What's new

PAKISTAN WIN WORLD CUP 2009!!

Well regards that ball tampering thing..it has only been reported in the NEWS and no where else so I dunno if it is credible.

keys - wait till your english media picks it up - they will have a field day and tonite, watch the TV camera's following Umar Gul everywhere he goes !!!

Last edited:
Too bad India went out, would've loved to see a match between Pakistan and India, and especially in Great Britan where there is a big Pakistani and Indian community, would be great fun and a great atmosphere.
The English simply outdid the Indians, you can't really say that luck was on the side of the English team, they just worked harder and used their chances/opportunities well.
Too bad for India, they learned some valuable lessons though and i'm sure they'll come back soon with a stronger and more experienced squad.

As for Pakistan, I do hope we get our revenge on England, but then again, we have the most unpredictable team, and seeing the Irish play today against SL, i'm not making any bets, still, I hope and think Pakistan will beat the sh!t out of Ireland, I think they got alot of confidence after destroying NZ.

my friend - how much stronger squad do you want - india is a star-studded team - i think there is more than meets the eye here - there may be dissention in the camp (did sehwag really, really have a gimp shoulder?)
as far as MS Dhoni goes, he is really taking things for "granted"

Younis hopes to 'crush' Ireland today

Monday, June 15, 2009
LONDON: Younis Khan's message to his troops was loud and clear as Pakistan faced yet another must-win match in the ICC World Twenty20 here at the Oval on Monday (today), writes Khalid Hussain.

"I've told my players to just go there and crush Ireland," said the Pakistan captain ahead of his team's Super Eights clash against Ireland that has revived the bitter memories of Pakistan's stunning defeat against the cricketing minnows in the opening rounds of the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean.

"We lost to Ireland in the World Cup and now it's time for us to get our revenge," said Younis who was one of the senior members of the Pakistan team that crashed to Ireland at Kingston's Sabina Park to get bundled out of the World Cup at the first hurdle.

Pakistan were brimming with confidence after outclassing New Zealand in a six-wicket triumph at the Oval on Saturday but they still needed to beat Ireland by a big margin to confirm their place in the tournament's semifinals.

It won't be an easy job as Ireland made it clear that they will be no push-overs by restricting Sri Lanka to 144-9 with medium pacer Alex Cusack taking 4-18 in three overs in a Super Eights match here at Lord's on Sunday. Ireland went on to lose the match by 9 runs.

Everything clicked for Pakistan in their match against New Zealand, which is why they are unlikely to make any changes to the line-up against Ireland.

Rookie opener Shahzaib Hasan scored a hurricane 35 on his debut while comeback star Abdul Razzaq was impressive with the new ball to bolster the Pakistan line-up.

In spite of a comfortable win over New Zealand, Pakistan were still trailing Sri Lanka and the Kiwis on the points table which means that they have to win by a substantial margin against Ireland to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Their group is still open because if New Zealand beat Sri Lanka, they will be in with a chance to qualify for the semifinals.

Younis said that Pakistan will take nothing for granted against Ireland, adding that his players will have to give their best to ensure a good result against the unpredictable Irish side.

Younis hopes to 'crush' Ireland today

Umar's reverse swing sparks new debate

Monday, June 15, 2009
From our correspondent

LONDON: Pakistan pacer Umar Gul on Saturday evening lit up the Oval with his accurate pace and an unmatched ability to reverse-swing the ball, leading Pakistan's cornered tigers to a big win over New Zealand.

But he also ignited a debate that has the potential to snowball into a major issue at the ongoing ICC World Twenty20. Is it legally possible for a bowler to achieve reverse swing after just twelve overs?

New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori raised that issue at a post-match press conference at The Oval, saying that he hasn't seen this much reverse swing in the history of Twenty20 cricket.

"I've never, ever seen someone reverse the ball after 12 overs," said Vettori. "He (Gul) managed to do that and that made a real difference," added the bewildered New Zealand captain.

"He obviously bowled really well. He got the ball to reverse, and I don't think in the history of Twenty20 cricket anyone's got the ball to reverse. That made a massive difference today, and with his pace and his accuracy as well as the ball reversing he was a difficult proposition."

He didn't say it in as many words but Vettori sounded as if he didn't think it was possible to get a considerably new ball to reverse-swing. "I really don't know (how). It's the first time I've ever seen it happen."

Gul was the sixth bowler used by Pakistan captain Younis Khan and only came into action in the 13th over of the New Zealand innings.

He scalped Scott Styris and Peter McGlashan off his third and fourth deliveries before uprooting Nathan McCullum's leg-stump in his next over. He finished off the job with the wickets of James Franklin and Kyle Mills off consecutive balls. Gul finished with 5-6 in three overs.

Just minutes after Vettori left the press conference room, a beaming Younis Khan tried to explain the reasons why Gul manages to do what other pacers are unable to achieve: reverse-swing the ball.

"Gul has a perfect action for reverse swing," said the Pakistan skipper. "He also has enough pace and can get the ball to reverse-swing very effectively."

Younis did not share Vettori's feeling that it's surprising to attain reverse swing with a ball that is just 12 overs old.

"The ball goes into the crowd and hits the walls and when it is back it is rough," said Younis. "This is not the first that he has done it. He also did well really well in the last World Twenty20."

There was enough ammunition for sports scribes following the comments from the rival captains with Vettori appearing completely foxed and Younis trying to play down the entire issue.

However, Gul was just celebrating his latest success in T20 cricket. He attributed his match-winning show to Pakistan's pace legends Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis.

"I have really developed my yorker by watching videos of Waqar and Wasim," he said. "They have really helped me."

"In T20, you have to be able to bowl the yorker, bouncer and the slower ball. Now I want to be the highest wicket-taker in the tournament. My captain just told me to go and get wickets and that's what I did."

Pakistan introduced the art of reverse swing in international cricket through pacers Sarfraz Nawaz and Imran Khan in the 1970s and early 1980s.

A generation later, the skill of making an old and battered ball move in the air in the opposite direction to conventional swing was developed into a highly effective weapon by the two Ws - Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis.

Gul, who owns three of the best top 10 analyses in Twenty20 cricket, is now the latest torch-bearer of the mysterious art.

The pacer, meanwhile, is hoping that he would continue playing his part in Pakistan's title campaign. "It's very important for all of us to give our best because we are here to win the title this time," he said referring to Pakistan's defeat in the final of the 2007 World Twenty20 to India in South Africa.

Umar's reverse swing sparks new debate

Ireland v Pakistan, ICC World Twenty20, The Oval

Pakistan out to "crush" Ireland

Osman Samiuddin

June 14, 2009

The return of Abdul Razzaq has added spice to Pakistan's already fiery bowling attack

Matches: Ireland v Pakistan at The Oval

Match Facts
Monday June 15 Start time 1330 local (1230 GMT)

Big Picture
Revenge will be one theme for sure. But bigger than that will be Pakistan's opportunity to advance to the semi-finals; Sri Lanka's narrow win over Ireland now means that any kind of Pakistan win against the Irish almost certainly sends them through to the semis (barring some outlandish scenarios) on net run-rate.

If they do get there, it will be some achievement given that they have yet to hit their peak and that nobody is really sure where that peak may be. But their bowling was always a threat and once they got the England game out of the way, it has mostly lived up to its reputation. The return of Abdul Razzaq has livened things up and with Umar Gul, Shahid Afridi and Saeed Ajmal, they were lively in any case.

The batting is still a worry and even a 100-run target against New Zealand entailed losses. In particular, concerns centre on the form of Misbah-ul-Haq and Shoaib Malik; powerhouses in the last World Cup, they have scored 144 runs between them here, just six more than Younis Khan and at vastly inferior strike rates. Incidentally, Pakistan's press has been rife with rumours of a growing rift between the pair and the captain; Abdul Qadir's claims about Malik does nothing to dispel the speculation.

The Irish, as ever, will do their best to exploit any such issue to their advantage. They may be playing only for pride but for an Associate nation in a big tournament that is often the main motivation. Few have been unimpressed by them and only inexperience cost them the chance of an upset over Sri Lanka. They will also need no reminding of the events of the 2007 50-over World Cup. Theoretically, if they can beat Pakistan in a 50-over game, then in a Twenty20 game, the chances increase.

Form guide
(last five matches, most recent first)

Pakistan WLWLW

Ireland LLLW N/R

Watch out for
Umar Gul is peaking for Pakistan at just the right time and his world-best figures against New Zealand means he is now joint leading wicket-taker in the tournament. A little stutter early on has been overcome and that frighteningly accurate yorker is back.

Ireland's opening bowlers Boyd Rankin and Trent Johnston bowled fine spells against Sri Lanka and if conditions are murky overhead, Pakistan's batsmen will not much like their swing, seam and bounce.

Team news

Given the nature of their win over New Zealand, Pakistan are unlikely to make any changes to their XI.

Pakistan (probable) 1 Shahzaib Hassan, 2 Kamran Akmal (wk), 3 Shoaib Malik, 4 Misbah-ul-Haq, 5 Younis Khan (capt), 6 Abdul Razzaq, 7 Shahid Afridi, 8 Fawad Alam, 9 Umar Gul, 10 Mohammad Aamer, 11 Saeed Ajmal

Niall O'Brien aggravated his ankle injury against Sri Lanka but the way he is, he'd probably have had to lost a leg altogether to miss a match.

Ireland (probable) 1 William Porterfield (capt), 2 Gary Wilson, 3 Niall O'Brien (wk), 4 Andre Botha, 5 Kevin O'Brien, 6 John Mooney, 7 Alex Cusack, 8 Trent Johnston, 9 Kyle McCallan, 10 Regan West, 11 Boyd Rankin

Stats and trivia

4 - Number of Pakistan players taking part tomorrow who played in the defeat to Ireland in the 2007 World Cup

7 - Number of Irish players taking part tomorrow who played in the same match

Quotes

"We can't wait to play Ireland. My advice to the boys about that game? Just crush them."
Younis Khan is crystal clear about what he wants.

"He didn't even ask for a runner. It was never in his head."
William Porterfield on Niall O'Brien after Ireland's wicketkeeper turned over his already-injured right ankle

Osman Samiuddin is Pakistan editor of Cricinfo

I'm calling it right now, Sri Lanka vs South Africa final (That is if they don't face off in the semis).

PS - Absolutely gutted we lost.

I'm calling it right now, Sri Lanka vs South Africa final (That is if they don't face off in the semis).

PS - Absolutely gutted we lost.

yep! they are the form teams but form teams can also lose!

on india - they had the best team!

Last edited:
Alam: It's disappointing

Team manager hits back at ball tampering suggestions

Last updated: 15th June 2009

Gul: Centre of the suggestions

Pakistan team manager Intikhab Alam has claimed that suggestions of ball tempering are "disappointing".

Umar Gul's record international Twenty20 figures of 5-6 against New Zealand at The Oval were called into question by the Black Caps, who had asked match officials to clarify they had been achieved fairly.

Officials, though, will not take the matter further after assuring New Zealand they had no concerns over Pakistan's conduct.

"It is disappointing to hear these things," said Alam. "Umar is a fantastic bowler.

"Not everyone can bowl a reverse ball.

"You've got to have a special ability to do that. He's quick and his action makes a lot of difference."

T20 debacle: What cost India the game

New Delhi: A three-run loss at Lord's to England on Sunday sealed India's fate in the World T20 championship and made sure that there will be a new T20 world champion come June 21.

A day after the shocking defeat, CNN-IBN's Nishant Arora dissects the mistakes that cost India the game:

Dhoni's first blunder as skipper was to yet again not complete the quota of overs for his best new ball bowlers. RP Singh delivered a wicket and went for only 13 in his three overs, yet he didn't get a fourth over to bowl.

Despite going for 26 in his three overs, Zaheer Khan's experience was too invaluable to ignore. Why did the skipper not turn to him instead of handing over the ball to Ishant Sharma, who has generously given runs throughout the tournament? Ishant went for 36 in his full quota of four overs.

India's third mistake in the field was allowing two wide balls by Harbhajan Singh to sail to the boundary, not once but twice. As the senior spin bowler, it was a cardinal sin by Harbhajan to bowl two such shocking deliveries - first in the 18th over and then in the final over. Those 10 runs cost India dearly.

Dhoni apologises to fans on India's loss

Dhoni effigy burnt in hometown

Tell us: Should Dhoni quit as captain?

The decision to bat Suresh Raina at number three in the batting line-up despite his obvious weakness against the short ball was also hard to understand. With the asking rate (required run rate) not too stiff, could the skipper have given himself the role of seeing the initial England burn out and kept Raina in the dugout for an assault on the spinners?

Then came the game breaker – Ravindar Jadeja sent in to bat ahead of Yuvraj Singh at number four. Jadeja was simply unable to find the boundaries. He consumed six of the 20 overs on offer, making just 25 with one four leaving Yuvraj, Dhoni and Yusuf Pathan too much to do in the end.

T20 debacle: What cost India the game

todays match will be a gud one.
if we win it that would mean we will be playin england or windies in the semi finals. This increase our chances to reach final.

The match is gonna start in just an hour and 5 mins.
I really can't wait, i'm hoping Indian fans will be there aswell alongside Pakistani fans. :tup:

I really can't wait, i'm hoping Indian fans will be there aswell alongside Pakistani fans. :tup:

i dont know which team other indian's wd support....but i'm surely gonna support a subcontinental team ie either pak or sl in their respective games......

I think they will be on Pakistan's side. U could easily figure it out in yesterday's match between Sri Lanka and Ireland. Majority of Indians supported Sri Lanka. So dont be surprised if u see Indians supporting Pakistan for a lot of Indians differences between India and Pakistan is not as big an issue as differences with the west.
:cheers::cheers:

These are old tactics of Newzeland, Australian and English team against Asian teams.
When they lose they cry and blame Asian team for ball tampering or cry that the bowler action was illegal.

They cant digest skills of Asian fast bowlers (Asif, Gull, Shabir Ahmad, Shoaib, Waseem, Waqar, Pathan, Zoysa) and spinners (Murli, Sqlain ,Saeed Ajmal, Mushi, Harbhajan singh, Kumblay etc).

Good thing was that the match referee has turned down the New Zealand request.
Not sure about New Zealand but Australians and to a lesser extent English too seem to have some problem with good skills of Asian players especially bowlers....but to hell with them after all we are the ones who drive this sport:flame:

Back
Top Bottom