What's new

Pakistan and Indonesia's blasphemy laws have no basis in the Qur'an

Reaction score

It is ironic that the very Muslims who criticise the west often end up imitating alien aspects of western thought

The-Qur-an-010.jpg

'There are strict Qur’anic injunctions for those who are deemed to be apostates and heretics or those who revile, curse, taunt or abuse, but these terms all have different contexts and jurisprudential uses from that of blasphemy.' Photograph: Aamir Qureshi/AFP/Getty Images

In the Qur'an there is no equivalent of blasphemy. The idea of reviling the sacred is of course condemned but this is markedly different from the way blasphemy is perceived in post-Enlightenment countries. Believers are urged in the sixth chapter of the Qur'an to "not revile those whom they pray to other than Allah so that they do not revile Allah through their ignorance". In modern Arabic the word used in newspapers and television for blasphemy is tajdeef, from the root ja-da-fa, which among other things can mean to propel a boat using oars. Importantly, the word tajdeef seems to be a recent addition to the language and is not mentioned in the Qur'an.

One of the earliest examples in "Islamic" history of public cursing is found in the books of both the Sunni and Shia traditions. It is recorded that the Umayyad caliph Muawiya ordered that Ali, the cousin and son-in-law of the prophet Muhammad, be publicly cursed from the pulpits of mosques. A number of people disobeyed the order and were punished for this. Subsequently, another Umayyad caliph, Umar bin Abdul Aziz, abolished this practice by invoking the 90th verse of the 16th chapter of the Qur'an which states that "Allah orders that justice and good deeds should be done to kith and kin, and forbids lewdness, immorality and oppression …"

There are strict Qur'anic injunctions for those who are deemed to be apostates and heretics or those who revile, curse, taunt or abuse, but these terms all have different contexts and jurisprudential uses from that of blasphemy. Similarly, the Qur'an takes a very strong view against those who create fitna (strife) but then almost every country has tough laws for the prosecution of those who instigate others in order to create public unrest. The second chapter of the Qur'an says that fitna is worse than killing. Importantly, it seems that the most severe condemnation in the Qur'an is for the munafiqoon (hypocrites). Notably, a hypocrite is the diametric opposite of a blasphemer in that he or she hold conflicting views in public and private while the latter openly airs their views. Thus, the hypocrite is much more dangerous.

The question then arises as to why "Islamic" countries, for instance Pakistan and Indonesia, have such stringent blasphemy laws. Pakistan's law dates back to colonial times and was made even harsher during the presidency of Zia ul-Haq who at the time enjoyed American patronage and was involved in arming the mujahideen against Russia. Indonesia's laws were formulated in 1965. Recently there was a controversy in Indonesia because a Shia scholar was charged among other things with blasphemy and sentenced to five years in prison. This is particularly relevant because the Indonesia's President Yudhoyono, wanted to use his platform at the UN last week to call for an international anti-blasphemy law.

The basic motivation behind these laws seems less to do with religion and more to do with a desire by certain countries to create a homogenous society in terms of religious belief. Thus it leaves very little scope for any form of dissent and facilitates the persecution of minorities. This, of course, is also bolstered by the already exclusionary nature of nationalism. There are a whole series of laws in America and in Europe as well as in "Islamic" countries to do with hate speech and preserving the peace that should be utilised instead and blasphemy laws should be done away with.

Muslims are not permitted to "blaspheme" for in doing so they are actually disobeying clear Qur'anic injunctions that prohibit the slander of other people's beliefs. Those who revile the icons and sacred spaces of others' religions therefore only disrespect the teachings of their own religion. Respect for the sacred spaces of other faiths was famously demonstrated by the second caliph Omar. When Jerusalem was taken he was invited by the patriarch to pray in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. He refused and prayed in the courtyard because he did not want to set precedent and endanger the church's status as a site of Christian worship. Today, it is ironic therefore that the very people who criticise the west and its policies often end up imitating and copying aspects of western thought that do not have their roots in Islamic thought.

Source : http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2012/nov/01/pakistan-indonesia-blasphemy-laws-quran

Present day Western thought has nothing to do with current blasphemy laws in Islamic countries, there are not alien, they are non-existent in the Western World today. When was the last time you heard someone being on death row for the 'crime' of blasphemy in a Western country?

These thoughts and practices on the other hand are alive and kicking in the Islamic world. In the case of apostasy you will encounter staggering figures:

When asked about the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion, at least three-quarters of Muslims in Jordan (86%), Egypt (84%) and Pakistan (76%) say they would favor making it the law

Also, the author is ignoring the vast amount of ahadith on which the radicals primarily based their ruling to kill a 'blasphemer'.

It is not the other way around as the columnist is trying to point out. The blasphemy laws in Islamic countries are derived from the religious scriptures, the laws are not in place because some Westerners had a hand in introducing a new concept. But because Islamists derive these blasphemy laws from the Islamic text corpus, and enforce them. The relevant Islamic texts about legal issues pre-date the existence of either Islamic Indonesia or Islamic Pakistan by a couple of centuries.

Muslim Spain in the Middle Ages, for example, had blasphemy laws - whoever spoke against the prophet or the Quran would face the death penalty- long before any Western colonialist supposedly introduced blasphemy laws in Muslim lands. These laws in Andalusia were based on early Islamic criminal jurisprudence.
And if you dig a little deeper, you will probably find blasphemy laws in various Islamic empires at various points of time in history.
So, the idea that blasphemy laws is instigated by the Western colonial rulers is clearly not true.

By pointing to the West as the origin of Islamic blasphemy laws, and therefore washing away the Muslims' collective share in the actual making by the early jurists/hadith collectors, the author is misrepresenting the real picture.
You are not going to convince radical Muslims to take another stand by pointing to an obscure law the Britons introduced in British India, laws that prescribed a few years of jail and that were intended to prevent religious clashes that were occurring more frequently in the colony. The radicals take their inspiration and arguments from Islamic scriptures, they won't give a damn about some ancient law from a long gone era. Islamists legitimize blasphemy laws on the basis of Islamic sources, they always have.

In response to the OP, please do read this gem from PKKH, official DefPk affiliate:

The Issue Of Blasphemy | PKKH.tv

quran11-640x480-400x300.jpg

PKKH Exclusive | By Ayesha Akthar

The issue of hurting the religious sentiments and blasphemy in the name of freedom of expression and tolerance is not new. Whether it’s Raj Paul who wrote a book against the honor of the Prophet, Salman Rushdi, Dr. Tasleema Nasreen, Dr. Wafa Sultan, the Danish Newspaper published the caricatures of Holy Prophet, repeated Facebook incidents, Terry Jones and now the Movie “Innocence of Muslims” (and then the French magazine which has again published Caricatures). The drama is being well staged on the principle of “Freedom of Speech”.

Our love for the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) is naturally different and far more superior to us than any other thing. Allah Subhanhu wa ta’ala has sent him as the last and final Messenger and with him, He has closed the doors of Prophet hood and we have been left with no other way of getting Hidayah other than following the Book he brought and his Sunnah. His love is the part of our Imaan (Bukhari).

We have got the best example in him (Surah Al-Ahzaab Verse 21), He was sent as a mercy to mankind (Surah Al-Anbiya Verse 107), and the mission for which he was sent and he accomplished that alhmadulillah is worth loving as Allah Subhanhu wa ta’ala narrates in the Holy Qur’an about it in following words,

“Allah did confer a great favor on the believers when He sent among them a messenger from among themselves, rehearsing unto them the signs of Allah, sanctifying them, and instructing them in scripture and wisdom, while, before that, they had been in manifest error.” [Surah Aale-Imran 164]

So this is indeed a great favor of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala upon us, without which we might be in error. Following the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the only way to attain the love of Allah Subhanhu wa ta’ala (Surah Aale-Imran, verse 31), obeying Allah and equivalently the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) and following his example is the way to attain Allah’s mercy (Surah Aale-Imran, Verse 132) and is the gateway to the highest achievements (Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse 71 ) So, there are so many reasons to love him and that make his honor and dignity so much important and superior to us than our own lives. Such is the honor of our beloved prophet that Allah has ordered Muslims even not to raise their voices above that of Prophet or their deeds might render fruitless (Surah Al-Hujraat 21) and Allah has cursed all those who annoy Him and His Prophet. (Surah Al-Ahzaab 57)

We have examples:

The Sahabah-e-Karaam (Companions of the Prophet) were always willing to sacrifice their lives for the honour and wellbeing of the Prophet, we have got examples in their lives showing how much they used to love the Prophet (peace be upon him).

A well-known incidence of Urwah bin Masud when he narrates the love of Sahabah for Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) in the following words,

“I have visited the kings of the world, and I have had audiences with Caesar and with Kisra -the Persian emperor, and with the Negus, and I have never seen the followers of a king so devoted to their leader like the Sahabah (the Companions) in their devotion to Muhammad (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)! And I have never seen any obedience amongst the followers of the kings like I have seen of the Sahabah with the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)! By Allah, if he spat, the spittle would fall in the hand of one of them (i.e. the Prophet (SAW)’s companions) who would rub it on his face and skin; Whenever he would give them a command they would rush to do it, and whenever he would speak they would be silent as if birds are on their heads, and whenever he would make Wudu they would rush to get the droplets of water falling off his body, whenever a hair would fall from him they would try to get it! So O people of Quraish! Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) has given you an offer; accept it, because I don’t think that his followers will ever give him up!”

(Bukhari: Chapter no: 52, Book of Conditions:Hadith no: 906)

Islam is the religion of peace but when it comes to the issue, which is of course very sensitive one, of blaspheming the Prophet, a straight forward punishment of putting the blasphemer to death has been imposed. Blasphemy has been the issue of debates among scholars and all are on consensus and consider it a serious crime. Let’s have a look at a few incidences and what the Prophet’s own stance on any such incidence was.

Narrated Jabir bin ‘Abdullah(RA) : Allah’s Apostle(peace be upon him) said, “Who is willing to kill Ka’b bin Al-Ashraf who has hurt Allah and His Apostle?” There upon Muhammad bin Maslama got up saying, “O Allah’s Apostle! Would you like that I kill him?” The Prophet said, “Yes,” Muhammad bin Maslama said, “Then allow me to say a (false) thing (i.e. to deceive Kab). “The Prophet said, “You may say it.” Then Muhammad bin Maslama went to Kab and said, “That man (i.e. Muhammad demands Sadaqa (i.e. Zakat) from us, and he has troubled us, and I have come to borrow something from you.” On that, Kab said, “By Allah, you will get tired of him!” Muhammad bin Maslama said, “Now as we have followed him, we do not want to leave him unless and until we see how his end is going to be. Now we want you to lend us a camel load or two of food.” (Some has difference between narrators about a camel load or two.) Kab said, “Yes, (I will lend you), but you should mortgage something to me.” Muhammad bin Mas-lama and his companion said, “What do you want?” Ka’b replied, “Mortgage your women to me.” They said, “How can we mortgage our women to you and you are the most handsome of the ‘Arabs?” Ka’b said, “Then mortgages your sons to me.” They said, “How can we mortgage our sons to you? Later they would be abused by the people’s saying that so-and-so has been mortgaged for a camel load of food. That would cause us great disgrace, but we will mortgage our arms to you.” Muhammad bin Maslama and his companion promised Kab that Muhammad would return to him. He came to Kab at night along with Kab’s foster brother, Abu Na’ila. Kab invited them to come into his fort, and then he went down to them. His wife asked him, “Where are you going at this time?” Kab replied, “None but Muhammad bin Maslama and my (foster) brother Abu Na’ila have come.” His wife said, “I hear a voice as if dropping blood is from him, Ka’b said. “They are none but my brother Muhammad bin Maslama and my foster brother Abu Naila. A generous man should respond to a call at night even if invited to be killed.” Muhammad bin Maslama went with two men. (Some narrators mention the men as ‘Abu bin Jabr. Al Harith bin Aus and Abbad bin Bishr). So Muhammad bin Maslama went in together with two men, and sail to them, “When Ka’b comes, I will touch his hair and smell it, and when you see that I have got hold of his head, strip him. I will let you smell his head.” Kab bin Al-Ashraf came down to them wrapped in his clothes, and diffusing perfume. Muhammad bin Maslama said. “I have never smelt a better scent than this. Ka’b replied. “I have got the best ‘Arab women who know how to use the high class of perfume.” Muhammad bin Maslama requested Ka’b “Will you allow me to smell your head?” Ka’b said, “Yes.” Muhammad smelt it and made his companions smell it as well. Then he requested Ka’b again, “Will you let me (smell your head)?” Ka’b said, “Yes.” When Muhammad got a strong hold of him, he said (to his companions), “Get at him!” So they killed him and went to the Prophet and informed him. (Abu Rafi) was killed after Ka’b bin Al-Ashraf.” (Sahih Bukhari Book 59, Hadith 369)

Narrated by Imam Ibn Taymmiyah in “Al-Sarim ul Maslool ala Shatim ar Rasool” that when Prophet was asked about killing Ka’ab Ibn al-Ashraf he said the following,

“If he had calmed down, like others who follow his opinion or are on the same opinion as his have calmed down, he wouldn’t have been assassinated! But he has harmed us and he has defamed us with his poetry, and none of you would do this except we would deal with him with the sword!”

Means that he wasn’t killed because of disbelief, or his hatred towards Prophet or Muslims, rather he was killed because “he has harmed us and he has defamed us with his poetry” (means because of his blaspheme)

In another Hadith,

Narrated Sa’id Ibn Yarbu’ al-Makhzumi (RA): The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: on the day of the conquest of Mecca: there are four persons whom I shall not give protection in the sacred and non-sacred territory. He then named them. There were two singing girls of al-Maqis; one of them was killed and the other escaped and embraced Islam. (Sunan Abi Dawud Book 14, Hadith 2678)

Few other hadiths shedding light on few other incidences are as follows,

Narrated Sa’d ibn Abu Waqas (RA): On the day of the conquest of Mecca, Abdullah ibn Sa’d ibn AbuSarh hid himself with Uthman ibn Affan (RA). He brought him and made him stand before the Prophet (peace be upon him), and said: Accept the allegiance of Abdullah, Apostle of Allah! He raised his head and looked at him three times, refusing him each time, but accepted his allegiance after the third time. Then turning to his companions, he said: Was not there a wise man among you who would stand up to him when he saw that I had withheld my hand from accepting his allegiance, and kill him? They said: We did not know what you had in your heart, Apostle of Allah! Why did you not give us a signal with your eye? He said: It is not advisable for a Prophet to play deceptive tricks with the eyes. (Sunan Abi Dawud Book 38, Hadith 4346)

Narrated Abdullah Ibn abbas (RA): A blind man had a slave-mother who used to abuse the Prophet (peace be upon him) and disparage him. He forbade her but she did not stop. He rebuked her but she did not give up her habit. One night she began to slander the Prophet (peace be upon him) and abuse him. So he took a dagger, placed it on her belly, pressed it, and killed her. A child who came between her legs was smeared with the blood that was there. When the morning came, the Prophet (peace be upon him) was informed about it. He assembled the people and said: I adjure by Allah the man who has done this action and I adjure him by my right to him that he should stand up. Jumping over the necks of the people and tremble the man stood up. He sat before the Prophet (peace be upon him) and said: Apostle of Allah! I am her master; she used to abuse you and disparage you. I forbade her, but she did not stop, and I rebuked her, but she did not abandon her habit. I have two sons like pearls from her, and she was my companion. Last night she began to abuse and disparages you. So I took a dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it till I killed her. Thereupon the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Oh be witness, no retaliation is payable for her blood. (Sunan Abi Dawud Book 38, Hadith 4348)

Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib: A Jewess used to abuse the Prophet (peace be upon him) and disparage him. A man strangled her till she died. The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) declared that no recompense was payable for her blood. (Sunan Abi dawud Book 38, Hadith 4349)

