What's new

NSA whistleblower in China

U.S. intelligence officials on the trail of rogue contractor Edward Snowden are now treating the National Security Agency leak case as a possible foreign espionage matter, raising fears that the 29-year-old computer whiz may be attempting to defect to China with a trove of America's most sensitive secrets, according to U.S. officials.

"We need to ask a lot more questions about his motives, his connections, where he ended up, why he is there, how is he sustaining himself while he is there, and [if] the Chinese government [is] fully cooperating," Rogers said. "I think those would be all great questions to chase down."

Jeremy Bash, former CIA and Pentagon Chief of Staff, told ABC News today that the possibility of Snowden defecting to China, or even cooperating with Chinese officials, is a top concern for U.S. officials.

"He could do tremendous damage," Bash said during an interview for the ABC News/Yahoo Power Players series. "I think if a foreign government learned everything that was in Edward Snowden's brain, they would have a good window into the way we collect signals intelligence… He had access to highly classified information."

U.S. Fears Edward Snowden May Defect to China: Sources - ABC News

BEIJING: China has given the impression it will not readily accept a US request for the extradition of whistleblower Edward Snowden, who has exposed Washington's cyber monitoring activities, from his present location in Hong Kong. There are signs the Hong Kong administration will neither readily accept such a request nor reject it outright.

"Unfortunately, I have no information right now to provide to you," Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said on Thursday in reply to questions from journalists about how Beijing will handle the issue.

Extradition to US? ‘Wait and watch’ for China on Snowden - The Times of India

US should "explain hacking activity" - Xinhua | English.news.cn

BEIJING, June 14 (Xinhuanet) -- The United States owes China an explanation about its hacking activities and should show more sincerity in the future when engaging in cybersecurity cooperation between the two countries, experts in Beijing said.

Washington is now in an awkward position regarding its cybersecurity dispute with Beijing, following revelations by whistle-blower Edward Snowden that the US has been hacking into computers in China for years, Jia Xiudong, a senior researcher of US studies at the China Institute of International Studies, said on Thursday.

He does not defect to China. He just goes to HK.

Let's not twist what really happens.

he came to china. making a stop at hk is just to make this defection look better. this is defection because 1) while he claims to be protected by hk laws, he knows hk laws are really protected by chinese arms and 2) should hk laws refuse to protect him, he knows he can be protected by chinese arms regardless - this is defection because he has forsaken the protection of angloamerican war machines and chosen the strong shield that is the noble chinese military.

Extraditing Snowden an unwise decision
(Global Times)
08:15, June 17, 2013

Peopledaily.com.cn

More than 20 public organizations in Hong Kong launched a demonstration last weekend, backing ex-CIA whistle-blower Edward Snowden. In the meantime, Leung Chun-ying, Chief Executive of Hong Kong, has said that the government will handle it "in accordance with the laws and established procedures of Hong Kong." A poll initiated by the South China Morning Post shows that more than half the Hong Kongers surveyed are opposed to extraditing Snowden back to the US. But Beijing has not yet made an explicit statement.

Washington must be grinding its teeth because Snowden's revelations have almost overturned the image of the US as the defender of a free Internet. After losing this image, which has been abused by the US government to boss others around, there is no way it won't want Snowden to be extradited.

However, it would be a face-losing outcome for both the Hong Kong SAR government and the Chinese Central government if Snowden is extradited back to the US. Unlike a common criminal, Snowden did not hurt anybody. His "crime" is that he blew the whistle on the US government's violation of civil rights. His action supported "human rights" as defined in the UN Charter, and has been applauded worldwide.

Snowden believes in the democracy and freedom of Hong Kong. His whistle-blowing is in the global public interest. Therefore, extraditing Snowden back to the US would not only be a betrayal of Snowden's trust, but a disappointment for expectations around the world. The image of Hong Kong would be forever tarnished.

Diplomatically, Snowden has cast a shadow over the new Sino-US relationship right after the Xi-Obama meeting. The sooner the incident is wrapped up, the better the ties between the two countries will be.

Cyber attacks, a weapon frequently used by the US government, have turned out to be its own Achilles' heel. China is generous enough not to hype this incident in consideration of the Sino-US relationship.

The Chinese government has no responsibility to help the US quench the fire.

Sino-US ties have their own flexibility. On the one hand, under pressure from public opinion, Washington must have made preparations in case it can't extradite Snowden. On the other hand, Beijing needs to demonstrate it can't just be pushed according to Washington's wishes.

The consequences of extraditing Snowden back to the US would be more troublesome than the alternative, because the local reaction would bring more trouble to Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland.

China's growing power is attracting people to seek asylum in China. This is unavoidable and should be used to accumulate moral standing.

The "no comment" attitude of the Chinese Central government and the ambiguous statements from the Hong Kong administration are the proper responses. China should follow public opinion and safeguard its interests.

Edward Snowden: US won't be able to cover up by murdering me

17 Jun 2013

telegraph

Edward Snowden, the US intelligence whistleblower, has declared that the US government will not be able to cover up his revelations about its vast data-collection programme "by jailing or murdering me".

In a defiant webchat on the Guardian website, Mr Snowden said: "Truth is coming, and it cannot be stopped."

Earlier this month, Mr Snowden, a 29-year-old former subcontractor working for the US National Security Agency, fled to Hong Kong with a cache of documents that expose the scale of America's cyber spying programmes. He was responding to a question about whether the documents he removed would still exist if something happened to him.

Mr Snowden described as a "predictable smear" the suggestion that he has supplied – or will do so – intelligence to China or others in exchange for asylum after taking refuge in Hong Kong.

"If I were a Chinese spy, why wouldn't I have flown directly into Beijing?" he wrote, initially without directly denying the point. "I could be living in a palace petting a phoenix by now."

Pressed later for a direct answer on whether he has secretly given classified information to the Chinese government, he said: "No. I have had no contact with the Chinese government."

China has denied allegations Mr Snowden is a spy, but in an indication of how they might approach Mr Snowden’s case, The Global Times state newspaper published an editorial in both its English and Chinese editions calling on Beijing not to return him to the US.

It said that it would be a “face-losing outcome for both the Hong Kong government and the Chinese central government if Snowden is extradited back to the US” and that his “whistle-blowing is in the global public interest”.

Until Monday, the foreign ministry had declined to comment on whether Beijing would intervene.

In the US, Dick Cheney, the former vice-president, suggested that Mr Snowden may be a Chinese spy, adding that the choice of Hong Kong as an asylum destination “raises questions whether or not he had that kind of connection before he did this”.

In response, China’s foreign ministry said that it was “sheer nonsense” to suggest that Mr Snowden was a Chinese agent.

Mr Snowden was asked why he chose Hong Kong as the base from which to leak and did not fly direct to Iceland, which he has stated would have been a preferred country for asylum.

He indicated that he believed the US government would have been able to exert pressure "harder and quicker" on Iceland than on Hong Kong, which is part of China. He also referred to his cloak-and-dagger tactics as he left Hawaii with the downloaded documents.

"Leaving the US was an incredible risk, as NSA employees must declare their foreign travel 30 days in advance and are monitored," he said. "There was a distinct possibility I would be interdicted en route, so I had to travel with no advance booking to a country with the cultural and legal framework to allow me to work without being immediately detained. Hong Kong provided that."

Mr Snowden continued to insist that individual NSA analysts have great scope to access communications of Americans and foreigners, directly contradicting the assertion that "nobody is listening to your telephone calls" by President Barack Obama.

"The reality is that ... Americans' communications are collected and viewed on a daily basis on the certification of an analyst rather than a warrant," he wrote. "They excuse this as "incidental" collection, but at the end of the day, someone at NSA still has the content of your communications.

"And it gets saved for a very long time – and can be extended further with waivers rather than warrants."

He was damning of Mr Obama when asked why he waited to release the documents as he previously said that wanted to tell the world about the NSA programmes since before he became president.

"Obama's campaign promises and election gave me faith that he would lead us toward fixing the problems he outlined in his quest for votes," he responded. "Many Americans felt similarly. Unfortunately, shortly after assuming power, he closed the door on investigating systemic violations of law, deepened and expanded several abusive programs, and refused to spend the political capital to end the kind of human rights violations like we see in Guantánamo, where men still sit without charge."

He was scornful of statements by intelligence chiefs that the programmes he has unveiled have helped thwart terror plots. "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it," he said.

He also accused the US government of character assassination and destroying any prospects of him facing a fair trial in America.

"The US Government, just as they did with other whistle-blowers, immediately and predictably destroyed any possibility of a fair trial at home, openly declaring me guilty of treason and that the disclosure of secret, criminal, and even unconstitutional acts is an unforgivable crime," he said. "That's not justice, and it would be foolish to volunteer yourself to it if you can do more good outside of prison than in it."

UK 'spied' on G-20 delegates: report

LONDON -- Documents leaked by U.S. former spy Edward Snowden appear to show that Britain spied on foreign delegates at the 2009 London G-20 meetings, a newspaper reported Monday.

Among the officials targeted were delegates from NATO ally Turkey and from fellow Commonwealth state South Africa, said British newspaper The Guardian.

Britain used “ground-breaking intelligence capabilities” to monitor communications between officials at the two meetings in April and September of 2009, the daily reported.

The revelations are likely to be an embarrassment to Britain, which is hosting the two-day G-8 summit in Northern Ireland from Monday — the biggest gathering of international leaders since the G-20 four years ago.

British Prime Minister David Cameron refused to comment on the report.

full story: UK 'spied' on G-20 delegates: report - The China Post

If this guy break the US law, than he is a criminal and need to go to jail.

if he continued to live in US and accept US protection, then he would be a criminal. but he now chose to come to hk and live under chinese protection. only he who dispenses protection can degree criminality, and now obama no longer protects snowden and can no longer turn the latter into a criminal; now only chinese authorities can decide whether he is a criminal or now. now while debazi and gangbazi are spineless pigs who crave to criminalize any action that displeasures US, in hong kong the chinese state can easily beat some spine into these spineless gangbazi, so snowden need not worry about the cowardice and (US-)asskissing habits of peripheral chinese like gangbazi and debazi

Edward Snowden breaks silence to defend himself over NSA surveillance leak

telegraph

Edward Snowden, the whistleblowing former CIA employee, has spoken out for the first time since vanishing from his Hong Kong hideout on Monday, vowing to fight extradition to the US and [/B].

edward-snowden_2586012b.jpg

On the record: Edward Snowden, speaking in Hong Kong, worked at the National Security Agency Photo: The Guardian
12 Jun 2013

In an interview with Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post, Mr Snowden said: “My intention is to ask the courts and people of Hong Kong to decide my fate. I have been given no reason to doubt your system.”

"I'm neither traitor nor hero. I'm an American,” he added.

The 29-year-old, who flew to the former British colony on May 20, reportedly spoke of his “fears for his family” after he leaked top-secret details of NSA surveillance techniques to the media and then revealed his identity on Sunday.

Mr Snowden, who talked to the newspaper from a “secret location”, also defended his decision to travel to Hong Kong, which has been widely questioned this week.

“People who think I made a mistake in picking HK as a location misunderstand my intentions. I am not here to hide from justice; I am here to reveal criminality,” he said.

Framing China would only hurt US more

Global Times | 2013-6-18 0:18:02
By Global Times

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/789497.shtml#.Ub-qZh0VI-Y

American politicians are spreading rumors through media that Edward Snowden, the ex-CIA whistleblower, has had "cooperation with Chinese intelligence agencies." Some assumed that Beijing is contacting Snowden and speculated he is a spy for China. Similar remarks were made by Dick Cheney, former American vice-president and Mike Rogers, Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

They are trying to deflect people's attention from Snowden to "what role China will play" in the incident. This is the most realistic choice for the US government. Transforming public anger toward the US government into resentment of the Chinese government will aid Washington at this time.

Washington excels at public relations warfare via the media. Here, China is much less competitive, even though it is on just ground. If conspiracy theories about China are hyped up through the Snowden incident, China will be put under pressure.

However, global public opinion already says the US is in the wrong. Any attempt to frame China would be an overestimation of US ability to control public opinion.

Both the Hong Kong SAR government and the Chinese Central government need to fully consider China's interests while addressing this issue. The hurly-burly of American politicians should be ignored. Their voices have little impact on the Sino-US relationship.

Aside from the pressure Washington is imposing on the Hong Kong SAR government based on their extradition treaty, other aggressive voices have little impact. On the one hand, the US does not have evidence to launch new claims of a "China conspiracy." On the other hand, Snowden has drawn worldwide sympathy. Hong Kong will not lose the high moral ground if it does not extradite Snowden back to the US.

Chinese media should have more contact with Snowden, spreading more valuable information to the world. By doing so, Snowden will continue to be the centerpiece of public opinion, and denunciations by American politicians will be overlooked. The US will flinch at the sight of pro-Snowden public opinion.

