What's new

Pakistan risks sanctions over Iran gas deal: WSJ

ALOK31

BANNED
Reaction score
pipeline_gas_afp-file_670-1.jpg

WASHINGTON: Pakistan risks imposition of stringent US and UN sanctions if proposed Iran-Pakistan pipeline deal goes through, Wall Street Journal says in a report.

“Washington has made it clear that it will impose economic sanctions on Islamabad if it begins to buy gas from Iran. Besides, the UN mandated sanctions on any trade with the oil-rich country,” the newspaper said.

In a written reply to The Wall Street Journal, the US embassy in Islamabad reiterated the US position and said: “Our policy on Iran is well known. We have made it clear to all of our interlocutors around the world that it is in their interests to avoid activities that may be prohibited by United Nations sanctions or sanctionable under US law.”

Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf said on Tuesday that the pipeline would be a “big leap forward” in resolving country’s crippling power crisis.

The WSJ says: “While the pipeline could bring relief to energy-starved Pakistan, analysts say that the deal reveals more about the geopolitical dynamics between the US, Pakistan and Iran than about the government’s commitment to address the energy
crisis.”

Pakistan risks sanctions over Iran gas deal: WSJ | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

If anyone remember, I told this that it might occur. They have solid reason to do so. They don't have to go to UN. Just impose sanctions from their own side, US and European nations.

What will Pakistan govt. do in this case ?

P.S No chest thumping. Only rational points.

Perhaps this is why the PPP government has chosen this time to approve the contract, this way, it will please those in Pakistan who want the pipeline to go through, it will please Iran and it will please US - because while incurring sanctions, AND not going through with the pipeline will create problems for the new incoming government, which I am confident will not be a PPP government

China is going to buy Oil from Iran and will get it through Gwadar. Will the 'next superpower' get sanctions ?

China and India are already in exceptions list. US will arm twist Pakistan but it will be early to say what will be the Pakistan govt.s stance.

US is also funding few energy projects in Pakistan.

Perhaps this is why the PPP government has chosen this time to approve the contract, this way, it will please those in Pakistan who want the pipeline to go through, it will please Iran and it will please US - because while incurring sanctions, AND not going through with the pipeline will create problems for the new incoming government, which I am confident will not be a PPP government

I was thinking on the same lines. If it comes out to be positive, PPP will take credit and if there is anything negative, it will for sure create problems for the next government.

Even better.... Have the Americans put pressure on you ?

They complained for a while, and then gave up.

Same with the "currency manipulation" complaint they had. According to them, Chinese "currency manipulation" caused millions and millions of American citizens to lose their jobs.

But when push came to shove, they refused to officially label us as a currency manipulator, meaning that they would not sanction us.

BBC News - US says China not a currency manipulator

U.S. declines to name China currency manipulator | Reuters

It will be a welcome move and let pakistan help stand on its own feet wiothout the aid, major part of which goes to corrupt politicians. Most importantly it will help us breakaway from US influence, which alone wold be worth it.

Could not agree more --HOWEVER, you will note that without substantial improvement in Pakistan's internal security and policy cohesion, the Chinese have signaled that they have no appetite to take on the US and her allies. This means Pakistan will for practical purposes alone on one hand and Iran will be alone on the other - two easy marks - The Pakistani talks big, but he is not up to the challenge, the US knows this, everyone knows this.

So, unless this election produces a result where PTI not only wins big but wins big in all provinces, this pipeline wll be more pipe dream than anything else - now don't get me wrong, I'm no supporter of PTI or Imran (Only because of his pro Taliban stand), however, Pakistan needs a shift away from PPP and PML-N - and I strongly suspect that PML-N is being prepared by our US and Saudi friends to form the next government.

We already buy the majority of Iranian oil exports.
They can't sanction China at any cost. China knows that well.
Can some one tell major exports of Pakistan and their customers in US and EU ?

Can Pakistan's economy handle Economic sanctions especially now ?

Turkey and China are also helping Pakistan to get into NSG waiver through back door. Both nations are the ones who are helping Pakistan.

Saying is different from doing - in politics people say many things they have no intention of carrying through

Tomorrow if the Iranian and the US make a breakthrough, well, things can be different and US interests may be among those who will seek to invest in the pipe line and instead of going to China, it will most certainly go to India

Back
Top Bottom