What's new

NSA whistleblower in China

He does not defect to China. He just goes to HK.

Let's not twist what really happens.

He allegedly would like to seek asylum in Iceland.

However, many analysts have already ruled out that possibility as: 1) Iceland is not powerful to protect him. It can easily yield to external pressure; and 2) Iceland is recently so keen in seeking better relationship with USA.

We'll see if China has the guts to show the world that it can provide a place for political dissidents.

Little bit surprised that he doesn't go to Canada where a number of refugees from USA were granted...

Just edit to add more:

...However, Kristin Arnadottir, the Icelandic ambassador to China, pointed out that an asylum cannot be granted to Snowden because Icelandic law requires such applications be made from within the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

He allegedly would like to seek asylum in Iceland.

However, many analysts have already ruled out that possibility as: 1) Iceland is not powerful to protect him. It can easily yield to external pressure; and 2) Iceland is recently so keen in seeking better relationship with USA.

We'll see if China has the guts to show the world that it can provide a place for political dissidents.

Little bit surprised that he doesn't go to Canada where a number of refugees from USA were granted...

waiting on you to have the guts to go do the same too... we have seen China's guts when it is forced to send its dissents , blind ones too to the US

He does not defect to China. He just goes to HK.

Let's not twist what really happens.

Wrong. It is without a shred of doubt China where Snowden went to.

The dude must have watched that Pierce Brosnan’s N Korean episode of 007 multiple times. :rofl: once you’re in HK, you’re under the de facto protection of Chinese National Security Bureau.

This guy is no regular Indian and he doesn’t do random and aren’t fool , because going to HK instead of jetting off so obviously to Beijing or Shanghai approves that it’s the conclusion of a well-planned and thought out research. Either he is very smart and experienced, or he’s under a careful guidance.

HK is no sovereign state, but China, which is in charge of all its int’l diplomatic relations and self-defence. So if the guy is going to file political asylum in HK, which I think he will, China will have the final say on that whenever the US is involved..

He knows that there’re only 2 safe places in the world capable of confronting the US if necessary, one being China the other being Russia – obviously he trusts China more here. Only fools believe he’d like to go to Iceland as he told the press, or India for that matter :cheesy:

Iceland? C’mon, I bet once he’s on his way to Iceland he will be delivered to Gitmo instead, via the US military base in Iceland to refuel of course. :rofl:

Not going to China directly is just to give China a critical leeway, an excuse, to rid of direct responsibility when the US comes forward. While he’s in his HK hotel, I can imagine to fend out potential CIA intrusions there must be a ton of tall, strong, casually dressed square faced Chinese young males hanging out around 24*7. Whom you think they are? HK police? :rofl: if not special ops teams of Chinese National Security Bureau?

Yes, but he has not defected to China. He was in a hotel there and is traveling onwards to country unknown, perhaps Iceland. But we can wait to see where he ends up.

I heard an interview where he says that i am in Hong Kong because of a greater internet freedom. He plans to go to Iceland later.

I heard an interview where he says that i am in Hong Kong because of a greater internet freedom. He plans to go to Iceland later.

I am sure that as the story unfolds, we will know what his intended country of defection and/or asylum will be, eventually. I was merely pointing out the disparity between what the headline claims and what is the reality as far as is known so far, as you yourself pointed out:

He didn't defect to China that he's safe there but because there is better internet freedom in Hong Kong. He plans to leave for Iceland.

While Beijing at times stands up to Washington, it may not want to for Snowden. Beijing has often criticized foreign governments for harboring critics of its Communist government. China also is seeking U.S. cooperation on retrieving corrupt Chinese officials who have fled to America, often with sizeable assets. Cyberhacking and cyberespionage have emerged as the newest friction in relations that Presidents Barack Obama and Xi Jinping pledged over the weekend to improve.

"I can't imagine that after all this effort, they're going to let this one thing make a mess of it," said David Zweig, an expert on Chinese politics at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

Hong Kong Is Unlikely Refuge For Edward Snowden

How come Free America does not tolerate dissent? This is the second big news since Bradley Manning?

because free america is also educated america that knows the difference between dissent and leaking national security related documents. Your free democracy put the guy who helped put the no 1 terrorist to death behind bars.

Anyway, President Barack Hussein Obama has already claimed (and demonstrated) the right (and capacity) to kill Americans on foreign soil by drone strike. The US Navy recently demonstrated carrier-based drone capability. I advise any of you that are in Hong Kong not to stand too close to Mr. Snowden .....

Anyway, President Barack Hussein Obama has already claimed (and demonstrated) the right (and capacity) to kill Americans on foreign soil by drone strike. The US Navy recently demonstrated carrier-based drone capability. I advise any of you that are in Hong Kong not to stand too close to Mr. Snowden .....

Hong Kong is not Irak or afghanistan, ask Chinese air defense first

Just as I thought.. Everything is fixable by a Drone ..

:rofl:

On topic:

He has either ended up in US or has defected further to ##### after all he knows it well where he would he hard to be pursued.

Back
Top Bottom