What's new

Pakistan scores a diplomatic brownie point: Kayani gets Russia to 'ignore'

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
kayani-154251-156274-156306-640x480.jpg

Pakistan army chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has scored a diplomatic brownie point over India with his three-day trip to Moscow from October 6.

Russian defence minister Anatoly Serdyukov postponed a high-level annual meeting with defence minister A.K. Antony in New Delhi so that he could meet Kayani in Moscow.
Earlier, Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov, who was to visit India on October 4, landed in Islamabad instead to hold talks with the Pakistan foreign minister.

The two visits have caused some discomfiture in New Delhi. Russia is an ally and India's largest defence supplier. Kayani's visit was much more than drawing a wedge between India and Russia.

He wants Russia to partially fill the vacuum that will be created with the withdrawal of the US-led Nato forces from Afghanistan in 2014.

Russia does not have borders with Afghanistan but is concerned about the spread of religious extremism through the Central Asian republics. Russia also sees Pakistan as a key regional player.

The erstwhile Cold War foes seem to have agreed to greater military ties with agreements expected to be signed soon, government sources said.
Russia had in 2009 pointedly ignored Kayani's wish list for helicopters, night-vision goggles and electronic warfare equipment. It has been wary of selling arms to Pakistan for fear of irking India.
It is not known how Russia reacted to Kayani's latest list. Kayani's Moscow visit was finalised two months ago.

The details of his meetings with the military brass weren't publicised. Defence analyst Maria Sultan believes a Pakistan-Russia partnership can change the regional scenario.
Lt-Gen (retd) Hamid Gul, former ISI director-general, believes it's the first step towards forming a Pakistan-Russia-China block - a move Kayani would like to take credit for.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahom...gnore-old-friend-India.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Indians with all their money and defence deal cant offer russia the space in great game that Pakistan can by allowing it to partner it in Afghanistan.This indians in other russia threads will come to realise how fast sand has slipped out of their hands.

Indians with all their money and defence deal cant offer russia the space in great game that Pakistan can by allowing it to partner it in Afghanistan.This indians in other russia threads will come to realise how fast sand has slipped out of their hands.

If one thinks that it is Indian money vs Pakistan partnership in Afghanistan, then he/she is sadly mistaken. It is the SCO vs Indian money - nothing more, nothing less. But Russia will not pull the trigger first against Indian partnership. Russia willl build her relationship with Pakistan but would wait for how India's foreign policy shapes up along with its economy in the next decade.

Brownie point ? :blink:

"Russia does not have borders with Afghanistan but is concerned about the spread of religious extremism through the Central Asian republics. Russia also sees Pakistan as a key regional player. "

There are many aspects of this change in stance. Its too soon to say anything concrete as it will take many years to see the block mentioned here and thinking that India won't meddle in between will be too much optimism.

The shift in region is not that fast. Things will remain for some time to come. Role of US and Russia in SA is changing. I won't expect any alliance for Afghanistan before end of 2014 except few defense deals.

The same minister also said there is no policy change of Kremlin for not arming the foes of India. So diplomatic victory, I see it as a first step with miles to go. Waiting for Indian reaction on diplomatic front.

Brownie point ? :blink:

"Russia does not have borders with Afghanistan but is concerned about the spread of religious extremism through the Central Asian republics. Russia also sees Pakistan as a key regional player. "

There are many aspects of this change in stance. Its too soon to say anything concrete as it will take many years to see the block mentioned here and thinking that India won't meddle in between will be too much optimism.

The shift in region is not that fast. Things will remain for some time to come. Role of US and Russia in SA is changing. I won't expect any alliance for Afghanistan before end of 2014 except few defense deals.

The same minister also said there is no policy change of Kremlin for not arming the foes of India. So diplomatic victory, I see it as a first step with miles to go. Waiting for Indian reaction on diplomatic front.

My Dear krait.
I am agreed with your viewpoint more or less and just want to add that in these type of visits there are always few things in the dark which are not disclosed and only time will reveal them afterwards. so we should wait and see. what do u say?

If one thinks that it is Indian money vs Pakistan partnership in Afghanistan, then he/she is sadly mistaken. It is the SCO vs Indian money - nothing more, nothing less. But Russia will not pull the trigger first against Indian partnership. Russia willl build her relationship with Pakistan but would wait for how India's foreign policy shapes up along with its economy in the next decade.
Sorry to say but india has shown its cards too early under the PMship of novice MMS who has no idea about geopolitics.First shot was already fired by indians hence the Russian bear woke up from its hibernation and now making its move.

My Dear krait.
I am agreed with your viewpoint more or less and just want to add that in these type of visits there are always few things in the dark which are not disclosed and only time will reveal them afterwards. so we should wait and see. what do u say?
Agreed. I am just pointing out what few Pakistani thinks. They are way oo emotional about certain things. You are right about dark things discussed between Pakistan and Russia, same happens between India and Pakistan too. All the rivals, which may seem from outside, has back channel diplomacy. That's why its too early to say anything.

Hope you don't feel offended for me targeting the other poster.

Cheers.

Sorry to say but india has shown its cards too early under the PMship of novice MMS who has no idea about geopolitics.First shot was already fired by indians hence the Russian bear woke up from its hibernation and now making its move.

That has woken up Russia to strengthen SCO and build a relationship with Pakistan but it will not show its cards yet. In case, folks like NM become PM, NM will not easily forget how US denied him visa. Maybe he would think about building a partnership with Russia. That is one reason why Russia will not pull the trigger yet. It has too much at stake. But if India decides to throw its lot with US, then Russia will strive to strenghten SCO. If India grows economically as projected in the next decade but stays neutral, Russia will want to be a equal partner with India against Chinese axis on one side and US axis on the other side. But this is just my view and there are various ways it might turn up.(and lets not forget Japan or Brazil - so there are so many players in the mix). That is why I stated the next decade will shape up the world order. Right now it is murky waters all around.

My Dear krait.
Let me point out one thing wrt pakistan where diplomacy over foreign policy is quite different from the other countries.When the COAS makes the moves in Pakistan on Foreign policy that can be counted as major diplomatic visit and if a civilian govt makes the vist it can be counted as just like any other visit or just the courtesy call.Now people are intelligent enough to guess that Gen.Kiyani's visit to Russia is not mere courtesy call .Pakistan has made major diplomatic shift in the region now before testing waters and breaking ice through the previous visits of civilian leaders to russia.

That has woken up Russia to strengthen SCO and build a relationship with Pakistan but it will not show its cards yet. In case, folks like NM become PM, NM will not easily forget how US denied him visa. Maybe he would think about building a partnership with Russia. That is one reason why Russia will not pull the trigger yet. It has too much at stake. But if India decides to throw its lot with US, then Russia will strive to strenghten SCO. If India grows economically as projected in the next decade but stays neutral, Russia will want to be a equal partner with India against Chinese axis on one side and US axis on the other side. But this is just my view and there are various ways it might turn up.(and lets not forget Japan or Brazil - so there are so many players in the mix). That is why I stated the next decade will shape up the world order. Right now it is murky waters all around.
They both wont sow up their cards too early like indians 10 yrs under UPA.

As for Modi..He will never be PM.only if wishes were horses...................

India can be partner with USA but never be an ally like Pakistan is/was to usa....Past 10 yrs of usa moves has given proof of it.bit hint USA foreign policy still guided by the ideas of Brezenski and HK.

Rest are all wishes ..........

India can be partner with USA but never be an ally like Pakistan is/was to usa....Past 10 yrs of usa moves has given proof of it.bit hint USA foreign policy still guided by the ideas of Brezenski and HK.

Who on earth wants to be an ally ?

India's only ally is India itself. It is focusing on itself.

Allies are seasonal and no one should know this better than Pakistan.

They both wont sow up their cards too early like indians 10 yrs under UPA.

As for Modi..He will never be PM.only if wishes were horses...................

As I said in my previous post, it is all individual opinions. Nothing is concrete. Lets agree to disagree and see what future has in stake.

Meanwhile welcome back from being pink.

Only time can say on how this partnership will develop, the only thing that I dont understand is some of the Pak members cry out loud against the Russians on the defence threads on the very same forum and the same come out here and shout hurray on threads like this.

Indians kids here brag "Oh oh we have alot of projects with Russia" blah blah...While Russians don't give a sh!t about Indian Defence Minister and instead prefer to meet General Kiyani!!! :lol:

Bhartiyon ki aukat hi yeh hai...

Wow, man they gave you such an honour. He prefers to meet with a Pakistani. Now I assume for the next 30 days you trolls will use this to assert your superiority. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom