What's new

Pakistan Navy commissions PNS Zarrar

Israels tri-force nuclear detterant includes nuke tipped harpoon missiles for second strike.

Could Pakistan do this for surface comabatants and its submarines?

Harpoon Block II which primarily is an Antiship misisle that pakistan Acquired...Surface Ship lauch / Submarine Launch and Air Launch types.

Babur Outperforms the Harpoon for being a contender for nuclear tipped.

Israels tri-force nuclear detterant includes nuke tipped harpoon missiles for second strike.

Could Pakistan do this for surface comabatants and its submarines?

Not sure if Pakistan has the capability for the modification of Harpoons, but IMO (naval) Babur would server better since it has the capability of being nuclear tipped.

Pakistan’s second strike will be way of cruise missile launched via submarine. The project is shrouded in secrecy and even with my close contacts in the Navy it is hard to gain a great deal of information. What is known that extensive work is going on with a modified version of Babur. The admiral was asked about this in a recent interview and he quickly skipped the question by saying that the Army and Air force have their version we are working on ours.

As for surface vessel launches forget about it due to size restrictions that won’t be solved by the arrival of the F22 or Milgem either. But Pakistan is in talks with procuring large ships around the 6,000 ton displacement and in good numbers. There is also plans for frigate production in the near future.

These are very exciting times for the Navy and it will be a force far greater than anyone could have envisaged and indeed a far cry from the defensive force of the past years. I love the Pakistani Navy it boasts one of the greatest military feats achieved in modern day history under (retired Vice Admiral) Ahmed Tasnim.

Waz,

I am confused as to why the frigates Pakistan is acquiring (potentially acquiring) willnot be able to launch cruise missiles, but our subs will. I would think that size restrictions would be more of an issue with the subs rather than the frigates.

Waz,

I am confused as to why the frigates Pakistan is acquiring (potentially acquiring) willnot be able to launch cruise missiles, but our subs will. I would think that size restrictions would be more of an issue with the subs rather than the frigates.

Correct... I agree

Frigates of 3000 Ton class can easily fire Babur missiles, but having said that babur can also be fired from Submarines and developement of Naval version is under way for Babur, Babur in its status right now is only available for Frigates.

Waz,

I talked about the F22 and Milgem bro not the larger ships we are looking for. Yes it is possible to launch from larger displacement vessels which I did mention.

Submarines are the most viable naval delivery system as they permit surprise not available to a surface warship. Space can be an issue but with the advent of many tailored anti ship missiles the scope of producing a SLCM that is fired through torpedo tubes became greater. You already have the SS-N-2, 3M-54/14, TLAM and the better example of the Popeye launched via Israel’s dolphin class submarines. The drawback is that you have such missiles at the expense of torpedo payload hence the reason why the US navy’s favoured approach of using vertical or slant launch tubes for their missiles.

I talked about the F22 and Milgem bro not the larger ships we are looking for. Yes it is possible to launch from larger displacement vessels which I did mention.

Submarines are the most viable naval delivery system as they permit surprise not available to a surface warship. Space can be an issue but with the advent of many tailored anti ship missiles the scope of producing a SLCM that is fired through torpedo tubes became greater. You already have the SS-N-2, 3M-54/14, TLAM and the better example of the Popeye launched via Israel’s dolphin class submarines. The drawback is that you have such missiles at the expense of torpedo payload hence the reason why the US navy’s favoured approach of using vertical or slant launch tubes for their missiles.

Okay, I see - so we are referring to longer range LACM's launched from surface vessels and subs rather than the C-802/harpoon type missiles then?

A nice addition in PN to incress its strength and Number in the Fleet ... well done keep it up

Does seem a bit on the small side for such a missile. Hey i am playing a role playing game as Pakistan. I am looking for a gunboat to use for coastal defense any advise? Right now i am considering buying Vietnam era monitors and modifying them for coastal operations. Sorry to bother you.:oops::oops:

Pakistan's Little Turks

December 7, 2007: Pakistan is building, under license, two Turkish patrol craft. The ONUK MRTP33 Fast Patrol Boats have been very popular with the Turkish, Albanian and U.S. Coast Guards. These are hundred foot boats, which use diesel and gas turbine power plants to attain high speed (90 kilometers an hour or more), as well as a water jet system for high maneuverability. The boats weigh 30 tons, carry up to twenty crew and can stay at sea for three days at a time. Standard armament is a 57mm rapid fire gun, plus machine-guns and small arms. Anti-Ship and anti-aircraft missiles can be carried. The use of composites in these boats makes them very sturdy and stealthy.

Pakistan has been importing these patrol boats from Turkey for over five years(??)and have been very pleased with the performance.

Pakistan's Little Turks

Pakistan has been importing these patrol boats from Turkey for over five years(??)and have been very pleased with the performance.

Huh??? The official PN page has no mention of these boats - they only have 4 "missile craft" listed, and none are from Turkey.

Probably a misprint, but hopefully the "indigenous manufacture" of the MRTP 33 is not a mistake as well - though this is the first I have heard of it. All of the boats were to be manufactured in Turkey is what I understood.

Can anyone clarify?

I am pretty confused about the ships of the Pakistani navy. I have seen a dozen sites saying a dozen different lists.

Huh??? The official PN page has no mention of these boats - they only have 4 "missile craft" listed, and none are from Turkey.

Probably a misprint, but hopefully the "indigenous manufacture" of the MRTP 33 is not a mistake as well - though this is the first I have heard of it. All of the boats were to be manufactured in Turkey is what I understood.

Can anyone clarify?

surprised me too. this quote is from strategy page.com which is normally pretty accurate in its reporting.

I am pretty confused about the ships of the Pakistani navy. I have seen a dozen sites saying a dozen different lists.

check janes fighting ships for latest ship strengths and future plans.

surprised me too. this quote is from strategy page.com which is normally pretty accurate in its reporting.

Pakistan Navy Ship Zarrar, the first of Multi-Role Tactical Platform (MRTP-33) was commissioned into the Pakistan Navy at an impressive ceremony at the PN Dockyard. The Attack Craft acquired from Turkey is planned to be fitted with requisite guns and missiles commensurate with its role of coastal defence/offensive operations.

Earlier, in his welcome address, Rear-Admiral Azhar Shamim, Deputy-Chief of the Naval Staff (Projects), highlighted the significance of project wherein a number of modifications in the internal design of the boat were carried out to suit PN requirements. He also announced the commissioning of the second vessel of the series in the first quarter of 2008.

Its only being Procured by PN from Turkey and there is no plan (i haven't heard of it) for ToT of these boats...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom