PKK leader hints at alliance with Turkish religious group

Babur Han

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
PKK leader hints at alliance with Turkish religious group

Thursday, December 9, 2010
ISTANBUL - Radikal

Jailed PKK leader Öcalan is considering cooperation with the group.
The convicted leader of Turkey’s most prominent outlawed group has reiterated plans to extend a unilateral cease-fire until June while also opening the door for potential cooperation with an influential religious community, daily Radikal reported Thursday.

Noting that he had been misunderstood by reports that quoted him as saying the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, would only extend its unilateral cease-fire until March 1, 2011, convicted leader Abdullah Öcalan said, “The final date of the decision is June.”

The pro-Kurdish Fırat News Agency ran a story Wednesday quoting the PKK chief as saying: “The issue of March 1 should not be misunderstood. In March, I will make a comprehensive assessment in light of the developments. So will [the PKK leaders in] Kandil. That’s what I meant by March. Our highlighting of March 1 was for democratic mobilization. The Truth Commission must be established by March.”

Öcalan also suggested Kurdish people living in large cities in western Turkey should return to their hometowns.

Calling both the PKK and the religious Gülen community “dynamic powers,” Öcalan said they could solve Turkey’s fundamental problems if there was “mutual understanding” between them, daily Radikal's Cevdet Aşkın reported.

An estimated 5,000 PKK members are reportedly based in the Kandil Mountains in northern Iraq.

In addition to requesting the prompt production of a documentary about him, Öcalan also addressed the issue of internal migration within the country. “Kurds do not need to go to regions like the Aegean or Black Sea any more,” he said. “Kurds living in Turkish metropolises can return to their hometowns.”

Öcalan requested the establishment of provincial councils in addition to city councils. “City councils are crucial. We are experiencing an operational process. Therefore, we cannot afford to waste time.”

The PKK is recognized as a terrorist group by Turkey, the United States and the European Union.

Gülen movement important for the region

Making a comprehensive assessment of the movement led by U.S.-based religious leader Fethullah Gülen, Öcalan described the Gülen community as an important nongovernmental organization throughout the Middle East.

“I consider them neither a sect nor a congregation. According to me, they are more of a nongovernmental organization across Turkey and Middle East. Their role is important. They have quite a dynamic power and we are also a dynamic power. If these two dynamic powers have a mutual understanding and cooperation, many fundamental problems in Turkey will be solved,” he said.

Hüseyin Gülerce, a columnist at daily Zaman and an important figure in the Gülen community, met Öcalan's lawyers in Yalova on Sunday. He reported in his column that Öcalan's lawyers had been having such meetings with other columnists for the last two years.

Öcalan had previously signaled Nov. 26 the pushing back of the armistice declared by the PKK until the passing of the 2011 elections, saying: “If the government does not take a step in three months, clashes might start again. The countdown to March 1 has started.”

However, his continued highlighting of June as the period until the cease-fire will extend demonstrates that he believes to have evoked the reaction he desires in the public and that his message has been delivered to Ankara, Radikal reported.

Öcalan’s discussion of the provincial commissions, in addition to the city councils, implies political control is desired in hand with the provincial councils, which seem to possess a deeper organizational and homogenous structure than the city councils, which operate at the center of provinces involving people from all political backgrounds, the daily reported.

The declarations Öcalan has made since he started negotiations show that İmralı is engaged in proceeding jointly with the mass pressure from the grassroots and the state institutions, as well as politics itself, for the solution of the Kurdish issue, Radikal said.

Öcalan’s plain call for an alliance with the Gülen movement stems from this engagement, the daily said, adding that Öcalan was thus trying to prevent this power, a power neither he nor the PKK has taken a stance against but regard as a serious political rival, from being influential on his own grassroots.

The Fırat News Agency is sympathetic to the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party, or BDP, and often carries announcements from the PKK.

PKK leader hints at alliance with Turkish religious group - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

Why not take care of these millitants with some cluster bombs!

I have read this news a few hours before !! Fettulah Gulen's community works with pkk..

Our user nick named Zulkarneyn is supporting them !!

Because of akp government !! They are protecting these terrorists... Fetto, akp,dtp and pkk work together !!

The aim is dividing Turkiye ....

God, TrMhMt you are like a disease spreading everywhere. Why do you keep pointing your fingers at Fetullah Gulen and his community? What is your problem with them? These guys have done the country deeds that you cant even imagine, yet you speak of them as a part of terrorist organization. Your words are like rotten mouses, spreading disease everywhere.
Have some moderation and respect.

How do you propose we locate them ? They operate in Iraq and southeastern turkey in the mountains. They also range in the thousands. Not to mention a part of the kurdish population in Turkey supports them.

Last edited:
I ignorance.

What is writing down here ?

"Hüseyin Gülerce, a columnist at daily Zaman and an important figure in the Gülen community, met Öcalan's lawyers in Yalova on Sunday. He reported in his column that Öcalan's lawyers had been having such meetings with other columnists for the last two years."

As you said "your ignorance" !!

Beyler......!!!!

Sakin ol yaaa sakin ol!

Enough fighting. This has gone too far.

APO?? what the hell is this? The guy is sitting in a jail off the waters of Istanbul. How and why are his messages being relayed??

Probably, because of EU pressure. He send his Messages by the Lawjers out.

Wasnt he sentenced to life in prison with no parole?? why would he need lawyers?

serefsiz....

Ocalan was arrested in 1998 if i am not wrong and
in 2000 - 2002 PKK almost was finished. This is a big
fact and maybe because of these fact the foreign powers
tought to do a economic coup so their pion AKP could be
on power and help PKK reorganize again. Today is Ocalan
arrested but still he can talk and still they let Ocalan talk.

Pleas people is this the way to manage a state? Absurd.. bah

Wasnt he sentenced to life in prison with no parole?? why would he need lawyers?

serefsiz....

Because he still communicates with the outside through his lawyers on that island. Infact certain people in Turkish politics even go to talk with him sometimes. Legally we can't do anything about it.

i know why Turkiye hasnt killed APO

because if they execute him, then his supporters will begin to call him shaheed (şehit)

you dont need that....just keep in solitary confinement and dont allow media to see him

and dont allow those nosy EU people --activists or whoever they are -- get near him either!!

I have read this news a few hours before !! Fettulah Gulen's community works with pkk..

Our user nick named Zulkarneyn is supporting them !!

I don't believe that Gulen supports terrorism, he is a man of peace. I would have to see some hard evidence before believing this kind of serious allegation.

Back
Top Bottom