What's new

Pope's atheism remarks spark row

That is alot of people he is referring to. This list is a bit old but gives people an idea.

# Christianity: 2.1 billion
# Islam: 1.5 billion
# Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
# Hinduism: 900 million
# Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
# Buddhism: 376 million
# primal-indigenous: 300 million
# African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
# Sikhism: 23 million
# Juche: 19 million
# Spiritism: 15 million
# Judaism: 14 million
# Baha'i: 7 million
# Jainism: 4.2 million
# Shinto: 4 million
# Cao Dai: 4 million
# Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
# Tenrikyo: 2 million
# Neo-Paganism: 1 million
# Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
# Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
# Scientology: 500 thousand

That is alot of people he is referring to. This list is a bit old but gives people an idea.

# Christianity: 2.1 billion
# Islam: 1.5 billion
# Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
# Hinduism: 900 million
# Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
# Buddhism: 376 million
# primal-indigenous: 300 million
# African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
# Sikhism: 23 million
# Juche: 19 million
# Spiritism: 15 million
# Judaism: 14 million
# Baha'i: 7 million
# Jainism: 4.2 million
# Shinto: 4 million
# Cao Dai: 4 million
# Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
# Tenrikyo: 2 million
# Neo-Paganism: 1 million
# Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
# Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
# Scientology: 500 thousand

I have no idea what Chinese traditional religion refer to and how the figure 394 million came out.Chinese as a whole one is atheist.

First of all I don't understand people, even non religious people as to why they turn an evolutionary biologist like Charles Darwin into some kind of a philosopher & political figure? When in reality he has absolutely nothing to do with philosophy. He wasn't a philosopher nor did he have anything to do with religion.

Unfortunately there is way to much disrespect going around regarding Charles Darwin, especially in the religious community. He was just a wonderful scientist who loved working with biology and learned about birds, rodents, insects and studied many specimens from many different habitats and locations and was driven by his love for the underlying subject of how species adopt and change in different habitats and how one specie that is the least likely to adopt may end up as extinct (as can be seen by dodo birds).

So stop disrespecting scientists who have done an incredibly wonderful job by publishing brilliant articles, journals and books while at the same time stop turning Darwin into some kind of a Political/religious figure. The Origins of species does not mention religion on any page and is entirely focused on Darwins theory of Evolution.

First of all I don't understand people, even non religious people as to why they turn an evolutionary biologist like Charles Darwin into some kind of a philosopher & political figure? When in reality he has absolutely nothing to do with philosophy. He wasn't a philosopher nor did he have anything to do with religion.

Unfortunately there is way to much disrespect going around regarding Charles Darwin, especially in the religious community. He was just a wonderful scientist who loved working with biology and learned about birds, rodents, insects and studied many specimens from many different habitats and locations and was driven by his love for the underlying subject of how species adopt and change in different habitats and how one specie that is the least likely to adopt may end up as extinct (as can be seen by dodo birds).

So stop disrespecting scientists who have done an incredibly wonderful job by publishing brilliant articles, journals and books while at the same time stop turning Darwin into some kind of a Political/religious figure. The Origins of species does not mention religion on any page and is entirely focused on Darwins theory of Evolution.

Charles Darwin was involved in just because the arguement between scientist Thomas Henry Huxley and the church.Huxley is a firmly supporter of Darwin's evolutionary theory.

I as a Christian find no offense. The Pope is a puppet and my views on religion have been shaped by my stay in INdia. It's a big fuming joke. Atheists don't necessarily believe in evolution. I for one believe there was a man named Jesus who preached a good word. People of every religion back then could relate to his msg. Simple. Everything else afterwards was the work of the "Holy" Roman Empire to effectively control the growing Christian might and influence within their pagan society. All religion evolved as a way to control man and power. If there are God (s), they left a long time ago disgusted by the habits and futile attempts of man. They sit back and await our rise or our destruction. The choice is ours. We meaning the rest of the world (except the enlightened ones who already see the future thru their clairvoyance abilities) will realize we are not alone in this world. Then it will be a matter of survival. In order for Earth to survive the world must come together and join hands. Maybe on this day, humanity will stop dividing and start uniting. As a result, we would have a better chance. And that's about it a chance! My beliefs only! At the same time, I hope there is God who realizes I only want to hear and see him and ask him "WHY won;t you come down and guide us idiots?

