What's new

Replacement of Pakistan Army's G-3 Rifles.

which?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
HK 416 is much better weapon than M4 much more reliable although based on the same design as M4 but has many modifications that make it very reliable.

Pakistan is going to modify all the G-3s to this standard, and apparently plan to keep them in service for quite longer,

535855_501514393233227_2033955974_n.jpg

Pakistan is going to modify all the G-3s to this standard, and apparently plan to keep them in service for quite longer,

That's not so bad,I'm guessing they'll still use the Type 56 for low-intensity operations.

But how long will the G3 remain in service?There will be a point at which it will have to be discarded,my guess is that until a stronger caliber than the 5.56mm shows up

That's not so bad,I'm guessing they'll still use the Type 56 for low-intensity operations.

But how long will the G3 remain in service?There will be a point at which it will have to be discarded,my guess is that until a stronger caliber than the 5.56mm shows up

Till we can afford to re-equip the troops with a good replacement rifle, probably a 7.62x39mm.

535855_501514393233227_2033955974_n.jpg

Last Hope:

Can you elaborate on this - how are the problems previously discusses, namely the weight and length, the inability to reliably use automatic, the problem with jamming, the recoil, -- how have these problems been addressed?

Last Hope:

Can you elaborate on this - how are the problems previously discusses, namely the weight and length, the inability to reliably use automatic, the problem with jamming, the recoil, -- how have these problems been addressed?

I haven't got any information about those, @XYON could help you in this matter.
There was replacement program intended for MP-5 but latter dropped. All MP-5A2s are also going to get Chinese LY0001 Red D0t Sights. The G-3A3s which will not be upgraded to as shown in the picture will also receive these sights as planned.

Here is a picture of the sight:

282659_417761754941444_303241830_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
look at any youtube footage with Pakistani soldiers firing the G3 and the recoil is so terrible that it seems that the intended target is the safest from the incoming bullet. I just made a comparison video picked up from some youtube footage, there are some worse examples of G3 which I couldnt get but there are two I could find where the barrel swerves remarkably then I also have the AK 47/ type 56 comparison and the Pakistani soldiers are firing the same bullet caliber without that violent recoil.

granted that 7.62 has undisputed stopping power and pretty much ensures a kill no matter where it hits the target due to the shock and trauma caused by the bullet once it enters and exits the body but this all power is of no use if its not hitting the enemy.

why not adopt a gun that has the power but not that violent recoil. G3A3 is of bygone era its too long, heavy and has jamming issues at below freezing conditions ("mostly" you only see AK 47 clones carried by soldiers in snowy places) and then there is this terrible recoil for our skinny soldiers with a small frame. normally our news channels use a footage of 2008 that is recycled to death and there is a helicopter landing on grass, a soldier firing a small burst and a soldier fires a single shot from G3 and looses his shoulder in the process and almost doesnt fall.(unfortunately I couldnt get hold of it otherwise I would have included that too)

but do see the comparison and see how smooth AK 47 is and why a gun with lesser recoil should be considered without sacrificing the power of G3.

I am expecting a backlash from G3A3 fanboys I know its an awesome gun but please lets move on. my cousin claims to blow up a brick at 300+ meters, without a scope but not sure how many can achieve that accuracy with the kind of footage we have.

The problems associated with the G3 are technological - it's curious that the firing mechanism has not been redesigned - I may be completely wrong about this but it seems no real work has been to use this design as a take off point by Pakistani engineers.

@Irfan Baloch : Irfan Bhai, the shortcomings of the G3 that you suggest aren't of a nature that couldn't have been identified 40 or so years ago when it was inducted; why wasn't the recoil, the failure to hit because of that recoil & jamming factored in back then ?

I would imagine that the G3 is still valued for whatever it provides to off-set the aforementioned disadvantages otherwise we would have chosen another platform when :

(a) it was being inducted to begin with

(b) during the '80s when we had the sanctions lifted & the US aid flowing in

(c) during the early '00s when we again had the sanctions lifted & the US aid flowing in

The problems associated with the G3 are technological - it's curious that the firing mechanism has not been redesigned - I may be completely wrong about this but it seems no real work has been to use this design as a take off point by Pakistani engineers.

"there is a right way and then there is an Army way"

goes the saying

Its known as "jugard".

look at any youtube footage with Pakistani soldiers firing the G3 and the recoil is so terrible that it seems that the intended target is the safest from the incoming bullet. I just made a comparison video picked up from some youtube footage, there are some worse examples of G3 which I couldnt get but there are two I could find where the barrel swerves remarkably then I also have the AK 47/ type 56 comparison and the Pakistani soldiers are firing the same bullet caliber without that violent recoil.

granted that 7.62 has undisputed stopping power and pretty much ensures a kill no matter where it hits the target due to the shock and trauma caused by the bullet once it enters and exits the body but this all power is of no use if its not hitting the enemy.

why not adopt a gun that has the power but not that violent recoil. G3A3 is of bygone era its too long, heavy and has jamming issues at below freezing conditions ("mostly" you only see AK 47 clones carried by soldiers in snowy places) and then there is this terrible recoil for our skinny soldiers with a small frame. normally our news channels use a footage of 2008 that is recycled to death and there is a helicopter landing on grass, a soldier firing a small burst and a soldier fires a single shot from G3 and looses his shoulder in the process and almost doesnt fall.(unfortunately I couldnt get hold of it otherwise I would have included that too)

but do see the comparison and see how smooth AK 47 is and why a gun with lesser recoil should be considered without sacrificing the power of G3.

I am expecting a backlash from G3A3 fanboys I know its an awesome gun but please lets move on. my cousin claims to blow up a brick at 300+ meters, without a scope but not sure how many can achieve that accuracy with the kind of footage we have.

Sir, it seems as if it is a simple issue of a lack of funds. It is naturally far cheaper for the PA to spend $1-200 USD on a few upgrades to the existing G-3s than to spend $3-5,000+ USD on a completely brand new rifle (which would cost Billions for the entire PA). No one is saying the issues/drawbacks of the G-3 will be addressed merely there is little the PA can realistically do as realistically it is a brand new rifle the PA needs but that simply isn't an option right now.

It seems as though this upgrade is an interim solution until a time when the funds are there. It is an imperfect solution but it is what it is.

better to take some,albeit small, steps than none at all.

what about the type 56? same stopping power of 7.62, same features of legendary AK 47, its already in use why not this replaces G3 completely? if the issue is with the accuracy due to muzzle swing during firing (as shown by slomo videos of M 16 vs AK 47) then only that bit can be addressed, saving the time and effort to build the entire casing, firing mechanism and design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom