What's new

Olympic dream dashed for Indian gold medallists

fast

Reaction score
Olympics mess: Association snubs Asian Games gold medallist

Imagine two of Asia’s top athletes knocking on various doors to collect Rs 30,000 so that they can have a shot at qualifying for the London Olympics? Actually, drop the imagination and get a harsh welcome to reality. It is also one of those ‘strange’ things that you can add into your ‘It happens only in India’ list.

P Kunhumohammed — 400m runner and Joseph G Abraham— gold medalist at the Asian Games in 400m hurdles needed to fly to Colombo to participate in Sri Lanka’s National Athletics Championship that could have culminated in Olympic qualification. They needed just Rs 30,000 to make that trip.

But they couldn’t get it. It was their last chance and now it’s gone. Official apathy? Of course.

Bureaucracy and a lack of funds have forced some athletes to stay home as their teammates gun for glory in Britain.AFP

“We knocked on several doors in Kerala but no one came forward. I checked my account and it had only Rs 9,000,” Kunhumohammed was quoted as saying in a Times of India report.

Bureaucracy and a lack of funds have forced them to stay home as their teammates gun for glory in Britain. To top it all, Kunhumohammed needed to shave off a few milliseconds to qualify. His personal best was 46.14 seconds at the Asian GP and the qualification mark is 45.90 seconds. It was the same for Joseph Abraham, whose timing of 49.98s isn’t far from the qualification target of 49.80s.

Lijo Thottan, the assistant national coach tried to get in touch with the association’s officials but all he could get was the timeless excuse: “the president is out of station.”

The whole situation is ridiculous especially when you see the amount of money India spent on hosting the Commonwealth Games or for that matter the largely unknown Afro-Asian Games in 2003.

A report said Rs 28,054 crores were spent on hosting the Commonwealth Games. The obvious argument is that most of that money was spent on infrastructure which indirectly affected the athletes but look at the scandal that followed.

The Afro-Asian Games, which are now almost defunct, incurred a cost 21 crores in Hyderabad. And what about Uttar Pradesh chief minister Akhilesh Yadav, who thought about allowing MLAs to use Rs 20 lakh from their development fund on cars?

There are numerous other instances like this. And when you consider what it means to two athletes desperate to represent their nation at the highest level, falling short of Rs 30,000, it is just heartbreaking.

Olympics mess: Association snubs Asian Games gold medallist | Firstpost

Aren't there commercial sponsorship for athletics in India? Like Nike sponsoring some runners as long as they wear Nike.

Aren't there commercial sponsorship for athletics in India? Like Nike sponsoring some runners as long as they wear Nike.

Companies support only handful of athletes those who have performed well in the international level ..
Hardly any company would take a risk by sponsoring a national level athlete

Irony is that both in India and Pakistan the only sports which companies are interested in is Cricket, which i find unfair, feel sorry for those two

Irony is that both in India and Pakistan the only sports which companies are interested in is Cricket, which i find unfair, feel sorry for those two

The obsession with cricket stems more from commercial reasons , the players are more visible as compared to some bloke who shall run in a track & field event.

P Kunhumohammed — 400m runner and Joseph G Abraham
Is it something to do with their religion?Religious racism or discrimination i think which is deeply ingrained in indian bureaucracy.

Is it something to do with their religion?Religious racism or discrimination i think which is deeply ingrained in indian bureaucracy.

yes exactly! you can not be right more!! That's the root cause which you the sane mind has finally identified..

Conspiracy theories ..ehh??

Must we always look for shadows where there are none ?

allow him to express his views.. maybe he is right.. or maybe he is wrong..

for a country like India where sportsmen and sportswomen are treated like this, India deserves to be thrown out of field events in olympics. ******* bureaucrats.

Must we always look for shadows where there are none ?
Ofcourse why not?When every indian is aware of this fact of indian politics and bureaucracy such kinds of doubts will always be raised.And its not CT but a valid doubt.

Ofcourse why not?When every indian is aware of this fact of indian politics and bureaucracy such kinds of doubts will always be raised.And its not CT but a valid doubt.

Well, your opinion.

My suggestion is to look things positively .

WATCH YOUR DREAMS ;THEY BECOME THOUGHTS.

WATCH YOUR THOUGHTS ;THEY BECOME WORDS.

WATCH YOUR WORDS ;THEY BECOME ACTIONS.

WATCH YOUR ACTIONS ;THEY BECOME HABITS.

WATCH YOUR HABITS ;THEY BECOME THE CHARACTER.

WATCH YOUR CHARACTER ;IT BECOMES YOUR DESTINY.

Well, your opinion.

My suggestion is to look things positively .

WATCH YOUR DREAMS ;THEY BECOME THOUGHTS.

WATCH YOUR THOUGHTS ;THEY BECOME WORDS.

WATCH YOUR WORDS ;THEY BECOME ACTIONS.

WATCH YOUR ACTIONS ;THEY BECOME HABITS.

WATCH YOUR HABITS ;THEY BECOME THE CHARACTER.

WATCH YOUR CHARACTER ;IT BECOMES YOUR DESTINY.

And for that destiny then you beg:cry: . It is our fault as a society .

Back
Top Bottom