What's new

Setting Tom Friedman Straight: Exposing an agenda of vilification (against Pakistan)

^^ Not only are you wrong in your "handful of private schools" line of thinking, you have also missed the broader point. That Friedman's characterization of Pakistani children being conniving, killers-in-training is not just bull$hit, it is Nazi-esque in its inhumanity. There are no words to condemn this sort of hate mongering.

Now, coming to the other point you are wrong about: You may not know that Pakistan is home to the largest private school network in the world. We are not talking about a "handful" of private schools here. Just in one of the school systems I referenced - Beaconhouse - 165,000 students are presently enrolled. The City School, which I also referenced, has another 40,000 students enrolled. The Lahore Grammar School, with branches all over the country (Quetta, Faisalabad, Peshawar, Karachi, Lahore, Multan etc.) is not far behind. These numbers are not made up of children of the elite, but that of the middle class. In fact, each of these schools has an inexpensive network of branches integrated within the overall system for the children from the lower middle class.

Beaconhouse School System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of these children do you think go abroad? An infinitesimal number. This is a reality which rubbishes your rhetorical 'beeline for moving abroad' nonsense.

Even in institutions of higher learning today, the vast, vast majority of students being produced at places such as FAST ICS, NUST, GIK Institute and LUMS etc. are staying back in Pakistan. An overwhelming number of the girls leaving LGS (Lahore Grammar School) are pursuing higher education in Pakistan. These are the same girls that, far from dreaming of killing their neighbours ala Friedman's sick fantasy, repeatedly qualify for and win the NASA world science championships in Houston. After winning last year and being in the final few the year before, they have qualified again this year!

And higher ratios of Aitchisonians - a product of Aitchison College, an unabashedly elite institution for 125 years - are staying on in Pakistan. These are children of parents who could easily obtain the "for-sale" version of the green card overnight, which you get when you invest $1M in the US... and yet they choose to now stay away from the US, much less make your imagined beeline! The numbers of Pakistani students from all social backgrounds going to the US have diminished drastically. These are facts that I see on the ground. No amount of Google searching for bull$hit statistics takes away from an on-the-ground reality.

"No amount of Google searching for bull$hit statistics takes away from an on-the-ground reality" - Oh, in the conspiracy theories doing the rounds in Pakistan is Google in cahoots with RAW, Mossad and the CIA?

The truth is somewhere is between - neither is it as bleak as Friedman points it out to be nor is the picture as rosy as you make it out to be. The madrassahs in Pakistan spawned to make up for lack of an educational network.

Setting Tom Friedman Straight: Exposing an agenda of vilification
May.30, 2010 in Law and Policy, Living in Pakistan, Politics and Society Leave a Comment

Setting Tom Friedman Straight: Exposing an agenda of vilification | TechLahore

Tom Friedman misses no opportunity to vilify muslims, Pakistanis and the middle east. He's at it again... (Image credit: Amazon.com)
I get it. There are neocons and then there are neocons. The first reference would be to the easy to identify variety; those of the Perle and Cheney ilk. Folks that don’t bother to pretend or cover their tracks. They shoot first and ask questions later. But then there’s the more insidious, surreptitious genus of war-mongers who operate in the garb of enlightened intellectuals. These camouflaged operators are much the same on the inside but appear overtly thrilled at the prospect of the “flattening” of the world, of the developing nations coming into their own and also appear concerned with the Green revolution. Tom Friedman epitomizes this second category.

What does that have to do with us, you ask? And with entrepreneurs and technologists in Pakistan? Everything. People like Tom Friedman are pursuing an agenda of deliberate vilification and misinformation about the the muslim world in general, and Pakistan in particular. These cloak and dagger operators who masquerade as journalists and intellectuals must be answered by our pens. They must be exposed and the damage they have caused must be mitigated and reversed; damage, not only to us in this part of the world, but also to their own people, who they continue to mislead and fool, calling in the proverbial airstrike upon a mirage in the desert. They are making up an enemy that doesn’t exist, and in doing so, are filling the minds of Americans exposed to their writings in dying outlets such as the NYT, with hatred and mistrust of one fourth of humanity.