Last edited:
I as a Christian find no offense. The Pope is a puppet and my views on religion have been shaped by my stay in INdia. It's a big fuming joke. Atheists don't necessarily believe in evolution. I for one believe there was a man named Jesus who preached a good word. People of every religion back then could relate to his msg. Simple. Everything else afterwards was the work of the "Holy" Roman Empire to effectively control the growing Christian might and influence within their pagan society. All religion evolved as a way to control man and power. If there are God (s), they left a long time ago disgusted by the habits and futile attempts of man. They sit back and await our rise or our destruction. The choice is ours. We meaning the rest of the world (except the enlightened ones who already see the future thru their clairvoyance abilities) will realize we are not alone in this world. Then it will be a matter of survival. In order for Earth to survive the world must come together and join hands. Maybe on this day, humanity will stop dividing and start uniting. As a result, we would have a better chance. And that's about it a chance! My beliefs only! At the same time, I hope there is God who realizes I only want to hear and see him and ask him "WHY won;t you come down and guide us idiots?

Humanity dividing or uniting have nothing to do with individual person.
What every one concern about GOD is immortality on behalf of.

Pope is a hyipocrit sereiously. 12m£ could have made loads of school -_-'.

and I hated his comment twowards secularism. Also there was Protest agaisnt him i didn't go but one of my friend (who is gay) went there. Richard dawkings was also there =O.

Last edited:
Pope Francis has been in office for
just over two months and has been
making headlines for many remarks
that emphasize inclusiveness,
contrasting sharply with his
predecessors' style and apparently
even with centuries-old Catholic
dogma.
The latest was a statement last week
that all human beings, even atheists,
can be redeemed.
The pope was delivering a homily in
the chapel of the Domus Santa Marta
residence inside Vatican grounds
where he has decided to live. He
recites mass and delivers a homily
there every morning except Sunday
for Vatican employees and whoever
else might be staying at the
residence.
In a passage inspired by the Gospel
of Mark, Pope Francis said:
"The Lord has redeemed all of
us, all of us, with the Blood of
Christ: all of us, not just
Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the
atheists?' Even the atheists.
Everyone! And this Blood makes
us children of God of the first
class. We are created children
in the likeness of God and the
Blood of Christ has redeemed
us all. And we all have a duty
to do good. And this
commandment for everyone to
do good, I think, is a beautiful
path towards peace. If we, each
doing our own part, if we do
good to others, if we meet
there, doing good, and we go
slowly, gently, little by little, we
will make that culture of
encounter: We need that so
much. We must meet one
another doing good. 'But I don't
believe, Father, I am an atheist!'
But do good: We will meet one
another there."
Headlines across the world
immediately proclaimed, "Even
Atheists Can Go To Heaven."
A Vatican spokesman quickly
intervened. Father Thomas Rosica
said "people who know the Catholic
Church cannot be saved if they
refuse to enter or remain in her."
Reaching Out
The Vatican spin tried to dampen the
media hype. Nevertheless, the remark
was another example of this pope
reaching out to an audience that
goes well beyond the church.
The pope previously said atheists
can be "precious allies" in the
building of a peaceful coexistence
between peoples and in the careful
protection of creation.
This is the style of a parish priest
who wants dialogue with his flock
and beyond.
And it is in stark contrast to the style
of Francis' immediate predecessor,
Benedict XVI, who was much more
restrained and had a bleaker view of
the world.
Benedict's carefully prepared
speeches were heavy on theology.
Francis uses a conversational, down-
to-earth tone, and to the dismay of
the Vatican press office, he often
improvises from his prepared text. He
talks about his personal history and
gives homey anecdotes about his
mother and grandmother.
He even said recently that he
sometimes nods off to sleep while
praying. Benedict rarely gave any
hints of his personal history. Rather,
he focused on the dangers of the
contemporary world.
Francis seems to have a more
optimistic personality, and he loves
to mix with the faithful in the huge
crowds in St. Peter's Square and
shake hands and kiss babies.

Pope Francis: Even Atheists Can Be Redeemed : Parallels : NPR

Pope Francis says atheists can go to heaven - Denison Forum on Truth and Culture

Back
Top Bottom