What's new

Shocking!!Thousands of muslim children in the UK being taught to chop hands off!!

I'm pretty sure this is an exaggeration. Every Muslim kid knows that the punishment for stealing is the chopping off of hands, however none of us were ever encouraged to do so by our elders or anything as such. Concepts of mercy and forgiveness were also taught and not to forget to follow the law of the land.

No wonder Islamophobia is on the rise across Europe if this is the sort of thing Muslim youth are being taught in their schools..It also explains to a certain extent the inexplicable and pervasive racially charged hatred displayed against Hindus on this forum and by Pakistanis in general, if the heavily criticized state curriculum in that country is anything similar (the Jews are replaced by 'Hindus' but the 'essential attributes' of the hated 'other', such as being stupid, devious, racially inferior etc etc, remain the same)

Firstly let me start by reminding you that you are discussing about schools in Britain, there is no need to drag Pakistan into the discussion unnecessarily. There is a world of a difference between Pakistani and British muslims. They are living in an alien environment, in an effort to preserve their faith, they end up overdoing it and becoming radicals that even denounce our practices !

Secondly, nobody is forcing you to stay on this forum, if you feel that the members are biased or hateful towards you, you are more than welcome to leave, I for one swear that I will not try and talk you into staying.

Thirdly, the behaviour of the "Pakistanis in general" as you eloquently describe it is just as the Indian attitude is towards Pakistan. Bulk of our population hates you and bulk of your population hates us, bulk of your population thinks we are terrorists and vice versa, bulk of your population thinks Pakistan should be nuked and vice versa, bulk of your population does not want to discuss their grievances with us and vice versa, so how do you figure there can be good relation ?
Don't force everything down our way, it's not like you live in a land of saints..........

Fourthly, you are in no position to criticize our state curriculum, because you have never even taken a peek at it. As I have not at yours, so what qualifies you to speak regarding a matter yu know nothing about ? Just because a couple of hippies like Najam Sethi say that it should be changed does not mean that it is the bottom line. It's their opinion and they are welcome to express it. I myself am a critic of the curriculum but not because it preaches negative feelings about any group in particular but because it emphasises too little on concept and too much on rote learning.

Lastly, Our attitude towards Jews, American, Indian(or Hindus as you put it) is a result of our grievances with their govt.
Read up: http://www.defence.pk/forums/u-s-foreign-affairs/81916-us-pilot-s-tale-gauntlet-goodwill.html
We hold nothing against individuals, even as we speak Sikh Yatris are leaving back for India, they didn't face any problems in Pakistan, their religious sites are maintained, paid for by MUSLIM taxpayers, their accommodation was arranged at the expense of mere millions of MUSLIM taxpayer's money, they were provided food and transport by MUSLIM volunteers.

So don't judge us, when you don't know us.........

Well i am not whining about how it is in another country. How many female fetuses are aborted in preference of a male is beyond shocking in India. The shocked Indian posters seems be indifferent to these mind boggling numbers of abortions.

Do a better house keeping before lecturing others.

hmmmm......i was waiting for either this or a referrence to indian poverty.....how is this related to this discussion i may ask?but i know its futille.you instead of adressing problems always take a way out by pointing others faults.so nothing new here..

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure this is an exaggeration. Every Muslim kid knows that the punishment for stealing is the chopping off of hands, however none of us were ever encouraged to do so by our elders or anything as such. Concepts of mercy and forgiveness were also taught and not to forget to follow the law of the land.

you mean it is written in quran like that.....

How is this bashing the muslims????Do you have any reason to doubt the veracity of the report? Do you not find it appalling that 5000 children, as young as 6, in this country are being coached in conspiracy theories and taught how to maim people?

What I am trying to do is generate debate on why this is happening and what YOU as a mainstream muslim can do to prevent it? By going into denial and characterizing it as 'muslim bashing', you are only making the job of the Wahabbis easier...

5000 is not a small number and is likely to include children from a number of muslim families who would consider themselves to be peaceful and moderate.There should be closer scrutiny of such schools not just in Europe but also in Pakistan as they are likely to act as future breeding grounds for violent extremism.As you know indoctrinating the youth has always been a time tested favourite of fascist movements (Hitler Jungen anyone)

Firstly these are religious schools. As a RELIGEOUS SCHOOL, YOU ARE TAUGHT WHAT IS PART OF YOUR RELIGION. MY religion, teaches ME that if a person steels from another without just cause and the crime is proven irrefutably , then in an Islamic society, his punishment is as above. By the same token it is the responsibility of the society and government to ensure that he has enough means that he does not have to steal. However the emphasis should be on irrefutable proof and also lack of a credible reason. You can call it what you like, I am not ashamed of it. Similarly, the crime for adultery, observed by 4 credible witnesses , in Islamic society should be stoning to the death.Thirdly Gay relations are discouraged in all Abrahimic religions, and the punishment is the same, ie death penalty, unless they repent and promise to not do it again. However you will now unsderstand one thing, that it is virtually impossible to prove these crimes unless carried out in the open. Why is this so? The emphasis in islam is on discouraging rather than on punishment unless it is so blatantly committed that there are credible witnesses.Secondly, by their very brutality Allah has ensured that one punishment of such nature becomes a deterrent for thousands of people
The point i am trying to make is that these are Allah,s commands and therefore as a muslim they are obligatory on all Muslim societiesto implement. We are living in a non muslim society, so we follow the rules of this society. However, as a part of our religious studies, it is our right to know and understand what punishments there should be in an islamic society for crimes such as above. This will do 2 things, understanding of our religion and prevention of these crimes in society just by reading about them.
As a non muslim, you are free to live your life the way you want to and no one will and should interfere with it. However, whether you like it or not, it is OUR belief, the the punishment of a non believer on the day of judgement is eternal hell fire. This gives you 2 options, choose to ignore it as a fantasy of the muslim mind, or try and read about it in the Quran and see whether there is any enlightenment for you in it. No body has stopped you from doing it. At least then you would have made an enlightened choice rather than an uninformed one.
I think this is nothing more than mass hysteria being created against muslims. If you are bothered enough look in the Abrahimic religions(Juaism, Christianity, and islam) and you will find the same punishments for the above sins, which would be considered crimes in a religious society, in each of the above religions.
Hope it answers your comment.
Araz

I think this is nothing more than mass hysteria being created against muslims. If you are bothered enough look in the Abrahimic religions(Juaism, Christianity, and islam) and you will find the same punishments for the above sins, which would be considered crimes in a religious society, in each of the above religions.
Hope it answers your comment.

I think the point is not that it's also religiously approved in Judaism or Christianity, but Islamic institutions are allowed to carry on teaching the religious corporal punishment with graphical details when other Semitic religions are not allowed to do the same.

Yeah, it's true that post 9/11, Islam is on the eye of storm more often than her sister religions.

Corporal_punishment_in_Europe.svg

The blue ones are who made corporal punishment illegal. So I think the institutions are indulging in an illegal activity. Islam or phobia related to it has no relevance in legality of the teaching.

I think the point is not that it's also religiously approved in Judaism or Christianity, but Islamic institutions are allowed to carry on teaching the religious corporal punishment with graphical details when other Semitic religions are not allowed to do the same.

Yeah, it's true that post 9/11, Islam is on the eye of storm more often than her sister religions.

The difference is that west , due to previous historical experiences has elected to separate the church from the state, whereas in islam you are not allowed to do so. We call islam a complete way of life (although the muslim world is not bereft of its bigots, and full islamic system is not implemented anywhere)complete with its own system for everything that a society needs. for all students, therefore it is necessary to learn about all the incorporates of the system.
Araz

The blue ones are who made corporal punishment illegal. So I think the institutions are indulging in an illegal activity. Islam or phobia related to it has no relevance in legality of the teaching.

