What's new

PAF rare birds

i suggest mods to make it a sticky thread and i have seen a few more threads circulating on PDF containing PAF rare aircraft details and pictures.merge them all with a title PAF RARE AIRCRAFTS
this could become an information pool about PAF'S RARE aircrafts as other member are contributing to this thread as well.
there are many surprising things about PAF that our younger member don't really know about.

really a great job Hassan1

these a/c never saw any action in the air wars!

Sir Ji, i read somewhere to the effect that in 1970, the US offered Pakistan, 12 F-5s, but the PAF was adamant that 25 is the minimum it would accept. Later on the F-20 Tiger Shark was also displayed to Pakistan but all fingers were pointing towards the F-16s.

What happens to Pakistan's decommissioned fighters and their parts. Some are up for display but obviously sensitive parts like engines have been taken out from the displays what happens to them and can anyone go see the ones not on display officially.?

3supermarineattackersfl.jpg

Supermarine Attackers over Karachi

Sir Ji, i read somewhere to the effect that in 1970, the US offered Pakistan, 12 F-5s, but the PAF was adamant that 25 is the minimum it would accept. Later on the F-20 Tiger Shark was also displayed to Pakistan but all fingers were pointing towards the F-16s.

F5, F20 and the A7 were all offered to PAF before the AF opted for the F16. - F5 and F20 export versions were 'inferior' to USAF F5's.

Sir I might be wrong here but as I recall during the early eighties (I was then regularly following acquisition by all branches of the Armed Forces from US and other supplier countries -- those were the hay days!). PAF was pleasantly surprised when US offered the F-16! I heard this on PTV when the first of the F-16's were landing in Sarghoda from one of the PAF high ups.

I am presuming that the reason why F-16 was offered was that in the past; A-7 Corsairs were offered as a carrot in lieu of the reprocessing plant, than in mid seventies; the F-5 & F-5E, and than the offer to transfer the production of F-5E/F-20 Tigershark to Pakistan was on the table. At the same time I heard that the Hughes Defender or the earlier version was also on the table but both the things never materialized.

These were rumors in the mid seventies and early eighties. You would know better.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom