What's new

Pakistan 'army air strike kills dozens of civilians'

The best thing when conducting COIN Ops in one's own territory is to have boots on the ground because that gives the neutral local populace a lot of confidence, but if that is considered to be too much to ask for of one's troops as is the current case then at least precise intelligence will be needed. ISI is a very strong organization. I am sure that PAF would have had very reliable inputs before conducting this (at least I hope very much....). If not then this might be the single largest civilian casualty figure in a military conducted organization in Pakistan. I think even more than the U.S drone strikes when considered as a singular event.... and could go some way in influencing the local opinion against the PDF.

Last edited:
My condolences to those caught in the crossfire. An example of the sad realities of war. Mistakes happen, what is important is to learn from it. And not let it sap your resolve to defeat your enemy.

BBC News - Pakistan 'army air strike kills dozens of civilians'

"At least 73 civilians were killed when an army jet bombed a remote village in Pakistan's tribal region of Khyber, a local official has told the BBC."

My condolences to those caught in the crossfire. An example of the sad realities of war. Mistakes happen, what is important is to learn from it. And not let it sap your resolve to defeat your enemy.

BBC News - Pakistan 'army air strike kills dozens of civilians'

"At least 73 civilians were killed when an army jet bombed a remote village in Pakistan's tribal region of Khyber, a local official has told the BBC."

RIP to the victims.

OMG 73 civilians is a very huge number.

RIP to the victims.

OMG 73 civilians is a very huge number.

I have no doubt some of those were insurgents. locals who sympathize with insurgents tend to count their deaths as civilian for propaganda purposes. But I am also sure not all were insurgents.

This is going to hurt Pakistan in the long run, now how many of the relatives of the dead are going to get radicalized against Pakistan is anyone's guess.

I have no doubt some of those were insurgents. locals who sympathize with insurgents tend to count their deaths as civilian for propaganda purposes. But I am also sure not all were insurgents.

Sorry to spoil the party, but as @ Thomas said the insurgents never miss a chance to capitalizes on such situations to win public sympathy.
Elsewhere the militants admitted that it were their people.

Pakistani jets kill 45 people in Khyber: militants | Reuters

Is this over and above the incident a couple of days back or the same one?

The Hindu reported this

***********************************************************************************************

Official claims Pakistan strike kills 71 civilians

Up to 71 civilians were killed in a weekend strike by Pakistani jets near the Afghan border, survivors and a government official said on Tuesday - a rare confirmation of civilian casualties that risks undercutting public support for the fight against militants.

The government official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject, said authorities had already handed out the equivalent of $125,000 in compensation to families of the victims in a remote village in the Khyber tribal area.

Speaking Monday, army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas denied that any of the dead were civilians, saying the air force had intelligence that militants were gathering at the site of the strike, which took place Saturday. The victims were initially reported to be suspected militants.

Two survivors interviewed on Tuesday in hospital gave a detailed account of the attack.

They said most of the victims were killed when they were trying to rescue people trapped by an earlier strike on the house of a village elder.

“This house was bombed on absolutely wrong information,” said Khanan Gul Khan, a resident of the village who was visiting a relative in hospital in Peshawar, the main town in the northwest. “This area has nothing to do with militants.”

He said 68 people were killed and many more wounded. The political official said on Monday that the families of 71 victims had been compensated, but did not identify them.

Reports of significant civilian casualties in the strike on Saturday have appeared in the local media in recent days.

An editorial on Tuesday in Dawn, a respected English-language daily, said it was clear that the dead had no links to the militants and that the incident “strengthens the hands of the Taliban.”

“Such actions defy description and an explanation is in order from those who ordered the assault,” it said.

The Pakistani army, under heavy pressure from the United States, has moved forcefully against Taliban and al—Qaeda militants in the northwest over the last 18 months. It regularly reports killing scores of militants in airstrikes, but rarely, if ever, reports on civilian deaths.

Independent accounts of the attacks are rare because reporters are barred from much of the region.

The Hindu : News / International : Official claims Pakistan strike kills 71 civilians

***********************************************************************************************

I would not be surprised if report is true becuase aerial strikes and operations like this always come with collateral damage....Bombs don't ask if you are terrorists or not...As far as intelligence goes they are humans like us and mistakes do happen....Though unfortunate but downside of war whether being fought on your own or someone else land is civilian deaths as well....

One has to wonder whether Pakistani army has killed more Indians or Pakistani civilians. The East Pakistan, Balochistan, Karachi and now NWFP.

One also has to wonder into your identity.

So the news is fake? is that what u suggesting? or do u doubt the identity of dawn also?

I have given the link in post#7

Nothing of the sort has been reported in the mainstream media Channels.

One also has to wonder into your identity.
the mistake is done ONE SHOULD GET A LESSON FROM THIS FOR FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my army and country but humanity has the top priority indeed!
FIRST M A HUMAN THEN MUSLIM AND THEN A PAKISTANI.......
WAR against own people is never a good idea:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Back
Top Bottom