What's new

Pakistan likely to extend MFN status to India

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan likely to extend MFN status to India

June 26: India and Pakistan will make fresh attempts to expand and deepen trade ties. As part of these efforts, the two will re-engage for granting India Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status.
As a first step, India has asked Pakistan to move towards drawing up a small negative list of prohibited items as against present system of listing out items that are open to trade.
“Pakistan is very keen to re-engage with India on granting MFN” an official source confirmed. India has already granted MFN status to Pakistan allowing the country to export 1,934 items.
The move to expand trade ties figured prominently during the foreign secretary, Ms Nirupama Rao’s visit to Islamabad earlier this week, official sources confirmed. Ms Rao held discussions to normalise relations between the two countries and draw up a comprehensive plan to fight against terrorism.
The commerce secretary, Mr Rahul Khuller, may travel to Pakistan shortly and hold discussions with his counterpart. However, no dates have been set for Mr Khuller’s visit yet.
The Planning Commission estimates have put the potential for bilateral trade at $10 billion. Full-blown Indo-Pak trade and investment ties will take the economic profile of the region to the next level.
The initiative to expand trade and investment ties came from Pakistani leadership to which India has responded positively.
The foreign secretary’s visit and the home minister, Mr P. Chidambaram’s consultations with Pakistan’s interior minister, Mr Rahman Malik, seem to have given fresh hopes of reviving full dialogue between India and Pakistan, sources said.
On terrorism, there seems to be some realisation on part of Pakistani leadership that it was not just India-centric problem, sources stated. The two sides have explored possibility of setting up joint counter-terrorism structures.
India is also assessing the proposal mooted by Pakistan to resume full dialogue at the level of foreign ministers. “No decision, agenda or calendar is ready for such dialogue as of now,” said the source.
During the foreign secretary’s visit, apparently, Pakistan has conceded having difficulties in bringing those responsible for the Mumbai attacks to justice.
Further, India has apparently expressed its concerns on the developments in Afghanistan where some pro-Pak elements have apparently mounted an anti-India campaign across the borders.

Pak likely to extend MFN status to India | Deccan Chronicle | 2010-06-27

yeah i think this news was posted couple of days ago. Well i would say its a positive decision and beneficial for both countries. If we can buy something for 80 rupees from India then why same product from china for 100 rupees?

This will save our foreign reserves and we will be able to spend this money in other important projects. It will defenitely help our economy and promote peace in this subcontinent. Similar statement applies for India as there are many products in Pakistan offering for cheaper pricees than other countries.

But one thing we must always remember is........... Kashmir should be our top priority as always

How can we declarea nation favored while their terrorists are languishing in our jails.. their trucks loaded with wepons enter Lahore from wahga and no one knows where they endup.

Indian army is shooting our villagers... at border areas... and who wil lanswer ot the families of those who have lost their loved ones to indian terorr.

Pakistan industry will be destroyed....

india has already granted pakistan MFN but to accrue the benefits, we must reciprocate..i am personally in favour of this decision given the inflation n disturbing economy.BUT pakistan must must diversify its output to have positive gains from this trade!

@batman
i think its hightime we get a dose of prgamtism..economic n political issues must be separated if u want to survive..besides regarding the "trucks", it would be better if intelligence efforts are boosted so we may better know where exactly they end up n how they manage to cross wagah border!

Building business builds confidence and i am all for granting the status if Indians have reached out to us and have granted us MFN status we should not think and respond with the same.

But one thing we must always remember is........... Kashmir should be our top priority as always

There was some kind of agreement almost Reached among both nations before the mumbai attacks.I have a feeling they might be same negotiations going on behind the scene just my two cents i could be totally out to lunch on this one.

How can we declarea nation favored while their terrorists are languishing in our jails.. their trucks loaded with wepons enter Lahore from wahga and no one knows where they endup.

Indian army is shooting our villagers... at border areas... and who wil lanswer ot the families of those who have lost their loved ones to indian terorr.

Pakistan industry will be destroyed....

Do u have any idea what 10Billion dollars trade means in jobs for pakistan alone.

One billion dollars will create 45000 jobs do the math what ten will do so please think about that .

Pakistan industry is already competing with Chinese and surviving please do tell me how getting access to another billion customers will be bad for them.

The more we trade, the more we depend on each other's political and economical health, the lesser are the chances of war.

india has already granted pakistan MFN but to accrue the benefits, we must reciprocate..i am personally in favour of this decision given the inflation n disturbing economy.BUT pakistan must must diversify its output to have positive gains from this trade!

@batman
i think its hightime we get a dose of prgamtism..economic n political issues must be separated if u want to survive..besides regarding the "trucks", it would be better if intelligence efforts are boosted so we may better know where exactly they end up n how they manage to cross wagah border!

Pakistan has provided facilities to Indians which are more than just declaring a Mof status.
Indian trucks are passing through Pakistan for free, does any one can count how much this free ride would cost indians otherwise????
How much is it costing Pakistan other than ecnomic terms?
How many indians Pakistan has freed? How many dead indinas have returned?

irony is the most corrupt bunch is is granting indians MoF.
All bunch has criminal history and has been to jails on criminal counts.

i pity your thinking....both are not brahmins ...Advani is a sindhi... and Jaswant singh is a rajput....
India does not enforces 51% rule on every industry..it just says partner with a local company and you can have a same rule too... thing is you are so brain washed that you do not want to take one step forward for peace.what is wrong in trade with India?

Today for some reason I find Batman funny... I thought of replying to a couple of POSTS but the RAW affiliation and India phobia reflected in every sentence made me think of how useless my reply will be.

:cheers:

Just ignore the guy and dont even bother to think about it, they will contain only RAW, Conspiracy theories.

There is no treatment yet for some of the Psychological diseases.

Trade is always better and it will lessen the mistrust.

Back
Top Bottom