Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Sikhs rally in London over 1984 India temple attack

_53253056_7a77b482-6a8d-471b-a9cc-6426e5a4b5df.jpg

Sikh leaders called for the right to self-determination at the rally

About 25,000 Sikhs from across the UK attended a rally in Trafalgar Square to mark an attack on their holiest shrine in India, organisers have said.

Earlier Sikhs marched from Hyde Park to Trafalgar Square to commemorate the 1984 attack on the Golden Temple in Amritsar, Punjab, north India.

Indian armed forces stormed the holiest Sikh shrine 27 years ago to flush out militants from the temple premises.

Sikh leaders called for the right to self-determination at the rally.

The Sikh Federation UK, which organised the event, said people travelled to London in coaches to attend the Freedom Rally at Trafalgar Square.

Delegations also came from Europe for the event.

Operation Bluestar

Liberal Democrat MP Simon Hughes spoke at the rally alongside leaders and prominent personalities from the Sikh community in the UK, Europe and India.

The 1984 attack on the temple complex - Operation Bluestar - had been personally approved by Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, to flush out militants who wanted an independent homeland of Khalistan.

There has never been agreement on the numbers killed, but Sikhs say thousands were massacred by Indian troops, many of them innocent bystanders.

Mrs Gandhi was assassinated four months later by her Sikh bodyguards. Following her death anti-Sikh rioting erupted in India which left about 3,000 Sikhs dead.

Events are also being held in Vancouver in Canada and in California to mark the 27th anniversary of the attack.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13660218

I hope Indians realize their reputation among other nationalities as they boast of calling themselves as the "World's largest democracy."

I have seen many Uk sikhs are very pro india and some are very anti india . Why the divide in the sikh british community ?

Glad to see them rallying against indian state terrorism.

Do remember while you are at it that we too shall indulge and show glee at balochistan related threads in future. These gestures will be keenly reciprocated .Then please dont label us trolls .

Do remember while you are at it that we too shall indulge and show glee at balochistan related threads in future. These gestures will be keenly reciprocated .Then please dont label us trolls .

I will label you as a troll because Balochistan has nothing to do with the topic of this thread: Sikhs rally in London over 1984 India temple attack

Indians think that the entire world wants to be like them whereas outside India they are famous for being stinky and dirty. Moreover, little do they realize that behind the mask of "world's largest democracy". Insurrections from north to south rattle India. Abject poverty and corruption are something never to be forgotten altogether. Apart from Kashmir, the Khalistan movement, Maoists and the Tamils in the South, I guess they forget everything and are vying to tell the world hey listen do not ignore us "We are a power somewhat."

that;s quite a few Sikhs. Aside from the odd Sikh like Manmohan Singh, the hidden Sikh feeling is probably along these lines in India. I could imagine a Khalistan forming in the future.

There's quite a lot of Sikhs in Indian Punjab to justify having their own Sikhdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom