What's new

Setting Tom Friedman Straight: Exposing an agenda of vilification (against Pakistan)

Whether the comparison was between 'Indian Muslims' or 'Indian Hindus' and Pakistanis, the comparison itself remains a derogatory and unsubstantiated, generalization meant to vilify a large majority of Pakistanis.

Its like arguing that saying something derogatory about Blacks is alright because 'I have a Black friend and he agrees with me and therefore I am not racist'.

Of course this Indian attitude of supporting morally indefensible positions is beginning to appear 'par for the course' given the vocal support for the most recent Israeli atrocities against unarmed civilian aid workers in international waters..

I see that you are okay with generalising about Indians, it's only when someone does it about Pakistanis that you protest.

The 'cheap shot' here was entirely Friedman's, and that you choose to justify it by coming up with convoluted excuses about 'what he actually meant' reflects very poorly upon you and some of the other Indians who have shown support for his racist comments on this thread.

Whether putting something in context which was omitted (inadvertently?) casts a poor reflection or whether jumping into a discussion without having read the book casts a poor reflection is something i guess we will have to leave to others to judge. As for standing up for Friedman, I am sure he manages quite well without my support.

But the Pakistan is neither North Korea nor Zimbabwe, so your analogy makes no sensed, though it does reflect the extent of misinformation and the limitations of Indian views on Pakistan that you would have to stoop to such a comparison.

Would have helped if you had understood the context in which it was said. TL was referring to the absence of media write ups on such stories and i made the remark pointing out that the main story coming out of a country ( in Pakistan's case terrorism) tends to swamp all others, hence the mention of Zimbabwe & NK. You could choose Burma,Iraq,Iran instead if you like those choices better than mine. This was an argument made in my first post & continued here. "Indian limitations"? You really don't seem to have any problems with generalisations as long as you are the one making them.

As for the arguments on terrorism, been there;done that!
We are not going to agree on that, so no point in revisiting that today.

^^ Not only are you wrong in your "handful of private schools" line of thinking, you have also missed the broader point. That Friedman's characterization of Pakistani children being conniving, killers-in-training is not just bull$hit, it is Nazi-esque in its inhumanity. There are no words to condemn this sort of hate mongering.

Now, coming to the other point you are wrong about: You may not know that Pakistan is home to the largest private school network in the world. We are not talking about a "handful" of private schools here. Just in one of the school systems I referenced - Beaconhouse - 165,000 students are presently enrolled. The City School, which I also referenced, has another 40,000 students enrolled. The Lahore Grammar School, with branches all over the country (Quetta, Faisalabad, Peshawar, Karachi, Lahore, Multan etc.) is not far behind. These numbers are not made up of children of the elite, but that of the middle class. In fact, each of these schools has an inexpensive network of branches integrated within the overall system for the children from the lower middle class.

Beaconhouse School System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of these children do you think go abroad? An infinitesimal number. This is a reality which rubbishes your rhetorical 'beeline for moving abroad' nonsense.

Even in institutions of higher learning today, the vast, vast majority of students being produced at places such as FAST ICS, NUST, GIK Institute and LUMS etc. are staying back in Pakistan. An overwhelming number of the girls leaving LGS (Lahore Grammar School) are pursuing higher education in Pakistan. These are the same girls that, far from dreaming of killing their neighbours ala Friedman's sick fantasy, repeatedly qualify for and win the NASA world science championships in Houston. After winning last year and being in the final few the year before, they have qualified again this year!

And higher ratios of Aitchisonians - a product of Aitchison College, an unabashedly elite institution for 125 years - are staying on in Pakistan. These are children of parents who could easily obtain the "for-sale" version of the green card overnight, which you get when you invest $1M in the US... and yet they choose to now stay away from the US, much less make your imagined beeline! The numbers of Pakistani students from all social backgrounds going to the US have diminished drastically. These are facts that I see on the ground. No amount of Google searching for bull$hit statistics takes away from an on-the-ground reality.

I am not going to defend Friedman's quotes of something said by an Indian Muslim. However using one example to say that he is villifying muslims and has a racist agenda is stretching it. Give me a few more examples and i may agree with you. Thomas Friedman, in his works in print and television that I have seen, has not come across as a racist against Indians, Pakistanis or the Chinese. He may grate sometimes and I do disagree with him occasionally.

What I wanted to discuss was the Pakistani educational system. All the school, and school systems mentioned above cater to a small minority of the students in Pakistan. But more importantly the curriculum. Here is a link of an exhaustive study :

http://www.sdpi.org/whats_new/reporton/State of Curr&TextBooks.pdf

This is its summary:

The March 2002 revision of curricula undertaken by the Curriculum Wing of the Ministry
of Education did not address the problems that existed in earlier curriculum documents.
In some cases, these problems are now even worse.
Our analysis found that some of the most significant problems in the current curricula
and textbooks are:
􀁸􀀃 Inaccuracies of fact and omissions that serve to substantially distort the nature and
significance of actual events in our history.
􀁸􀀃 Insensitivity to the existing religious diversity of the nation
􀁸􀀃 Incitement to militancy and violence, including encouragement of Jehad and
Shahadat

􀁸􀀃 Perspectives that encourage prejudice, bigotry and discrimination towards fellow
citizens, especially women and religious minorities, and other towards nations.

􀁸􀀃 A glorification of war and the use of force
􀁸􀀃 Omission of concepts, events and material that could encourage critical selfawareness
among students
􀁸􀀃 Outdated and incoherent pedagogical practices that hinder the development of
interest and insight among students
To give a few examples:
The books on Social Studies systematically misrepresent events that have happened
throughout the Pakistan’s history, including those which are within living memory of many
people.
This history is narrated with distortions and omissions. The causes, effects, and
responsibility for key events are presented so as to leave a false understanding of our
national experience. A large part of the history of South Asia is also omitted, making it
difficult to properly interpret events, and narrowing the perspective that should be open
to students. Worse, the material is presented in ways that encourage the student to
marginalize and be hostile towards other social groups and people in the region.
The curricula and textbooks are insensitive to the religious diversity of the Pakistani
society. While learning of Islamiat is compulsory for Muslim students, on average over a
quarter of the material in books to teach Urdu as a language is on one religion. The
books on English have lessons with religious content. Islamiat is also taught in Social
Studies classes. Thus, the entire is heavily laden with religious teachings, reflecting a
very narrow view held by a minority among Muslims that all the education should be
essentially that of Islamiat.24
There is a strong current of exclusivist and divisive tendencies at work in the subject
matter recommended for studies in the curriculum documents as well as in textbooks.
Pakistani nationalism is repeatedly defined in a manner that excludes non-Muslim
Pakistanis from either being Pakistani nationals or from even being good human beings.

Much of this material runs counter to any efforts at national integration.
The Constitution of Pakistan is cited but misinterpreted, in making the reading of the
Qur'an compulsory in schools. The Constitution requires the compulsory reading of the
Qur’an for Muslim students alone, but in complete disregard of this restriction, it is
included in the textbooks of a compulsory subject like Urdu which is to be read by
students of all religions.
The Class III Urdu textbook has 7 lessons on Nazra Qur'an and
its translations. The Urdu and Social Studies curricula even ask for all the students to be
taught Islamic religious practices like Namaz and Wuzu.
Besides severe pedagogical problems like uneven standards of lessons in books on
English and Urdu languages and bad English even in the English language books,
glaring contradictions exist in books on Social Studies. Together, these factors make it
almost impossible for students to develop critical and analytical skills.
The curriculum as well as textbooks excessively emphasize the "Ideology of Pakistan"
which is a post-independence construction devised to sanctify their politics of those
political forces which were initially inimical to the creation of Pakistan
Most of the textbook problems cited above have their origin in two sources: (1)
curriculum documents and syllabi and (2) the instructions to textbook authors issued from the Curriculum Wing of the Ministry of Education. As long as the same institutions
continue to devise curricula, the problems will persist. Repeated interventions from the
post-1988 civilian governments failed to overcome the institutional resistance.
The problems are further accentuated when the authors of textbooks produce books that
are heavily laden with doctrinal material and devoid of much useful instructional content.
The provincial textbook boards are to be held squarely responsible for repeatedly failing
to produce textbooks that are useful and interesting to students.
vii

Just from this simple summary I can see causation for the attack on the Ahmadi's, the attacks on other minorities, the gun and Jihadi culture.

I admire your patriotism for your country.....but if this problem in the educational system is not fixed...no amount of wars by the PA is going to solve the problem.

So based on Friedman's poisonous little anecdote, the majority of the world is racist, and his vile comments are meant to appeal to and satisfy that racism/xenophobia?

Tech addressed the issue of 'positive news vs negative news' very well in his post, but as I pointed out to Bangalore, Friedman's comments are not just about harping on the terrorist menace, but essentially publishing a vicious, racist lie based on an 'anecdote by an Indian friend', that seeks to vilify and denigrate a large majority of Pakistanis.

Anyone who reads a racist comment from a writer automatically does not become a racist himself.. Even if he/she is able to identify that writing as an explanation to one or more of open questions facing his society. Friedman in his own convulated way offers an explanation to the question every westerner asks about Pakistan. I agree that his explanation is as warped as it gets, but still is an explanation which finds takers in the western world.

Such writings act as a reasonable barometer to the perceptions of the minds of the readers. The fact Friedman writes this, indicates that his explanation seems plausible to a majority of his audience.

I see that you are okay with generalising about Indians, it's only when someone does it about Pakistanis that you protest.
I am basing my comments on the overwhelming majority of Indians on this forum and elsewhere supporting the positions I condemned them for, and the attitudes displayed by the overwhelming majority of Indian posters on mainstream Indian media outlets.

Friedman is basing his comments on an 'anecdote from an Indian friend'.

Whether putting something in context which was omitted (inadvertently?) casts a poor reflection or whether jumping into a discussion without having read the book casts a poor reflection is something i guess we will have to leave to others to judge. As for standing up for Friedman, I am sure he manages quite well without my support.
There is no 'context' to explain away Friedman's racist and derogatory comments - whether his 'Indian friend' was Muslim, Hindu or a Martian does not change the fact that his comments were a derogatory generalization without substantiation.

Would have helped if you had understood the context in which it was said. TL was referring to the absence of media write ups on such stories and i made the remark pointing out that the main story coming out of a country ( in Pakistan's case terrorism) tends to swamp all others, hence the mention of Zimbabwe & NK. You could choose Burma,Iraq,Iran instead if you like those choices better than mine. This was an argument made in my first post & continued here. "Indian limitations"? You really don't seem to have any problems with generalisations as long as you are the one making them.
Again, unlike Zimbabwe and North Korea, Pakistan has a lot of favorable things going for it along with the unfavorable - the two countries mentioned above have little in the way of 'favorable' news, hence an invalid analogy in terms of why there isn't sufficient media coverage of the 'good' in Pakistan. Of all your examples only Iran is really close, and there too I would argue strong Western bias in reporting on anything but the Iranian regimes 'oppression' and 'covert nuclear program'. Iranian literacy rates, basic infrastructure and development etc. outshine both India and Pakistan for example, and the Iranian regime has been largely responsible for that.

I am not going to defend Friedman's quotes of something said by an Indian Muslim. However using one example to say that he is villifying muslims and has a racist agenda is stretching it. Give me a few more examples and i may agree with you. Thomas Friedman, in his works in print and television that I have seen, has not come across as a racist against Indians, Pakistanis or the Chinese. He may grate sometimes and I do disagree with him occasionally.
I think the one example provided does at least show which direction he leans in - why after all use such an obviously derogatory and generalized quote in his book? As 'intelligent' as many of you claim he is, and the vetting process books go through before being published, the passage about Pakistanis could have been caught and removed at any time - yet it wasn't. In general it plays into the overall negative narrative against Pakistan in the US, a narrative IMO encouraged by the US establishment to denigrate Pakistan and Pakistanis lest it have to undertake military action against the State in the future.

What I wanted to discuss was the Pakistani educational system. All the school, and school systems mentioned above cater to a small minority of the students in Pakistan. But more importantly the curriculum. Here is a link of an exhaustive study :

http://www.sdpi.org/whats_new/reporton/State%20of Curr&TextBooks.pdf

This is its summary:
This is off topic, and there are multiple other threads where this discussion has taken place.
Just from this simple summary I can see causation for the attack on the Ahmadi's, the attacks on other minorities, the gun and Jihadi culture.

I admire your patriotism for your country.....but if this problem in the educational system is not fixed...no amount of wars by the PA is going to solve the problem.
Then you see incorrectly. Were the attacks on Ahmadis the only attacks the Taliban had carried out there might be some validity to your claim, but the fact is that this may be in fact the first terrorist attack by the Taliban on the Ahmadis. The Taliban have also attacked non-Ahmadi mosques and civilian targets, both Sunni and Shia, multiple times before this incident. The 'Gun and Jihadi culture' also owes a lot more to the Afghan Jihad and the subsequent support for the Taliban then it does to anything else. Much of the cannon fodder for Jihad also came not from mainstream schools with government curriculum, but from Madrassa's, and continue to come from Madrassa's (the captured terrorist from the Ahmadi mosques attack studied in a Madrassa).

While improvements in the curriculum are a positive move, and there are some distortions in it that the improvements should fix, the curriculum does not play this evil role in brainwashing students that is being implied here, otherwise most Pakistanis would be supporting terrorism, and polling from Pakistan over the years quite clearly indicates over 95% opposition to attacks on civilians and terrorism. I studied under that curriculum, as did many of my friends and relatives - most of them are pursuing higher education in the US, Europe, Australia or Pakistan. None of us ever talked about the 'issues' the studies point out in the curriculum, none of us remember specifically being taught 'Hindu, Ahmadi bad, bad, bad'.

Issues related to Ahmadi's are more of a social issue than a curriculum issue - the animosity towards the Ahmadis is inculcated at home and sometimes in mosques, not at school. My recollections of 'Ahmadi bashing' (and Shia bashing) are from interactions with family and friends, not from a teacher at school. And again, while changes in the curriculum are a positive move, what is more important is the need for a long term public dialog on these issues, on why discrimination and prejudice against any community on the basis of things like faith, color, ethnicity etc. is wrong and unconscionable - no amount of nice words about Ahmadis in the textbooks will change things unless Pakistanis engage in a dialog about how to deal with a communities with differences in faith. Much like it took a public dialog (an ongoing one) on race in the US, with some courage shown by government and the Courts, to move society firmly against racism, or at least make it publicly taboo.

That dialog is something we are increasingly seeing in the English print media, blogs and fora - it needs to also make its way to television (by far the most accessible medium).

Anyone who reads a racist comment from a writer automatically does not become a racist himself.. Even if he/she is able to identify that writing as an explanation to one or more of open questions facing his society. Friedman in his own convulated way offers an explanation to the question every westerner asks about Pakistan. I agree that his explanation is as warped as it gets, but still is an explanation which finds takers in the western world.

Such writings act as a reasonable barometer to the perceptions of the minds of the readers. The fact Friedman writes this, indicates that his explanation seems plausible to a majority of his audience.

But again, if most of his audience finds such vile comments 'plausible' does that not indicate a predisposition of his audience to racism and denigration and generalization of an entire peoples? Granted the US has precedent for this in terms of racism towards Blacks and to an extent Hispanics, but this is suppose to be a 'post-racial world'.

Deliberate misconstruing of my post to score a cheap point? I expected better. The objection to your

You evade the question again. Since you appear to be going to lengths to defend the vile and morally reprehensible allegation Friedman inserted into his book, and are not directly addressing my earlier question, I can only believe that you are supportive of this.

And that is the company that you want to keep?

Don't indulge in word play when you can't find a logical out. My point, very clearly, was that Bangladesh and others did not get the same level of media attention that Pakistan did. And that wreaks of bias.

Unfortunately not. It is not just the actions of a few, it's the support that organs of the state have given them. Many Pakistanis talk about the WoT as having started when the Americans came into

Organs of state, which would include America. And unfortunately now they are getting support from other states, such as India.

beginning. Untill then, I am afraid that the ring road would only be covered in the event of a terrorist strike occurring along it.

If Pakistan were easy to write off, trust me, it would have been written off by now. But it has not, and can not be. Instead you find western governments engaging it and, often, operating on Pakistani terms. Remember, there is a big difference in what the governments of the west end up having to do, and how their media reports it. The fact of the matter is that despite the noises in the Western media and the significant diplomatic investment India itself made, Pakistan does not at all stand isolated. To the contrary, there is more engagement with it today than there was 20 years ago, and more vows of long term engagement than there ever were. For all India's efforts amidst the toughest times for Pakistan given the WoT, it was still not able to de-hyphenate Pakistan and India. This is quote monumentally evident from the most recent US State Dept. statements concerning how the US will not disengage with either India or Pakistan just because the other says so. Considering that Pakistan is not asking the US to disengage with India, I leave the obvious interpretation of this statement to your imagination. Further, India has also not been able to use Pakistan's time of weakness - from which it is now emerging militarily and economically - to work its way into the role of a regional power broker. The various setbacks and failures encountered by India in Afghanistan being one exhibit for the aforementioned.

So, the net-net is that while the Ring Road might not be featured on CNN as the Three Gorges Dam was, it is not possible to ignore an emerging Pakistan for too long. Ultimately, the population in the US tires of the same old narrative... segregation and racism against Blacks gives way to integration, McCarthyism gives way to friendly ties with Russia and China, Iran goes from friend to foe and who knows, maybe soon enough it will be back to being a friend... so too the WoT story loses its luster. Like Lost, it may play prime time for some years, but ultimately the end will come. And the last few episodes are unfolding right before us with that 2011 deadline looming large.

You Sir, have a bigger problem than you are willing to admit.

Of course we have problems, but just as in your case, or the case of the Chinese or even the Israelis, progress does not limit itself to conditions when all societal problems have been solved. If that were the case, no country would ever progress. The massive Naxalite insurgency, freedom struggle in Kashmir, violence against christians and muslims, burning of churches, Gujrats and Babri Masjids, Dalits, massive levels of poverty, corruption, poor infrastructure and many more ills plague your own country. Despite all this, would you say you are not progressing? There are people like Modi who got elected to power after their encouragement of violence that led to the mass slaughter of large numbers of muslims. The act against Ahmedis was carried out by nameless, faceless terrorists who had to run. The slaughter of the far larger number of muslims in India happened in broad daylight, with the support of what have now become mainstream politicians. Yet they got re-elected. Would you say India then has an even larger problem; a sham democracy and a right-wing hindu populace that empowers murderers?

Our problems, on balance, are actually smaller than those of many others. They are "fashionable" problems though, as far as the world is concerned. So they occupy center stage, even though we believe unfairly so. While our progress and development remains invisible, the only thing that is often focused on are these problems - which by the way, in different forms and manifestations exist in many countries of the world.

If they won't talk about the Ring Road. I will. Until they come around. Which they have no choice but to.

Hi,
primarily it's the responsibility of Pakistani media (print & electronic both) to counter any propaganda against Pakistan, this Goody two shoes attitude is not going to earn Pakistan any nobel peace awards. if you ask me our media is very irresponsible when it comes to this. Pakistani media is all about lives of politicians & their feuds, Media should have guts to twist the facts & propagate if it is deemed necessary to counter propaganda this helps a lot.

Agnostic Muslim,

Are you suggesting that the consistent indoctrination sanctified by the govt. had nothing to with the attack on the Ahmaddiyas?

Agnostic Muslim,

Are you suggesting that the consistent indoctrination sanctified by the govt. had nothing to with the attack on the Ahmaddiyas?

Does the government also "sanctify consistent indoctrination" against Shias? They were attacked in Karachi by terrorists in Moharram and this has nothing at all to do with Shias or Sunnis, and everything to do with the kind of tactics Alqaeda have used in Iraq and in Pakistan to try to cause sectarian conflict.

Better yet, does the government "Sanctify consistent indoctrination" against Sunnis? Because their mosques have been attacked on numerous occasions and by virtue of the population distribution of Pakistan, the greatest number of victims of the WoT have been Sunnis.

The bottom line is that the killers in all cases - of shias, sunnis, ahmedis, muslims, non muslims - are the same terrorists. They are neither shia, nor sunni, nor Ahmedi nor anything else, save blood thirsty lunatics. Trying to suggest that the Government somehow indirectly caused this attack on Ahmedis is not fair and completely inconsistent with how we know these terrorists to operate... they deliberately carry out sectarian attacks to cause the sort of tension that ends up with blame being directed in various directions, save the direction of the terrorists themselves. There are no shia, sunni, ahmedi, christian or hindu victims of terror. There are only innocent victims of terror.

I think the one example provided does at least show which direction he leans in - why after all use such an obviously derogatory and generalized quote in his book? As 'intelligent' as many of you claim he is, and the vetting process books go through before being published, the passage about Pakistanis could have been caught and removed at any time - yet it wasn't. In general it plays into the overall negative narrative against Pakistan in the US, a narrative IMO encouraged by the US establishment to denigrate Pakistan and Pakistanis lest it have to undertake military action against the State in the future.

"Vilification of Muslims in general and Pakistanis in particular" is why Techlahore opened this thread. I would expect a general pattern of Thomas Friedman vilifying Pakistanis. Now you are justifying your 'two thumbs wayyyy up' comment by saying that it shows the direction he leans in. That is not what the thread says. The bottom line is you cannot give any example of any pattern where he "Vilifies of Muslims in general and Pakistanis in particular". If you do not have proof spare me your spin.

This is off topic, and there are multiple other threads where this discussion has taken place.

As far as education goes, it is not of topic. Your educational curriculum is dangerous.

Then you see incorrectly. Were the attacks on Ahmadis the only attacks the Taliban had carried out there might be some validity to your claim, but the fact is that this may be in fact the first terrorist attack by the Taliban on the Ahmadis. The Taliban have also attacked non-Ahmadi mosques and civilian targets, both Sunni and Shia, multiple times before this incident. The 'Gun and Jihadi culture' also owes a lot more to the Afghan Jihad and the subsequent support for the Taliban then it does to anything else. Much of the cannon fodder for Jihad also came not from mainstream schools with government curriculum, but from Madrassa's, and continue to come from Madrassa's (the captured terrorist from the Ahmadi mosques attack studied in a Madrassa).

This is the standard response "the Taliban also attacked the Sunni" like it justifies the slaughter of the Ahmadis, or the Shias, or the Hazaras, or the Ishmailis. Jinnah wanted Pakistan to be an example of how wonderfully minorities would flourish under a Muslim majority rule, as opposed to a Hindu majority rule. What a joke!!!! You and Techlahore should claim yourselves as "apologists" for Pakistan's failures and "spin doctors" who would blame someone else.

While improvements in the curriculum are a positive move, and there are some distortions in it that the improvements should fix, the curriculum does not play this evil role in brainwashing students that is being implied here, otherwise most Pakistanis would be supporting terrorism, and polling from Pakistan over the years quite clearly indicates over 95% opposition to attacks on civilians and terrorism. I studied under that curriculum, as did many of my friends and relatives - most of them are pursuing higher education in the US, Europe, Australia or Pakistan. None of us ever talked about the 'issues' the studies point out in the curriculum, none of us remember specifically being taught 'Hindu, Ahmadi bad, bad, bad'.

Nice spin. Either overhaul your curriculum to show you are serious, but please spare me the window dressing "improvements". Either enshrine minority guarantees in your constitution, or admit your minorities are going to wither away because there is no place in the Sunni version of Islam for any one else.

Issues related to Ahmadi's are more of a social issue than a curriculum issue - the animosity towards the Ahmadis is inculcated at home and sometimes in mosques, not at school. My recollections of 'Ahmadi bashing' (and Shia bashing) are from interactions with family and friends, not from a teacher at school. And again, while changes in the curriculum are a positive move, what is more important is the need for a long term public dialog on these issues, on why discrimination and prejudice against any community on the basis of things like faith, color, ethnicity etc. is wrong and unconscionable - no amount of nice words about Ahmadis in the textbooks will change things unless Pakistanis engage in a dialog about how to deal with a communities with differences in faith. Much like it took a public dialog (an ongoing one) on race in the US, with some courage shown by government and the Courts, to move society firmly against racism, or at least make it publicly taboo.

Again "nice spin" you can preach on this pulpit about "wrong and unconscionable"all based on western ideals, give me on example across this entire world that minorities have thrived under Islam. Start by admitting the text books breed hate, then work to the laws to protect you minorities.

All I want is an answer to one question. Why is it that India with an equal number of (persecuted Muslims by your fellow Pakistani members) Muslims, not producing the innocent murdering monsters your country is ?

"Vilification of Muslims in general and Pakistanis in particular" is why Techlahore opened this thread. I would expect a general pattern of Thomas Friedman vilifying Pakistanis. Now you are justifying your 'two thumbs wayyyy up' comment by saying that it shows the direction he leans in. That is not what the thread says. The bottom line is you cannot give any example of any pattern where he "Vilifies of Muslims in general and Pakistanis in particular". If you do not have proof spare me your spin.

Yes, he vilifies muslims and Pakistanis in general. He takes every opportunity to do so. If you haven't read his books, I can't help you. Go look at his most recent book in which he spends a couple of chapters vilifying muslims. His argument is so logically erroneous that the only conclusion you can come to is that the man has an extreme bias against the aforementioned groups.

In his book, when he talks about Saudi Arabia's history and brings up the subject of Abdul Wahhab he conveniently "forgets" to mention who brought the Al-Saud clan to power, who threw the Sharif of Mecca's family across the fertile crescent, who armed and funded Al-Saud to take over Arabia... and this is all much before oil. He lies when he says that oil is how the US has unknowingly and indirectly supported Saudi Arabia. The west has been supporting the Al-Saud thugs since before there was any oil, and the US unfortunately is continuing the British policy of keeping highly unpopular leaders in place while arming and supporting them in other ways. Oil came much after these policies were already in place and were being acted upon.

When he talks about Saudi madrassas along the Afghan border, he assigns 100% of the blame to Wahhabi proselytizing, not once mentioning that the Saudis were *asked* and *encouraged* by the US to build these madrassas during the Afghan war. When he talks about the curriculum of these madrassas he again conveniently forgets that the CIA encouraged a curriculum focussed on indoctrination; all of this was done with CIA involvement, encouragement and full knowledge.

And let me now complete the circle for you. How did the Soviets enter Afghanistan? Go look up your former Sec of State's official admission that the US manipulated Afghan politics through covert programs to bait the Soviets in. They designed Afghanistan to be a "Bear Trap". The entry of the Soviets into Afghanistan was of America's doing.

So, in summary, America got the Soviets to enter Afghanistan by Zbiegniew's own admission. The CIA asked for Saudi funds to indoctrinate fighters, build madrassas and buy arms, then when the American objective was achieved, America bailed and refused to spend a single crooked penny on the welfare of the Afghans and the refugees in the tribal belt (4 million of them!!!!), and yet, this is all somehow the evil "mooslums' fault. Ok.

Now, Friedman knows all this. He chooses to filter out parts of reality that conflict with the convenient narrative of, "These mooslums bad, they dangerous, they wahhabi terrorist. We free people of west good, we noble and smart!". This is bull$hit. There are things awry with every society on earth. If I start funding 20 newspapers and encouraging 200 journalists to conduct an unending study of what is wrong with American society that causes children to shoot and kill fellow students in their own schools, in their own neighbourhoods, or what causes American University students to kill their teachers and friends on campus, I could make the American education system look like it was created by Macphisto himself.

If I wanted to take the Tom Friedman "anecdote" methodology to explain the roots of racism in the US, I could point to encyclopedias and world fact books that introduce other countries with the line " XYZ is a poor and impoverished country..." - perhaps that's why I was once told by a young and forthright student in a US elementary school, that based on what he learned in class, (a country not to be named) was a big pit which Americans stood around and threw food in for the natives to consume. That they were all naked in this pit and had nothing to do or look forward to until the Americans threw the food in... By the way, this actually happened and I was in complete shock when I heard a sweet 7 year old describe another country in these terms. Is it a shock then, that such inward looking people can vote George Bush to power and support wars and all sorts of other nonsense as long as it is outside the continental US?

I hope you get the point. The point is that Friedman is not only biased, he not only filters out elements of history that complete the picture, he actually abuses facts - citing them in part and leveraging half truths - to paint a picture which is, in the end, damaging for America. A picture that encourages Americans to paint a bullseye on an enemy - 1.5 billion muslims - that is NOT THERE. Muslims are NOT the enemy, and many of those who now consider themselves as such are a product of this vicious cycle which Friedman and people like him feed. This is destructive for the world.

How many muslims wanted to kill or harm Americans in 1948? It was the premier world power even then.

As far as education goes, it is not of topic. Your educational curriculum is dangerous.

I went to a Pakistani school that used the official government educational curriculum as prescribed by the largest text book board in the country, the Punjab text book board. I never encountered anything I would consider to be dangerous or dastardly. Of course, when there are historic accounts concerning Mohammad Bin Qasim etc. coming into India, the protagonist is Mohammad Bin Qasim, and not Raja Dahir. The reason for why he came is explained as the piracy of Arab trading ships heading to Ceylon by Raja Dahir and so on. But sir, show me a history book written anywhere in the world, that is able to completely isolate the background of the writer from the account. I don't consider this abnormal or dangerous. It is standard fare even in US history books (I took two US History classes in College).

There is not one sentence about going out and starting to randomly kill people in our official text books. I think what you are referring to as Pakistan's education system, is actually a small number (given their overall number, a small percentage) of Madrassas which are run by really right wing mullahs who share the Taliban/Alqaeda salafi approach to things. Quaid-e-Azam, the founder of our country, was the product of Sindh Madrassa, and there are some very large and progressive madrassas visibly operating in Pakistan today. It is the fringe of these Madrassas that have been taken over by salafis that are the issue, not Pakistan's education system.

I will add here, that my parents have been philanthropists for the last 30+ years and have been recognized nationally and internationally numerous times for their work in education with the poorest children in Pakistan; including children in kacchi abadis, villages, northern areas - all over. I have spent uncountable hours in government schools, schools made in mud buildings, madrassas in Punjab and so on. Believe me when I tell you, that Friedman's allegation in his book - slightly paraphrased because I don't have it handy right now - that, "[The Saudis] are thinking forward 30, 40 years to a time when these madrassas in Pakistan and Afghanistan will produce an army of jihadis that will take over a big part of the world for them" is complete nonsense.

As I explained previously, when you make an allegation like this and then conveniently hide the genesis of these Saudi Madrassas (i.e. cooperation with the CIA) and then paint the goal to be one of world domination - which is not borne out by the numbers - you essentially create hatred, fear and doubt and conveniently remove yourself from the equation as all but the potential victim and the innocent supporter of freedom and democracy with high morals and ethics. This is a laughably simplistic and - at the same time - twisted approach to current affairs.

This is the standard response "the Taliban also attacked the Sunni" like it justifies the slaughter of the Ahmadis, or the Shias, or the Hazaras, or the Ishmailis. Jinnah wanted Pakistan to be an example of how wonderfully minorities would flourish under a Muslim majority rule, as opposed to a Hindu majority rule. What a joke!!!! You and Techlahore should claim yourselves as "apologists" for Pakistan's failures and "spin doctors" who would blame someone else.

Even though you are getting personal, I'll let this go. You seem to be a well meaning person who doesn't really understand Pakistan or the dynamics at play in our country. You have obviously lapped up what you've read... and again... thanks to people like Friedman, the results are predictable.

The fact is that targeted killing at gatherings which are identifiable as those of a specific sect, is a well established and oft-used Al-qaeda strategy. They used this in Iraq and they tried it in Afghanistan. Now they are employing it in Pakistan. They thrive in chaos and they don't have the numbers to directly create large scale chaos. Therefore, they have to leverage infighting. Iraqis, to a large extent resisted this as will Pakistanis. You didn't see the Shias killed in Karachi during the Muharram procession carry out their own revenge attacks. And you didn't, because we *understand* what is going on. These Alqaeda ba$tards are trying to create schisms. And people who innocently fall into the trap and start scolding him, her, it and them for somehow indirectly being complicit in these killings are talking nonsense. How is an average sunni or average shia complicit in a planned Alqaeda terrorist operation?

BTW, taking the above logic further, do you then agree also that Israelis are responsible for all Alqaeda actions all over the world? After all, Alqaeda leaders have themselves said on tape that what motivates them and that the very raison d'etre of their organization is to free the Holy Places and fight Israeli oppression...

Let's not ride the emotional rollercoaster and come out the other side as jackasses please... there has to some sense of balance in one's perspectives.

Nice spin. Either overhaul your curriculum to show you are serious, but please spare me the window dressing "improvements". Either enshrine minority guarantees in your constitution, or admit your minorities are going to wither away because there is no place in the Sunni version of Islam for any one else.

If there were no place in Islam for "any one else" then you wouldn't have had a 1400 year history of muslims treating minorities on their lands better than any Christian state in the same period. I will refer you to "Were they good for the jews" which is written by a jewish author and is a complete historic study of how muslim and christian rulers - including heroic, iconic western leaders such as Charlemagne and Richard the Lionheart - treated minorities, vs. muslim treatment of the same. You seem to be so motivated to find a stick to beat us with, that you will ignore all of history to find just enough elbow room to jab us in the ribs? By the way, I am pointing to a significant historical period where Islam was possibly more entwined with affairs of state than it is today in most muslim countries. Your allegation that there is something wrong with "sunni islam" or islam itself, doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Please. Be a little more enlightened and balanced. The US constitution and its celebrated creators enshrined many freedoms which were interpreted in various different ways over time. Despite the constitution, the treatment that was meted out to African Americans is before you. Please understand that no minority group in Pakistan is treated as blacks in America as recently as the 50s and 60s were. There are no "Ahmedi" sections on buses, nor any "Sunni-only" restaurants. Yes, the President of Pakistan has to be a muslim, and yes, according to EVERY sect of Islam other than the Ahmedis themselves, their beliefs are not in accordance with the fundamental tenets of Islam and therefore they are not considered muslim. But that's about it. You have sikhs, hindus, christians in the armed forces, you have had hindu ministers, christian war heroes, you have today a Shia President, a Shia Prime Minister and a Shia Foreign Minister.

Did you know that by the way? For all the talk of minority rights in Pakistan, did you know that all three of the key political positions are occupied by Shias?

Again "nice spin" you can preach on this pulpit about "wrong and unconscionable"all based on western ideals, give me on example across this entire world that minorities have thrived under Islam. Start by admitting the text books breed hate, then work to the laws to protect you minorities.

Oh my dear Lord in Heaven!! You are so wrong that I don't even know where to start with you. Kind sir, please refer to the book I alluded to earlier. It is inexpensive and available at Amazon. The price is well worth the education you will receive from it.

All I want is an answer to one question. Why is it that India with an equal number of (persecuted Muslims by your fellow Pakistani members) Muslims, not producing the innocent murdering monsters your country is ?

Actually, this is an unpleasant question to answer because I don't want to make this an India vs. Pakistan thread. But again, for your own edification and education, I would ask you to look into the Darul Uloom Deoband, which is in UP, India, and is the fountainhead of the right wing Deobandi Islam that the Taliban pay allegiance to. Please also look into the number of organizations that the Indian government deems to be terrorist outfits, and count the number of local muslim terrorist organizations on the list. Don't forget to include Simi - the Indian muslim students terror organization - that has conducted several dozen bomb blasts in the largest cities of India. Again, I can go on and on and on, but I really want to stop because like I said, I do NOT want this to become an India vs. Pakistan thread.

But again, if most of his audience finds such vile comments 'plausible' does that not indicate a predisposition of his audience to racism and denigration and generalization of an entire peoples? Granted the US has precedent for this in terms of racism towards Blacks and to an extent Hispanics, but this is suppose to be a 'post-racial world'.

I would not call it so much as racism as stereotyping. Understand that most Westerners see this from far and question the reason behind direct or indirect involvement of Pakistani (citizens or of Paksitani orgin) in virtually every terrorist incident making headlines today. He simply offers an explanation that is theoratically possible and there is nothing commonly available that contradicts that.

I would not call it so much as racism as stereotyping. Understand that most Westerners see this from far and question the reason behind direct or indirect involvement of Pakistani (citizens or of Paksitani orgin) in virtually every terrorist incident making headlines today. He simply offers an explanation that is theoratically possible and there is nothing commonly available that contradicts that.

Sorry, but that doesn't fly, and you are backing off from your earlier comments that he provided something that his 'audience' was open to, i.e his audience was open to nonobjective racial/national vilification and denigration.

Any nonsensical explanation could be 'theoretically possible' - Friedman, scholar that he is, chooses to propagate a derogatory 'stereotype' based on absolutely no evidence or research, but merely an 'Indian friend's' anecdote.

And there is plenty available, and easily accessible that contradicts that, TL scratched the surface on that issue.

The issue isn't that information contrary to what Friedman said isn't available - quite obviously it is - the issue is that Friedman deliberately chose to publish unsubstantiated and racially/nationally derogatory comments on the basis of what? Once can only assume and agenda of vilification or a lack of intellectual capacity. Since you lot argue that he is 'intellectually capable', the only other explanation is the former.

Sorry, but that doesn't fly, and you are backing off from your earlier comments that he provided something that his 'audience' was open to, i.e his audience was open to nonobjective racial/national vilification and denigration.

Any nonsensical explanation could be 'theoretically possible' - Friedman, scholar that he is, chooses to propagate a derogatory 'stereotype' based on absolutely no evidence or research, but merely an 'Indian friend's' anecdote.

And there is plenty available, and easily accessible that contradicts that, TL scratched the surface on that issue.

The issue isn't that information contrary to what Friedman said isn't available - quite obviously it is - the issue is that Friedman deliberately chose to publish unsubstantiated and racially/nationally derogatory comments on the basis of what? Once can only assume and agenda of vilification or a lack of intellectual capacity. Since you lot argue that he is 'intellectually capable', the only other explanation is the former.

No I am not. You need to understand the difference between racism (linked to discrimination) and racial stereotyping. And yes. Anyone looking at it and not knowing the realities of the subcontinent will be open to any possible explanation even if it is based on that stereotyping. This is simply because for most Westerners, the only Pakistanis these days they hear of are the ones making news due to their linkages with terrorists. Hence the need for Pakistanis in news for other more positive reasons.

The information contradicting Friedman may be available but is not being pushed out to most Westerners and hence that is not available as readily to them

Back
Top Bottom