Just because corporal punishment is illegal does not mean you dont get educated about it. People reading about corporal punishments just read about them and your statment implies that all the legal fraternity is indulging in illegal acts. Again it is emphasised that it is provision of knowledge rather than actual teaching of the act.If you indulged in the activity in the provision of the actual punishment , that would be illegal
Araz

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Just because corporal punishment is illegal does not mean you dont get educated about it. People reading about corporal punishments just read about them and your statement implies that all the legal fraternity is indulging in illegal acts. Again it is emphasised that it is provision of knowledge rather than actual teaching of the act.If you indulged in the activity in the provision of the actual punishment , that would be illegal
Araz

The difference is that west , due to previous historical experiences has elected to separate the church from the state, whereas in islam you are not allowed to do so. We call islam a complete way of life (although the muslim world is not bereft of its bigots, and full islamic system is not implemented anywhere)complete with its own system for everything that a society needs. for all students, therefore it is necessary to learn about all the incorporates of the system.
Araz

Araz, No one is questioning the Muslim community's right to learn about or teach what some may consider Islamic jurisprudence. I am not going to question the merits of the system but would like to point out that it has not managed to wipe out crime in Saudi Arabia.What is of concern though is that this extremely rigid form of the Sharia is being offered up as the 'only option' to children who are incapable of arriving at informed opinions about these matters, especially since they are not being similarly educated on the exisiting legal systems of the countries they reside in and this 'education' is being combined with bigoted views about other faiths. It is well known that Wahhabis are actively encouraging adherents to reject the Western values and legal systems (watch 'Undercover mosques') it is likely that this school based initiative is only part of that.

You may have no issues with this sort of thing going on in Pakistan despite its very obvious link to rising radicalism and terrorism in that country but the fact that this is going on in the UK is a matter of concern. We have already seen increasing support for the adoption of Sharia in the UK and an example of radicalised Muslim youth refusing to recognise the jurisdiction of UK courts..

Poll reveals 40pc of Muslims want sharia law in UK - Telegraph

Roshonara Choudhry jailed for life over MP attack | UK news | guardian.co.uk

I believe this hardline theological discourse will only lead to further segregation of Muslims in the UK, which is precisely what the Saudis want. When I say UK, I only consider this part of a grand plan by the Wahabbis to impose their version of political Islam across the globe and the above is equally relevant to Pakistan as well...

Last edited:
Just because corporal punishment is illegal does not mean you dont get educated about it. People reading about corporal punishments just read about them and your statment implies that all the legal fraternity is indulging in illegal acts. Again it is emphasised that it is provision of knowledge rather than actual teaching of the act.If you indulged in the activity in the provision of the actual punishment , that would be illegal
Araz

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Just because corporal punishment is illegal does not mean you dont get educated about it. People reading about corporal punishments just read about them and your statement implies that all the legal fraternity is indulging in illegal acts. Again it is emphasised that it is provision of knowledge rather than actual teaching of the act.If you indulged in the activity in the provision of the actual punishment , that would be illegal
Araz

Araz,I can see that you endorse such punishments so maybe this would be completely lost on you but the textbooks contain detailed diagrams of where the cuts are to be made and how to reduce blood loss following amputation. Sounds more like a quick primer on how to go about amputating limbs rather than an innocent attempt to deter children from engaging in crime through educating them on corporal punishment

[/B]

Firstly let me start by reminding you that you are discussing about schools in Britain, there is no need to drag Pakistan into the discussion unnecessarily. There is a world of a difference between Pakistani and British muslims. They are living in an alien environment, in an effort to preserve their faith, they end up overdoing it and becoming radicals that even denounce our practices !

Secondly, nobody is forcing you to stay on this forum, if you feel that the members are biased or hateful towards you, you are more than welcome to leave, I for one swear that I will not try and talk you into staying.

Thirdly, the behaviour of the "Pakistanis in general" as you eloquently describe it is just as the Indian attitude is towards Pakistan. Bulk of our population hates you and bulk of your population hates us, bulk of your population thinks we are terrorists and vice versa, bulk of your population thinks Pakistan should be nuked and vice versa, bulk of your population does not want to discuss their grievances with us and vice versa, so how do you figure there can be good relation ?
Don't force everything down our way, it's not like you live in a land of saints..........

Fourthly, you are in no position to criticize our state curriculum, because you have never even taken a peek at it. As I have not at yours, so what qualifies you to speak regarding a matter yu know nothing about ? Just because a couple of hippies like Najam Sethi say that it should be changed does not mean that it is the bottom line. It's their opinion and they are welcome to express it. I myself am a critic of the curriculum but not because it preaches negative feelings about any group in particular but because it emphasises too little on concept and too much on rote learning.

Lastly, Our attitude towards Jews, American, Indian(or Hindus as you put it) is a result of our grievances with their govt.
Read up: http://www.defence.pk/forums/u-s-foreign-affairs/81916-us-pilot-s-tale-gauntlet-goodwill.html
We hold nothing against individuals, even as we speak Sikh Yatris are leaving back for India, they didn't face any problems in Pakistan, their religious sites are maintained, paid for by MUSLIM taxpayers, their accommodation was arranged at the expense of mere millions of MUSLIM taxpayer's money, they were provided food and transport by MUSLIM volunteers.

So don't judge us, when you don't know us.........

1) I am not claiming that every Muslim in the UK follows Wahhabism and recognise that there are moderates and fundamentalists in every society, be it Pakistan, Britain, US or India. But I am not convinced there is a qualitative difference in the causes for and trajectories of radical Muslim movements across the world. In fact what drives it in the UK/US is exactly what drives it in the tribal belts of Pakistan and parts of Pakistani Punjab. It is a violent ideology obsessed with global domination hiding behind the veneer of religion which many moderate Muslims fail to challenge or even feel forced to defend as any attempt to confront it is seen as an attack on wider Islam (an idea actively promoted by the Wahhabis themselves). So what is true for Wahhabis in the UK holds true for their ilk in Pakistan as well.

2) Give yourself a moment to consider why large numbers of Indians frequent this forum. While some may be here to flame and troll, most see this forum as a rare opportunity to interact with Pakistanis in real life and are here in the (vain) hope that this people to people contact, albeit on an internet forum, may eventually help reduce the kind of suspicion and mistrust that exists between the two nations. All we are trying to do is to have a civilised debate and I am sure most members will agree that PDF will be a far less interesting place if it was just full of Pakistanis agreeing with each other all the time.

3) You refer to my comments about Pakistanis ‘in general’ and accuse Indians of talking in broad brushstrokes and vilifying their neighbours. You talk about Indians being obsessed with the destruction of Pakistan but provide no evidence to substantiate your allegations (comments by a few bigots on this forum and the rare nutjob in the Indian media don`t count).How do you go about reality testing your assumptions about Indians apart from, say, posting antagonistic content on here and inviting hostile comments from Indian members? Is it possible that these are just your views on how Indians perceive Pakistanis which are largely influenced by what you are fed by the state and populist media? One needs to recognise that actions of individuals determine whether they are ‘good’ or ‘bad’ and virtue or evil cannot be broadly ascribed to a particular group or faith( just as Muslims bemoan the depiction of their faith in the West) It is essential for the Pakistani military and security establishment to continue portraying the Indians/Hindus as the ‘enemy’ in order to allow them to misappropriate most of Pakistan’s resources to serve their vested interests. In this they have a willing ally in the Wahhabists who are also keen to drive a wedge between the Muslims and the rest of the world for the sake of the larger ‘Ummah’

4) I won`t claim to have gone through the whole of the Pakistani curriculum but I have certainly read a report on it produced by an Islamabad based NGO. Follow the link below to read it, with particular reference to pages 10-23 and page 59 onwards.

http://www.sdpi.org/whats_new/reporton/State%20of Curr&TextBooks.pdf

Please note that the excerpts are not from theological textbooks but from mainstream subjects such as Social Studies and Urdu. I would be very surprised if you find anything of this sort against Muslims or Pakistan in any Indian textbook.

