What's new

Picked up a 1938 Mosin Nagant 91/30

fallstuff

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Picked up a Mosin Nagant at the Gander Mountain. The price was $179 plus tax and the $5 fee.
I was there over the weekend to check out a scope, then noticed their Mosin Nagant collection.

So today after work went over there to check the guns, found a 1938 one in excellent condition that matched all the numbers to make sure all parts were original. It came with the original cleaning rod, beyonette, ( !!!! ) oil bottle, and cleaning kit.

I never had anything antique, I am pretty excited about it. If I ever go hunting this shall be the weapon of choice !!

Last edited:
Mosin_Nagant.jpg

images

Range Update:

Took it to the range yesterday. I had Russian surplus ammo with me. When I bought the ammo, I was told its the heavier grain rounds. I opted for it, as it would be more accurate in long distance target shooting.

At the indoor shooting range the ranger wanted to check the ammo first. One particuar ranger took great interest in this ammo. The ammo was silver tipped steel core. After consulting with several fellow rangers he told me that this is an armour piercing round and it might go through their rubber backstock hitting the concrete wall, therefore I can't use it !!

I was a bit disappointed, was looking up to use it, then again I can always use it at an outdoor range, nothing biggie !!

I bought a box of 20 Winchester non-corrosive rounds from the. I chambered the first round, pulled the trigger. It was a perfect shot at 30 yards almost hitting the bulls-eye with punishing recoil. And oh the gun is still in great shape !!

I shot all the remaining 19 rounds with no issue at all.

This Mosin is stunningly accurate which confirms what I read and heard about this particular old rifle.

Looking forward to the outdoor range trip !!

Range Update:

Took it to the range yesterday. I had Russian surplus ammo with me. When I bought the ammo, I was told its the heavier grain rounds. I opted for it, as it would be more accurate in long distance target shooting.

At the indoor shooting range the ranger wanted to check the ammo first. One particuar ranger took great interest in this ammo. The ammo was silver tipped steel core. After consulting with several fellow rangers he told me that this is an armour piercing round and it might go through their rubber backstock hitting the concrete wall, therefore I can't use it !!

I was a bit disappointed, was looking up to use it, then again I can always use it at an outdoor range, nothing biggie !!

I bought a box of 20 Winchester non-corrosive rounds from the. I chambered the first round, pulled the trigger. It was a perfect shot at 30 yards almost hitting the bulls-eye with punishing recoil. And oh the gun is still in great shape !!

I shot all the remaining 19 rounds with no issue at all.

This Mosin is stunningly accurate which confirms what I read and heard about this particular old rifle.

Looking forward to the outdoor range trip !!

Did you have to fiddle with its sight??Or did it come with a perfect one?

Did you have to fiddle with its sight??Or did it come with a perfect one?

No. I read about this gun's sights zeroed straight out of box.

1031.jpg

The adjusting slider was exactly in this position. You should get one while they are still relatively cheap.

Outdoor Range:

Stay tuned for the update.

Lost my entire update.

Anyway took the gun to an outdoor range. It performed flawlessly shooting 80 rounds of 60 year old Soviet surplus ammo !!

I was shooting steel targets at 200 ft with iron sight straight out of the box. It took a few rounds to get the hang of shooting such distance with no scope, after that it was just sweet plinking sound bouncing off AR500 steel targets.

All in all, great day at the range.

Last edited:
Picked up a Mosin Nagant at the Gander Mountain. The price was $179 plus tax and the $5 fee.
I was there over the weekend to check out a scope, then noticed their Mosin Nagant collection.

So today after work went over there to check the guns, found a 1938 one in excellent condition that matched all the numbers to make sure all parts were original. It came with the original cleaning rod, beyonette, ( !!!! ) oil bottle, and cleaning kit.

I never had anything antique, I am pretty excited about it. If I ever go hunting this shall be the weapon of choice !!
Excellent Buy.... doesn't it give a feeling of undefinable awesomeness when you just hold it.....

Excellent Buy.... doesn't it give a feeling of undefinable awesomeness when you just hold it.....

Bolt action rifles are in a class by itself.

However, the Mosin is a bi*ch to clean. I doused it with windex to clean the bore multiple times, I am still not sure if it clean enough !!

Looks like one of those old Remington rifles...

Back
Top Bottom