What's new

Pakistan Army Unwilling or Unable?

Astra

BANNED
Reaction score
ABC News: Pakistani Army: Unwilling or Unable?

For the second day in a row, Pakistani troops abandoned an army base in South Waziristan, a region along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border that is a stronghold for militants. And this time, the militants didn't even attack.

One hundred frontier troops in the Chagmalai Fort received threats from militants and apparently decided it was a better idea to flee than to stay and defend themselves, an intelligence source and local residents told ABC News. The fort was filled with heavy weaponry, including artillery guns and rocket propelled grenades.

"They've abandoned the place," Abid, who lives in the area, told ABC News as helicopters circled overhead. "They've made so many blockades, we can't even get food, and we only have three to four rations left."

The abandonment comes one day after 22 soldiers were killed by as many as 600 militants who overran the nearby Sararogha fort. It was one of the first times that militants have forcibly captured an army fort, representing an embarrassing defeat for the government and the Pakistani military.

The militants' victories are more evidence that the pro-Taliban insurgency is growing in Pakistan's tribal areas, and what little confidence there once was in the Pakistani military to fight back is virtually gone.

The military, analysts say, is unable -- or at least unwilling -- to stand up against the Taliban and its allies in the tribal areas, an area the size of Luxemburg along the border with Afghanistan. And the militants have managed to stop their infighting and unite themselves under the title of Taliban Movement of Pakistan.

"This group has decided that they will collectively respond to any military operation by the Pakistani authorities and they were demanding an end to the military operations by the Pakistan army in Waziristan, Swat and other areas," says Rahimullah Yusufzai, an ABC consultant who has covered the Taliban since its inception. "And they also gave a threat. That if these military operations were not stopped, then they would react: They would launch more attacks in Pakistan."

The undermentioned post from Mastan Kahn should indicate that the men in uniform are willing.

Reading the DAWN, I came across this letter to the editor---this gentleman should have writing for the defence forum---here it is for your reading---

It is baffling how 400 Taliban fighters, indicating a battalion-sized force, had overrun and captured the Sararogha Fort. These forts, built by the British, were intended to serve as outposts. The purpose of such forward military bases is to observe insurgent activity, to patrol the area and to block the enemy from threatening the local population.

The Sararogha Fort sits on a ridge overlooking the Razmak-Jandola Road. Given that the insurgents were carrying heavy weaponry, mortars and rocket launchers, it is unlikely that they came on foot. To transport such a force with their munitions would require a convoy of minimum 40 vehicles.

The terrain is rugged – there are patches of pine forest, also some agricultural plots mostly terraced, but for the most part, are rocky. Mean elevation is 2,000m – peaks at 2,200m and valleys at 1,800m. In this time of rain, the area is well watered by torrential streams. As a result, the off-road terrain is ‘unjeepable’ given the rocky, terrace and water obstacles. In all probability, therefore, the Taliban convoy travelled on the main road on the Razmak to Sararogha segment.

As is usual in night operations, the convoy would have waited till sundown and then mobilised -- indicating 5.30pm local time. The attack itself commenced at 9pm, which means they must have arrived at a safe nearby spot around 8pm and begun to regroup and take positions for the assault. This indicates a two-and-a-half hours travel time.

If the 40-odd vehicles travelled in a single convoy from start, then it could well have come out of the pine forested Shawal Mountains that straddle the Afghan border. These mountains can be seen from Razmak and are less than 50 miles from the Sararogha Fort. Alternatively, several smaller convoys of four to five vehicles, hidden in the small residential settlements, could have converged on the main road from different directions. This mode would generate considerable wireless chatter that savvy intelligence can pick up. In either mode, the convoys would be travelling with headlights off except for the lead vehicle — a suspicious thing even for a casual onlooker.

It is baffling that a convoy of 40 vehicles carrying armed Taliban, travelling on the main road for several miles can elude intelligence, roadside checkposts and aerial surveillance.

The operation commenced around 9pm with the Taliban breaching a hole in the wall of the fort using explosives. Even then, the 38 FC personnel held off the invading battalion for six hours. When did the FC HQ receive the first distress signal? Was it communicated to their commander?

Did the commander request for reinforcements for his men in trouble? What is the standard operating procedure in an event of this nature?

As the FC men fought on, was a request sent to the Army Aviation squadrons under the Peshawar Corps to send in the Cobra AH1-F attack helicopters -- eight of which are night-capable (C-NITE equipped)? Did the Ludda Fort nearby receive a distress call requesting artillery fire on the Taliban position? What artillery equipment was available to it and who was going to make the decision? Was it in artillery range and were the Taliban’s coordinates known?

Apart from rescuing the lives of the 38 FC personnel and the morale of all other FC personnel, this was an opportunity to take out 400 Taliban fighters – thereby striking a major blow to their operations in the area.

The Taliban butchered and captured the FC personnel, and after removing ammunition and communications equipment, set the fort on fire and made their way back probably reaching their safe havens before sunrise. Again, nobody saw where the 40 vehicles carrying armed Taliban went, and so they live to fight another day.

This brings us to the question: Are we conducting our national fight against these elements to the best of our abilities? This is the real battle for Pakistan. I would urge Gen Kayani to hold an inquest into this case. I am concerned that in the not too distant future we may be facing a Taliban assault force of brigade strength.

MOAZZAM HUSSAIN,
Lahore

Hi,

The problem seems to lie with the general command. I believe Pres Musharraf has promoted some officers to the office of general staff---people who donot have the ability to hold that office.

Case in point Inspector Gen police MR Mohtaram from karachi---him and his cohorts didnot do anything to protect the property in karachi from the mob last month.

Mastan,

No matter which army one is from, promotion is a game of chance.

One has to serve the right people at the right time.

To believe that the competent alone is the criterion is utopia.

Liddle Hart, then would not have retired as a Captain!

We have to do with the resources that we have.

Unfortunate, but true.

It is the same for all Armies of the world.

The issue in this world is not doing. The issue is done!

In my country there are many things we are doing. Great visions. Great dreams.

A whole lot of big talk by the govt in my country.

But what of it?

But I will only be satisfied when it is done.

I don't live on hope.

I live on ground realities!

this is not the army abandoning these are people from the frontier corps.and since they are not well trained i dont know why the pakistani governemnt is keeping these FC personnel there since there incapable of taking on any challenge.and RPG's arent heavy weapons.they come under infantry small arms.the heavy r artillery weapons.

:) Yes Silmo

only if the IDIOTS know there is a big difference Between FC and Pakistan Army.

But than who will call them Idiots if they know ;)

As far keeping FC Men well i think we need to train them on lines of Army and also equip them simillary.
There was time when FC was affective as there was no such issue like fighting the harcore militants but now the scenario has changed and not just presently but we also need to look out for future too.

yes jana i totaly agree with you.however i think that they still wont fight full heartedly cause there training can never be as strong to follow orders as the army has.and since this force is made of mostly pathans,they will never fight full heartedly against there people

why not send army divisions there?
the situation seems serious.what about the civilians in those areas?
how are they faring?

The biggest problem is that the Pakistan Army does not want to create a 1971 sort of situation. We know whats its like to fight against your own people and let me say no side can claim victory and in the case of 1971 we just cant repeat that scene at any cost. Another factor which people must learn to differentiate is where the F.C. and where the Pakistan Army is at. Right now in FATA only the F.C. operates, but its led by high ranking military officers, but it is the ordinary soldier who fights. Now is Swat we saw the Pakistan Army in action and we saw how they swept the place.

i think there is more than a division in swat.there are around 80,000 troops a division consists of 25,000

:) Yes Silmo

only if the IDIOTS know there is a big difference Between FC and Pakistan Army.

But than who will call them Idiots if they know ;)

As far keeping FC Men well i think we need to train them on lines of Army and also equip them simillary.
There was time when FC was affective as there was no such issue like fighting the harcore militants but now the scenario has changed and not just presently but we also need to look out for future too.

Jana,

Your patriotism should not embarrass the country.

Indeed, if the FC is untrained and cannot live up to the task, it means that those who are detailing them to do a task that is beyond them are totally incompetent and blithering idiots.

Is that what you are suggesting?

If they are so incompetent, then they should be taken off the task and those who know their job and are capable should be put there.

Obviously, the govt knows more than you and if they have placed the FC in the task assigned, they know what they are doing.

By stating that IDIOTs do not know the difference is being silly. I am sure your govt knows the difference and knowing the difference are placing the right people at the right places. It is those people who are not performing and the govt is not full of Idiots!

In my opinion. main reasons for the success of the insurgents and apparent inability of PA an FC to control these are three:

1. There is definitely some empathy towards conservative Islamists within the PA & FC. Many in the PA and FC rank and file come from a similar background as the average madrassah student and it would be extremely naive for one to deny that there is no covert support from within.

We had a very long era of the of strong support and co-operation with the mujahideen and officers of the PA during 11 years of Zia and followed by truly myopic bigots such as Hamid Gul as head of the ISI.Their influence must surely still linger. A very long and close association between Islamic extremists and the ISI cannot disappear overnight. This is also evident from the fact the the brain who planned the attack on the PAF school bus was a retired army major.

2. Because our defence has been India centric; most of the army modernization has been in the conventional hardware such as new tanks, new guns and AD equipment. This means that counter insurgency training has been neglected. Consequently, we find that insurgents are as well armed and trained, probably better motivated than the FC and PA. Only advantage PA has so far enjoyed is in the form of helo gunships.

In order to fight a counter insurgency battle, one needs to stress more on the efficiency of small arms, communications equipment; satellite monitoring and intelligence gathering. This is the achilles heel of the PA and FC, whereas the insurgents always manage to successfully ambush PA convoys. PA are finding it difficult to to fight an unconventional war using conventional equipment and tactics. There is an urgent need to re-equip and re-train at least a couple of brigades for counter insurgency operations.

3. There is a significat portion of the civil population who actually want a talibaan like state in Pakistan. Most of the FATA insurgency has developed during the MMA government in the NWFP. There must been some support for the talibaan among the JI politicians; after all talibaan are mostly from their madrassahs. You find some posts in this very forum which imply that all you need to win is faith in Allah without any regard to training or equipment. I saw a post where it was claimed that Islam had democracy until the first world war. Denying that Ummayyads, Abbassides, Ottomons, the Moghuls and the rest were absolute monarchies but actullay ruled by elected Khalifas!

Such way of thinking is symptomatic of a certain mindset where Pakistan comes third or fourth instead of being the first.

Add to this, politicians such as Qazi Sahib and idiots like Imraan Khan and you have the recipe for disaster. In order to control a talibaan like movement, you must win hearts and minds of the local population. With politicians such as Imraan Khan, Qazi Saahib ( even Nawaz Sharif; PML(N) voted against women's bill thinking it as un Islamic) carrying support in the Pakistani public,
you have all the ingredients of an un-winnable conflict.

I completely agree with you Niaz but you should also consider that Insurgencies within a civilian Area cannot be avoided and you can never be sure from where insurgents appear and as to where they hide. You can not engage a enemy within. In SWAT PA has to sweep check all local population for Extremist and same is the case in rest of the FATA region. No Army in the world if considering the local population in these areas can do better than what PA and FC are doing. It is not like you sit and start carpet bombing the whole area like US in the Afghanistan. These are our people and Security forces have a code of conduct in such cases. They can not fire a single round without being fired at. The operation which has now started will see an end of Extremist movement. Doesn't matter if we supported Talliban in past years but as far as Pakistan is concerned, the dual policy over Afghanistan is tearing Pakistan Apart because these elements are now out of the control of MI and ISI.

Back
Top Bottom