[Continued at TechLahore - click here]
why do you think he is doing this? why do you think he even cares for Pak?

I just want to know why these authors want to paint Pakistan as a big bad guy! What is the profit? Oil/Gas/strategic Location? I think for the Afghan Operations, Pakistan is a big help and there is no point in painting your ally in a bad way! Is there a Zionist/Raw/Conspiracy to capture the so called Big Bumm( u know what I mean here)!? IF that were the case, why dint they conspire when the US allegedly knew about the possible testing( as testified by NawaZ, that B Clinton offered a Carrot/stick )

What is it that PAkistanis think they have, which makes them feel that the whole western world is conspiring against them! Especially influential writers like T Friedman.

For years we in India were irritated by stories in the western media which showed naked sadhus,snake charmers, elephants & cows on the road. Why, we asked, can't they see all the nice things that we saw? We suffered numerous such stories for decades. When the first stories on India IT sector came, they were usually accompanied by incredulous voices along with the mandatory photo of the cow in front of an IT centre. Over the last 10 years, the stories have slowly moved to accomodate "our reality". These days most stories are about India's promise accompanied with an occasional resentful voice but mainly laudatory. The Elephants, the snake charmer,the cows, the naked sadhus are all still there to be found if you want them but they are not the most compelling story coming out of India anymore. There are numerous other stories that have begun to take their place.

What is the compelling story coming out of Pakistan? Out of Lahore these days? It's not about Pakistan's future promise as you possibly see it, it's about Pakistan's present as the world sees it and the present paints an extremely unflattering picture.. As Pakistanis you might want to search & bring out the nicer stories, the world as we in India realised earlier is under no such obligation.

Thomas Friedman is not the only writer who sees Pakistan that way, if that were the case you would have no cause for concern. How many writers are you going to dismiss as neocons, as purveyors of Indian propaganda and the like? You need to first look inside and clean up your act. Hiring a PR manager won't get you far if the underlying edifice is hollow & essentially non existent or cracking badly internally. The "Elephant" in the room cannot be wished away, no matter how hard you try.

P.S.: I cringe at comments of Riaz Haq and some Chinese members when they talk about lack of toilets in India but the solution to the issue in the end is building more toilets, not hiring a PR Manager. Pakistan has its own "toilet" problem and unless you clear up your mess, all you will ever end up doing is 'pissing into the wind'.

I just want to know why these authors want to paint Pakistan as a big bad guy! What is the profit? Oil/Gas/strategic Location? I think for the Afghan Operations, Pakistan is a big help and there is no point in painting your ally in a bad way! Is there a Zionist/Raw/Conspiracy to capture the so called Big Bumm( u know what I mean here)!? IF that were the case, why dint they conspire when the US allegedly knew about the possible testing( as testified by NawaZ, that B Clinton offered a Carrot/stick )

What is it that PAkistanis think they have, which makes them feel that the whole western world is conspiring against them! Especially influential writers like T Friedman.
That is the big question isn't it? What makes people like Friedman spew such vile hatemongering drivel, that borders on racism?

For years we in India were irritated by stories in the western media which showed naked sadhus,snake charmers, elephants & cows on the road. Why, we asked, can't they see all the nice things that we saw? We suffered numerous such stories for decades. When the first stories on India IT sector came, they were usually accompanied by incredulous voices along with the mandatory photo of the cow in front of an IT centre. Over the last 10 years, the stories have slowly moved to accomodate "our reality". These days most stories are about India's promise accompanied with an occasional resentful voice but mainly laudatory. The Elephants, the snake charmer,the cows, the naked sadhus are all still there to be found if you want them but they are not the most compelling story coming out of India anymore. There are numerous other stories that have begun to take their place.

What is the compelling story coming out of Pakistan? Out of Lahore these days? It's not about Pakistan's future promise as you possibly see it, it's about Pakistan's present as the world sees it and the present paints an extremely unflattering picture.. As Pakistanis you might want to search & bring out the nicer stories, the world as we in India realised earlier is under no such obligation.

Thomas Friedman is not the only writer who sees Pakistan that way, if that were the case you would have no cause for concern. How many writers are you going to dismiss as neocons, as purveyors of Indian propaganda and the like? You need to first look inside and clean up your act. Hiring a PR manager won't get you far if the underlying edifice is hollow & essentially non existent or cracking badly internally. The "Elephant" in the room cannot be wished away, no matter how hard you try.
Contrasting development, progress and prosperity in developing nations with grinding poverty, old traditions and lack of opportunity for those left behind is pretty much par for the course, and continues to this day in Western reporting on India, Pakistan and other developing nations (see the recent NPR series on the Grand Trunk Road in India and Pakistan).

This type of reporting is really not an issue, and as much as it may rankle to hear about slums and lack of basic infrastructure for millions, it is the truth.

What is being discussed here, in terms of Friedman's comments about Pakistani youth, is the attribution of a hateful and inferior mindset to a large majority of Pakistanis - this is, as I pointed out, akin to racism. Friedman quotes no studies, or evidence or objective analysis to back up such a poisonous claim, he merely attributes it to an 'Indian friend'. This obviously reflects very poorly on his 'Indian friend', but it also reflects very poorly on Friedman, that he would include poison like this, based on nothing but an anecdote by a 'friend'. in his book, which was going to be widely read and possibly influence a large number of people.

As for how many writers we are going to dismiss, as many writers that resort to this sort of nonobjective, unsubstantiated and racist poison. So long as the material being put out by these writers is drivel, they will be called out on it.

^^ Agno

I think the point being made by BG is that the writers write what conforms to the majority perception in the world. Helps the piece sell if most of the the audience can relate it with the beliefs held by them. Like it was with India as the land of snake charmers and rope tricks. The snake charmers and rope tricks are still there and in the same quantity, but there are other positive stories about India that the world audience is able to identify with. Its like making a line smaller by drawing a bigger one next to it. (@ WJ ;))

At this time the most compelling story from Pakistan unfortunately is about Taliban, NWFP and terrorism. This will subside over a period of time if PA succeeds in its war in South and NorthWaziristan. However to speed that perception change, you will need a more convincing positive story to outshine the one about terrorism

Even the picture of India has changed mainly in the Anglophile world - countries on Continental Europe, China, South America still retain the "snake charmer" mindset and all the economic progress has done little to alter that world view. I believe this is so for 2 reasons -

1. Tourism - While tourists continue to pour into India, they come from UK, Aus, USA, NZ, Israel as opposed to Latin America or Continental Europe (in sheer numbers)

2. Business Relations - Indians are more likely to work with companies in the Anglosphere than anywhere else.

I guess with economic prosperity and more business relations this view of Pakistan as Jehad Inc. will change too.

I remember when I first staring using the Internet and chatted with someone in the US (this was in 1995/6) - I was asked - "You have computers in India?" - In 2005 I was at an airport cafe in Sweden and an American walked upto me and said, "Are you Indian?" On my affirmative reply she asked, "I don't want to sound stereotypical but can you fix my computer?" - And I was like - damn - what a change of a nation's image in 10 years.

I don't know about his bias against Pakistan, but I find his articles and books to be interesting and informative at the same time. What some people term as generalization is in many cases simplification, IMO. It helps the author to get through to the reader easily. I think of him as one of the best non-fiction authors. Plus, he likes India ;)

The disappointing thing is that you appear not to have read my post before responding to it. Please look at the last two paragraphs. What am I asking Pakistanis and other friends to do, if not "bring out nicer stories".

And I am not just talking the talk, I live it everyday. Not merely on this forum, on my blog or in newspapers. Making sure that Pakistan prospers is the purpose of my life and I am one of millions.

We accept that the West has a media monopoly and can present any view over and over until it becomes accepted as fact. That is the power of the media. There are hundreds of positive stories coming out of Pakistan every day - I just alluded to a few like the LGS girls winning the NASA competition - in my post. What we lack is a loud speaker as big as say, the NYT. In Fenruary 2007 I was entertaining two American business men who were visiting our IT firm in Lahore. It was kite flying season and I took them to a Haveli in the Old City to enjoy Basant passion first-hand. They thoroughly enjoyed themselves, shouted "Bo kataaa" and danced to the music. At the end of all this, when we were in the car heading back to the hotel one of them turned around and said to me, "You know, this has to be the biggest party in the world. There's 10 million people out here flying kites together. I can't believe I've never heard of this before. This is a *big* deal!". I'll never forget that. Four people being killed in a shooting on the Afghan border will make it to the front page of CNN, but 10 million people out celebrating in the "World's biggest party" will not.

With muslim media outlets like Al Jazeera gaining steam and Pakistan's own media companies finding tremendous regional and local success, it is only a matter of time before the developing world, and the muslim world, and Pakistan; those who have been wronged by the western media monopoly, get their "loud speakers".

To give you an example, it is said that one of the five richest men in Pakistan these days is the owner of the Jang/The News/Geo TV group. He is reportedly a multi-billionaire. This group is quickly getting to the point where they will be able to buy foreign media companies - just as another Pakistani Billionaire, Mian Mansha, has started buying foreign banks in other countries. When this sort of local success creates wealth which is used to invest in further expansion, you end up with MNCs. It is these media MNCs owned by Pakistanis - or at least entrepreneurs from friendly countries like Turkey or the Gulf States - that are one step away from fruition. Give it a few years, it will happen. And when it does, we will have our loud speaker. Expect us to turn the volume to "high".

In general, I have a lot of faith in Pakistan and its people. We ultimately pull through. So it isn't daunting to me that there are many poisonous creatures in the bog, ala Friedman. We need to keep fighting the good fight and there is no power on earth that can prevent us from achieving even the impossible.

^^ Agno

I think the point being made by BG is that the writers write what conforms to the majority perception in the world. Helps the piece sell if most of the the audience can relate it with the beliefs held by them.

So based on Friedman's poisonous little anecdote, the majority of the world is racist, and his vile comments are meant to appeal to and satisfy that racism/xenophobia?
Like it was with India as the land of snake charmers and rope tricks. The snake charmers and rope tricks are still there and in the same quantity, but there are other positive stories about India that the world audience is able to identify with. Its like making a line smaller by drawing a bigger one next to it. (@ WJ ;))
Tech addressed the issue of 'positive news vs negative news' very well in his post, but as I pointed out to Bangalore, Friedman's comments are not just about harping on the terrorist menace, but essentially publishing a vicious, racist lie based on an 'anecdote by an Indian friend', that seeks to vilify and denigrate a large majority of Pakistanis.

The disappointing thing is that you appear not to have read my post before responding to it. Please look at the last two paragraphs. What am I asking Pakistanis and other friends to do, if not "bring out nicer stories".

And I am not just talking the talk, I live it everyday. Not merely on this forum, on my blog or in newspapers. Making sure that Pakistan prospers is the purpose of my life and I am one of millions.

It's not about you & fellow Pakistanis bringing out the "nicer" stories, it's whether they can overcome the "not so nice" stories coming out of Pakistan. My guess is that it will take some time for the world to be receptive to "feel good" stories coming out of Pakistan.

I have little doubt about your passion & zeal to see Pakistan prosper. If you recall, one of my first PM's was to you saying how much I appreciate your passion for a better Pakistan. Unfortunately there are enough Pakistanis who don't share in your idea of Pakistan and their actions ring louder.
I was entertaining two American business men who were visiting our IT firm in Lahore. It was kite flying season and I took them to a Haveli in the Old City to enjoy Basant passion first-hand. They thoroughly enjoyed themselves, shouted "Bo kataaa" and danced to the music. At the end of all this, when we were in the car heading back to the hotel one of them turned around and said to me, "You know, this has to be the biggest party in the world. There's 10 million people out here flying kites together. I can't believe I've never heard of this before. This is a *big* deal!". I'll never forget that. Four people being killed in a shooting on the Afghan border will make it to the front page of CNN, but 10 million people out celebrating in the "World's biggest party" will not.

Yeah & where is the party now? Shut down by your courts & routinely criticised by religious bigots as being a "Hindu" festival. What will you tell your American friends now? What image will they take back of Pakistan if they were to come there now? What are you guys in the news for? Ban on FB & youtube? You guys unfortunately are your own worst enemies.

BTW, you have taken Thomas Friedman's quote out of context. He was speaking about how democratic & secular countries offer opportunities for its citizens to advance. The quote you refer to is attributed to an Indian Muslim whose family was divided at the time of partition & whose Indian side were supposedly doing better than those who went to Pakistan. It was a comparison between members of a particular family in India & Pakistan. It was just an anecdote in support of democratic & secular rule . I see that you left out the "Muslim" bit in his "Indian friend" and made it sound like a general comparison between Indians & Pakistanis.

With muslim media outlets like Al Jazeera gaining steam and Pakistan's own media companies finding tremendous regional and local success, it is only a matter of time before the developing world, and the muslim world, and Pakistan; those who have been wronged by the western media monopoly, get their "loud speakers".

To give you an example, it is said that one of the five richest men in Pakistan these days is the owner of the Jang/The News/Geo TV group. He is reportedly a multi-billionaire. This group is quickly getting to the point where they will be able to buy foreign media companies - just as another Pakistani Billionaire, Mian Mansha, has started buying foreign banks in other countries. When this sort of local success creates wealth which is used to invest in further expansion, you end up with MNCs. It is these media MNCs owned by Pakistanis - or at least entrepreneurs from friendly countries like Turkey or the Gulf States - that are one step away from fruition. Give it a few years, it will happen. And when it does, we will have our loud speaker. Expect us to turn the volume to "high".

You worry too much about replacing the imagery and not enough with changing the situation on the ground. As I said before, there is a time for PR but it cannot be all gobbel speak.

In general, I have a lot of faith in Pakistan and its people. We ultimately pull through. So it isn't daunting to me that there are many poisonous creatures in the bog, ala Friedman. We need to keep fighting the good fight and there is no power on earth that can prevent us from achieving even the impossible.

I wish you the very best & hope that you succeed for the benefit of all of us.:tup:

My guess is that it will take some time for the world to be receptive to "feel good" stories coming out of Pakistan.

That's ok. There is something particularly hopeful about knowing the inevitability of a happy day while you're waiting and working towards it.

Unfortunately there are enough Pakistanis who don't share in your idea of Pakistan and their actions ring louder.

There are very few; their actions are put through the media amplifier, though... and we come full circle back to the media discussion.

Yeah & where is the party now? Shut down by your courts & routinely criticised by religious bigots as being a "Hindu" festival. What will you tell your American friends now? What image will they take back of Pakistan if they were to come there now? What are you guys in the news for? Ban on FB & youtube? You guys unfortunately are your own worst enemies.

Please don't misreport things. There has always been the JI types who have complained about Basant being a hindu festival. That has never ever caused any issue with 99.9% of people celebrating it. The issue that caused the ban on activities *within the densely populated areas of Lahore* was the repeated use of steel string that caused multiple fatalaties. That was why the Punjab Government banned Basant in metro areas. It is still celebrated and there are numerous parties just outside Lahore every year. I know because I'm there. Kites in hand.

Banning FB and Youtube; Bangladesh also did it, UAE also banned numerous FB URLs - heck, in the best of times, the UAE bans tens of thousands of URLs. Did you see equivalent media coverage about those bans?

BTW, you have taken Thomas Friedman's quote out of context. He was speaking about how democratic & secular countries offer opportunities for its citizens to advance. The quote you refer to is attributed to an Indian Muslim whose family was divided at the time of partition & whose Indian side were supposedly doing better than those who went to Pakistan. It was a comparison between members of a particular family in India & Pakistan. It was just an anecdote in support of democratic & secular rule . I see that you left out the "Muslim" bit in his "Indian friend" and made it sound like a general comparison between Indians & Pakistanis.

I am utterly confused. Are you defending the inclusion of this quote? I don't see how I represented it as anything other than what it is. I am also thoroughly amused that many Indian members took offence to a headline where I reported a "muslim indian" as having donated his wealth to charity. "Don't call him muslim... irrelevant", was the chant back then. And now you want me to label this guy a muslim? I see how it works...

