What's new

Paul Smith designer steals Peshawari Sandal design & claims it to be his design !

The pink looks ultra gay. Message to Paul Smith...
Nigga_902491_133068.jpg

Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300

Pakistan's Dawn newspaper called it the “chappal of two cities”. How, the paper wanted to know, could a simple leather sandal, commonly available in Pakistan for just a few pounds, sell for £300 in a London designer store?

Admittedly, the sandals, or "chappal", found in Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, are not exactly the same as the ones being offered by the British designer Sir Paul Smith. The pair being sold by Sir Paul, for instance, feature a pink neon trim rarely, if ever, found in those picked up in the bazaars of Peshawar.

They were also being sold under the model name “Robert”.

But to many on social media, the shoes otherwise looked pretty much the same. How could, people cried, Sir Paul have the nerve to ask £300 for the shoes and moreover, how could he not be acknowledging their Pakistani inspiration and origin?

Such was the outrage over the footwear, that people were encouraged to sign a petition at change.org addressed to Prime Minister David Cameron and Sir Paul. “If some company wants to sell these footwear, [it must] show some moral obligation and courtesy and must use its original name,” said the petition, which by Monday evening had been signed by more than 250 people.

Beyond the jokes, some believed there was a serious point to be made.

“Extraction of surplus, of labour and of ideas is an age old issue in North-South relations,” Mosharraf Zaidi, an education activist and former diplomat, told The Independent. “However, we should also never shy from owning what is ours, especially on the rare occasions when the associations are entirely positive and aesthetically universal in appeal.”

He added: “These are Peshawari chappals. Paul Smith can make all the money he wants, but he should afford us the small courtesy of calling them what they are.”

Paul Smith failed to respond to questions today. However, it appeared that the virtual show throwing that broke over over Sir Paul’s shiny black leather sandals had made its point.

By Monday evening, the website PaulSmith.co.uk was still advertising the shoes and was still charging £300. The pink trim also remained in place. However, an all-important sentence had been added which read: “Men’s high-shine black leather sandals with neon pink trims inspired by the Peshawari chappal.”

Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300 - News - Fashion - The Independent

robert sandals

liar liar your pants on fire !

next thing of the list for Sir steal Paul is to design a Robert Dhoti

now you guys living in UK could but a pair for 5 pounds on your visit to Pakistan and show it off as Sir Paul's chappal

next thing of the list for Sir steal Paul is to design a Robert Dhoti

now you guys living in UK could but a pair for 5 pounds on your visit to Pakistan and show it off as Sir Paul's chappal

haha :laugh:

the guy has totally lost it, I mean seriously, you got to be a dumb guy to claim such a famous cultural wear of Pakistan, as your original !

wah bhai atleast i can now claim that my parents made me wore designer stuff even before the designer designed the thought of designing the design ... :P

UK based chhor designer Paul Smith a designer claims Peshawari sandal to be his design !

BiYW743IAAEMn_6.jpg

We have been wearing pakhori chapal for centuries and this douche bag paul smith designer claims that its his creation. L !

BITCH PLEASE !! :angry:

@Jazzbot @RescueRanger @nuclearpak @Aeronaut @Talon @Marshmallow @pkuser2k12 @A.Rafay @Spring Onion @chauvunist @Pukhtoon :mad::argh:

paul smith original... bakwas liar !

untitled-jpg.20773

paul-smith-001-jpg.20777
wow its getting popular abroad!

nope it does not come under intellectual property but cultural/traditional item for which there is no law.
Although the naming is shameless to say the least

@Khan_patriot @Armstrong look what he's done :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
sue him lol

rofl @robert chappal :rofl:

saaley gorey paidaishee chor hai, whites are thieves, history proves it.

Wahin mein kahoun tyre ka chamra ka secret tou mujhay bhi nai pata tha....and I think a son of a family friend used to lick those chappals as a kid should ask him :azn:

Actully that trend emerge from Balochistan .... they use old tyers of trucks and buses as thick sole and very popular in Sindh and Balochistan

1380367294_550499807_4-Traditional-peshawari-balochi-sandals-For-Sale.jpg

005-sml-e1380186256482.jpg

really? i thot only leather is used in them....

No ..... what I observe

Punjabi community likes it with thin and soft sole ..... with not so fancy designs ..... Pataans like it in Traditional way ..... Sindhies and Balochies like it with tick sole of tyers with fancy designs for special occasions and plain design for routine use ....

No ..... what I observe

Punjabi community likes it with thin and soft sole ..... with not so fancy designs ..... Pataans like it in Traditional way ..... Sindhies and Balochies like it with tick sole of tyers with fancy designs for special occasions and plain design for routine use ....
yes the best looking ones are of Pathans...it looks real....its mostly used in KPK n Punjab n Balochistan....n i dint know in sindh pppl also wear it....

yes the best looking ones are of Pathans...it looks real....its mostly used in KPK n Punjab n Balochistan....n i dint know in sindh pppl also wear it....

most probably you can not differentiate b/w a traditional Peshawri Chappal and a Balochi chappal .... :lol:

traditional Peshawari Chappal

PakShoes2.jpg

Balochi / Makrani Chappal .....

016-e1380797256254.jpg

001-e1380792578167.jpg

most probably you can not differentiate b/w a traditional Peshawri Chappal and a Balochi chappal .... :lol:

traditional Peshawari Chappal

PakShoes2.jpg

Balochi / Makrani Chappal .....

016-e1380797256254.jpg

001-e1380792578167.jpg
i can....peshwari chappls are simple in designs n balochi like it with different designs:p:

i can....peshwari chappls are simple in designs n balochi like it with different designs:p:

na basically a minor difference ...... Peshawar Chapplel have two pointing edges at front while Balochi Chappal have one secondly the sole of Balochi Chappal is much longer and wider than the Chappal ....

Now I grant you the specialization certificate in Balochi and Pesahwari Chappal ..... now sue Paul Smith .... :whistle:

he did not try to patent it, dont know what the fuss is about..
am pretty sure each other shoe he sells is inspired by some other shoe made by somebody else.

Back
Top Bottom