What's new

One dead in Bangladesh as violent clashes spread

Andaleev Rahman is an Indian agent. He spent 10 years in India absconding after killing a fellow student. His father was one of the most corrupt people in Bangladesh. If he comes to power he will be worse than Sheikh Kamal.
Really? :confused: seemed like a sensible person

Really? :confused: seemed like a sensible person

He is a thug. He had a partnership with 12 other barristers in a law college in Dhaka. I was informed that each barrister invested 12 lacs in the project. Two years after the college opened he took over the interests of the other barristers at gun point. Looks can be deceiving. He is a member of the Sheikh family and cannot be trusted.

Thats it i am joining politics soon right after my law school. I want to work for DGFI aswell.

He is a thug. He had a partnership with 12 other barristers in a law college in Dhaka. I was informed that each barrister invested 12 lacs in the project. Two years after the college opened he took over the interests of the other barristers at gun point. Looks can be deceiving. He is a member of the Sheikh family and cannot be trusted.

Makes you think about the future of Bangladesh :disagree:

only Significant point is - this was the first time a hartal was called and made successful country wide by a third party - not Awami BNP

Wow, that's a first isn't it. What do you think this could mean? Could this "war crimes" trial become the catalyst for Jamaat's transformation into a stronger party?

Wow, that's a first isn't it. What do you think this could mean? Could this "war crimes" trial become the catalyst for Jamaat's transformation into a stronger party?

Jamaat still represents a small fraction of the electorate. It can only become a truly national party if it takes on wider issues related to good governance, eliminating corruption and stopping India.

Jamaat still represents a small fraction of the electorate. It can only become a truly national party if it takes on wider issues related to good governance, eliminating corruption and stopping India.

If I remember correctly, someone referred to Erdogan and his party in another thread and how they were some sort of an Islamist party that changed and got the their position today. If that is true, would you say that Jamaat's recent move to remove directly Islamic clauses from their constitution will help them to garner more support if they take on the wider issues you mentioned?

If I remember correctly, someone referred to Erdogan and his party in another thread and how they were some sort of an Islamist party that changed and got the their position today. If that is true, would you say that Jamaat's recent move to remove directly Islamic clauses from their constitution will help them to garner more support if they take on the wider issues you mentioned?

I think that is a strong possibility provided they remove the top leadership associated with 1971.

1. The army has its flaws but it saved Bangladesh in 2008 with the Awami League threatening to besiege Dhaka (the national capital of a sovereign UN member state) and even hints of dividing the country, with the takeover.

2. The Fakhruddin government also had its flaws but it was far more efficient and productive.

3. If there is a new military-backed technocratic government they will not repeat the mistakes of last time.

Minus 2 was not implemented last time as the US sabotaged it, but this time it may become a reality.

Muhammad Yunus and Andaleev Rahman are names to watch out for according to my sources.

I normally agree with U bro, but U can't put BAL fagots with other political parties in the same basket. NO matter how U want to compare, no other party can measure up to the corruption, anti-state dalali, political killings, nepotism, destruction of all major institutes incl. the army, state sponsored terrorism done these BAL malauns. Didn't they say that this moin-fakir gov was a fruit of their struggle? Without this moin-fakir gov these malauns would not have been in power. Just look at the ways these malauns came to power historically. Not even once via normal democratic process. In 96 they came via the jonotar moncho drama, that destroyed BD bureaucracy and this time their march to power started with the 28oct, 2006 massacre that bought this moin-fakir gov to power. No matter how U look at it, none of those events were normal.

How can U even give them the credit of saving BD. Indian dalali was started by these moin-fakir gov in the first place.

I normally agree with U bro, but U can't put BAL fagots with other political parties in the same basket. NO matter how U want to compare, no other party can measure up to the corruption, anti-state dalali, political killings, nepotism, destruction of all major institutes incl. the army, state sponsored terrorism done these BAL malauns. Didn't they say that this moin-fakir gov was a fruit of their struggle? Without this moin-fakir gov these malauns would not have been in power. Just look at the ways these malauns came to power historically. Not even once via normal democratic process. In 96 they came via the jonotar moncho drama, that destroyed BD bureaucracy and this time their march to power started with the 28oct, 2006 massacre that bought this moin-fakir gov to power. No matter how U look at it, none of those events were normal.

How can U even give them the credit of saving BD. Indian dalali was started by these moin-fakir gov in the first place.

I will respond to a couple of people and their points including Aazidane, but first Luffy.

1. In terms of violence and criminality the Awami League far far outstrips the much more moderate BNP.

The Awami Leagues "student wings" are actually mafia-terror wings.

Ironically they even fight with each other and if it wasn't for the existence of the Hasina-Mujib family then the Awami League would collapse in to different warring (and equally violent) factions as was the case before they asked her to become their leader a few decades ago.

2. The Awami League (AL) does seem to be involved in the massacre of army officers in Pilkhana, but in the long run they will suffer the consequences of this.

3. However the Awami League was essentially threatening to destroy Bangladesh and even hinting of partitioning the country, besieging Dhaka and destroying all life in the country until the army stepped in.

The CTG (it wasn't an army takeover or army government as such but a civilian technocratic government which was supported by the army) was more of an American move rather than an Awami one. The CTG was serious about minus 2 and even tried for a short time to facilitate a Yunus party, but the timid and naive Yunus became scared of the dirty world of politics and quickly exited

4. The army and the CTG did save the country and Bangladeshis were disgusted by the billions that Tariq Zia stole (I have a friend who absolutely hates the Awami League and would celebrate the day that Hasina would experience a certain "fate") but he himself has said of how his relatives in Dhaka had to personally pay bribe money to Tariq. Dhaka is not that big, and anyone major in Bangladesh eventually knows everyone else so the whole Bangladeshi elite knew Tariq was a crook, a scumbag and a bast**d.

In the light of this wholesale looting of Bangladesh, plunder of the country for half a decade by the BNP that the CTG and the public were angry with them. Were they to be angry with the opposition Awami League who did nothing (as they were out of power)?

5. The CTG ran the country efficiently and was a very useful demonstration of how Bangladesh can be run properly given the right governance, and even to this day many people refer back to the CTG period when many sectors were more smoothly. You do not have to be a big mouth show off who openly boasts of working for the "secret" services of Bangladesh (e.g. DGFI) and constantly trying to impress people with your supposed "contacts" to be able to evaluate the CTG. They ruled a whole nation and what they did impacted the whole nation so 160 million Bangladeshis experienced their rule and can say in general it was more efficient and less violent.

6. The problem with the CTG and Moin was that they did not realize minus 2 and the US sabotaged minus 2 and worked for Hasina to come back.

Given that the BNP had engaged in wholesale looting of the country, this was the logical thing to do. Many here on this forum are very partisan and inherently anti-India (and to an extent anti-Hindu) and would thus oppose the Awami League no matter what. However for the vast majority of pragmatists (like myself) the BNP was a no-no.

The BNP and especially the criminal, Tariq, were taught a lesson. The US worked to put Hasina back in power, but this time Hasina had to be more responsible than in her previous tenure in office, which she has proven to be. Fundamentally apart from the petty politics of "Mujib/Zia is better" not much changes in BD.

1. Defence: BD is aligned with China, gets arms from China and is anti-India.

2. Exports: Garments industry.

3. Hard currency: Mainly from remittance primarily the Gulf

4. Indian policy: Even the "pro-Indian" Awami League will not give India transit.

The US and others know this and in addition to the ruling party, there are industrialists, army officers, civil society, NGOS, foreign states all of whom restrict the power of the government to do what they want.

The US, often maligned, respects Bangladesh and the Bangladeshi people and wishes to see it follow the path of Indonesia which since proper parliamentary democracy has experienced massive economic growth and is sometimes even cited as a country which should be added to BRIC (BRIIC if you include Indonesia).

*7. Jamat has done nothing impressive here. One does not have to be a genius or great party to be able to organize street violence and destabilization. Where Jamat (Pakistani-wannabes) and the BNP fail is that they fail to provide a satisfactory ideology for non-fundamentalist, non-Pakistanophile Bangladeshis who are not secular but Muslim but are proud of being Bangladeshi. The fundamentalist ideology of Jamat and their extreme Pakistanophilia turns moderate Bangladeshis off who ultimately think the Awami League is a lesser evil.

Ultimately Jamat and Jamatis instead of gloating over causing street violence and mayhem, as well as the BNP need to work on producing quality books, publications on the pre-71 history and culture of Muslim Bengal, as a key part of the Indo-Awami programme is to strip Bangladeshis of all consciousness of their pre-71 or pre-47 Muslim Bengali identity and instead to keep a 71-centric or 71-obsessed mentality which is secular anti-Pakistan and pro-India.

This 71-mania and distancing from Islam and traditional Muslim Bengali culture and adoption of pro-Hindu secularism is seen by some as merely a prelude to further secularization, Hindophilia and ultimately Bengalis viewing themselves as culturally a sub-category of Indians. Look at Zabaniya type pro-Indians who even question the feasibility of an independent Bangladesh.

Sorry for the long post, but it was important to say some things.

....Bangladesh has 2 major parties. One is left of the political spectrum, the other to the right. One has religious ideology and pro business, the other more secular with liberal values. Just like the democratic and the republican party of USA. Our country has come a long way since we embraced democracy with putting up 6% growth.
Even 10 to 15 years ago, we used to have hartals atleast 5 times a month, now it has curbed down to ones a month. Various reforms have taken place which have increased our hdi and living standard in the path of democracy. What we need is more reforms, there is a clause in our constitution xalled 70 ko, where if MPs from their respective parties vote against their own party at the parliament then their parliament membership maybe cancelled. This has to change for the sake of democracy, but for a poor country like Bangladesh this has its downsides due to corruption and the need for more.
Having a fascist government would put everything in jeopardy, the progress we made. What makes you so sure the next government will be any less corrupt? The russian revolution along with the french revolution has taught us otherwise. Andaleeb Rahman is as corrupt as it gets, his father was as corrupt as it got. He runs a big voip business ring just like Joy and is married to Sheikh Selim's daughter. He is a likeable charecter due to his charm and his thousand dollar suits, besides that he is a power hungry indian dalal through and through..

1. BNP and Awami League are not that different and whoever is in power cannot change a lot of key things (mentioned above).

- There are always millions of expats in the GCC sending in back billions.
- BRAC and other powerful NGOs will still be around.
- Islam cannot be harmed too much, though many senior "intellectuals" in the Awami League have a deep and fanatical hatred for Islam.
- America cannot be offended too much.
- Defence and geo-strategic ties with China.

2. So they work within those parameters and there are some things they can change. However the government is not the "nation" and the nation will never accept some things e.g. even secularist Hasina had to back down from changing laws about inheritance based on the Quran.

3. As a nation, 3 steps forward 2 steps back, we are generally going in the right direction, following the path of Indonesia (whom we were ahead of a few decades back). How many nations can say their economy has expanded by 25% over the past four years?

If we carry on at this rate we will be fine.

The power of the politicians though limited is becoming more and more limited due to the increasing power of the people, social media and other media to the extent that one day being a politician will be a hard job where you will face so much criticism and scrutiny that you will indeed be not much more than a glorified civil servant.

Politicians after all are merely servants, serving the people.

4. As for Andaleev Rahman, he is not perfect far from it. Yes he is indeed married to someone from Hasina's family hence Hasina is ok with him and lets him criticize some govt policies.

Notice I have not endorsed him, merely that he is in touch with some very "influential" people whom shall remain unmentioned.

1. The army has its flaws but it saved Bangladesh in 2008 with the Awami League threatening to besiege Dhaka (the national capital of a sovereign UN member state) and even hints of dividing the country, with the takeover.