Narrated Al-Bara bin Azib (RA): Allah’s Apostle (peace be upon him) sent a group of Ansari men to kill Abu-Rafi. One of them set out and entered their (i.e. the enemies) fort. That man said, “I hid myself in a stable for their animals. They closed the fort gate. Later they lost a donkey of theirs, so they went out in its search. I, too, went out along with them, pretending to look for it. They found the donkey and entered their fort. And I, too, entered along with them. They closed the gate of the fort at night, and kept its keys in a small window where I could see them. When those people slept, I took the keys and opened the gate of the fort and came upon Abu Rafi and said, ‘O Abu Rafi. When he replied me, I proceeded towards the voice and hit him. He shouted and I came out to come back, pretending to be a helper. I said, ‘O Abu Rafi, changing the tone of my voice. He asked me, ‘What do you want; woe to your mother?’ I asked him, ‘What has happened to you?’ He said, ‘I don’t know who came to me and hit me.’ Then I drove my sword into his belly and pushed it forcibly till it touched the bone. Then I came out, filled with puzzlement and went towards a ladder of theirs in order to get down but I fell down and sprained my foot. I came to my companions and said, ‘I will not leave till i hear the wailing of the women.’ So, I did not leave till I heard the women bewailing Abu Rafi, the merchant of Hijaz. Then I got up, feeling no ailment, (and we proceeded) till we came upon the Prophet and informed him.” (Sahih Bukhari Book 52, Hadith 264)

Narrated Anas bin Malik (RA) : On the day of the Conquest, the Prophet (peace be upon him) entered Mecca, wearing a helmet on his head. When he took it off, a man came and said, “Ibn Khatal is clinging to the curtain of the Kaa’ba.” The Prophet said, “Kill him.” (Malik a sub-narrator said, “On that day the Prophet was not in a state of Ihram as it appeared to us and Allah knows better.”) (Sahih Bukhari Book 59, Hadith 582)

Opinion of Scholars on Blasphemy:

Ibn Taymiyah says, .Whoever curses the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) -a Muslim or a non-Muslim- then he must be killed!

Imam Abu Hanifa says that the Muslim speaking against the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) should be executed and if it is a non-Muslim who doesn’t have a contract he should also be executed.

Imam Malik said, .If someone says that the button of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) is dirty, he should be executed!

Even if it is as small as saying that, then this person should be executed!

Imam Malik says, .Whether Muslim or Kafir that doesn’t make difference he should be killed without warning!.

When the Caliph Harun ar Rasheed asked Imam Malik about a man who had spoken against the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).

Imam Malik got angry and said, “O Ameer al Mumineen, how can the Ummah survive when its Prophet is cursed! Whoever curses the Prophets should be executed, and whoever curses the companions of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) should be flogged!”

The very recent issue of blasphemy has provoked the sentiments of Muslims all around the globe and Muslims have started protesting against this very sad incidence. Blasphemy is such a sensitive issue that even though Prophet Muhammad pbuh has been forgiving and kind, yet the blasphemers were severely executed. Now this matter is crystal clear that anyone attacking the honor and dignity of Prophet Muhammad wasn’t forgiven by him then who are we to do that?

All this drama which is always being staged in the name of freedom of expression has got no basis, since we all know that this so called freedom of expression is only being exercised against Muslims, others being exempted. You can only speak false against Islam, its Prophet Muhammad pbuh, its book i.e Qura’n, but mind you; don’t apply the same for Holocaust, Hijab ban in France or any other such issue related to the west. The double standards and what was concealed in their hearts for us Muslims is now clearly visible.

Being Muslims, we can tolerate anything but when it comes to such an issue, there is a clear cut demarcation. Everything has limits and so does the freedom of expression, Islam does not oppose freedom of expression; there is no problem unless it is operated within limits. Even we being Muslims are asked not to mock or insult idols or idol worshippers by any means (Al-Anaam verse 108).

Repeated such incidences and anti-blasphemic feelings created by Islamophobes and fake liberals have created a clear cut boundary, dividing the people into two groups, one who is “enlightened” and is always ready to compromise and the other one who is ready to sacrifice even their lives, if there is a need of that. The former group is trying their best to dilute the seriousness of the issue, people who made so many hue and cries upon the issue of “Asia Bibi” and have given so much hype to the case of “Rimsha Masih”, want those to be forgiven who have hurt the feelings of billions of Muslims.

Now this is the time to take some serious decisions, just babbling and condemning the movie is not enough. If there can be laws about Holocaust and they are taken so seriously by the west then why not blasphemy, which being a serious crime is condemned in all religions. We Muslims have a clear stance that we will never be compromising upon this issue, whenever or whatever the case may be, let it be clear that we are not authorized to forgive anyone on the behalf of our Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) on those issues upon which even he has imposed such severe punishments.

Now many claiming and demanding that these blasphemers should be forgiven as Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was sent as a mercy and has always been forgiving even to his enemies. But this is a separate issue and we need to analyze it further. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) has forgiven all those people who had hurt him personally, be the incidence of Tai’f, or the people who plot to kill him. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) truly demonstrated that he was sent as a mercy for the mankind and has forgiven all those generously. But there were instances, when people tried to ridicule and mocked him as a “Messenger” and these were the instances when those people were not forgiven and were severely executed.

Ibn Taymiyyah says, “After the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) passed away, we cannot forgive anyone. We can forgive people when they harm us, but not when they harm the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)! ”

The Defeat of enemies is near:

Ibn Taymiyah says in As-Sarim-ul-Maslool Ala Shatim ur Rasool, Many Muslims, trust worthy, people of expertise and Fiqh spoke many times about their experiences when they surrounded castles and cities in Sham and surrounded the Christians.

They said we would surround the castle or the city, for a month or more and our besieging of them is doing nothing, and we are almost going to give up and leave. Then when the people of that town or castle, would start cursing the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) suddenly it would fall in our hands, sometimes the delay would not be even a day or two and it would be opened by force. So we would take it as a glad tiding when we would hear them curse the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) even though our hearts would be filled with hatred but we would see it as a glad tiding because it is a sign of our coming victory.

Ayesha AKthar is a doctor in making, she is also a researcher and have in depth knowledge of Islamic creeds. She tweets @a4ambitious and can also be reached through her blog Doctoricious.wordpress.com

Source

nice article brother, i completely agree to this! Fitna is far more dangerous than Blasphemy! Sadly for muslim world every thing is going wrong, going to direction opposite of Quran, Hadith!!

nice article brother, i completely agree to this! Fitna is far more dangerous than Blasphemy! Sadly for muslim world every thing is going wrong, going to direction opposite of Quran, Hadith!!

Ehh...sup with your dp..?

Hey whats wrong with your DP/Avatar, plz correct it.

Between 1986 and 2007, Pakistani authorities charged 647 people with blasphemy offences. Fifty percent of these were non-Muslims, who represent only 3% of the national population. No judicial execution for blasphemy has ever occurred in Pakistan, but 20 of those charged were murdered.

The only law that may be useful in countering misuse of the Blasphemy law is PPC 153 A (a), whoever “by words, either spoken or written, or by signs, or by visible representations or otherwise, promotes or incites, or attempts to promote or incite, on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, caste or community or any other ground whatsoever, disharmony or feelings of enmity, hatred or ill-will between different religious, racial, language or regional groups or castes or communities” shall be fined and punished with imprisonment for a term that may extend to five years.

source: wikipedia

Indian Blasphemy Laws

Section 153A of the penal code says, inter alia:

Whoever (a) by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise, promotes or attempts to promote, on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, caste or community or any other ground whatsoever, disharmony or feelings of enmity, hatred or ill-will between different religious, racial, language or regional groups or castes or communities, or (b) commits any act which is prejudicial to the maintenance of harmony between different religious, racial, language or regional groups or castes or communities, and which disturbs or is likely to disturb the public tranquility, . . . shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.[3]

Enacted in 1927, section 295A says:
Whoever, with deliberate and malicious intention of outraging the religious feelings of any class of [citizens of India], [by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise], insults or attempts to insult the religion or the religious beliefs of that class, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to [three years], or with fine, or with both.[4]

Blasphemy Laws are archaic and belong to middle ages. Pakistan needs to do away with these kind of useless laws that can be manipulated to hurt innocent people.

I see your interest in islam so i like to invite you to accept islam with versus from Yajurveda 40:9 i.e

"Andhatama pravishanti ye asambhuti mupaste"
"They enter darkness, those who worship the natural elements" (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). "They sink deeper in darkness, those who worship sambhuti."
[Yajurveda 40:9]7

Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

So please come out of darkness and seek the true god again versus from Yajurveda 32:3 & Yajurveda 40:8

"na tasya pratima asti
"There is no image of Him."
[Yajurveda 32:3]5

"shudhama poapvidham"
"He is bodyless and pure."
[Yajurveda 40:8]6

once you come out of the darkness and now you know the true god then ask him to guide you and help you to stay in straight path i.e sirat e mustaqeem versus from Yajurveda 40:16

The Yajurveda contains the following prayer:
"Lead us to the good path and remove the sin that makes us stray and wander."
[Yajurveda 40:16]8

Now you know greatness of allmighty and say God is Great as mention in [Atharvaveda 20:58:3]9

"Dev maha osi"
"God is verily great"
[Atharvaveda 20:58:3]9

Now you know the idol & the element you used to worship is not god but created thinks god have no image according to [Yajurveda 32:3]

"Na tasya Pratima asti"
[Yajurveda 32:3]

After seeing all the verses i mention above still you worship idol and Elements like sun ,agni,etc then their is very beautifull verse
in Holy Quran for people like you

[Yusufali 36:8] We have put yokes round their necks right up to their chins, so that their heads are forced up (and they cannot see)

[Shakir 36:9] And We have made before them a barrier and a barrier behind them, then We have covered them over so that they do not see.

[Pickthal 36:10] Whether thou warn them or thou warn them not, it is alike for them, for they believe not.

[Pickthal 36:11] Thou warnest only him who followeth the Reminder and feareth the Beneficent in secret. To him bear tidings of forgiveness and a rich reward.

It is ironic that the very Muslims who criticise the west often end up imitating alien aspects of western thought

The-Qur-an-010.jpg

'There are strict Qur’anic injunctions for those who are deemed to be apostates and heretics or those who revile, curse, taunt or abuse, but these terms all have different contexts and jurisprudential uses from that of blasphemy.' Photograph: Aamir Qureshi/AFP/Getty Images

In the Qur'an there is no equivalent of blasphemy. The idea of reviling the sacred is of course condemned but this is markedly different from the way blasphemy is perceived in post-Enlightenment countries. Believers are urged in the sixth chapter of the Qur'an to "not revile those whom they pray to other than Allah so that they do not revile Allah through their ignorance". In modern Arabic the word used in newspapers and television for blasphemy is tajdeef, from the root ja-da-fa, which among other things can mean to propel a boat using oars. Importantly, the word tajdeef seems to be a recent addition to the language and is not mentioned in the Qur'an.

One of the earliest examples in "Islamic" history of public cursing is found in the books of both the Sunni and Shia traditions. It is recorded that the Umayyad caliph Muawiya ordered that Ali, the cousin and son-in-law of the prophet Muhammad, be publicly cursed from the pulpits of mosques. A number of people disobeyed the order and were punished for this. Subsequently, another Umayyad caliph, Umar bin Abdul Aziz, abolished this practice by invoking the 90th verse of the 16th chapter of the Qur'an which states that "Allah orders that justice and good deeds should be done to kith and kin, and forbids lewdness, immorality and oppression …"

There are strict Qur'anic injunctions for those who are deemed to be apostates and heretics or those who revile, curse, taunt or abuse, but these terms all have different contexts and jurisprudential uses from that of blasphemy. Similarly, the Qur'an takes a very strong view against those who create fitna (strife) but then almost every country has tough laws for the prosecution of those who instigate others in order to create public unrest. The second chapter of the Qur'an says that fitna is worse than killing. Importantly, it seems that the most severe condemnation in the Qur'an is for the munafiqoon (hypocrites). Notably, a hypocrite is the diametric opposite of a blasphemer in that he or she hold conflicting views in public and private while the latter openly airs their views. Thus, the hypocrite is much more dangerous.

The question then arises as to why "Islamic" countries, for instance Pakistan and Indonesia, have such stringent blasphemy laws. Pakistan's law dates back to colonial times and was made even harsher during the presidency of Zia ul-Haq who at the time enjoyed American patronage and was involved in arming the mujahideen against Russia. Indonesia's laws were formulated in 1965. Recently there was a controversy in Indonesia because a Shia scholar was charged among other things with blasphemy and sentenced to five years in prison. This is particularly relevant because the Indonesia's President Yudhoyono, wanted to use his platform at the UN last week to call for an international anti-blasphemy law.

