What's new

Pakistan drugged out on defense & debt

I already said it many times before. If something is not well established, then source needs to be provided. If other articles are not doing that, then they're not reliable either.

Tell you what. If this is well established, then there must be other sources saying this as well. Find a few at least.

I already said it many times before. If something is not well established, then source needs to be provided. If other articles are not doing that, then they're not reliable either.

Tell you what. If this is well established, then there must be other sources saying this as well. Find a few at least.

No that is not the normal practice ..just look around your economy section for ..proof..you will find hundreds of articles which do not give source for their claims or their numbers..so you don't believe any of them ?

If they don't provide sources then it probably means that those facts are well established previously. For instance, you're not going to provide source that Pakistan's economy grew by 3% as that's been confirmed by many sources such as IMF, WB, etc.

OTOH, this claim has nothing else to back itself up. That's what I mean.

If they don't provide sources then it probably means that those facts are well established previously. For instance, you're not going to provide source that Pakistan's economy grew by 3% as that's been confirmed by many sources such as IMF, WB, etc.

OTOH, this claim has nothing else to back itself up. That's what I mean.

One Pakistani economy grew by 2.7% and not 3% last year.

And if I start throwing you those articles..will you prove that the facts in them are well established?

People who are experts in their field, have written books on it, have sources which are not in common knowledge of likes of you and me..and thats why their figures are taken as fact unless it can be proven by another equally reliable source or an expert..that those numbers were fudged in the first place.

Listen, the figures that we're discussing here need to be backed up whether said by a regular person or an expert. Because experts themselves can't come up with such figures, they have to get them from somewhere else. That "somewhere" is what needs to be quoted.

Figures like these should be easily sourced if sources for them exist. This is not like an expert opinion on some countries' economy's features, where no body else might share the same opinion, but regardless, an expert's words still count.

This is talking about facts and figures. Experts can only be used for opinions. If you're using an expert for a figure, then you're barking up the wrong tree, because an expert saying that this is the figure of that doesn't make it so. Experts themselves get figures from somewhere, such as UN, IMF, etc. If this guy has nothing to back himself up then he can't be taken seriously, whether an expert or not.

Listen, the figures that we're discussing here need to be backed up whether said by a regular person or an expert. Because experts themselves can't come up with such figures, they have to get them from somewhere else. That "somewhere" is what needs to be quoted.

Figures like these should be easily sourced if sources for them exist. This is not like an expert opinion on some countries' economy's features, where no body else might share the same opinion, but regardless, an expert's words still count.

This is talking about facts and figures. Experts can only be used for opinions. If you're using an expert for a figure, then you're barking up the wrong tree, because an expert saying that this is the figure of that doesn't make it so. Experts themselves get figures from somewhere, such as UN, IMF, etc. If this guy has nothing to back himself up then he can't be taken seriously, whether an expert or not.

Yes it needs to be quoted, but it is not...not by him or by any one else..usually all such articles are take at face value and not questioned about the source of the numbers ..because it is an understood fact that a person who has written many books on a subject and is writing for reputable newspaper won't be feeding you bull$hit.

But still such authors leave their email id for question such as yours..you should write to him and clarify ,if it is knowledge you are seeking..however if you just interested in point scoring..then you carry on forever..I won't concede an inch.

Yes it needs to be quoted, but it is not...not by him or by any one else..usually all such articles are take at face value and not questioned about the source of the numbers ..because it is an understood fact that a person who has written many books on a subject and is writing for reputable newspaper won't be feeding you bull$hit.

But still such authors leave their email id for question such as yours..you should write to him and clarify ,if it is knowledge you are seeking..however if you just interested in point scoring..then you carry on forever..I won't concede an inch.

Again, I don't care if you don't concede an inch. I am not conceding either.

If someone is an expert, only their opinion can be taken at face values. If they're using some figures for their opinion, then those figures need to be backed up still. I did a wide search on google and couldn't find any other source that gave figures of 1.5% and 0.5%.

Look, I am not interested in point scoring but rather facts. It seems you're interested in point scoring, in fact. The figures that the author says haven't been backed up one bit.

I've studied logic and argumentation quite extensively. I can guarantee you that if you were to use the type of arguments against a professor specializing in argumentation, your argument won't even be taken seriously.

Again, I don't care if you don't concede an inch. I am not conceding either.

If someone is an expert, only their opinion can be taken at face values. If they're using some figures for their opinion, then those figures need to be backed up still. I did a wide search on google and couldn't find any other source that gave figures of 1.5% and 0.5%.

Look, I am not interested in point scoring but rather facts. It seems you're interested in point scoring, in fact. The figures that the author says haven't been backed up one bit.

The fact you are not interested in questioning a Pakistani author on his source..that you so firmly believe is wrong, really surprises me...it is not knowlege you seek ..I for one believe these figures..for more than one source has quoted them ..but if you don't belive them..then take it up with..

"Syed Fazl-e-Haider is a development analyst in Pakistan. He is the author of many books, including The Economic Development of Balochistan (2004). E-mail, sfazlehaider05@yahoo.com "

For it is not my problem.

FYI, you're the one who needs to email him to ask for sources since you're the one wanting to believe him without any source. If i were using an authority as my source, the onus we'd be on me to get sources from the authority.

I, nevertheless, sent an email to him a while ago anyway.

Again, I don't give a whether you believe the figures. Of course you'll believe them, it doesn't mean sh*t. If the author is unwilling to back himself up, then he can't be taken seriously by anyone neutral.

It IS your problem and the author's problem that you and he doesn't have any source to back up what you and he claims.

I've studied logic and argumentation quite extensively. I can guarantee you that if you were to use the type of arguments against a professor specializing in argumentation, your argument won't even be taken seriously.

Ppl in streets of Pakistan are dying of povertyand these generals are buying 6 more subs from china so they can get more kick backs and commissions admrl mansoor ul haq rings any bell ?

FYI, you're the one who needs to email him to ask for sources since you're the one wanting to believe him without any source. If i were using an authority as my source, the onus we'd be on me to get sources from the authority.

I, nevertheless, sent an email to him a while ago anyway.

Again, I don't give a whether you believe the figures. Of course you'll believe them, it doesn't mean sh*t. If the author is unwilling to back himself up, then he can't be taken seriously by anyone neutral.

It IS your problem and the author's problem that you and he doesn't have any source to back up what you and he claims.

When you get the reply..I hope you will be able to convince your self to your hearts contents..but as I said before, you need convincing and not me ..for more than one source has quoted these exact figures..proof of which is that I quoted you these exact figures months before this article was even written..only problem is I don't remember its link.

LOL this is incredible. What makes you think he has the sources? I've done many google searches and couldn't find anything except his article that speaks the same figures. His article has only been printed on like 2 or 3 websites, that too ones not too well known. It doesn't mean for much.

As far as convincing is concerned, yes you need to convince me AND anyone neutral with some sources. Obviously you'll be convinced, but it doesn't stand for much, again. You'll need to provide sources to convince me of an alien encounter as well, but the person who is making the assertion of alien encounter will obviously be convinced himself.

As of now, the article still counts for nothing if the guy can't produce sources.

LOL this is incredible. What makes you think he has the sources? I've done many google searches and couldn't find anything except his article that speaks the same figures. His article has only been printed on like 2 or 3 websites, that too ones not too well known. It doesn't mean for much.

As far as convincing is concerned, yes you need to convince me AND anyone neutral with some sources. Obviously you'll be convinced, but it doesn't stand for much, again. You'll need to provide sources to convince me of an alien encounter as well, but the person who is making the assertion of alien encounter will obviously be convinced himself.

As of now, the article still counts for nothing if the guy can't produce sources.

What makes you think he hasn't? and if hasn't then you should question yourself..why are so many Pakistanis, so unreliable..that they can't even prove what they write..such as what you did with post no 4.

What makes you think he hasn't and if hasn't ..then you should question yourself..why are so many Pakistanis, so unreliable..that they can't even prove what they write..such as you did with post no 4.

The reason I think he doesn't is because I don't see another single source that quotes the same figures.

As for why this guy might not have source and the unreliability of Pakistan, I don't care whether they're, except that you'd be proven wrong and so'd be the figures. Also, this is just one guy, not all Pakistanis. Seems like you have your diversion excuse ready though.

Back
Top Bottom