1/11 was inevitable partly due to Zia's greed.

2. The Fakhruddin government also had its flaws but it was far more efficient and productive.

Bangladesh's economy was not hit by a truck. It was hit by a tank at the time! Yes, it was hit hard. It'll take years to recover from the damage that Moin-Fakir government did.

3. If there is a new military-backed technocratic government they will not repeat the mistakes of last time.

A one-party state? Not bad, but needs public support and highly organized. Military should not have any role in politics whatsoever.

Though, I doubt if it'd work out.

Minus 2 was not implemented last time as the US sabotaged it, but this time it may become a reality.

That would be India actually. Moin's brother had good links with them.

The US along with the Western bloc were duped into the whole thing.

Muhammad Yunus and Andaleev Rahman are names to watch out for according to my sources.

Andaleev? Buurr....

It's very unlikely that Dr. Yunus would play any active role in the politics of Bangladesh. He made it very clear from the beginning that his party will only be a sidelined one, kinda like a forum.

Even that incurred the wrath of Hasina!

In his own words:
Nera ekbarae bel tholai jai

I'm saying this even though I am an avid supporter of Dr. Yunus.

No doubt, they have potential.

Along with what you've stated, they need to change their Cold War-era image. Those are mandatory for them to gain support move the nation forward. Not a step back.

1/11 was inevitable partly due to Zia's greed.

Bangladesh's economy was not hit by a truck. It was hit by a tank at the time! Yes, it was hit hard. It'll take years to recover from the damage that Moin-Fakir government did.

A one-party state? Not bad, but needs public support and highly organized. Military should not have any role in politics whatsoever.

Though, I doubt if it'd work out.

That would be India actually. Moin's brother had good links with them.

The US along with the Western bloc were duped into the whole thing.

Andaleev? Buurr....

It's very unlikely that Dr. Yunus would play any active role in the politics of Bangladesh. He made it very clear from the beginning that his party will only be a sidelined one, kinda like a forum.

Even that incurred the wrath of Hasina!

In his own words:
Nera ekbarae bel tholai jai

I'm saying this even though I am an avid supporter of Dr. Yunus.

Moin's brother Was a non entity, if by you meant the oldest brother. Its just propaganda, all he did was sell more indian trucks during the cg. Another brother is called javed, he was an out and out dalal and another brother is just a plain alcoholic. The alcoholic's niece is a 'friend' of mine, she recently got married. According to her their family owns a denim factory, but after asking the right people i find out they own a gorur khamar. Moin u ahmed went to an indian academy, he had direct links to delhi, none of his family had anything to do with it.

I will respond to a couple of people and their points including Aazidane, but first Luffy.

1. In terms of violence and criminality the Awami League far far outstrips the much more moderate BNP.

The Awami Leagues "student wings" are actually mafia-terror wings.

Ironically they even fight with each other and if it wasn't for the existence of the Hasina-Mujib family then the Awami League would collapse in to different warring (and equally violent) factions as was the case before they asked her to become their leader a few decades ago.

2. The Awami League (AL) does seem to be involved in the massacre of army officers in Pilkhana, but in the long run they will suffer the consequences of this.

True. Fully agree and I guess on these points, all Bangladeshis barring ultra awami lunatics have a unanimous opinion.

3. However the Awami League was essentially threatening to destroy Bangladesh and even hinting of partitioning the country, besieging Dhaka and destroying all life in the country until the army stepped in.

The CTG (it wasn't an army takeover or army government as such but a civilian technocratic government which was supported by the army) was more of an American move rather than an Awami one. The CTG was serious about minus 2 and even tried for a short time to facilitate a Yunus party, but the timid and naive Yunus became scared of the dirty world of politics and quickly exited

Actually they knew what they were doing and the possible consequences. They simply didn't want to go to an election under a neutral CT system fearing defeat. (yes they would have lost, as the 4 party didn't do all that bad in those 5 years.) Also they took part in the power sharing ceremony of moin-fakir gov. It was as if they were all pre-planned.

4. The army and the CTG did save the country and Bangladeshis were disgusted by the billions that Tariq Zia stole (I have a friend who absolutely hates the Awami League and would celebrate the day that Hasina would experience a certain "fate") but he himself has said of how his relatives in Dhaka had to personally pay bribe money to Tariq. Dhaka is not that big, and anyone major in Bangladesh eventually knows everyone else so the whole Bangladeshi elite knew Tariq was a crook, a scumbag and a bast**d.

I want to hold an ambiguous opinion on this matter. None of those charges against him are proved yet. Facts about concoction and fabrication about Koko's money laundering case have got lime lights recently.

In the light of this wholesale looting of Bangladesh, plunder of the country for half a decade by the BNP that the CTG and the public were angry with them. Were they to be angry with the opposition Awami League who did nothing (as they were out of power)?

Astronomical level of media PR went on against BNP in this period bro. And these cases are yet to be proved in a awami controlled court.

*7. Jamat has done nothing impressive here. One does not have to be a genius or great party to be able to organize street violence and destabilization. Where Jamat (Pakistani-wannabes) and the BNP fail is that they fail to provide a satisfactory ideology for non-fundamentalist, non-Pakistanophile Bangladeshis who are not secular but Muslim but are proud of being Bangladeshi. The fundamentalist ideology of Jamat and their extreme Pakistanophilia turns moderate Bangladeshis off who ultimately think the Awami League is a lesser evil.

I don't think they are pakistanophile anymore. U see even though they opposed Sub-partition they ultimately moved on with PAK accepting reality. Then after 71 they moved on with BD accepting reality. This shows that they are flexible and pragmatic. Their goal is not PAK but Islamic governance in BD. They never said stuff like we want reunion knowing full well that under intl. and dmoestic geopolitics its not possible.

As for moderate bangladeshis, they are mainly neutral and mainly votes for BNP when poll comes. That's the trend. BAL-BNP always shared a vote bank of 30-30 with JI say 10 and this rest 30% as neutral. These neutral 30 % are not secular, that's for sure.

Ultimately Jamat and Jamatis instead of gloating over causing street violence and mayhem, as well as the BNP need to work on producing quality books, publications on the pre-71 history and culture of Muslim Bengal, as a key part of the Indo-Awami programme is to strip Bangladeshis of all consciousness of their pre-71 or pre-47 Muslim Bengali identity and instead to keep a 71-centric or 71-obsessed mentality which is secular anti-Pakistan and pro-India.

This 71-mania and distancing from Islam and traditional Muslim Bengali culture and adoption of pro-Hindu secularism is seen by some as merely a prelude to further secularization, Hindophilia and ultimately Bengalis viewing themselves as culturally a sub-category of Indians. Look at Zabaniya type pro-Indians who even question the feasibility of an independent Bangladesh.

Actually JI walas are being heavily oppressed by BAL over the last 4 years. Imagine, they are not even allowed to hold official party meetings rather they had hold it in secret. How long can someone tap such frustrations and tolerate oppression by state sponsored thugs? In a police state like ours now, this kind of things are bound to happen.

As for writing true history, I agree with U. The Opposition utterly failed in the media related aspects. The media is overwhelming in baised toward BAL. Anyone going against Awami version, is labeled is razakar / jamati so much so that even BNP doesn't want to raise the issue. 40 years of brainwashing doesn't go away easily and correction of history will take time. I think they should start by slowly talking about the 1857 mutiny, bengal partition and muslim under congress-british oppression. Then move on to partition of 47 and Indo-awami schemes. It will take time and can't be done overnight and it will also require strong unity among the oppostion forces, strong ideological and moral character. But I believe it will happen oneday, as truth without a doubt always prevails in the end. Awami-Indian PR is just 40-60 years old. It won't last forever inshallah. :)

Back
Top Bottom