What's new

Road trip, UK to Pakistan

For anyone interested to know, obviously I am still doing alot of research to make sure I get all the things I need in order.

I have found that as Turkey is classed as part of Europe only for the sake of tourism, they do not have a carnet de passage requirement. However Iran and especially Pakistan they require a carnet, which is like a passport for your car/motorbike which allows you entry into the country on the condition it will be bought back within 3-12 months.

Obviously the first thing that comes to mind is I will leave it in Pakistan and come back and loose £200 for the carnet document. Unfortunately friends, countries like Iran and Pakistan demand an assurance to be left with the bank against the value of the car/motorbike. Hence in my case, as my bike is worth £6000. I have to leave 500% assurance in a bank. therefore I have to leave £30,000 in a UK bank so that if I do not return with my motorbike then I will loose that amount. Other Middle East countries have a 200% demand whilst Egypt is the only country with the 800% demand.

You can also go and get insurance to do this however they will overall charge you 5% of the total individual countries assurance amount. So I will have to pay 10% of the 500% of Pakistan carnet totalling, £3000. However upon return of the carnet I will receive the 5% back totalling £1500 and the insurance countries charges its fees of £1500. Screw that............. Luckily I can fall into the first band and keep some money borrowed and loaned in there..........

http://media.rac.co.uk/pdf/carnet-de-passage-information.pdf

More to come

I start a dry run on 30/04/2013 where I will be traveling from Birmingham to Folkestone, where I will catch the eurotunnel on 01/05/2013 to Calais. From her it is through France, Belgium and Luxembourg. I am hoping to go through a set route although there is a shorter run when it comes to going proper. I will stop in Italy and return back to the UK.

Valuable experience to be gained, pros and cons examined, right hand driving mastered and customs/cultures explored.

I am hoping to see what the bus route from Birmingham to Pakistan is taking to see what there take is on the best possible routes. I believe this service only started this month, so that would be good.

Will keep you all updated and hopefully will have a GPS tracker for upto date location on as well.

I knew I should have got PTI stickers on the bike for a ride through............damn

I knew I should have got PTI stickers on the bike for a ride through............damn

dont get into politics mate, just focus on trip and hopefully people on the route will welcome you. If you still need some stickers, better stick to world peace, anti poverty or even breast cancer awareness... :)

I start a dry run on 30/04/2013 where I will be traveling from Birmingham to Folkestone, where I will catch the eurotunnel on 01/05/2013 to Calais. From her it is through France, Belgium and Luxembourg. I am hoping to go through a set route although there is a shorter run when it comes to going proper. I will stop in Italy and return back to the UK.

Valuable experience to be gained, pros and cons examined, right hand driving mastered and customs/cultures explored.

I am hoping to see what the bus route from Birmingham to Pakistan is taking to see what there take is on the best possible routes. I believe this service only started this month, so that would be good.

Will keep you all updated and hopefully will have a GPS tracker for upto date location on as well.

Good luck! Stay safe!

I am looking at a maximum of 350-400 miles a day. That will give me many good stops to explore the local cafes. Trying to get my French greased to help bond with those respected countries.

First leg of my trip is done.

UK to France, into Belgium, into Luxembourg and into Germany.

Wow, what a route. I stopped off in Arlon, Belgium, and Vianden, Luxembourg. For advice of anyone, the roads in France and Belgium are sh1te. Luxembourg is absolutely awesome and surprisingly very modern and good quality food.

Will try and get photos up soon

Next leg, France, Switzerland and Italy, hopefully work out how to get a ferry from Ancona or Bari direct to Izmir, Turkey. From there it is a straight run to Iran, and Pakistan

Get us some photos and journal entries, even conversations with locals, how are authorities to deal with - Are you traveling alone?

I know its not appropriate... but.. how is your arse???

First leg of my trip is done.

UK to France, into Belgium, into Luxembourg and into Germany.

Wow, what a route. I stopped off in Arlon, Belgium, and Vianden, Luxembourg. For advice of anyone, the roads in France and Belgium are sh1te. Luxembourg is absolutely awesome and surprisingly very modern and good quality food.

Will try and get photos up soon

Next leg, France, Switzerland and Italy, hopefully work out how to get a ferry from Ancona or Bari direct to Izmir, Turkey. From there it is a straight run to Iran, and Pakistan

I know its not appropriate... but.. how is your arse???

I was curious as well (not just his arse but his back as well :lol:) as he is doing a sports touring motorcycle and wanted to know the comfort on doing so many miles in a day.

muse, the locals are brilliant. They are far more respectful then the folk in the UK. There road mannerism is far ahead in patience wise. Most shops speak little English so you can communicate but they are always polite and appreciate you trying to speak French with them, even if it is very little or makes no sense.

One thing you do not miss are the number of Germans. They are everywhere, or maybe the fact that they too are very keen bikers and any good bike route, they are there also. Most of them are descent, however they were the biggest fall, as alot of them are dangerous riders.

The Police were of little trouble. We got speed checked only once in Luxembourg, and even then we were abiding by the speed limit so they let us through without even stopping us.

I will put up photos soon matey

I was curious as well (not just his arse but his back as well :lol:) as he is doing a sports touring motorcycle and wanted to know the comfort on doing so many miles in a day.

Mate, you get used to it after the first 100 miles. There was another guy there, Deepak, on an R1. Hell, he must have been in pain, but took it quite well.

I did a maximum of 350 - 400 miles. That was only on my return from Vianden to London. Like I said, when you get over the first 100 miles, it becomes easy. And anyway, you would stop every 80 - 100 miles for a drink or snack, and that way explore the countryside and people as well.

Mate back won't hurt as much as arse, specially sitting on it for 350-400 miles. I just want to know where the pain is the most :D

Mate back won't hurt as much as arse, specially sitting on it for 350-400 miles. I just want to know where the pain is the most :D

Back is the main issue with these motorcycles as many sportsbikes have your body frame bent forward which will hurt your back bigtime like what he quoted above - R1. He has chosen a sports touring as I am myself eyeing a sport touring - thought of Ducati Diavel but you don't get old ones as it is a new motorcycle line - So eyeing an used Ducati Monster or Multistrada for this summer so that is both sporty and you can do long distances but I saw that the body frame is still bent forward which will strain the back unlike Diavel or say an Harley Dyna.

Back
Top Bottom