What's new

Raymond Davis Case: Developing Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rahat Fateh Ali Khan quizzed over undeclared foreign currency, Pak steps in

New Delhi: A day after Pakistani singer Rahat Fateh Ali Khan was arrested at Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport for possessing illegal foreign currency, the Department of Revenue Intelligence is questioning him to find out where the money came from and why it was not declared.

The 37-year-old singer is expected to be produced in court today.

Meanwhile, concerned over his arrest, Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik has asked the High Commission in Delhi to keep a close eye on proceedings. Three embassy officials are at the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence in Delhi, where Rahat is being questioned.

Pakistani officials got in touch with Indian High Commission in Islamabad and have asked to be kept informed about the developments in the case.
Rahat Fateh Ali Khan was held at the Delhi airport on Sunday night for carrying undeclared currency worth $ 1, 24, 000. He was flying out to Dubai when he was intercepted by personnel from the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI). His manager Chitresh Srivastava was also detained.

The foreign currency was not declared to Customs officials after the immigration checks, a DRI official said.

"The DRI officers found altogether $ 1, 24,000 which is equivalent to about Rs. 60 lakh. $ 24,000 were found from the baggage carried by Rahat while the remaining $ 50,000 each were found from the baggage of two troupe members," Central Board of Excise and Customs Chairman S Dutt Majumdar said.

what can you expect from indian hospitality; but he chose to go there and should have known the implications of it

sound judgement always goes a long way, especially in a country that is totally alien

So if a person is carrying such a big amount of undeclared money,we should let him go?just because Abu Zolfiqar wouldn't be too happy?:lol:

what can you expect from indian hospitality; but he chose to go there and should have known the implications of it

sound judgement always goes a long way, especially in a country that is totally alien

So tell your artist not to come our evil country

why should I? It's not my business. Actually, he should have been aware about hindustan's capital controls; which exist in many other countries. indian in particular have draconian capital controls.

probably it was his money which he earned from concerts and other activities; i dont think he has any investments in that damned country

again, he should have been a bit wiser and known the implications of such a visit

Selective justification of breaking of law for self satisfaction.

Wonder if he had broken the rules in Islamabad airport carrying undisclosed money which is against law in Pakistan, these voices which cries hospitality blah blah blahs would have thanked authorities for doing their duties. Hypocrisy , now moves to another level. WOWWWWW....

Most probably payments made to him by record companies but in order to evade tax paid him privately.

money can also be planted like those of the evidences which were planted on RS rathod by MI.Regarding confessions ..give me a break...99% times cases based on confessions in police custody were simply thrown out of courts.And its not a big deal to get confession in india the inhumane way law enforcement people get those confessions whole world knows about it.

why this **** is acting like a cat on hot tin .. so far the only news coming is of undeclared money and our true and only indian is ready with multiple gossip theories.

If he is found guilty then he must be ashamed of himself, His father was Such a Great man and a Musician.... I am an all time fan of Nusrat fateh ali Khan...

do u even know what ur talking about? Nusrat Fetah Ali Khan (late) was his uncle not father.. this show how well informed u r ..
Peace

So how will this end? I will analyze the scenarios,

1. GOP will cave in and release Raymond on diplomatic immunity.
This may turn out to be the possibility after all because as emotional as we can be, Pakistan did sign the Vienna agreement. This may result in a political situation equivalent to the Egyptian scenario and USA will loose whatever "Friendly" image it is trying to create in front of the Pakistani public.
May also piss of the army and the situation can turn very ugly for the PPP Govt.

2. He will be charged with the murder of two Pakistani citizen and carrying suspicious items, will be jailed or hanged.
In this case we may have to face a very tough opposition from USA and considering how deep the roots of their involvement in Pakistan are, i frankly don't see it happening. But if it does, it may trigger some kind of retaliatory response from USA which may not come at once and may not be open (because USA is relying heavily on Pakistan for their Afghanistan operation), but US will take revenge in one form or another.

there are other issues that have cropped up---was Davis involved in subversive activities as well----what information was gleaned from his person and from his cell phone----whom had he called and who was on his contact list---.
There is precedent, specifically in Pakistan, where diplomatic immunity did not hold in the case of 'subversive activities' against the host State.

I am referring to the Pakistani raid of the Iraqi embassy in the seventies (IIRC), when the Iraqi Embassy (with the assistance of the Soviet Union) was suspected of storing large amounts of explosives, weapons and cash for distribution to Baluch separatists in Pakistan.

1. GOP will cave in and release Raymond on diplomatic immunity.

Very likely because Pakistan does not want to loose US support.

2. He will be charged with the murder of two Pakistani citizen and carrying suspicious items, will be jailed or hanged.

Highly unlikly because Qureshie was sacrificed to open a way for RD`s departure.

Its a matter of few days before you see him released.....no wonder.

BTW, people have stopped posting Luchman-Najam Sethi videos (my fav) are their no videos no more???

Detained US official ‘in telephone contact with terrorist groups’

By Rob Crilly, Islamabad 4:54PM GMT 10 Feb 2011

A US official, detained in Pakistan after shooting dead two men, had made contact with Taliban-linked extremists in the country’s lawless, tribal region, according to details of phone records leaked by the police.

Davis-3-400x300.jpg

Sources close to the investigation said Raymond Davis, 36, had made a series of telephone calls to South Waziristan, a tribal area along the border with Afghanistan synonymous with militant activity.

The mystery surrounding Davis has deepened since he was arrested in Lahore two weeks ago. He has told police officers he shot dead two men in self defence.

The US insists he is a diplomat based at the embassy in Islamabad and should be granted immunity.

However, security sources have leaked a series of details suggesting that he may have had a clandestine role.

“His phone records clearly show he was in contact with Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, for what reason we can only speculate,” said a police officer, referring to a terrorist group with close links to the Pakistani Taliban.

Hamid Gul, a former head of Pakistan’s spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence directorate, said the phone calls suggested he was a secret agent.

“This is a classic intelligence technique – to get inside the head of the enemy,” he said.

Davis, who is due to appear in court on Friday, is a former special forces soldier who left the US army in 2003 after 10 years of service, according to Pentagon records.

Mobile phone footage obtained by the Dunya TV channel shows him pleading for the return of his passport shortly after his arrest.

“I need to tell the embassy where I am at,” he said, during a confused interrogation as police officers interrupt and laugh in the background.

He went on to tell them that he was working at the US consulate in Lahore “I just work as a consultant there, with the [Regional Affairs Office],” he said.

His arrest is deeply embarrassing to the governments of both Pakistan and the US, which has suspended some high-level talks in order to increase pressure on Islamabad.

Source: The Telegraph

Wrong. Under international law it is not permitted to hold a person with diplomatic immunity in custody while facts are ascertained.

None of the U.S. statements I've seen are in conflict about his immune status.

Pakistan FM Qureshie has already clarified that RD does not hold diplomatic immunity . Isn't that sufficient ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom