Pak Army seeking to topple govt: reports

NoEscape

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
CNN-IBN
Posted on Aug 21, 2010 at 10:35 | Updated Aug 21, 2010 at 10:39
Islamabad: The floods in Pakistan may have increased the chances of the army taking over from what is seen as an inept civilian government, claim Pakistani media.

Reports coming out of Pakistan hint that the army and its allies are pushing for the formation of a national government without the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party headed by President Asif Ali Zardari.

The reports speculate that the only person to emerge with any credit from the floods that have devastated the country is Pakistan Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Kayani. Media reports suggest that Gen Kayani could move in to topple the incumbent government after the floods when the government is faced with the challenge of rebuilding the country.

However, the Pakistan government has quashed the threat.

"Pakistani Army is doing constitutional duty under orders of the PM. It's a disciplined force," Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi told CNN-IBN.

He also denied reports that the government has ceded relief operations in some areas to terror groups like the Lashkar-e-Taiba and the Jamaat-e-Islami and called them as "exaggeration and propaganda by savvy militants."

It will not be easy to throw out Elected Govt.

Mostly All American Aids including the Kerry Lugar Bill and may be even Defence Deals have Rules tht if the Elected Govt. is thrown out by any Military Rule than the Aid wud be cancelled

Atleast the military Packages are vital for Military and so is Economic packages.. Will they let go all of it ;)

The Goodie Goodie Years of Musharraf have gone when America Supported his Govt.

Last edited:
I hope Gen. Kayani is Smart Thinker..I hope He Knows the Public and International Effects if Elected Pak. Govt. is thrown out this time again

CNN-IBN
Posted on Aug 21, 2010 at 10:35 | Updated Aug 21, 2010 at 10:39
Islamabad: The floods in Pakistan may have increased the chances of the army taking over from what is seen as an inept civilian government, claim Pakistani media.

Reports coming out of Pakistan hint that the army and its allies are pushing for the formation of a national government without the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party headed by President Asif Ali Zardari.

The reports speculate that the only person to emerge with any credit from the floods that have devastated the country is Pakistan Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Kayani. Media reports suggest that Gen Kayani could move in to topple the incumbent government after the floods when the government is faced with the challenge of rebuilding the country.

However, the Pakistan government has quashed the threat.

"Pakistani Army is doing constitutional duty under orders of the PM. It's a disciplined force," Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi told CNN-IBN.

He also denied reports that the government has ceded relief operations in some areas to terror groups like the Lashkar-e-Taiba and the Jamaat-e-Islami and called them as "exaggeration and propaganda by savvy militants."

Utter nonsense, need i remind you Kiyani was hand picked by BB and PPP? How about using your brains for once in a while!

Kayani is in no mood for a coup plain and simple.

There may be impeachment though.

It has happened before,for four times....I will not be surprised if it happens yet again.Whatever predictions we may try to give,we never actually know whatever Gen. Kiyani thinks.

It has happened before,for four times....I will not be surprised if it happens yet again.Whatever predictions we may try to give,we never actually know whatever Gen. Kiyani thinks.
We cannot remain paralyzed to relics of the past. It happened before in very different environments. The understanding that democracy has to work and that military has no role in governance was seeded in since 2002 after which the military has seen a continually receding role from governance.

There is still room for an impeachment, which would be constitutional and totally legit.

Utter nonsense, need i remind you Kiyani was hand picked by BB and PPP? How about using your brains for once in a while!

Kiyani was picked by Gen Musharraf;

Secondly I doubt Kiyani is in this mood; however the only possibility will be if the supreme courts asks the Army to move it.

Army takes over fine ...
If Army does not take over the Government will still fall in a much more catastrophic way.

We cannot remain paralyzed to relics of the past. It happened before in very different environments. The understanding that democracy has to work and that military has no role in governance was seeded in since 2002 after which the military has seen a continually receding role from governance.

There is still room for an impeachment, which would be constitutional and totally legit.

Ah well... relics of the past..just one example..let us not go off topic with this...

The two countries have been in a quite legendary rivalry on the Kashmir issue.At present,Pakistan controls a part of Kashmir and India controls another part.Looking at the current situation as well as the historical past we can understand that it is not possible for any country to make a decisive victory and annex the other part,but still Pakistan started 3 wars to win this territory.

What I am suggesting is no matter what we the common people of both the countries think,the Pakistani Armed forces as well as a large part of the people of the country is still held handicap by the relics of the past.Efforts,that are futile,investments that have no returns,time that is lost,and energy that is wasted.

Well that was just an example.The point that I am tying to create is the relics of the past do play a crucial role in dictating the political games played in Islamabad.

Yet another coup will be bad for Pakistan.It will have negative effects on India and the whole of South Asia as well.So,for the sake of greater good,let us hope that nothing of that sort really happens....

Rubbish report. It's not the first time that this PPP govt has been discredited. I wish people could differentiate between hard facts and their own wishes while writing a news report.

Dumb article even a kid knows it is not happening. You speculate 100 times and accidently 1 comes true, you then claim to be astrologer.

Rubbish report. It's not the first time that this PPP govt has been discredited. I wish people could differentiate between hard facts and their own wishes while writing a news report.

the hard facts is that the govt is corrupt, inept, in disarry, holders of fake degrees, self-serving - the floods have proved that the govt (fed or provincial) do not care abt the plight of the poor people - they had better watch their six, because the people have only so much patience!!!

the junior and mid-level officers and the jawans are directly involved in relief ops - the reports going up to the high command are not painting a 'pretty' picture of the govt in their eyes!

Back
Top Bottom