What's new

Project 15A destroyers KOLKATA class Destroyers IN

Well Rajput class are supposed to retire between 2014-22

So our Destroyer fleet is unlikely to exceed 10

While FRIGATES could increase to 22 from 15 , in the next 7-8 yrs

3 SSBNs with S-4 on trail. Also late 2018 could see the first of 4-6 LHD/LPD entering into Indian service.

+ 2-3 of the Scorpene SSKs will be in service.

Buddy, not 2-3 scorpenes but all 6 will be in service.

first one is to be inducted in 2015 & than every successful one in 6 months time till 2018.

I am impressed by the built quality they are getting rusty, very powerful ships though

MDL.jpg

Good to know! I was under the impression only 3 would be in service by 2018, I'm glad to be wrong!

Mate, I am now waiting for the news that IN is finally going for 3 follow-on Scorpenes, bringing the total order to 9.

There was a single source about the same 2 years back:

but nothing is still confirmed.

I am hoping that since P-75I is getting delayed, IN will exercise that option & we will be inducting as much as 9 scorpenes till 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard that last 2 scorpene out of 6 will be equipped with indigenous AIP.......so my question is why they are not equipping all scorpene subs??? Or they will equipp them later?? Sorry for my ignorance!!

Mate, I am now waiting for the news that IN is finally going for 3 follow-on Scorpenes, bringing the total order to 9.

There was a single source about the same 2 years back:

but nothing is still confirmed.

I am hoping that since P-75I is getting delayed, IN will exercise that option & we will be inducting as much as 9 scorpenes till 2020.

Let's wait and see, the lack of any news on this front makes be doubtful about this news. I think the P-75I order will be secured within the next 24-36 months if the IN moves ahead and opens the tender this year.

I have heard that last 2 scorpene out of 6 will be equipped with indigenous AIP.......so my question is why they are not equipping all scorpene subs??? Or they will equipp them later?? Sorry for my ignorance!!

The French didn't have developed the MESMA AIP for the Scorpenes when we ordered them and I guess there were some in IN that questioned the maturity of the system. Re-fitting a sub with AIP is not an easy task, you have to cut the sub in half and add a new modul with the propulsion and weld it all together again:

Mesma%20AIP%20@copyright%20DCNS.jpg

3105495201_b7d1231f50_o.jpg

So that might be done only during a major overhaul and not in a simple upgrade soon.

The "rust" is not on the ships but is from the lines that were used to tie the hull to tugs and land. The lines rubbed on the ship and left these marks.

@Abingdonboy. The correct terminology for those marks in Nautical Language is "Weeping Stains". Its caused by rubbing or chafing by mooring lines, fenders or such equipment used to moor ships, mostly. It is an unsightly discoloration which only has an adverse 'cosmetic effect' with no effect on structurals.
As Ships or marine structures age; then corrosion on the surface can take place; which then cause "weeping rust stains" where a small surface area on a surface (usually on a vertical surface) if left untreated for a long time will leave a vertical stain on the surface of intact surface coating (ie multiple layers of paint) again causing what is known as 'cosmetic damage'. That is periodically attended to by Ship's Crew or "Dockyard Mateys" by cleaning with 'Rust stain Solvents and Removers', then degreased, washed down by Hi-Press FreshWater Jets/Lances. Then the stained areas are recoated with the appropriate paints/surface coatings. This is part of the routine maintenance schedule of Ships or any Marine Structures, till it is finally de-commissioned and scrapped.
One of the first things that any Sailor or "Salty Swab" learns is the adage that "Paint is cheaper than Steel" while the Mechanicians on board learn that "Grease is cheaper than Steel".
Both adages are self-explanatory! :)

@ Capt.Popeye

I am a layperson with no knowledge of maritime structural topics. However, for my own educational purpose, I would like to know what is the reason many ships have a dent all along on the hull plates?

Say you have a square plate

[ ] << the center of this square plate usually has a concave like depression. If we laypersons observe the entire length and height of ships , we see these dents on almost all plates.

So my questions :-
1) What causes these uniform depressions
2) Are there any technologies in marine engineering that could improve or negate possibilities of denting ?
3) Why do Navy ships have these whereas cargo ships are not found to have these dents?
4) Having seen these on submarines as well, do they eventually cause or affect performance of speed in submerged depths?

I hope am coherent in my questions (without support of any graphics)

Your answer(s) would be highly appreciated

Thanks & Regards
Dandpatta

Back
Top Bottom