Anyway, whether he was muslim or hindu is beside the point. The point is a) it is an anecdote that Friedman uses to malign all of Pakistan b) it is logically inaccurate to say that it is being used to support democratic rule because Friedman is quite taken in by China; when were the last popular democratic elections held there? and c) God only knows how the comment was made or whether it was made, I was specifically alluding to Friedman's, anecdotes-to-generalizations style which is logically flawed and used typically to make damning arguments unsupported by statistics or reality. How many young children in Pakistan have killed their rich neighbours and taken over their wealth? This is a demonic characterization and speaks to the kind of attitude Friedman has towards Pakistan and Pakistanis. It is sick and indefensible. Nothing you have said above changes this conclusion in even the slightest bit. I think it is quite sad actually, to see you defend such trash.

You worry too much about replacing the imagery and not enough with changing the situation on the ground. As I said before, there is a time for PR but it cannot be all gobbel speak.

What? How do you know whether or not I play my part in changing the situation "on the ground". I am not interested in PR. I am interested in the truth. As long as people lie, there should be someone who looks them in the eye and calls them on it. It doesn't matter whether the liar is an adult and the person telling the truth is a child. It doesn't matter if liars are many and the person telling the truth is alone. What is it they say about the truth setting you free...

As for the situation "on the ground", I think I've addressed this every which way to Sunday. There are countless positive things happening in Pakistan on a daily basis. And not insignificant ones either. All of these make a tangible positive difference to the lives of the citizenry. Just one recent development which has changed the face of Lahore indescribably has been the multi-billion, multi-year Ring Road highway project which is around 120KM of 6 lane highways and associated road networks circling the city. It is unlike anything else in South Asia and makes it an absolute pleasure to commute. It used to take me 20-25 minutes to get to the airport from where I live. It now takes me about 7. You see stories about Dams and infrastructure projects, heck even about the opening of bridges in other countries in the international media all the time. When did you last read about the Ring Road on CNN? Or about Lahore's fabulous Horse Show? Or about the growth and international expansion of any of dozens of Pakistani businesses?

I wish you the very best & hope that you succeed for the benefit of all of us.:tup:

Thanks. My success is immaterial, but Pakistan's success is guaranteed.

I am utterly confused. Are you defending the inclusion of this quote? I don't see how I represented it as anything other than what it is. I am also thoroughly amused that many Indian members took offence to a headline where I reported a "muslim indian" as having donated his wealth to charity. "Don't call him muslim... irrelevant", was the chant back then. And now you want me to label this guy a muslim? I see how it works...

Deliberate misconstruing of my post to score a cheap point? I expected better. The objection to your reference to Premji as Muslim while not opposed by me had the point that his religion had nothing to do with the subject under discussion, it is however germane in the quote used by Friedman. Friedman as I am sure you have read was referring to a generalised absence of the participation of Indian Muslims in terror strikes against the west. Therefore the reference to religion has a context whether you agree with him or not. I am not labeling anyone "muslim" to score a point and I am beginning to see "how it works" with you. A very unnecessary attempt at a cheap shot.

Banning FB and Youtube; Bangladesh also did it, UAE also banned numerous FB URLs - heck, in the best of times, the UAE bans tens of thousands of URLs. Did you see equivalent media coverage about those bans?

And that is the company that you want to keep?

There are very few; their actions are put through the media amplifier, though... and we come full circle back to the media discussion.

Unfortunately not. It is not just the actions of a few, it's the support that organs of the state have given them. Many Pakistanis talk about the WoT as having started when the Americans came into Afghanistan. Was it okay when terrorists were using Pakistani soil to plan & execute operations against other countries just as long as they didn't do operations within Pakistan? A lot of people take perverse pleasure in showing the middle finger to India with regard to the case against Hafiz Saeed. This has to do with the belief that LeT & JuD are organisations that don't operate internally against the Pakistani state & are committed to attacking only India. Other than the fact that these organisations have attempted to attack western targets(Headley-Denmark), the thinking is incredibly naive. Even if the leadership actually made that distinction, do you really think the foot soldiers care or are so disciplined as to follow that? How do you know that they would not join the Punjabi Taliban or whatever else is the flavour of the month and not conduct actions within Pakistan? How do you know that they have not done so already? When Pakistan starts to crack down on all terrorism, you could claim a start at a new beginning. Untill then, I am afraid that the ring road would only be covered in the event of a terrorist strike occurring along it.

As for the situation "on the ground", I think I've addressed this every which way to Sunday. There are countless positive things happening in Pakistan on a daily basis. And not insignificant ones either. All of these make a tangible positive difference to the lives of the citizenry. Just one recent development which has changed the face of Lahore indescribably has been the multi-billion, multi-year Ring Road highway project which is around 120KM of 6 lane highways and associated road networks circling the city. It is unlike anything else in South Asia and makes it an absolute pleasure to commute. It used to take me 20-25 minutes to get to the airport from where I live. It now takes me about 7. You see stories about Dams and infrastructure projects, heck even about the opening of bridges in other countries in the international media all the time. When did you last read about the Ring Road on CNN? Or about Lahore's fabulous Horse Show? Or about the growth and international expansion of any of dozens of Pakistani businesses?

It is possible that there are great big roads in North Korea & I know of atleast one in Zimbabwe. Do you think we will hear of them anytime soon? Your love for Pakistan is blinding you from seeing what the rest of the world does. Two threads on this forum are a reflection on the turmoil within. One referring to the attack on the Ahmedis in Lahore & the second, Israel's attack on the ship carrying aid. Every Pakistani member was quick & unanimous in condemning the Israeli action refusing to give Israeli actions the benefit of a single sliver of doubt. The same people however spent days discussing whether Ahmedis are muslims or whether the prayer hall could be called a mosque when those who died in Lahore were your fellow countrymen. Quite a few went after the "liberals" calling them all sort of names and all this from people who have had the benefit of access to education..
You Sir, have a bigger problem than you are willing to admit.

Last edited:
Deliberate misconstruing of my post to score a cheap point? I expected better. The objection to your reference to Premji as Muslim while not opposed by me had the point that his religion had nothing to do with the subject under discussion, it is however germane in the quote used by Friedman. Friedman as I am sure you have read was referring to a generalised absence of the participation of Indian Muslims in terror strikes against the west. Therefore the reference to religion has a context whether you agree with him or not. I am not labeling anyone "muslim" to score a point and I am beginning to see "how it works" with you. A very unnecessary attempt at a cheap shot.
Whether the comparison was between 'Indian Muslims' or 'Indian Hindus' and Pakistanis, the comparison itself remains a derogatory and unsubstantiated, generalization meant to vilify a large majority of Pakistanis.

Its like arguing that saying something derogatory about Blacks is alright because 'I have a Black friend and he agrees with me and therefore I am not racist'.

The 'cheap shot' here was entirely Friedman's, and that you choose to justify it by coming up with convoluted excuses about 'what he actually meant' reflects very poorly upon you and some of the other Indians who have shown support for his racist comments on this thread. Of course this Indian attitude of supporting morally indefensible positions is beginning to appear 'par for the course' given the vocal support for the most recent Israeli atrocities against unarmed civilian aid workers in international waters..
And that is the company that you want to keep?
Just pointing out the discrepancy in coverage when it comes to Pakistan - and then hatemongers like Sadanand Dhume will latch on to Pakistan's actions specifically, ignoring the rest of the Muslim world, to paint solely Pakistan as having some sort of issue,

Unfortunately not. It is not just the actions of a few, it's the support that organs of the state have given them. Many Pakistanis talk about the WoT as having started when the Americans came into Afghanistan.
It did start when the Americans came into Afghanistan. The Taliban were not involved in terrorist attacks till that point, and it was the flawed US operation in uprooting the Taliban and allowing them to escape into Pakistan that ended up creating a problem in the Pakistan tribal belt as well.

The Pakistani State and its organs never supported terrorist groups or terrorism, and there remains no evidence to support that ludicrous contention.
Was it okay when terrorists were using Pakistani soil to plan & execute operations against other countries just as long as they didn't do operations within Pakistan?

Strawman, not to mention a blatant attempt to hijack the thread by dragging the discussion into terrorism and the same old 'Pakistan support for terrorism argument' - no one has argued that 'it was OK for terrorists to plan and execute operations against other nations from Pakistani soil'. The GoP acted as much as it could within the constraints it faced to address concerns by the US, as well as India, but given the plethora of terrorist attacks against Pakistan in a matter of two years, that far outnumber the attacks in the West or India, it is obvious that the State cannot prevent every attack, and work against terrorist organizations is a long term process.

A lot of people take perverse pleasure in showing the middle finger to India with regard to the case against Hafiz Saeed. This has to do with the belief that LeT & JuD are organisations that don't operate internally against the Pakistani state & are committed to attacking only India.
There is no 'perverse pleaseure' in pointing out the fact that there is no evidence against the JuD and Hafiz Saeed, at this point, implicating him in the Mumbai attacks or terrorism. Now you may wish to distort the issue whichever way you like to vent your dismay over the verdict not going India's way, but the fact remains that there was no evidence to convict.
Other than the fact that these organisations have attempted to attack western targets(Headley-Denmark), the thinking is incredibly naive. Even if the leadership actually made that distinction, do you really think the foot soldiers care or are so disciplined as to follow that? How do you know that they would not join the Punjabi Taliban or whatever else is the flavour of the month and not conduct actions within Pakistan? How do you know that they have not done so already? When Pakistan starts to crack down on all terrorism, you could claim a start at a new beginning. Untill then, I am afraid that the ring road would only be covered in the event of a terrorist strike occurring along it.
Another strawman!

What thinking is naive? So far it has been basically you going on an off topic rant over one line posted by TL, that these individuals are an extremely small minority. You haven't in any way shown how TL's point was incorrect, not have you in any way been able to justify Friedman's racist comment.

It is possible that there are great big roads in North Korea & I know of atleast one in Zimbabwe. Do you think we will hear of them anytime soon? Your love for Pakistan is blinding you from seeing what the rest of the world does. Two threads on this forum are a reflection on the turmoil within. One, the attack on the Ahmedis in Lahore & the second, Israel's attack on the ship carrying aid. Every Pakistani member was quick & unanimous in condemning the Israeli action refusing to give Israeli actions the benefit of a single sliver of doubt. The same people however spent days discussing whether Ahmedis are muslims or whether the prayer hall could be called a mosque and those who died in Lahore were your fellow countrymen. Quite a few went after the "liberals" calling them all sort of names.
You,Sir, have a bigger problem than you are willing to admit.
But the Pakistan is neither North Korea nor Zimbabwe, so your analogy makes no sensed, though it does reflect the extent of misinformation and the limitations of Indian views on Pakistan that you would have to stoop to such a comparison.

The thread on Ahmedis went the direction it did because the theological issue is an emotional one, not because those (most of them at least) raising issues related to the nomenclature used and the status of Ahmedis condoned the violence against them. No one (aside from one or maybe two Taliban sympathisers) gave them the attackers of the Ahmadi mosques 'the benefit of the doubt'. The terrorism was condemned, but religious emotion over the theological issue took center stage, admittedly through a decision by yours truly to take a provocative stance in changing the title of the thread.

The problem related to the status of Ahmadis is a large one, but it is also a problem distinct from the issue of terrorism and the efforts needed to crackdown on it.

But since we are talking about 'poisonous mindsets', let me remind you of the comments by Indians on some of the largest mainstream Indian media outlets such as the Times of India and Hindustan Times - blatant reveling in the deaths of innocents, and the violence in Pakistan, by hundreds of posters. And not just in this case, but almost in every instance of a major terrorist attack in Pakistan the response by Indians on major Indian outlets and forums, and even in the comments sections of Western media outlets such as the WaPO, NYT and WSJ, has been identical.

I know that the HT and ToI screen comments before posting them, since I have posted a couple here and there, and yet such vile bile from Indian posters is allowed to be posted on their websites. Says a lot about the editorial mindset in mainstream Indian media as well.

Back
Top Bottom