Note how the state systematically attempts to justify the primacy of the military in Pakistani life by inventing the ‘Ideology of Pakistan’ and portraying the country as an Islamic bulwark against a devious neighbour. The attempts to dehumanise and stereotype Hindus, condemning them as a backward, dishonest and barbaric group, is very similar to the of the sort of propaganda that the Nazis ran against the Jews in the 1930s. It is difficult to cultivate hate against a group if people continue to view them as a collection of individuals, some of who are bad but others good, which is why fascist regimes take to collective vilification of their adversaries. Only on visiting places like Aushwitz does one realise the potency of such propaganda as, without developing a deep rooted hate for ‘Jewness’ through sustained propaganda, no German guard would have been able to look beyond the individual in front of him and commit the sort of horrific crimes that took place there.

We can already see how such prejudices have permeated every aspect of Pakistani society.

YouTube - Sohail Tanvir blames Hindus for IPL snub

And what sanctions, if any, did the news anchor and the cricketer in question receive for their comments? And this is despite the fact that there is a significant minority of Hindus living in Pakistan. Before you start with Gujarat etc , all I am trying to do is illustrate how subversive curriculums and hate filled narratives can influence popular opinion and perceptions that can hamper, in the case of the UK, community cohesion, and Pakistan, chance of reconciliation with India.

..which is why Wahhabi influenced curriculums, including that in Pakistan, should be purged of such hate filled content..

4) I do not doubt for a second that Pakistanis are among the most generous and hospitable people around the world. It is well known that many Westerners who visit the subcontinent prefer Pakistan to India due to the hospitality of its people.On the other hand, I am sure you would have come across stories of individual kindness towards Muslims by Hindus/Sikhs in India as well. However, mixed messages from the religious and military establishment have resulted in the Pakistani nationhood becoming defined largely around its ‘Muslim otherness’ from India and the resulting radicalisation is now destabilising the country itself. Its got nothing to do with the innate goodness or badness of Pakistanis but how they view themselves in relation to the rest of the world.

Last edited:

I agree. Islam is taught in schools, at least when I attended, BTW my primary school was a Catholic school in Dhaka.

The graphics lessons maybe in the courses in Madrassas. Theses Madrassas have millions of students. In many cases these kids are orphans. A parent or parents are not there to filter any radical teachings the Madrassa may have on the curriculum. But I don't see an epidemic of people going around chopping hands off in Bangladesh.

Some folks will take the news at face value and run with it.

Araz

But the activities is being carried out in West, so it's wrong to see that with the context of Islamic world. As you rightfully mentioned, west has separated church from state, so it's only but natural for them to see the evil at drop of hat.

Out of pure academic curiosity: You said in Islamic law state is equally responsible as a thief, as the state failed to prevent the thief from stealing or failed to offer him a good life. So what punishment Islam inflict upon the rulers along with the thieves in this case?

But the activities is being carried out in West, so it's wrong to see that with the context of Islamic world. As you rightfully mentioned, west has separated church from state, so it's only but natural for them to see the evil at drop of hat.

Out of pure academic curiosity: You said in Islamic law state is equally responsible as a thief, as the state failed to prevent the thief from stealing or failed to offer him a good life. So what punishment Islam inflict upon the rulers along with the thieves in this case?

Oye Shahrukh kay rishtaydar...

The west has no law against teaching concepts of a religion... Church being separate from state does not mean that there is no longer a Church... similarly as long as no one chopping a thief's hands in Britain they do not have a problem with it being taught...

well actually they do but they cant do anything about it... lol

Araz

Araz

But the teaching will encourage someone to carry out the activity in real. What's the point of learning something if don't apply it to real world?

Also the graphic details is a matter of concern as well, I think same kind of brouhaha would also happen if some missionary was found out to be teaching canning the back with graphic details.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom