What's new

Pakistani Diaspora Among the World's Largest

It seems a lack of paperwork, her mom was a longtime resident but not "Official," and Mari was not born here...it comes up often at UTEP.

What I infer from your posts about her is that you are in love, therefore do WHATEVER it takes! :smitten:

I wish you and her the best of luck!

Lol, thanks...and don't use this against me when we cross swords on PDF!

Lol, thanks...and don't use this against me when we cross swords on PDF!
Dude, I never attack anyone below the belt. I am a very sentimental person, I rather die for love than ego or misplaced nationalistic fervor! ;)

looks like Pakistani are more desperate to leave country. We are 8times more people than Pakistan but only 2times people leaving country.

before you come up with a really dumb logic just to let you know that Ukraine and Russia are ahead of Pakistan

It works both ways...a diaspora can mean there are less than ideal conditions at home...but can be very useful to improving these conditions (not just money...but as "ambassadors", pushing a national agenda)

Here's an ET piece by Aakar Patel on why Indian kids do well in spelling bees in US:

The annual ritual where Indians demonstrate they are smarter than all other Americans is the National Spelling Bee.

So dominant are the Indians in this school competition that they have been winners eight times in the last 10 years. If anything, this trend is becoming even more pronounced. Indians took the first spot in each of the last five years and all three top places in this year’s contest that finished on May 31.

What explains this total dominance of Indians, who are only one per cent of America’s population? It is hardly the case that we speak or write English better than Europeans or Americans. How are Indians so good with difficult words?

The online magazine Slate explored this subject in 2010 in their “Explainer” column. The writer concluded that the effort of an organisation called the North South Foundation was responsible.

This body of expatriate Indians conducted local spelling and other contests that made Indian children better. These contests were very competitive, therefore, giving Indians both experience and an edge when they took the national stage. The Slate writer doesn’t explore why it is that Indians are so enthusiastic about this particular contest in the first place.

The fact is that it plays to their strength, which is learning by rote. Memorising tracts is and has always been the Indian way of acquiring knowledge. It is also the way in which learning is examined in Indian schools. Answers to questions about history, geography and even science that aligned word for word with what the textbook said got you full marks when I was a child, and this hasn’t changed.

Indians have a word in each of their languages for this sort of learning. It is called ratta in Hindi, for instance, and gokh in Gujarati. It refers to reading, repeatedly reciting, and thereby, memorising whole pages of prose.

This may not be a good way of learning, if it is learning at all, but this has always been the case in India. Hindus developed a complex system of memorising and reciting the entire Rig Veda so that it would not be lost in the period before literacy.

Even today, Indian adults consider it an act of learning to be able to put on display their ability to be mug up. Stephen Cohen wrote about this in his book India: Emerging power. He remarked that there was a difference in styles when Indian and American diplomats negotiated. Indians took pride in recounting the minutiae of events in the past, dates and background and that sort of thing. This was done, Cohen felt, for no reason other than to show that there was mastery over the subject. Americans, on the other hand, were focussed only on the issue at hand.

It is true that all students, whether Indian or not, must memorise to be able to do well in America’s National Spelling Bee. A Washington Post report before the finals quoted one American child’s mother saying that her son had studied for 8,000 hours in preparation.
------------
This advantage Indians have of being able to find the time and motivation to commit things to memory is not particularly useful outside of things like spelling contests. It is of no use in thinking about problems and solutions. I would say it is the reason why the output of our colleges and universities is low on quality (India’s software body NASSCOM says nine out of 10 Indian engineering graduates who apply to one of the big four software firms are rejected as being unemployable).

So while India’s dominance of the National Spelling Bee puts on display its middle class values, it also showcases the problems of its system of education.

Why Indians win the Spelling Bee – The Express Tribune

You call what you posted $hit, and that's exactly what it is.

I have been living in Si Valley for over 30 years and I am far more familiar with what's going on here than the people who wrote the $hit you have posted.

Here's the truth:

1. Pakistani entrepreneurs are easily the third largest organized group in Si Valley after Chinese and Indians. Check out some of the names here: Charter Members : OPEN Silicon Valley

2. Several Pakistani founded companies have gone IPO or been acquired by bigger companies in the last decades.

3. Some of the Pakistani founders' names well known to the Si Valley tech community include Safi Qureshi (AST computers founder), Raghib Hussain (Cavium founder), Atiq Raza (NextGen founder), Rehan Jalil (WiChous), Jauhar Zaidi (Palmchip), Sohaib Abbasi (Oracle), Naveed Sherwani (OpenSilicon), Idris Kothari (VPNet, VIA Technologies), Ashar Aziz (FireEye), Nazim Kareemi (Canesta), Safwan Shah (Infonox), Faraz Hoddbhoy (PixSense), and many many more.
Looks like all these people went into hiding when the people were collecting data or are they invisible and can only be seen by their countrymen :lol:

Why don't you write the name of all the Pakistani born founders in the Silicon Valley,writing many many more doesn't help much ?

Looks like all these people went into hiding when the people were collecting data or are they invisible and can only be seen by their countrymen :lol:

Why don't you write the name of all the Pakistani born founders in the Silicon Valley,writing many many more doesn't help much ?

Yeah, sure! They are "hiding" in plain sight for anyone to see!

This $hit report you cite is Exhibit A of what is known as GIGO...Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Anyone can find the Pak entrepreneurs I named in Si Valley if they just look....a simple thing that the people who did this "$hit" report you cite failed to do.

This $hit report you cite is Exhibit A of what is known as GIGO...Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Anyone can find the Pak entrepreneurs I named in Si Valley if they just look....a simple thing that the people who did this "$hit" report you cite failed to do.
People behind the research paper

Vivek Wadhwa
Vivek Wadhwa is Vice President of Academics and Innovation at Singularity University, Arthur & Toni Rembe Rock Center for Corporate Governance fellow at Stanford University, a Visiting Scholar at the University of California-Berkley School of Information, Director of Research at the Center for Entrepreneurship and Research Commercialization, Exec in Residence at Duke University’s Pratt School of Engineering, Senior Research Associate at Harvard University’s Labor and Worklife Program, and Distinguished Visiting Scholar at Emory University’s Halle Institute of Global Learning. He helps students prepare for the real world; lectures in class; and leads groundbreaking research projects. He is also an advisor to several startup companies, a columnist for Bloomberg BusinessWeek, and a contributor to the popular tech blog TechCrunch. He also writes occasionally for several international publications. Prior to joining academia in 2005, Wadhwa founded two software companies. He holds an MBA from New York University and a B.A. in Computing Studies from the University of Canberra, in Australia
AnnaLee Saxenian
AnnaLee Saxenian is Dean and Professor in the School of Information and professor in the Department of City and Regional Planning at the University of California, Berkeley. Her most recent book, The New Argonauts: Regional Advantage in the Global Economy (Harvard University Press, 2006), explores how the "brain circulation" by immigrant engineers from Silicon Valley has transferred technology entrepreneurship to emerging regions in China, India, Taiwan, and Israel.
Her prior publications include Regional Advantage: Culture and Competition in Silicon Valley and Route 128 (Harvard University Press, 1994), Silicon Valley's New Immigrant Entrepreneurs (PPIC, 1999), and Local and Global Networks of Immigrant Professionals in Silicon Valley (PPIC, 2002). Saxenian holds a Doctorate in Political Science from MIT, a Master's in Regional Planning from the University of California, Berkeley, and a BA in Economics from Williams College.