The Chinese Central government has been prudent with this issue, and the US government has also refrained from publicly pushing China. Both sides have maintained proper limits, but we cannot expect more from them in dealing with this special case.

The Internet has already become a significant carrier through which the US furthers its goals, and also the platform where China and the US have increasing conflicts.

This incident should make China more aware of the importance of defending itself from the pressures of the US online. Snowden blew the whistle on shady moves by the US in the cyberspace Having this matter unfold without interference meets the expectations of world public opinion.

Arrogance from the US will not help restore what they have lost in this incident, but make itself suffer more.

China rejects spy claims against Snowden

English.news.cn | 2013-06-17 23:27:18 | Editor: Mu Xuequan

China rejects spy claims against Snowden - Xinhua | English.news.cn

BEIJING, June 17 (Xinhua) -- A Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman on Monday described as "sheer nonsense" claims that a former U.S. intelligence contractor who is hiding in Hong Kong was an agent of China.

Hua Chunying made the comment at a daily press briefing after former U.S. vice president Dick Cheney expressed suspicion Sunday that Edward Snowden chose Hong Kong because he was an agent of China.

"This is sheer nonsense," Hua said.

The 29-year-old former CIA-employee fled Hong Kong on May 20 after exposing two classified U.S. National Security Agency surveillance programs, one collecting U.S. phone records and the other mining Internet data.

In Hong Kong, he provided The Guardian with top-secret documents that has led to a series of revelations about the extent of U.S. surveillance, to which several nations, including U.S. allies, have demanded explanations.

"The United States should take the concerns and demands of the international community and the public over this issue seriously, and give a necessary explanation," said the spokeswoman.

How do you know he cannot be used as political bargain chips if he indeed defects???

I highly doubt he defects at all. I think he may just do another Assange.

he came to china. making a stop at hk is just to make this defection look better. this is defection because 1) while he claims to be protected by hk laws, he knows hk laws are really protected by chinese arms and 2) should hk laws refuse to protect him, he knows he can be protected by chinese arms regardless - this is defection because he has forsaken the protection of angloamerican war machines and chosen the strong shield that is the noble chinese military.

How do you know he cannot be used as political bargain chips if he indeed defects???

I highly doubt he defects at all. I think he may just do another Assange.

i think we may be discussing the advantages and costs of an open defection and a disguised one. personally i think if snowden's true intent was to defect, he would prefer to disguise that intent to score maximal political damage to US and gives the best possible (but not perfect) alibi to the chinese state.

you may argue that this might be an assange deal. i would argue assange's ordeal showed there is no place in the world for true anarchists (assange is one) because that which can offer shelter and shield from one's country's law and military force ican only be another country's military force. ESPECIALLY after assange, i don't think snowden wanted to see himself as one and be one.

HK can show freedom in leak case: Chinese media

BEIJING--Hong Kong can showcase its democratic pedigree by its handling of the Edward Snowden case, Chinese state media said Wednesday, in comments appearing to distance Beijing from any decision on his possible extradition.

The semiautonomous territory — which has a separate legal system to mainland China — has the opportunity of “proving itself a free society in front of the world” as Snowden vows to fight any attempt to send him back to the U.S., the Global Times newspaper said.

The editorial also said the territory — which has an extradition treaty with the United States — should decide without interference from the mainland on Snowden's fate.

“Things will go much easier if Hong Kong plays a leading role in resolving this incident, rather than being told by Beijing or Washington what to do,” the editorial said.

“Hong Kong has the chance to expand its political freedom to a larger extent, setting an example for the rest of the world.

The editorial also criticized the U.S. government, which it called “stuck in an embarrassing position,” citing increasing “public sympathy” for Snowden.

“Public opinion will have a large impact on Snowden's destiny,” the editorial said. “It seems that Snowden being extradited back to the U.S. has become an inconceivable option.

“Selfishness has been pushing Washington to employ double standards in political affairs. If it doesn't readjust such policies, its international reputation will be permanently damaged,” it said.

Experts have claimed that Snowden is testing Hong Kong's civil liberties under its “one country, two systems” framework by retreating to the former British colony, which was returned to China in 1997.

The former U.S. intelligence technician leaked details of a vast U.S. program which monitors private Internet traffic and U.S. authorities have launched a criminal investigation.

HK can show freedom in leak case: media - The China Post

Back
Top Bottom