What's new

Pakistan can survive without US aid!

The very fact of Pakistan cutting ties with US will make a big a change.

It may or may not be... you will never know until you go through it. There is a reason why GoP went with US aid to begin with in the first place and I am sure your opinion would have been different at that point in time. People always see grass is greener on the other side... but I do agree that once the people realize that there is indeed an issue with the current situation in Pakistan it leaves a lot to be hopeful about. The problem lies primarily with the leadership as always and until that changes radically, no matter if you take US aid or not, things are not going to change for you on the ground.

Aids & loans have never benefit Pakistan it had only benefit the corruption & corrupt polititions, i beleive the aids & loans are only for polititions who dances on orders of outsiders. Just tell me a single development done by this aid thing, 1.5 billion is big amount man tell me what development happen with this money? I request to US please stop aid immidiately, instead open your markets for our products.

I will not talk of aid but cutting off relations with US will put many of your military systems in jeopardy.

You need to first end your reliance on US systems before even thinking of doing something like cutting off relations.

China can help in this regard.
How so? They put sanctions on us in 1993-2001 and I believe it had no significant effect on the military.

How so? They put sanctions on us in 1993-2001 and I believe it had no significant effect on the military.

I am referring to those Pakistani members who say that Pakistan should cut off all relations with the US.

It may or may not be... you will never know until you go through it. There is a reason why GoP went with US aid to begin with in the first place and I am sure your opinion would have been different at that point in time. People always see grass is greener on the other side... but I do agree that once the people realize that there is indeed an issue with the current situation in Pakistan it leaves a lot to be hopeful about. The problem lies primarily with the leadership as always and until that changes radically, no matter if you take US aid or not, things are not going to change for you on the ground.

what was the period between 1992 and 2000? we have survived w/o any US aid - dont forget also 1965-1976. so it is nothing new - its a mind-set. does the present govt. have the heart to take this hard road.!!!

the US thinks sanctions work but they dont in the long-run. once again our 'perceptions' of the US being a 'partner' we cannot trust are coming true!

its very easy sitting in the US and making comments looking-in. just think what wld be the reaction if 2 indians were killed by an american in new delhi?

what was the period between 1992 and 2000? we have survived w/o any US aid - dont forget also 1965-1976. so it is nothing new - its a mind-set. does the present govt. have the heart to take this hard road.!!!
You rightly pointed out that everything is in the hands of the leaders. There are several nations on this planet who are surviving without any external aid. I wasn't questioning survival of the country... sorry if it came out that way... but rather questioning the change that @SMC pointed out. Change has always been a good political term, but question lies is the change better or for worse... I guess we will never know until we go through it.

the US thinks sanctions work but they dont in the long-run. once again our 'perceptions' of the US being a 'partner' we cannot trust are coming true!
Agree... sanctions will only increase the resolve of the people to stand up on their own feet and in the long run it always helps, but you need to convince people to prepare for the short term hardships. Leadership of a country determines its fate and at the moment I don't see a powerful and progressive leadership for your country.

You're right the current government needs to go. That's why a lot of us are hopeful for the next elections.

It was the US that saved you from a widespread global ignominy during Kargil war. Don't forget that. Aid is not the only thing that you've got from the US since independence.

It was the US which protected you while you were members of CENTO and SEATO.

The US gave you then advanced technologies during your wars with India. The US even sent an Aircraft Carrier to dissuade India in 1971. It was the US which effectively protected you against a massiv Indian Army assault in West Pakistan during 1971 war.

You've not even got rid of your shackles and you're talking of running in the Olympics.

Baatein badi badi.

And what after you antagonise the US? What will happen then?

Will China get the IMF to support your already nearly collapsing Economy?

Will China give help you as much as the US did if, God Forbid, you have another natural calamity as serious as the recent floods?

and so on

And what will become of your relationship with China then? Will it not become similar to the relation between Pakistan and US during the 1950's and 60's?

You are talking of stopping being servile to one big power and starting a similar relationship with another.

What's the difference?

Even after 63 years of independence, you could not understand how big powers use smaller countries in the larger game of geopolitics.

You rightly pointed out that everything is in the hands of the leaders. There are several nations on this planet who are surviving without any external aid. I wasn't questioning survival of the country... sorry if it came out that way... but rather questioning the change that @SMC pointed out. Change has always been a good political term, but question lies is the change better or for worse... I guess we will never know until we go through it.

Agree... sanctions will only increase the resolve of the people to stand up on their own feet and in the long run it always helps, but you need to convince people to prepare for the short term hardships. Leadership of a country determines its fate and at the moment I don't see a powerful and progressive leadership for your country.

the common man is ready - are the 'elite' - that is the issue - 99% of the wealth is controlled by 1% of the population. it is them who are 'worried' not the common man!

It was the US that saved you from a widespread global ignominy during Kargil war. Don't forget that. Aid is not the only thing that you've got from the US since independence.

It was the US which protected you while you were members of CENTO and SEATO.

The US gave you then advanced technologies during your wars with India. The US even sent an Aircraft Carrier to dissuade India in 1971. It was the US which effectively protected you against a massiv Indian Army assault in West Pakistan during 1971 war.

You've not even got rid of your shackles and you're talking of running in the Olympics.

Baatein badi badi.

And what after you antagonise the US? What will happen then?

Will China get the IMF to support your already nearly collapsing Economy?

Will China give help you as much as the US did if, God Forbid, you have another natural calamity as serious as the recent floods?

and so on

And what will become of your relationship with China then? Will it not become similar to the relation between Pakistan and US during the 1950's and 60's?

You are talking of stopping being servile to one big power and starting a similar relationship with another.

What's the difference?

Even after 63 years of independence, you could not understand how big powers use smaller countries in the larger game of geopolitics.

oh please dont start me - stop living in the past!

the common man is ready - are the 'elite' - that is the issue - 99% of the wealth is controlled by 1% of the population. it is them who are 'worried' not the common man!
This is the unfortunate truth in the whole of south asia I believe. I am not too proud of our government either (especially lately when so many scams are being unearthed)... but I convince myself that it is being unearthed at least... and probably feel respite that we are going in the right direction albeit with all the deficiencies. As long as their is hope people will learn to live with it, but when the hope dies out, it is time for a revolution.

Pakistan can live without US BUT
US cant live without Pakistan in Afghanistan...simple:lol:

The US tax payers agree with you that the US funds Pakistan with their hard earned money and it needs to stop.

Back
Top Bottom