What's new

Qoutes of Day

If you are not criticized, you may not be doing much.
- Donald H. Rumsfeld

Four Catholic men and a Catholic woman were having coffee.
The first Catholic man tells his friends, "My son is a priest, when he walks into a room, everyone calls him 'Father'."
The second Catholic man chirps, "My son is a Bishop. When he walks into a room people call him 'Your Grace'."
The third Catholic gent says, "My... son is a Cardinal. When he enters a room everyone says 'Your Eminence'."
The fourth Catholic man then says, "My son is the Pope. When he walks into a room people call him 'Your Holiness'."
Since the lone Catholic woman was sipping her coffee in silence, the four men give her a subtle, "Well....?
She proudly replies, "I have a daughter,
slim, tall, 38 24 34.

When she walks into a room, people say, "Oh My God."

Gandhi's Talisman
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man [woman] whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him [her]. Will he [she] gain anything by it? Will it restore him [her] to a control over his [her] own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to swaraj [freedom] for the hungry and spiritually starving millions?
Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."
- One of the last notes left behind by Gandhi in 1948, expressing his deepest social thought.
Source: Mahatma Gandhi [Last Phase, Vol. II (1958), P. 65].

This is printed before index in every school book in India.

Men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all the other alternatives.
- Abba Eban

Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose.
- Evan Esar
You don't get anything clean without getting something else dirty.
- Cecil Baxter
Two wrongs don't make a right, but they make a good excuse.
- Thomas Szasz

When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
- C. P. Snow

It is good to learn what to avoid by studying the misfortunes of others.
Publius Syrius

Experience is by industry achieved
And perfected by the swift course of time.
William Shakespeare

Time's glory is to command contending kings,
To unmask falsehood, and bring truth to light.

The Rape of Lucrece, Shakespeare

KIT Out

Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and scarce in that; for it is true we may give advice, but we cannot give conduct.
Benjamin Franklin

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
- Thomas Jefferson

The experience of others adds to our knowledge, but not to our wisdom; that is dearer bought.
Hosea Ballou

Back
Top Bottom