What's new

Over 100,000 people don’t want to live on this planet anymore

who stupid will live on that god damn frozen desert ? you have no liquid water no greeny no sea nothing they are stupids . mars need trillions of$$$ and 100 years for setup a colony on it .

It would be cool for a week, but then it would get boring living in a enclosed dome, and people would eventually get crazy.

Plus Mars cant support life or a thick atmosphere like Earth's because it doesnt have a solid iron core which protects it from the suns radioactive rays which also deplete its atmosphere.

who stupid will live on that god damn frozen desert ? you have no liquid water no greeny no sea nothing they are stupids . mars need trillions of$$$ and 100 years for setup a colony on it .

not if it can be mined for stuff we need back on earth ;)

It would be cool for a week, but then it would get boring living in a enclosed dome, and people would eventually get crazy.

they won't let just anyone go there... but I would advise all human martians to 'try it out here on earth' as part of their training, living in a dome the size of the mars dome, for at least a year or 2, with the same people as will be on the actual trip to mars..

Plus Mars cant support life or a thick atmosphere like Earth's because it doesnt have a solid iron core which protects it from the suns radioactive rays which also deplete its atmosphere.

well that means that dome should be expanded at every chance. wouldn't hurt to put a large park in there as well, to reduce the chance of everyone going nuts..

That would be crazy, but in the initial stages it would suck. If would take decades to set up an infrastructure for a human colony. I'm guessing they would be going the bio-dome route, but what they use for a source of energy?

this might explain it;
http://www.mars-one.com/en/faq-en/24-technology/261-will-there-be-enough-power-during-a-dust-storm said:
Will there be enough power during a dust storm? - Mars One

Will there be enough power during a dust storm?
Mars One has designed the Mars mission to fully exploit, wherever possible, solar power generation. The mission design makes use of ‘thin film’ solar panels, which are extremely light and can be easily transported.

Solar power however has a few disadvantages: during night time, the energy must come from batteries; and during dust storms, the solar panels will yield less energy.

The solar panel system used by Mars One will deliver enough energy to power all critical systems during a dust storm.

Non-critical systems however will be shut down or restricted, to save energy:

Oxygen and water will come primarily from the storage tanks (not from powered extraction)
Dirty water will be stored (for later recycling, when full power is available)
Oxygen from the storage tanks will be consumed
Greenhouse lighting will be dimmed
EVAs will be limited to emergency repairs
Rover operation will be limited
The astronauts will have enough water stored for 15 days of normal water usage, and for 150 days if usage is limited. The oxygen storage tanks will contain enough oxygen for 60 days. Because electrical power is so critical for the survival of the crew, extra safety margins will be built into the power usage profiles for dust storms.

When required, the Rover can be used to remove dust from the solar panels.

automatically activated dust-wipers, bit like rainwipers on cars perhaps? :)

http://www.mars-one.com/en/faq-en/24-technology/261-will-there-be-enough-power-during-a-dust-storm said:
Other methods of power generation that could potentially be used on Mars are not yet available as existing technology. The most commonly referred to alternative is nuclear power. While nuclear power is a commonly used technology on Earth, a nuclear power generator for use on Mars does not yet exist, and will take many years to develop.

FAQ - Mars One

You can take the man out of the planet, but you can't take the planet out of the man.

Any colonists will turn Mars into another Earth -- the good and the bad.

Let's start taking bets on when the Mars colony will demand independence from Earth... (tip: you might want to research how much mineable resources Mars offers to Earth ;))

Let's start taking bets on when the Mars colony will demand independence from Earth... (tip: you might want to research how much mineable resources Mars offers to Earth ;))

If Earth wanted extraterrestrial resources, it would probably be much more economical to mine the asteroids than to mine Mars.

If Earth wanted extraterrestrial resources, it would probably be much more economical to mine the asteroids than to mine Mars.

which asteroids? not the ones in the kuiper belt i think?

and i dunno the contents of asteroids or martian soil, so I wouldn't be able to tell which is more profitable.

my guess is that we'll mine anything that has resources and is the cheapest to mine and bring back.

1005805_622293977803452_1709459158_n.jpg

which asteroids? not the ones in the kuiper belt i think?

and i dunno the contents of asteroids or martian soil, so I wouldn't be able to tell which is more profitable.

my guess is that we'll mine anything that has resources and is the cheapest to mine and bring back.

The Kuiper Belt is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there.

I was talking about the asteroid belt, between Mars and Jupiter, and these tiny rocks (the size of a grain of sand to a small mountain) would be far cheaper to mine than any planet because you wouldn't have to lift the material through a planet's gravity well.

Martian mineral would strictly be useful for domestic use, unless they were very very rare indeed.

The Kuiper Belt is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there.

I was talking about the asteroid belt, and they would be far cheaper to mine than any planet because you wouldn't have to lift the material through a planet's gravity well.

Martian mineral would strictly be useful for domestic use, unless they were very very rare indeed.

I suppose you got a good point with that gravity well argument, at least until some very useful crazy scientist perfects an anti-graviton generator ;)..

I do wonder where this asteroid belt is that you mention..

I do wonder where this asteroid belt is that you mention..

nj51a17cb8.jpg

I'll assume you know enough about astronomy to work out where is what....as for contents of asteroids:

In space, a single platinum-rich 500 meter wide asteroid contains about 174 times the yearly world output of platinum, and 1.5 times the known world-reserves of platinum group metals (ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium, and platinum). This amount is enough to fill a basketball court to four times the height of the rim. By contrast, all of the platinum group metals mined to date in history would not reach waist-high on that same basketball court.

http://www.planetaryresources.com/asteroids/composition/

On Mars like on Earth, soil has metals accumulated only from asteroid impacts, because in the distant past Mars' gravity pulled all the valuable metals inside. So, one could assume the density of metals on metallic asteroids is much greater then on Martian surface.

Also, feasibility study was recently completed by NASA, i actually opened a thread about it in Sci&Tech part of the forum:

http://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/2012_phase_I_fellows_cohen.html#.UgoJdNKBkeY

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/740784main_Cohen_Spring_Symposium_2013.pdf

LOL, it's not that they don't want to live on this planet...

It is that they would prefer to live on Mars. :cheesy:
but same humans make it like earth as well ......

We should claim Mars as our own before US declares it as its 5st state!!
For that we need many high technologies no body will care abt someons claim while standing on the earth

First maximum look at the moon, astrodies and Mars much later, also whatever rare earth metals would be mined its going only to USA, we all will only see

Those didnt have job or are depressed peoples thinking every thing will change Immediately upon reaching

images

That would be crazy, but in the initial stages it would suck. If would take decades to set up an infrastructure for a human colony. I'm guessing they would be going the bio-dome route, but what they use for a source of energy?
Due to no atmosphere solar radiations are 100 times or more so ofcourse solar GREEN energy.

Back
Top Bottom