Gary Gereffi
Gary Gereffi is Professor of Sociology and Director of the Center on Globalization, Governance & Competitiveness at Duke University, where he teaches courses in economic sociology, globalization and comparative development, and international competitiveness. He received his B.A. degree from the University of Notre Dame and his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from Yale University. Gereffi has published extensively on economic development and business-government relations in various parts of the world. His books include: Manufacturing Miracles: Paths of Industrialization in Latin America and East Asia (Princeton University Press, 1990); Commodity Chains and Global Capitalism (Praeger Publishers, 1994); Free Trade and Uneven Development: The North American Apparel Industry after NAFTA (Temple University Press, 2002); and The New Offshoring of Jobs and Global Development (International Institute of Labor Studies, 2006).
Rissing, Ben A.
Ben Rissing is a PhD student with the Sloan School of Management at the Massachusetts Institute for Technology (MIT). Within the Institute for Work and Employment Research, Rissing focuses on inter-firm governance relationships and international employment relationships. Ongoing research projects include an analysis of innovative multinational R&D strategies in the pharmaceutical industry and the study of global value chains in emerging economies.

I mean if we look at their credentials they are not that great as compared to a certain blog writer :coffee:

People behind the research paper

I mean if we look at their credentials they are not that great as compared to a certain blog writer :coffee:

The credentials of the people mean nothing if the results are so obviously flawed as I just showed you. These people relied on some minimum wage assistants to collect data and accepted it without question. That's why it's Garbage In, Garbage Out.

As to your snide comment about "certain blog writer", this "certain blog writer" has lived and breathed Silicon Valley for the last 30 years of his life as a technologist and entrepreneur and a pioneer in the PC and communications field.

Here's a DNA Op Ed on India story unraveling, sending young Indians to seek opportunities elsewhere:

These days, I tell my kids to go, and not look back. My eldest is at university in the US and my son is preparing for admissions. Make your lives in America, I tell them. For the first time in a quarter century I’m pessimistic about India. In fact, 20 summers ago I visited the US and found its mood so negative and in such contrast to newly-liberalised India’s optimism that it seemed the two countries were on different trajectories; and I believed the choice to live in India was the right one.

In 2004 the US National Intelligence Council projected the 2020 world scenario in a report called “Mapping the Global Future”. It mostly dwelled on how the rise of China and India would affect the US and the rest of the planet. It was optimistic about India’s prospects in the long term — though by 2050 our per capita GDP was projected to be only 20% of the USA’s, even though our total GDP might be second in the world; and demography and political development gave India more hope than China — but it still listed three economic growth prospects for India: good, bad and ugly. Here, bad meant middling along, always verging on greatness but never quite there; and ugly meant slipping back into a 1970s-type morass.

Midway between the year of the report and the year of its projections, it is not a stretch to say that India would be lucky to achieve the bad scenario outlined by the USA’s NIC. The irony is that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who, under the direction of the late PV Narasimha Rao, liberalised the economy and gladdened the middle-class’s heart, is the same man responsible for the despondency that has now set in. For it is now a commonplace to hear that there no longer is an “India story”.
-----------
Frankly, nothing is going to move in this country (except for prices, upwards) for the next few years. Not many of us expect that 2014 will bring us a purposeful and politically sound government; in fact, most of us expect a short-lived regional coalition. If political strategists are looking towards 2016 as a time when a proper agenda can be implemented, then governance between now and then will continue to be characterised by limbo.

And if we have this kind of drift for the next four years, during which time the demands of ordinary citizens increase — political action on land, water, power, education, health, the economy, etc — then do you blame some of us for losing hope and telling our children to jump ship? By the time India becomes a big power, if ever, my children will be grandparents. They might as well go out and enjoy life right now.

India sinking - Analysis - DNA

The Numbers are Wrong.

There aren't 700,000 Pakistanis in USA, its around 350,000 and there are 120,000 Pakistanis in Canada and not 300,000.

Where the hell is Dawn getting its facts from?

The Numbers are Wrong.

There aren't 700,000 Pakistanis in USA, its around 350,000 and there are 120,000 Pakistanis in Canada and not 300,000.

Where the hell is Dawn getting its facts from?

Where are your figures from?

Back
Top Bottom