What's new

Pakistan Successfully Testfires Cruise Missiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true. Babur is pretty much of the same dimensions as the US Tomahawk LACM. The max range on the Tomahawk is approx. 1500km. The issue is designing and using the available real estate efficiently enough. This will take time and refinement. There is a relationship between having more fuel to burn and the size of the missile, however CMs of the same size as the Babur have range greater than 1000km.

Similar dimension would not gurantee similar performance. Tomhawks achieving such a range for their size can be reasoned out to a very efficient engine.

If Babur is of similar size as tomhawks and is still able to only travel 500km compared to 1500, can we conclude it is underperformaning? The engine on the tomhawks would be way better compared to Babur and hence can achieve such a range.

Therefore it means either Babur should have engine comparable to Tomhawks or increase the amount of fuel/decrease warhead weight.
Hence i assume there could be size increase required in case the range has to extend till 1k,provided that Babur doesnot get engines as Tomhawk.

The missile according to sources has an upgrade in engine(to increase it from 500Km to 750Km), hence Pakistan is improving it, as most pointed out in size comparison most are almost similar, and know the US tomahawk went through alot of upgrades hence Babur will go through as well, no one in Pakistan is saying the war head was reduced and neither do I believe so either, let's no come to conclusions without facts, cause so far it's an upgrade according to Pakistani sources. What we need to work on is the engine to make them more fuel efficient while increasing it's range.

Similar dimension would not gurantee similar performance. Tomhawks achieving such a range for their size can be reasoned out to a very efficient engine.

If Babur is of similar size as tomhawks and is still able to only travel 500km compared to 1500, can we conclude it is underperformaning? The engine on the tomhawks would be way better compared to Babur and hence can achieve such a range.

Therefore it means either Babur should have engine comparable to Tomhawks or increase the amount of fuel/decrease warhead weight.
Hence i assume there could be size increase required in case the range has to extend till 1k,provided that Babur doesnot get engines as Tomhawk.

Yes we could assume it to be underperforming currently thus it is not operationalized as of yet. Once the desired range is achieved, the LACM will become operational. There are very many things and of those potentially more powerful propulsion system is one option. I am not an insider on this program, but have read that the goal has always been to achieve a 1000km range.

There goes my belief in your unbaised analysis

Oh No! :lol: (We are all biased my friend. Its all about knowing that you are biased and that you try to balance it as much as you can)

My point is valid.... Pakistan should not follow slavishly in a tit for tat manner. They should look to their requirements rather than have a pissing contest.

There are numerous problems with a supersonic missile which have been covered in a another thread.

Oh No! :lol: (We are all biased my friend. Its all about knowing that you are biased and that you try to balance it as much as you can)

My point is valid.... Pakistan should not follow slavishly in a tit for tat manner. They should look to their requirements rather than have a pissing contest.

There are numerous problems with a supersonic missile which have been covered in a another thread.

Its not about copying india its about diversyfing our missile arsenal thats it and i think if india has a better missile system than us i have no problem with us copying them at all.

Hatf VII Babur: more than being at par

By

Humera Niazi

Terrain-hugging, pinpoint precision, potentially invisible to radar, the Hatf VII Babur cruise missile was successfully tested by Pakistan on August 11. This has not only proved that Pakistan excels in defence capability but has also served to make this reality accepted at the international level. The missile has been launched in the following context:

(i) An Indian quest for achieving advanced weapons systems with the recent agreement for cooperation between US and India.

(ii) India's recent tirade of falsely maligning Pakistan's nuclear potential at Washington.

It was only recently that India entered into a defence and nuclear agreement with the United States. This has enabled India to achieve advance ballistic missile defence systems. Hence India, which is already on an arms-acquisition spree, through this development is out to create a strategic imbalance in the South Asian region. In addition to affecting Indo-Pak relations, this development has also caused concern among other countries of the region. A fully accelerated arms race has been commenced on India's part. What is the reason for India to further build its defence muscle? Is this a regional or a country-specific venture? In the Pakistani perspective, the only factor that is important is that Pakistan has every right to protect its sovereignty.

President Pervez Musharraf has once again stated the Pakistan's resolve to meet the emerging challenges in the neighbourhood, making it clear that "Pakistan's security was not negotiable."

According to Jane's Defence Weekly, Pakistan's development of this Cruise Missile provides its arsenal with a significant boost. Commenting on the issue, the US State Department said Pakistan's cruise missile test "meets the criteria" of not being "provocative" or "threatening." When the State Department spokesman was informed that Pakistan did not inform India about it, he maintained positively, "It was done in a way that was not alarming and was not a surprise."

Pakistan's position on this becomes clear as the recent agreement between India and Pakistan only refers to ballistic missiles and not cruise missiles. It is also said that Babur is an air-breathing missile and therefore belongs to a different class of weapons. Another significant aspect of the testing of Babur is that it counters the Indian plan of acquiring advanced anti-missile system from the US and Israel. That is, even if they acquire these systems. In the offing were the acquisition of Israeli Aero and US Patriots. After Pakistan's launching of Babur cruise missile, the Indian quest for anti-missile system appears to be another story.

The successful testing of Babur has also indicated that there was an Indian intelligence lapse. For it appears that New Delhi had no idea that Pakistan could develop a cruise missile indigenously. This is apparent from the recent refusal of the Indian government to bring the cruise missile system under the missile control regime.

The successful launch of Babur is also a strong rejoinder to Indian lies and utterances with regard to the effectiveness of Pakistan's command and control structure. During Dr Manmohan Singh's recent visit to the US, India made an effort to create a misconception that Pakistan's nuclear weapons could fall into the hands of extremists. But the US has given a positive response to the successful test firing of Babur.

In its recent offensive in Washington, India appears to have broached a serious matter but with irresponsibility because of its irrational ideas. New Delhi is pointing at a situation which does not exist. In this context, it is apt to cite an analysis by a Canadian journalist, Eric Margolis of The Toronto Sun, who observes that India's "shaky" nuclear command and control system further increases the risk of nuclear conflict in the subcontinent. Pakistan, he points out, is believed to have a "more reliable and highly professional" command and control system.

Margolis in his article mentions with praise the achievement of Babur missile. He states, "Development of this cruise missile is a significant achievement for Pakistani defence technology." The writer further maintains that the Babur missile poses an even greater threat to India than Pakistan's 2000 KM ranged Shaheen II ballistic missile. He says that "Babur's advanced radar mapping technology and engine puts it in the class of western and Russian cruise missiles."

Credit goes to Pakistani scientists and engineers for this indigenous achievement. India had tested the BrahMos missile with the help of Russia. Babur has a greater range than BrahMos and is equally capable of being mounted on platforms at sea, land and air.

Babur missile is a timely boost for Pakistan's defence image. It comes at a time when Pakistan is to receive the oddity of two F-16s, whereas India aspires for ballistic missile defence system. Babur could be seen as the balancing act. Pakistan is a step ahead because of its indigenous efforts.

Pakistan's stance is for peace and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz has stated that "Pakistan is against nuclear proliferation and as a responsible country it will continue its efforts to promote peace in the region." It is India that started the nuclear race in South Asia in the seventies with the Smiling Buddha, its first test fission explosion on May 18, 1974. Hence India should also take the lead in making South Asian region a nuclear free zone and work positively on this course.

Its not about copying india its about diversyfing our missile arsenal thats it and i think if india has a better missile system than us i have no problem with us copying them at all.

As I have pointed out there are pro's and con's to every system. How many other countries operate a supersonic cruise missile? And in what role? in a naval role it may be of use. But currently the navy needs to sort out a few more ships. On land a supersonic cruise missile is not quite as effective as the are hills and things in the way :lol:

this is the effectivness of the patriot against cruise missiles, during the iraq war

Although U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell characterized North Korea's February 24 launch of two anti-ship cruise missiles into the Sea of Japan as "fairly innocuous," there are good reasons to heed North Korean cruise missile activities.

The chief one became evident on March 20, nearly 5,000 miles west of the Sea of Japan, in Iraq. There, amidst several Iraqi ballistic missile attacks against U.S. invasion forces--most of which were intercepted by Patriot anti-missile batteries--Iraq launched a cruise missile of roughly the same vintage as North Korea's.

Flying low to avoid detection by Patriot radars, the cruise missile landed dangerously close to a Marine encampment in Kuwait.

This successful penetration of American defenses was not a freak occurrence. The Iraqis succeeded once again in the early morning hours of March 28, when another Chinese-provided cruise missile hit--without warning--close enough to a Kuwaiti shopping mall to shatter windows.

Three more cruise missiles were fired into Kuwait on the evening of April 2. Despite the fact that these cruise missile attacks did not cause any casualties, they demonstrate forcefully that ballistic missiles are not the only means of long-range delivery by which countries might threaten the United States and its regional partners.

It also points to the unique challenges of detecting and shooting down low-flying cruise missiles without doing the same to our own or allied aircraft.

Uh! Please read up on the sucess rate of PAC-3 batteries.

success against ballistic missiles as it also says in the article.
point is those cruise missiles were not detected and shot down and they were old cruise missiles

thax bro:tup:
and this missile is india's own technology
and did china help us on this program

You need to put question marks on questions.........

The missile you are refering to is primarily Russian with some Indian input.

The Babur I believe is a reverse engineered version of a Tomahawk which went down when the U.S. was attacking Afghanistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom