What's new

Russia Is Willing 2 Sell Fighter Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should avoids Russian stuff...China is a better option

It depends, but i am sure if we want to increase ties with Russia again in military terms. We will start from the helicopter gunships then --- fighter planes.

I agree with you here. I don't think we'll get Russian aircrafts in near future, so best senario is that we take Ukranian SU-27 with mlu from Russia and some avionics from EU, specially france. The aircraft will be afforadble and lethal.
If agreed, it will be a great start for Pak-Russian friendship but alliance is not in the making for a very very long time.

PAF is in urgent need of modernisation and lacks a 4th gen aircraft, SU-27 will boost our capabilities.

As far Mig-29OVT is concerned, its very unlikely that Russia will offer it to Pakistan as it will directly encounter Indian SU-30MKI.
Both have thrust vectoring capability.

Neo Money will get ya any thing problem with Pakistan is we want it for free or in some cases for a lot less then asking price.
If defense of the country is important for the government of Pakistan like the Western countries stop subsiding Petrol billions in savings (simplest solution)Take that money and build the air force.
All crown corporations should be privatized regardless if they making money or not other then collecting taxes government shouldn't be involved in any business.:hitwall:
showing hard cash no country in the world will deny us any thing including Russia.

I agree with webby that any deal with Russia, most probably will start from Gunship Helicopters. Pakistan has shown interest in Ka50/52 attack helicopter and we might see it coming in PA. Fighter planes are a different issue and we have to wait in terms of political buildup between Russia and Pakistan for any deal in this regard.

Hi,

Pakistani money has no value when it comes to purchasing defence equipment except from china or france. It is a very bad idea, a very bad strategy to throw money at someone's face and ask them to give you weapons. It is indecent, tasteless and rude. It is un-cultured and russians of all people could care less about our money. There has to be dignity in all relations---it is better to make friends, have an understanding and ask for help---one has to remember that having relations with u s and russia can never be on equal basis---we need to understand our place and make them realize who they are---pakistan will need to earn the trust of the russians to make such a purchase---the russians will have to make a strategic decision at this time---truly for all reasons good or bad, India may have found a new partner---russia is starting to flex its muscle---Bear bombers flying their old routes---russian nuclear subs launching missiles---new strike aircraft in russian arsenal---the recent statement by the russian general that if need be---there may be a pre-empted nuclaer strike against any enemy---russia is sending out some strong messages---now who are the future partners are going to be---the chips will fall where they fall---but I will tell you that Gwadar port, the road and rail link to afghanistan will be playing a major major part on who our allies are going to be in the future.

Er... the "Thunder" will have Russian RD-33 engines ( smoky and all!!):D

No it won't, RD-33 is used in IAF Mig-29.
We're getting RD-93, based on the improved RD-33K version...smokeless :smokin:

No it won't, RD-33 is used in IAF Mig-29.
We're getting RD-93, based on the improved RD-33K version...smokeless :smokin:

You sure, Neo? cigarette smoke vs cigar smoke?:azn:

"The current engine in the JF-17, the Russian RD-93, is not completely smoke-free. Emissions have been significantly decreased, but some smokiness still remains..."

JF-17 Thunder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russian engines are smoky... more so from MIG, - no matter what flavor!!

You sure, Neo? cigarette smoke vs cigar smoke?:azn:

"The current engine in the JF-17, the Russian RD-93, is not completely smoke-free. Emissions have been significantly decreased, but some smokiness still remains..."

JF-17 Thunder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russian engines are smoky... more so from MIG, - no matter what flavor!!

There is RD-93, then RD-93A, and soon to come RD-93B. RD-93A also has its sub-improved versions (like a1, a2). Need to check on that though.

Russia Is Willing 2 Sell Fighter Planes

ISLAMABAD: Russia is willing to sell Pakistan air defence missiles and fighter planes, reliable sources revealed here on Tuesday.

President Pervez Musharraf's landmark visit to Russia, which began from Tuesday, is a mission to build a concrete foundation for long-lasting cooperation on two key sectors -- energy and weapons, they said.

They said Moscow is willing to sell air-defence missiles to Pakistan, though likely not the S-300U missiles for which Musharraf will request to Russian President Vladimir Putin. From Moscow's point of view, according to the sources, Russia's recent aviation deals with India will more than make up for the new sales to Pakistan.

Pakistan is interested in buying Russian aircraft to help bolster its air force. Islamabad also seeks Russian supersonic anti-ship missiles, though Moscow is unlikely to sell either of these anytime in the near future, the sources said.

However, by steering clear of ground or naval supplies, Moscow can avoid straining ties with India or trying to compete with the Ukrainian arms industry's established relationships. The visit will also see Musharraf and President Vladimir Putin using the opportunity to redefine relations and increase strategic options for their respective nations, the sources said.

Musharraf's visit comes amid attempts by Moscow to establish relations with Pakistan independent of its ties with India -- much as Washington already has shifted away from the zero-sum approach to the South Asian rivals.

For both Musharraf and Putin, the visit is an opportunity to open a new set of political and economic options -- giving Islamabad greater leeway in international ties and strengthening Moscow's position in South and Central Asia.

These initial discussions are, however, unlikely to produce any major breakthroughs: Talk on Kashmir, Iraq, the war against terrorism and even economic cooperation are all general discussions with little chance of instantaneous payback.

But two areas where Moscow and Islamabad are likely to make concrete progress -- and lay the foundation for future cooperation -- will concern the energy and arms industries. During the visit, the two countries will sign four memoranda of understanding covering immigration, visas, debt rescheduling and cultural exchanges.

Delegates also will talk about the privatisation of Pakistani oil and gas companies, as well as Russian investment opportunities in energy and other economic sectors in Pakistan. Moscow will raise the issue of Chechen militants taking refuge in Pakistan, and it might offer to launch Pakistani satellites from Russian rockets.

Additionally, Putin and Musharraf will discuss broader issues of regional stability, Pakistan-Indian relations and cooperation on the anti-terrorism front. From Moscow's point of view, working with Pakistan is a chance to reclaim Russia's international prominence, since Moscow hopes to play the role of a mediator and peacemaker in Kashmir. It would also help secure Russia's southern flank, moving beyond Central Asia to the coast.

For Islamabad, building new ties with Moscow provides an opportunity to gain some assistance in dealing with India. Russia is India's top arms supplier and thus has a fair amount of leverage with the South Asian giant.

Pakistan hopes that Moscow reduces its arms sales to India or at least considers Pakistan's interests in any future weapons deals. In addition, Islamabad is looking to Moscow to expand its strategic ties internationally. Pakistan has seen first the US and then long-time ally China open new levels of dialogue with India, and leaders in Islamabad feel they must take similar steps to ensure that the international community continues to take its interests into account.

Although the broader strategic discussions will take years -- if not decades -- to develop, there are areas of concrete cooperation upon which the two nations plan to build their new relationship.

Both Islamabad and Moscow have similar, though not exact, interests in new oil and gas pipelines across Pakistan. Moscow sees these as a way to preserve Russian influence and involvement in any new export routes from Central Asia.

Islamabad sees Russian involvement as a way of strengthening the chances of projects success, and of reducing Indian resistance to having Pakistan as part of the energy supply corridor from Iran and Central Asia.

Sources say Musharraf will also raise the issue of building an oil pipeline from Kazakhstan through Central Asia to Pakistan, in addition to existing proposals for the Trans-Afghan gas pipeline and the Iran-India gas pipeline.

Both presidents see the real potential for defence cooperation as well. Moscow would like to enter the Pakistani arms market, but has been reticent due to potential objections from India and the competition from Ukraine. The first deals on the table are likely to be for air-defence equipment, including surface-to-air missiles and radars.

During the course of his visit, Musharraf will work to redefine Pakistan's relations with Russia and its position within South Asia and the world. Though this is an extremely ambitious goal -- and one unlikely to be accomplished quickly -- there is a very real confluence of interest in key projects, particularly in Pakistan's potential role as a trans-shipment route for Central Asian and Iranian oil and gas supplies. On this, and later on arms deals, lie the prospects for a new level of Pakistan-Russian cooperation.

Alhumdulillah excellent news my ears were longing to here this blessed news chief i worked very hard on the Russia thread & on emphasizing Russian/Pakistan ties on the occasion of this blessed news could you please if so give me some rep points i only have 443.
thank you

:china: Russia & :pakistan: way to go :tup:

Alhumdulillah excellent news my ears were longing to here this blessed news chief i worked very hard on the Russia thread & on emphasizing Russian/Pakistan ties on the occasion of this blessed news could you please if so give me some rep points i only have 443.
thank you

:china: Russia & :pakistan: way to go :tup:

This thread is two years old, no deal is imminent.

But I think this coming together of Pakistan and Russia is pretty inevitable. With India moving towards the US, Pakistan will be moving in the opposite direction. Everyone's simply waiting to see who India goes with for the 126 fighter aircraft deal. If India goes with the US, which I think they will, Pakistan will ask for, and recieve advanced Russian equipment.

Great chance for us to capitalize on account of the India-US relations. We should go for the SU-30 if the J-10 deal isn't finalized by the time India opts for F-16s/F-18s.

Solid snake, last I remember we were given the green light for re-export of the engines and Russia sold us Mi17s with more planned, perhaps this is a glimpse of what is to come. China and Russia are strong allies, this may motivate Russia in to an alliance with Pakistan. Being optimistic.

By the way, China already has Su-30s which means the technology is pretty much exposed to Pakistan. We can easily evaluate our JF-17 Thunder in combat exercises with Su-30s with the help of PLAAF.

except for the green signal (personally given by V.Putin) for the "one-off" re-export of RD-93 engines for the JF-17 a/c, i dont see any further progress in the defence field between Russia and pakistan. further sales of the Mi-17 has also been stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom