What's new

Pakistani medicines popular in Nigeria

That's the number for exports to the rest of the world.

Do you have any numbers for Nigeria ????

Edit:

lsXd8Zi.jpg

7pC8MhC.jpg
no i don't

Why does every thread become a competition of WHO IS BETTER?

The thread is a report that PAKISTANI MEDS or MEDS made in Pakistan are becoming popular in Nigeria...WHY DID INDIA butt itself in?! :blink:

Am no expert on this issue but it sounds a bit like coca cola being under licence in pakistan and then being exported to another country......coca cola USA is the the real one that gains in the whole transaction.
But still its an essential step towards a pakistani company being able to eventually have enough experience to invent there own drugs.

My friend, what Im alluding to is...are there any Pakistani origin drugs (ie. researched and developed in Pakistan) that have become popular in Nigeria that this news is referring to or are we speaking of the quality of generic drugs manufactured in Pakistan?

In addition, I havent seen much drug innovation coming out of Pakistan in the recent decade, nor have I heard of a Pharma company in line with say brands like Dr.Reddy's etc.
Ill do my own google search since we are on topic, but since you're close to the source, thought you could help educate me quicker...

Thanks in advance...

The latter guaranteed....Abbott is an American company of massive proportions..

just so you can sleep peacefully tonight, no there is not even a single 100% Pakistani company whose products are popular in Nigeria, its all multinationals

it must be a giant in terms of volume because of the cheap quality.
A baseless allegation. There is no reason to think the quality of these drugs will be sub-par. And yes it is a quantity/volume based industry and not an innovation based one however things are changing on this front as more and more international pharma giants are investing in Indian pharma R&D centres.

Well in all fairness there are many Pakistani products (I don't know about drugs) which are extremely popular in Southern Africa. They are generally of great quality and the costs generally is value for money. One extremely popular product was a brand of towels manufactured in Pakistan. It surpassed its reputation and beat the most popular brands. And then suddenly, it was never to be found on the shelfs again. Manufacturers advised us that they couldn't secure stocks from the supplier. I had the same experience with a Pakistani brand of rice which was a popular seller in many chain stores. For the past few months I noticed that the rice is no longer being stocked on shelves.

KARACHI: Pakistani medicines are very popular in Nigeria as the country holds a very big market for Pakistani pharma products with prospects of fetching substantial annual orders out of $1.1 billion imported annually by the Nigeria.
Pakistani medicines are rated at par with European countries as evident from the fact even the Indian doctors preferred to prescribe Pakistani medicines in Nigeria to their patients, said Ahmed Ali Sirohey Deputy Ambassador of Pakistan at Nigeria addressing leading Nigerian pharma industrialists led by Ahmed Ibrahim Yakasai.
Sarohi emphasised this was the right time for the Pakistani exporter to enter in the Nigerian market as after two to three years later it would be very difficult as the local manufacturers’ was coming to this business.
He informed the present Director General of NAFDAC (The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control was a Nigerian government agency under the Federal Ministry of Health that was responsible for regulating and controlling the manufacturer, importation, exportation, advertisement, distribution, sale and use of food, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, chemicals and packaged water.
He explained the people of Nigeria rating Pakistan equal to European countries even the Indian doctors preferred to prescribe Pakistani medicines. He again accentuated to the audience to visit Nigeria and see how big opportunity was waiting for them.
He said lots of Indian and Chinese companies were doing business and now European also entered to capture this big market.
He assured his assistance and services were always available the Pakistani exporters.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

the thread would have rested in peace w/o this bolded line!!!!

Well in all fairness there are many Pakistani products (I don't know about drugs) which are extremely popular in Southern Africa. They are generally of great quality and the costs generally is value for money. One extremely popular product was a brand of towels manufactured in Pakistan. It surpassed its reputation and beat the most popular brands. And then suddenly, it was never to be found on the shelfs again. Manufacturers advised us that they couldn't secure stocks from the supplier. I had the same experience with a Pakistani brand of rice which was a popular seller in many chain stores. For the past few months I noticed that the rice is no longer being stocked on shelves.
@PlanetWarrior same goes with UK and EU...we get Pakistani bed sheets, comforter covers, clothes and towels costing more than those produced here! :blink: and yea...lately there has been a little prob with stock supply....

Last edited by a moderator:
@PlanetWarrior same goes with UK and EU...we get Pakistani bed sheets, comforter covers, clothes and towels costing more than those produced here! :blink: and yea...lately there has been a little prob with stock supply....

Why do Indians and Pakistanis make everything a "us versus them" thing?? The fact of the matter is that Pakistan is not some war drenched nation like Somalia in which the infrastructure and industries are practically non existent. And yes, India's manufacturing industries (including presumably the drug manufacturing industries) have surpassed Pakistan's but consideration must be given to the economical climate and opportunities offered in any single industry before comparison can be made.

An example which I can point out from my personal experience is basmathi rice. There are 3 main variants available in SADC countries which I work in. The Pakistani brand for some reason outcooks the Indian brand and the local South African brand (imported from Malaysia I think but packaged in SA) and is therefore much more popular here. As I indicated earlier. Pakistani brand towels were selling like hot sheets but unfortunately is currently unavailable. Clearly the economical climate in Pakistan made it more viable for manufacturers there to produce a good quality towel which was value for money. It doesn't make the Indian or some other nation variant inferior. It simply means that the consumer has identified this product as value for money. I can only assume that in Nigeria the same view is being held about Pakistani manufactured drugs

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks to Allah, atleast something is of pakistan is recoginized worldwide.

well thats something i didnt know ... good step. we should develop this market more

Back
Top Bottom