to watch! :)

Ek thread pey sab chipak jatey hain kasam sey... sirf ek movie hai!!!

Maybe i dun feel its too big because i watch too many movies i guess... :rolleyes:

Please, Why dont you guys try to see Cinema for what it is! CINEMA!!!! Stop being so after the Sour Grapes!!! Its Cinema, Its for ALL, Its INCLUSIVE not EXCLUSIVE!!!!

the discussion is not who the cinema is for is where the cinema is coming from
in this case is britain

Planning to see it shortly. There are some in India who feel the movie is about exploiting Indian poverty to get Western eyeballs, I am not so sure.

I would make a decision after watching but my initial impressions are positive.

It is an Indian film produced and directed by Westerners!

Just like if a Shekhar Kapoor or a Shyamalan or an Amritraj make a film in Hollywood, it still remains an Hollywood film.

But this point doesn't really matter so much. Let's discuss the movie and cut out if it is Indian or not.

u proved my point
the film is made by brits
its british

u proved my point
the film is made by brits
its british

I think you are missing the point.

But to me, this is not an important issue at all. Why should it be for anyone?

Please Watch the movie and Say Its not Indian! I mean the whole movie echoes BOLLYWOOD!!!!! This Movie Proves that Bollywood Sells even in Hollywood! Just watch and just notice how Bollywoodish it is! God Speed ;)

Slumdog Millionaire faces protests in India

Slum dwellers in Patna city held protests against Oscar-nominated film Slumdog Millionaire, demanding the makers of the film to remove the word dog from the title.

The protesters said their sensibilities had been offended by the title, which they said was abusive of people who live in slums. The city has witnessed protests ever since the film was released in India last Friday.

A group of slum dwellers protested against the showing of the film in the city, while some protesters tore down posters and banners of the film.

The Jhuggi Jhonpdi Sanyukta Sangharsh Samiti (a group promoting the rights of slum dwellers) threatened to burn director Danny Boyle's effigies. "We will burn Danny Boyle's effigies in 56 slums here," Tapeshwar Vishwakarma, General Secretary of the group said.

Kishori Das, another activist, said slum dwellers will continue to protest till the film's director deletes the word dog from the title. "We are in touch with like-minded organisations across India to take the issue on a large scale to put pressure," Das said.

Vishwakarma filed a petition in the court of the chief judicial magistrate last Tuesday, charging the movie's music director A R Rahman, actor Anil Kapoor and other Indians associated with the film with abusing slum dwellers in the name of entertainment just to earn money and fame.

"Vishwakarma requested the court to protect the honour and respect of millions of slum dwellers across India," his lawyer Shruti Singh said. The first hearing of the petition is scheduled on Feb 5.

A copy of the petition has been sent to the National Human Rights Commission, Bihar State Human Rights Commission and the Central Board of Film Certification.

How did they learn about the name of the movie?

Please Watch the movie and Say Its not Indian! I mean the whole movie echoes BOLLYWOOD!!!!! This Movie Proves that Bollywood Sells even in Hollywood! Just watch and just notice how Bollywoodish it is! God Speed ;)

when did the movie sell in bollywood?
it recently released in india and is not doing so well there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom