What's new

Pakistan's minorities minister Shahbaz Bhatti assassinated

Please dont blame it on me i have nothing to do with your character but your posts do show what you are doing here.
But I do blame it on you, Jana. True political change doesn't happen until people take up the battle personally. Even AZ acknowledges that it isn't enough just to write.

my 2nd cousin was 8 months pregnant when she was killed in 2006 (in front of me). I never revealed it before, and i dont care to delve into it.

a lot of people have been killed due to terrorist acts. But of course you'll have people cashing in on the spilt blood when it suits them best. Best thing we can do is ignore them.

but in this case, any distraction from an otherwise healthy debate should be marked with a Red-X and sent packing (for good). We don't need more unemployed trolls in this forum, it's already infested with them.

Solomon2, my advice to you is not to flame and stop ranting please. Pakistan has lost a great and brave minister today. I know your having fun by flaming but no need to add salt to injury.
It is because of America that Pakistan has to deal with this mess.

But I do blame it on you, Jana. True political change doesn't happen until people take up the battle personally. Even AZ acknowledges that it isn't enough just to write.

which is why there are people in the streets also protesting AGAINST such acts.....you just need to KNOW to look.

anyways if i'm not mistaken, i'm done replying to your crap. You and your posts are worse than pathetic.

get lost

my 2nd cousin was 8 months pregnant when she was killed in 2006 (in front of me). I never revealed it before, and i dont care to delve into it.
I am sorry for your loss. I, too, have lost relatives to terror. Yet part of what defines us is how we respond to such loss. And I think that if we run away, if we wring our hands uselessly, we hand a green flag to their killers to continue doing what they are doing with impunity.

I am truly saddened by not only this death, but of the gradual decline of civil society fueled by incessant violence in Pakistan that it represents. My fear is that while the causes can be debated ad nauseum, the whole house will burn down while we debate where to get the water from and who should pour it to douse the raging flames.

Inalilahi wa inna ilehi rajeun

so devastated to hear that, my condolences

I am sorry for your loss. I, too, have lost relatives to terror. Yet part of what defines us is how we respond to such loss. And I think that if we run away, if we wring our hands uselessly, we hand a green flag to their killers to continue doing what they are doing with impunity.

i dont need your apology; by the way, the actions of a few do not represent the whole

and dont say ''running away''....there is nowhere to ''run to''.....you are sitting comfortably near Foggy Bottom. The common man in Pakistan just cares about making a livelihood --we are an honour-based society.

it is the govt. that is in charge of putting policies in place to deal with the issue; rehabilitating those who have been brain-washed. Americans seem to think that bullets and bombs is the only solution on the table.

People are taking up the battle and getting killed what else you want us to do ?

i dont need your apology
I wasn't apologizing.

and dont say ''running away''....there is nowhere to ''run to''.....you are sitting comfortably -
If you are blaming me, or expressing anger towards me, you are running away from your problems, are you not?

The common man in Pakistan just cares about making a livelihood --we are an honour-based society.
Maybe these things have to change?

it is the govt. that is in charge of putting policies in place to deal with the issue -
And who, exactly, is supposed to urge the government to do these things effectively? Me, the armchair American? Or you, the Pakistani citizen?

No Country for Good Men​

"Shahbaz, from your blood revolution will come!" Thus the protesters outside the Lahore Press Club some four hours after the assassination on Wednesday of Shahbaz Bhatti, federal minister for minorities. If this scant, disorganized protest—some clutching umbrellas, others holding up blood red crucifixes as irate motorists splashed by—is any indication, this crowd is more likely to be at the wrong end of any revolution here in Pakistan

Despite the widely known threats to his life, which started in 2009 after Pakistani Christians were massacred in the small Punjab town of Gojra, Bhatti was not traveling with his security detail when he was attacked. Like Salmaan Taseer, the governor of the Punjab who was assassinated barely two months earlier, also in Islamabad, Bhatti was slain in an audaciously public manner. Bhatti, 42, had just left his mother's house for a cabinet meeting when a white Suzuki Mehran stopped his black Corolla. Wajid Durrani, inspector-general of capital police, says three men stepped out and opened fire. Bhatti was shot 30 times, according to the autopsy, including in the head. His driver survived the attack.

"Bhatti's ruthless and cold-blooded murder is a grave setback for the struggle for tolerance, pluralism and respect for human rights in Pakistan," said Ali Dayan Hasan, country representative for Human Rights Watch. "An urgent and meaningful policy shift on the appeasement of extremists that is supported by the military, the judiciary and the political class needs to replace the political cowardice and institutional myopia that encourages such continued appeasement despite its unrelenting bloody consequences."

News of the attack broke shortly before noon. And two hours after his death was confirmed, it was back to business for the country's boisterous TV channels, which focused instead on the cricket World Cup, political intrigue in the Punjab, and the fate of incarcerated CIA contractor Raymond Davis. Bhatti and Taseer had both advocated reforming the country's blasphemy laws to prevent their misuse, and both had been declared apostates by the jihadists and tens of thousands of their mainstream supporters. If the celebratory reaction to Taseer's assassination finally put paid to the notion that Pakistan's militants are a vocal but fringe group (the Senate refused to offer prayers for Taseer), Bhatti's seems to confirm growing national fatigue over the blasphemy-laws controversy.

Before they sped off, the assassins dumped pamphlets at the scene of the crime. "This is a warning from the warriors of Islam to all the world's infidels, Crusaders, Jews and their operatives within the Muslim brotherhood," it reads, "especially the head of Pakistan's infidel system, [President Asif Ali] Zardari, his ministers, and all the institutions of this evil system." This document from the Punjabi Taliban continues: "In your fight against Allah, you have become so bold that you act in favor of and support those who insult the Prophet. And you put a cursed Christian infidel Shahbaz Bhatti in charge of [the blasphemy laws review] committee. This is the fate of that cursed man. And now, with the grace of Allah, the warriors of Islam will pick you out one by one and send you to hell, God willing."

Bhatti founded the All-Pakistan Minorities Alliance (APMA), an advocacy group, in 1985, and joined government in November 2008. According to the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), Bhatti used his office "to obtain government assistance for victims of the worst instances of religiously-motivated mob violence, to advocate publicly for reform or repeal of the blasphemy laws, to gain increased public attention to the concerns of the religious minorities, to secure increased employment opportunities in public service for members of religious minority communities, and to promote religious tolerance."

In 2009, the government introduced affirmative action for minorities—5 percent of all federal employment—and designated Aug. 11 a holiday to celebrate minorities, who comprise 3.7 percent of the country's population of 180 million. But the government also distanced itself from Taseer over the blasphemy laws controversy. It is for this reason that Bhatti, who never gave up on his position that the laws be reviewed, was a surprise inclusion in the smaller federal cabinet that was announced in early February.

"I want to give witness through my actions and through even my life that I am a follower of Christ," Bhatti told The Christian Post in Washington, D.C., the same month. "That is why these death threats don't give me fear, but it gives me more commitment." His 88-year-old father had a heart attack when he heard of Taseer's killing on Jan. 4. He died a week later. "He knew that I was very close to Taseer and [that] I am also the target of extremists, so he could not bear that," said Bhatti. "My father used to encourage me a lot. He said that, 'I devoted you for this cause, for the Christian rights. And you should stand to give witness.' "

The jihadists already have another target in their sights. Like Taseer and Bhatti, Sherry Rehman, a former information minister and member of the National Assembly from the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party, has also been declared "fit to be killed" by the Taliban for her advocacy of legal reforms to prevent misuse of the blasphemy laws. Despite the threats, she has refused to leave the country. Stepped-up security is no guarantee of one's safety given that Taseer was killed by a policeman assigned to protect him. In his interview with the Post, Bhatti expressed as much. "I don't believe that bodyguards can save me after the assassination [of Taseer]. I believe in the protection from heaven, so I ask the people to pray," he said.

Pakistanis should pray for Bhatti—and for their dangerously darkening country.

No Country for Good Men

People are taking up the battle and getting killed what else you want us to do ?
Principles are what one chooses to fight for. Have you asked yourself what goals you desire and what YOU are willing to sacrifice to achieve them? Have you sought out like-minded fellow-citizens to organize politically or if that is too dangerous sought to find or establish a place where it is safe to do so? Have you tried to be a leader, rather than look for a leader to follow?

Principles are what one chooses to fight for. Have you asked yourself what goals you desire and what YOU are willing to sacrifice to achieve them? Have you sought out like-minded fellow-citizens to organize politically or if that is too dangerous sought to find or establish a place where it is safe to do so? Have you tried to be a leader, rather than look for a leader to follow?

Hypothetical questions which keep changing with situation specially when your region is going through a terror wave and war brought upon outsiders as well as much as insiders.

btw nice questions the American people should ask these questions from themselves when they question why majority in the world hate them due to their policies

Back
Top Bottom