The basic motivation behind these laws seems less to do with religion and more to do with a desire by certain countries to create a homogenous society in terms of religious belief. Thus it leaves very little scope for any form of dissent and facilitates the persecution of minorities. This, of course, is also bolstered by the already exclusionary nature of nationalism. There are a whole series of laws in America and in Europe as well as in "Islamic" countries to do with hate speech and preserving the peace that should be utilised instead and blasphemy laws should be done away with.

Muslims are not permitted to "blaspheme" for in doing so they are actually disobeying clear Qur'anic injunctions that prohibit the slander of other people's beliefs. Those who revile the icons and sacred spaces of others' religions therefore only disrespect the teachings of their own religion. Respect for the sacred spaces of other faiths was famously demonstrated by the second caliph Omar. When Jerusalem was taken he was invited by the patriarch to pray in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. He refused and prayed in the courtyard because he did not want to set precedent and endanger the church's status as a site of Christian worship. Today, it is ironic therefore that the very people who criticise the west and its policies often end up imitating and copying aspects of western thought that do not have their roots in Islamic thought.

Source : Pakistan and Indonesia's blasphemy laws have no basis in the Qur'an | Ali Khan Mahmudabad | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

first came meccah and now quran, looks like the kuffars are more interested in islam then we do

Brother, this is a Pakistani forum, are we supposed to post here news related to Vatican or Tirupati???

Quran & Hadiths were written for betterment of mankind & human society. How can they preach hatred & violence??
But the mess happens when religious fanatics/ political fascist interpret these versus wrongly to provoke extremism in masses without making clarafication of background why that Surah or Hadith was written.
In India Bhagvadgeeta & Vedas was written in Sanskrit,a language of scholars, that refrained majority of masses to read & understand Bhagvadgeeta. Which ultimately resulted in monopoly of brahmins who used these religious text for oppressing peoples. That happened for centuries until social reformers in 16-17th century started Bhakti movement & people like Saint Dnyaneshwar wrote Bhagvadgeeta in language of locals which increased the in-depth & true knowledge of hindu texts in population.

I see your interest in islam so i like to invite you to accept islam with versus from Yajurveda 40:9 i.e

"Andhatama pravishanti ye asambhuti mupaste"
"They enter darkness, those who worship the natural elements" (Air, Water, Fire, etc.). "They sink deeper in darkness, those who worship sambhuti."
[Yajurveda 40:9]7

Sambhuti means created things, for example table, chair, idol, etc.

So please come out of darkness and seek the true god again versus from Yajurveda 32:3 & Yajurveda 40:8

"na tasya pratima asti
[Yajurveda 32:3]5

"shudhama poapvidham"
"He is bodyless and pure."
[Yajurveda 40:8]6

once you come out of the darkness and now you know the true god then ask him to guide you and help you to stay in straight path i.e sirat e mustaqeem versus from Yajurveda 40:16

The Yajurveda contains the following prayer:
"Lead us to the good path and remove the sin that makes us stray and wander."
[Yajurveda 40:16]8

Now you know greatness of allmighty and say God is Great as mention in [Atharvaveda 20:58:3]9

"Dev maha osi"
"God is verily great"
[Atharvaveda 20:58:3]9

Now you know the idol & the element you used to worship is not god but created thinks god have no image according to [Yajurveda 32:3]

"Na tasya Pratima asti"
[Yajurveda 32:3]

After seeing all the verses i mention above still you worship idol and Elements like sun ,agni,etc then their is very beautifull verse
in Holy Quran for people like you

[Yusufali 36:8] We have put yokes round their necks right up to their chins, so that their heads are forced up (and they cannot see)

[Shakir 36:9] And We have made before them a barrier and a barrier behind them, then We have covered them over so that they do not see.

[Pickthal 36:10] Whether thou warn them or thou warn them not, it is alike for them, for they believe not.

[Pickthal 36:11] Thou warnest only him who followeth the Reminder and feareth the Beneficent in secret. To him bear tidings of forgiveness and a rich reward.

Thanks for all the versus you shared here. But friend, I am hindu by birth but atheist by conviction. I am happy with what I am & If I ever think to change my faith I will opt for Buddhism.

Back
Top Bottom