What's new

PAF and A-10 Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think we have some understanding with US on the retiring AH 1Z choppers ....

Any info on AH 1Z from US?? There were some news on that few years ago wasn't it?

Icarus said in soem thread that Mush had this deal tied up, and according to him and as I understood, it is still on, when the export ban is lifted.

Icarus said in soem thread that Mush had this deal tied up, and according to him and as I understood, it is still on, when the export ban is lifted.

A "deal tied up" means a proper contract approved and funded by both sides. Is there one for the AH-1Zs?

Replacement of AH-1F and AH-1S Platforms
Pakistan currently has 32 AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters. Sustainment of these
aircraft is difficult, but possible through commercial channels. Additionally, the
U.S. Government will use $75 million in FY 2009 Pakistan Counterinsurgency
Funds to update a portion of the existing Cobra fleet. Pakistan will likely seek to
replace its current AH-1F and AH-1S Cobras when the AH-1Z Cobra attack
helicopter becomes available for export, probably in 2015.
The AH-1 Cobra continues to be used at a high operational tempo, and Pakistan
has a need for more attack helicopters for counter-insurgency missions. In the
interim between now and the availability of the AH-1Z, we are implementing a
program to arm Pakistan’s existing fleet of 24 Bell 412 helicopters funded by the
Pakistan Counterinsurgency Fund (PCF).
Pakistan Army envisions acquiring 20 AH-1Z Cobras. The total cost of the
acquisition will be at least $500 million for the helicopters alone, with a total
acquisition cost up to $1 billion. The Pakistani Army will likely seek Foreign
Military Financing (FMF) to fund the purchase of these helicopters.

http://propublica.s3.amazonaws.com/..._Pakistan_assistance_strategy reportFINAL.pdf

500 mill for used 20 cobras....isn't that too much (if true) .

Not exactly..
what it needs is something like the A-37.. low cost.. yet effective.

Hi i have even a better solution. scavenge German stuka bomber/fighters and restore them to its original condition. :rolleyes:

USA and their deals with Pakustan...
1985 jang had big headlines that USA will give AWACS to Pakistan..
Never materialized...

USA and their deals with Pakustan...
1985 jang had big headlines that USA will give AWACS to Pakistan..
Never materialized...

PAF wasn't interested in what USA had to offer then if my memory doesn't deceive me ...

Maybe we should look for three Spectre Gunships! Known platform, spares no issue. Can be reintegrated into the transport fleet once WoT winds down.

Warthog is new platform and becasue of its use as a primarily a tank busting aircraft, it might not be released to PAF.

The A-10 was offered to Pakistan in the 80s and rejected then because we had plenty of money but no insurgency to fight. Now we have an insurgency to fight but we don't have the money for a fuel guzzler like the A-10, not to mention the DU rounds don't exactly come cheap. Another important point to consider is that there is no airfield in FATA that can host an A-10, so if you want a reload or damage control, Peshawar is your best shot. Cobras on the other hand, make good use of fuel, use TOW or Baktar Shikan Missiles and 30mm rounds (plenty of both) and the best part, they can land on a road, field, or even a good given ledge and given a complete reload in 15 minutes by 4 technicians carrying missiles and rounds in a 4x4!
Plus if one engine receive blow, it can still fly on single engine. Has the most powerful engine which can carry stable weight at very slow speed.

Maybe we should look for three Spectre Gunships! Known platform, spares no issue. Can be reintegrated into the transport fleet once WoT winds down.

Warthog is new platform and becasue of its use as a primarily a tank busting aircraft, it might not be released to PAF.

AC-130 Spectres would be quite useful, I agree. Perhaps a domestic project to create a similar capability using self-developed fire-control computers and added guns to an existing C-130 would be worthwhile?

AC-130 Spectres would be quite useful, I agree. Perhaps a domestic project to create a similar capability using self-developed fire-control computers and added guns to an existing C-130 would be worthwhile?

US wont release them to Pakistan, nor do we have cash to buy them. Only thing we do desperately need is, attack helos, UAVs and UCAVs.

Good idea VCheng. Maybe US or Aussie used platforms can structurally strengthend to fire atleast a gatling gun kind of weapon from one side can do the trick here.

Good idea VCheng. Maybe US or Aussie used platforms can structurally strengthend to fire atleast a gatling gun kind of weapon from one side can do the trick here.

I am sure PAC gurus can come up with the airframe modifications to add portholes and reinforcements as needed, and hook up the required fire-control systems, if they set their mind to it.

I am sure PAC gurus can come up with the airframe modifications to add portholes and reinforcements as needed, and hook up the required fire-control systems, if they set their mind to it.

There is no cash available for getting more C-130s. And, yes if PAC decides to do it, it is doable.

There is no cash available for getting more C-130s. And, yes if PAC decides to do it, it is doable.

Please see my original post, and note that I am suggesting modifying an airplane already with Pakistan, not a new plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom