What's new

Sea Trials of INS Vikramaditya Can Be Postponed

sudhir007

Reaction score
Sea Trials of INS Vikramaditya Can Be Postponed

Scheduled on May 25, first sortie of aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya build by Russia for Indian Navy may not be held, a source in defense industry told Central Navy Portal.

Dockside repair and modernization of Indian aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya under Project 11430 is coming to its end. In accordance with schedule agreed upon with the client, on May 25 the ship is supposed to unberth the Sevmash shipyard's outfitting quay for the first time and take the sea for trials. Currently, the shipwrights are working day and night preparing the ship in order to start sea trials in time.

Central Navy Portal found out that the date of the carrier's first sea-taking may be postponed due to staff changes in Russian Navy command, the need for replacements in governmental commission and some other reasons. According to a source in defense industry, "a time delay is possible, about one week". Therefore, approved and repeatedly named date of May 25 may be postponed for indefinite period.

According to a source in defense industry, "a time delay is possible, about one week". Therefore, approved and repeatedly named date of May 25 may be postponed for indefinite period.
Confused, what does that mean? :confused: :angry: Now I have doubt about handing over the carrier before 4th December.

jab tak humary babus pura Russia nahi ghoom lenge best vodka best hotel main nahi ruk lenge, till then do not expect INS Vikramaditya to be inducted. Its my guarantee

Confused, what does that mean? :confused: :angry: Now I have doubt about handing over the carrier before 4th December.
It wasn't supposed to handed over to India on 4th Dec :(
It will be commissioned on 4th Dec and remaining trials and tests will be done in Russia itself. It was supposed to handover to Indian Navy in first or second quarter of 2013. So it will be definately second quarter and not the first quarter of 2013

I think that one week they are talking about is the Russuain Naval staff replacement and after they come, decision on Viks will depend on them putting a indefinite timeline for the shipyard.

The ship being delivered over budget and behind schedule is nothing new.

Right now the biggest threat for India is emanating from the Tibetan border and not the oceans.

That's why the delays don't hurt India too much right now. The MIGs for this carrier are being operated from land and can still protect India's maritime borders at the moment.

000cw2hf

Right now the biggest threat for India is emanating from the Tibetan border and not the oceans.

Actually, the "threat" from Tibet is only one arena. The carrier is a very important factor.

That's why the delays don't hurt India too much right now. The MIGs for this carrier are being operated from land and can still protect India's maritime borders at the moment.

But the power projection, capacity to set up naval blockades, and area denial in the far eastern reaches of India, which the carriers allow us to do, are currently very limited. The MiGs do not have the range for it without carriers. Every delay with the Vikramaditya hurts the IN, both militarily and financially.

We need some attention on Tibetan border, correct, but the carrier is not any less. It will reduce the threat emanating from the Tibetan border. It can take war away from Indian mainland.

It wasn't supposed to handed over to India on 4th Dec :(
It will be commissioned on 4th Dec and remaining trials and tests will be done in Russia itself. It was supposed to handover to Indian Navy in first or second quarter of 2013. So it will be definately second quarter and not the first quarter of 2013

Thanks for the info. I thought the handing over means final commissioning.

I think that one week they are talking about is the Russuain Naval staff replacement and after they come, decision on Viks will depend on them putting a indefinite timeline for the shipyard.

Russia giving highest priority to Vik now. The unberthing ceremony supposed to be attended by the Russian President. So I think it will not any great delay. Previous president Medvedev personally committed to it.

Back
Top Bottom